What kinds of bibles do you have? Different versions? large, small, commentaries, etc?

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used Revised when I first accepted Christ since that's what I had from UMC.

I have KJV, NKJV, NIV (not very good) ASV NASV (favorite) ... and 2 sets of audio CDs both different versions (one dramatic---nice actually) I have a parallel of Greek/English/Hebrew, and a Spanish/English KJV (NKJV?) I've read paraphrased versions (irked me).

I have an app with a wide selection of Versions which also allow parallel readings.

I once had a Cambridge, and also a Scofield. Liked them both for the time in college at least. Wish I hadn't given the Cambridge away but it's font was small--- very small Bible itself. I have two other Bibles, one is by RC Sproul, one by Jack Van Impe (the Walking Bible, prophecy evangelist) for their commentary.

I've used Pink, Unger, Scofield, Thiessen, Matthew, Barclay, Wiersbe, Walvoord, commentaries...
... and Strong's Concordance, Young's Concordance...
A wide selection there. I don't use the Scofield, but do generally identify with the sort of Scripture interpretation that it espouses.

You are right about some Bibles having rather small font; as one gets older it's more of an issue, I find.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I used Revised when I first accepted Christ since that's what I had from UMC.

I have KJV, NKJV, NIV (not very good) ASV NASV (favorite) ... and 2 sets of audio CDs both different versions (one dramatic---nice actually) I have a parallel of Greek/English/Hebrew, and a Spanish/English KJV (NKJV?) I've read paraphrased versions (irked me).

I have an app with a wide selection of Versions which also allow parallel readings.

I once had a Cambridge, and also a Scofield. Liked them both for the time in college at least. Wish I hadn't given the Cambridge away but it's font was small--- very small Bible itself. I have two other Bibles, one is by RC Sproul, one by Jack Van Impe (the Walking Bible, prophecy evangelist) for their commentary.

I've used Pink, Unger, Scofield, Thiessen, Matthew, Barclay, Wiersbe, Walvoord, commentaries...
... and Strong's Concordance, Young's Concordance...
PS: I agree about the NIV; there are various better versions, I think; one thing about the NIV is that it seems to mistranslate sarx/soma - flesh/body, which, for example in Romans 8, can be quite tricky.

• Friendly
Reactions: teresa
Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Geneva Bible: 1560 Edition
The Lutheran Study Bible (ESV) w/ companion volume The Apocrypha: The Lutheran Edition With Notes
NRSV with the Apocrypha
The Orthodox Study Bible (a proprietary translation of the LXX and the NKJV NT)
RSV Catholic Bible
KJV (Cambridge standard text)
St. Joseph NAB
Amplified Bible
GNT
HCSB & CSB
NASB ('71, '77, '95)
NIV (2011)
NIV Greek and English NT
Biblia de America (LBLA)
Die Bibel: Lutherubersetzung

I keep a stack of NKJVs around for gifts. I'm going to order a Knox Bible.

Upvote 0

Northbrook

No sé vivir sin Dios
Jul 19, 2018
Chicago
✟39,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I don't read my Bibles anymore. I just go online to Bible Gateway (website = biblegateway.com). In addition to about 100 translations into English they make available in their entirety for free, there are also many foreign language translations available. It's all free.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you happen to have a bunch of bibles laying around among all your other books?

What kind?

KJV, NKJV, Geneva, and the Orthodox Study Bible.

In general I try to avoid anything that goes under the name "Christian" produced after about the first half of the 20th century.

Upvote 0