What it means to be under the school master...

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The religious Jews understood how being under the law included sin and the punishment for that sin. You break God's Law, you die. That system was the school master that points us to Christ. Under the school master if you sin you die but now if we, who are abiding in Christ, sin the blood of Christ cleanses us.

1 John 1:7 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.

We are no longer under that old system of relating to God but that does not mean sin is no longer sin nor does it mean that we are not to avoid sin.

Romans 6:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!

"Shall we break God's Law because we are no longer under the school master, that old way of relating to God, that old system? certainly not!"

Grace is the absence of punishment, not the absence of Law.

Listen to how all this comes out very clearly with the woman who was caught in adultery.

Now pay close attention to how the religious Jews understood that being under the law meant sin and punishment. This lady, according to the school master, the old system, was to be stoned for breaking God's Law because that's what being under the law meant. The religious Jews were 100% right and biblical but notice how Jesus applies grace but then He tells her to no longer break God's Law.

John 8:1-11 But Jesus went to the Mount of Olives. Now early in the morning He came again into the temple, and all the people came to Him; and He sat down and taught them. Then the scribes and Pharisees brought to Him a woman caught in adultery. And when they had set her in the midst, they said to Him, “Teacher, this woman was caught in adultery, in the very act. Now Moses, in the law, commanded us that such should be stoned. But what do You say?” This they said, testing Him, that they might have something of which to accuse Him. But Jesus stooped down and wrote on the ground with His finger, as though He did not hear. So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more

"Neither do I condemn you (grace) now go and don't break God's Law again."

Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not!

"Shall we continue to break God's Law so He can continue to show no condemnation? Certainly not!"

The grace of God teaches us to deny ungodliness, it doesn't remove that which defines godliness.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Right. Good post, but there is an ambiguity in using the word "law" without a modifier like "sacrificial" law in distinction from "moral law".

I mean, obviously we are no longer required to perform animal sacrifice, so how do you describe that fact?

Upvote 0
N

Nanopants

It's not a sin to for me to eat lobster, and I don't need to be cleansed after eating it, because the ordinances have been taken out of the way.

But that doesn't mean it's ok to take pleasure in unrighteousness. Things like murder, unfaithfulness, betrayal, exploitation and the like are not of God. I don't need the law to tell me that, and if I did, then I would have need of a tutor.

Upvote 0

winslow

Dec 25, 2005
✟8,503.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's not a sin to for me to eat lobster, and I don't need to be cleansed after eating it, because the ordinances have been taken out of the way.

But that doesn't mean it's ok to take pleasure in unrighteousness. Things like murder, unfaithfulness, betrayal, exploitation and the like are not of God. I don't need the law to tell me that, and if I did, then I would have need of a tutor.

There never was a cleansing ritual for eating lobster.

Upvote 0

maco

May 6, 2007
✟2,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right. Good post, but there is an ambiguity in using the word "law" without a modifier like "sacrificial" law in distinction from "moral law".

I mean, obviously we are no longer required to perform animal sacrifice, so how do you describe that fact?

Through the new birth we enter into a different relationship with God. We go from the old system of how we relate to God through the law of sin and death to having a new nature that desires to obey God. The old system of, 'you sin you die', is done away with since the cross. The old system was never God's original intention for His people. In Christ we are born from above by the Spirit of God. In this new birth God empowers us through love to keep His Law from the heart rather than an outward motivation of the fear of punishment.

Romans 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

The law of sin and death was the school master that points us to Christ. When we see Jesus on the cross we understand seriousness of sin and how that should be us. This changes us and we are pricked in the heart not only by how sin hurts God but also by the love and forginessness that is seen in the cross.

Acts 2:36-38 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made the same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.
Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

In the new birth, sin becomes sinful.

Upvote 0