εὐαγγελίου evangelii - Good news!

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
In ancient Rome, the two words that I've shown in the title of this topic were used to Proclaim good news about the conquests of Caesar. Today, in the 21st century, Caesar's conquests are remembered by historians, but they're not good news to people today. Nevertheless, the word was used of Jesus Christ, and when we speak of the good news about Jesus Christ it is still good news to billions of people.

This is the Good News about Jesus Christ, the Son of God. It began as the prophet Isaiah had written: "God said, 'I will send my messenger ahead of you to open the way for you.' Someone is shouting in the desert, 'Get the road ready for the Lord; make a straight path for him to travel!' " So John appeared in the desert, baptizing and preaching. "Turn away from your sins and be baptized," he told the people, "and God will forgive your sins." Many people from the province of Judea and the city of Jerusalem went out to hear John. They confessed their sins, and he baptized them in the Jordan River. John wore clothes made of camel's hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and his food was locusts and wild honey. He announced to the people, "The man who will come after me is much greater than I am. I am not good enough even to bend down and untie his sandals. I baptize you with water, but he will baptize you with the Holy Spirit."​
[Mar 1:1-8]

Our calling as Christians is to proclaim the good news about Jesus to the whole world.

Last edited:

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
The Mosaic Law was how John's audience knew what sin is (Romans 3:20), so repenting from our disobedience to it is a central part of the Good News.
At the start of Mark's gospel, the good news is said to be about Jesus Christ. It isn't about repentance, and it isn't about obedience to the law. It's about Jesus Christ, and it is good news because he came to save us from our sins.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
At the start of Mike's gospel, the good news is said to be about Jesus Christ. He isn't about repentance and it isn't about obedience to the law. It's about Jesus Christ. and it's good news because he came to save us from our sins.
John called them to repent from their sins. Likewise, in Matthew 4:15-23, it describes the Gospel as the message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand. The Mosaic Law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so calling for our repentance from our disobedience to it is the Good News about Jesus Christ and the way that he saves us from continuing to live in sin. Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so repenting and becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through spreading the Gospel of the Kingdom and through the cross.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
John called them to repent from their sins. Likewise, in Matthew 4:15-23, it describes the Gospel as the message to repent for the Kingdom of God is at hand. The Mosaic Law is God's word and Jesus is God's word made flesh, so calling for our repentance from our disobedience to it is the Good News about Jesus Christ and the way that he saves us from continuing to live in sin. Furthermore, in Titus 2:14, Jesus gave himself to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people of his own possession who are zealous for doing good works, so repenting and becoming zealous for doing good works in obedience to the Mosaic Law is the way to believe in what Jesus accomplished through spreading the Gospel of the Kingdom and through the cross.
But we are talking about Mark's gospel we're not talking about John's gospel or Matthew's.

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟284,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
But we are talking about Mark's gospel we're not talking about John's gospel or Matthew's.
I don't see any reason to think that they are different gospels, especially because Mark describes John as giving the message to turn away from our sins.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I don't see any reason to think that they are different gospels, especially because Mark describes John as giving the message to turn away from our sins.
That's a different John; that is John the Baptist.

Upvote 0