What is the obligation of the Christian?

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Until you read the writings of Paul.
1 Cor 6
7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 Such were some of you;

Rom 6
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?
You can defraud me all you like of everything but my salvation. The courts don't take those kind of issues. At least I've not heard of any.

Another issue here at CF is why the staff seems to chase away members. BTW are you filling in for LGW? The usual is to be greeted with a string of his long posts.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We have no "obligation" to do anything after the Grace is given with forgiveness. .

1 Cor 6
7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren.
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 Such were some of you;

Rom 6
12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, 13 and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be! 16 Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?

You can defraud me all you like of everything .

Your response to the mere post of scripture... noted.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That law isn't the covenant law given to Israel.

The Law in Jer 31 is the same LAW that Jeremiah and his contemporary readers knew about (exegesis matters as it turns out) and all Bible scholars know that Jeremiah knew the Ten Commandments were included in the moral law of God...

It is the Law that defines what sin is according to Paul in Rom 3:19-20
John also points this out in 1 John 3:4 "sin IS transgression of the LAW" which is the "Commandments of God" 1 John 5:2-3
It is where "the fifth commandment is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

The "agreement" is not the same as at sinai (different covenant) but the LAW is the same so that means it is "still a sin" to "take God's name in vain"... as it turns out.

No because you're refusing the contents of verse 32. .

vs 32 says "not like the covenant" it does not say "not like the LAW I gave" - thus it is still a "sin" to "take God's name in vain". I think we all knew that.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
oh that's right "Do no take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 -- never quoted in the NT.

And of course "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 never quoted as a statement promoted by anyone after the cross.

I forgot to mention that (since I almost always do mention it) . thanks for bringing it up again.

And your point?
Nothing from the NT that Christians base their relationship with God on. I guess you have hope that I'll forget about passages like Jn 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

and

Gal 5 Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

2 Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.

3 For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.

4 Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

5 For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith.

6 For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love.

7 Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?

8 This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.

9 A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.

10 I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be.

11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

13 For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another.

I guess you're jealous about my liberty.
Ex 20:11 God "created the heavens and the earth the seas and springs of water"
Rev 14:7 worship Him "who created the heavens and the Earth and the springs of water"

Gen 2 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.
Ex 20 " and rested on the seventh day; therefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day and made it holy
Heb 4 "“And God rested on the seventh day from all His works

Heb 4 "there remains therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God"
Mark 2:27 "the Sabbath was made for mankind"

Acts 18:4 "every Sabbath" both Jews and gentiles in the synagogue to hear more Gospel preaching and to worship God.

-- that is an example of "not mentioned" in the NT that
Mentioning the word "sabbath" isn't a command to keep it. Besides that Acts 18:4 doesn't say anything about Christians. It especially doesn't address people who are already persuaded about Jesus Christ the Righteous.
I am NOT talking about when I say --

oh that's right "Do no take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 -- never quoted in the NT.

And of course "Love God with all your heart" Deut 6:5 never quoted as a statement promoted by anyone after the cross.
We know you're not talking about grace. Those quotes are from the law by reference alone.
=============================

Because in the case of the Deut 6:5 and Ex 20:7 they actually are not mentioned as I point out.
Oh yeah you did say not. No I'm not trying to base my argument on legal issues.
True - that is from the New Testament -- nice of you to notice.
What is your pronoun referencing?
Interesting accusation... but you did not prove your accusation was based in fact. Were you not interested in proving your point?.

Let's read it.

Acts 18
4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Both Jews and Greeks meet in the synagogue "every Sabbath" to hear Gospel preaching -- instead of "Just for one or two Sabbaths then they change to start observing week-day-1".
Of course Jews meet in the synagogue on the sabbath and so did some gentiles. The problem with your passage is it doesn't say Christians were present or being persuaded.
Every Sabbath -- means that even those who were accepting the Gospel -- kept meeting "Sabbath aftere Sabbath" for more Gospel preaching.
This is why the Jews chased people who became Christians out of the synagogue. The rulers of the synagogue (Jews) didn't accept Jesus as their Messiah. They despise Jesus still today.

Why don't you worship at the synagogue?
5 But when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul began devoting himself completely to the word, solemnly testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. 6 But when they resisted and blasphemed, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” 7 Then he left there and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a worshiper of God, whose house was next to the synagogue. 8 Crispus, the leader of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his household, and many of the Corinthians when they heard were believing and being baptized.
You make my point for me, except this one leader of the synagogue (Crispus). Crispus is the exception. Also please note that Paul left the synagogue and taught else where. Your synagogue discussion is dead.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1 Cor 6

Rom 6

You quoted 1 Cor 6:7 not me. My comment was on this from that verse.

Why not rather be defrauded?

I then quoted Gal 5 as proof this is what you're trying to do.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The Law in Jer 31 is the same LAW that Jeremiah and his contemporary readers knew about (exegesis matters as it turns out) and all Bible scholars know that Jeremiah knew the Ten Commandments were included in the moral law of God...

John also points this out in 1 John 3:4 "sin IS transgression of the LAW" which is the "Commandments of God" 1 John 5:2-3
It is where "the fifth commandment is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

The "agreement" is not the same as at sinai (different covenant) but the LAW is the same so that means it is "still a sin" to "take God's name in vain"... as it turns out.
You're correct the agreement isn't the same as at Sinai. An agreement is consent to something. An agreement has contents. Moses says the agreement for Israel is found on stone tablets in Deut 4:13. Our discussion in volves what is written on the heart. You can't validate your argument with Jer 31:31-33 that the same covenant (agreement) is written on anyone's heart. The passage says nothing about movement. The passage clearly talks about contents being different. You refuse to accept verse 32 from the sentence.
vs 32 says "not like the covenant" it does not say "not like the LAW I gave" - thus it is still a "sin" to "take God's name in vain". I think we all knew that.
Yes and Deut 4:13 says -

And he declared unto you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, even ten commandments; and he wrote them upon two tables of stone.

This is the covenant made with their fathers when God took them by the hand out of Egypt.

You can change the words all you want to by-pass Scripture.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
We have no "obligation" to do anything after the Grace is given with forgiveness. .

1 Cor 6

Rom 6

You quoted 1 Cor 6:7 not me. My comment was on this from that verse.

Why not rather be defrauded?

I then quoted Gal 5 as proof this is what you're trying to do.

The idea that Paul's statement and instruction in 1 Cor 6 is a kind of evil that in Gal 5 Paul is condemning is not at all proven.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
That law isn't the covenant law given to Israel.

No because you're refusing the contents of verse 32. .

You're correct the agreement isn't the same as at Sinai.

Indeed.

It is the same LAW of God known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-33 but it is not the same "agreement" (covenant) - thus it is still a "sin" to "take God's name in vain" even in the NT where we are told "sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4

How thankful we call can be that both sides of this dicussion agree to this basic Bible detail as we saw in the case of the "Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19 and also the "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19. Two "sunday groups" that agree with the Bible Sabbath groups on this key Bible detail.

This is the "easy part".

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 Cor 6

Rom 6

Bob, how about quoting the next verse from the scripture (1 Corinthians 6). You left it hanging in the air giving people the idea, that they must now obey the law.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 6

Rom 6

Bob, how about quoting the next verse from the scripture (1 Corinthians 6). You left it hanging in the air giving people the idea, that they must now obey the law.

The one that proves beyond all doubt that the 1 Cor 6 instruction applies to saved saints who are in danger of forgetting the reality and applicability of the 1 Cor 6 warning Paul writes about?

Or did you suppose it said "forget what I just said - this is exactly the kind of instruction saints should ignore"???

This is the part where you let us know how you hope it will help the case you would like to make. I know how it helps the point I highlight in 1 Cor 6. Do you know how it might help your opposition to 1 Cor 6 texts quoted??

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 Cor 6

Rom 6

The one that proves beyond all doubt that the 1 Cor 6 instruction applies to saved saints who are in danger of forgetting the reality and applicability of the 1 Cor 6 warning Paul writes about?

Or did you suppose it said "forget what I just said - this is exactly the kind of instruction saints should ignore"???

This is the part where you let us know how you hope it will help the case you would like to make. I know how it helps the point I highlight in 1 Cor 6. Do you know how it might help your opposition to 1 Cor 6 texts quoted??
Relax Bob, your posts are laden with accusations.

Here is the verse you omitted from your quotation of the scripture and a very important verse.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

This verse passage from 1 Corinthians 6, is not just talking about breaking the ten commandments. Because Paul mentions fornicators, the effeminate, homosexuals, drunkards, e.t.c. Paul uses the law and the prophets to remind the Corinthians of who they were, before they put their trust in Jesus Christ.

Now they are washed, sanctified, and justified in and through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 6

Rom 6

That's an interesting accusation.

I asked you for your view -- how you thought the verse might possibly help your argument. Until you do that I am simply guessing at what your thinking might be there.

Here is the verse you omitted from your quotation of the scripture and a very important verse.

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God

Here is the context verse for that statement that I quoted and that you just omitted.

7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren

. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

Indeed - as already stated - this proves that it is to the born-again saved Christian that this dire warning is given. I have already stated that this is devastating to your POV.

It is the "once saved" that are getting this "it is already a defeat for you" dire warning along with "do not be deceived".

This verse passage from 1 Corinthians 6, is not just talking about breaking the ten commandments. Because Paul mentions fornicators, the effeminate, homosexuals, drunkards, e.t.c. Paul uses the law and the prophets

Indeed - reminds them of sin as defined by scripture - and then tells them that such a group of sinners - they used to be before getting saved. (Still can't see how this is helping your argument)

Now they are washed, sanctified, and justified in and through Jesus Christ - yet still under the dire warning with the summary statement "it is already a defeat for you" -- the very verse you just omitted from your quote of the texts I just gave you. Paul is telling them they cannot go down the "already a defeat for you path" without "consequences"

Were we simply "not supposed to notice"???

9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
[QUOTE="BobRyan, post: 73593889, member: 235244]
Interesting accusation... but you did not prove your accusation was based in fact. Were you not interested in proving your point?.

[/quote]Only cause you didn't read my post. Ex 31:13 and your Mk 2:27 don't agree. So one of them is lying.
Let's read it.

Acts 18
4 And he was reasoning in the synagogue every Sabbath and trying to persuade Jews and Greeks.

Both Jews and Greeks meet in the synagogue "every Sabbath" to hear Gospel preaching -- instead of "Just for one or two Sabbaths then they change to start observing week-day-1".

Every Sabbath -- means that even those who were accepting the Gospel -- kept meeting "Sabbath aftere Sabbath" for more Gospel preaching.
Only for a while. Haven't you read what the Jews did to Christians attending the synagogue? If I was a Christian attending the synagogue, I hope God would give me enough smarts to not attend. BTW why don't you attend the synagogue?
5 But when Silas and Timothy came down from Macedonia, Paul began devoting himself completely to the word, solemnly testifying to the Jews that Jesus was the Christ. 6 But when they resisted and blasphemed, he shook out his garments and said to them, “Your blood be on your own heads! I am clean. From now on I will go to the Gentiles.” 7 Then he left there and went to the house of a man named Titius Justus, a worshiper of God, whose house was next to the synagogue. 8 Crispus, the leader of the synagogue, believed in the Lord with all his household, and many of the Corinthians when they heard were believing and being baptized.
Yes Paul left the synagogue. Your proof that Paul taught only on the sabbath in Titus Justus' house is .... well missing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

The covenant is the law. You say the famous 10 are the law and Moses says they're the covenant, which is the same thing. So you keep trying to use sophistry to confuse people.
Indeed.

It is the same LAW of God known to Jeremiah and his readers in Jer 31:31-33 but it is not the same "agreement" (covenant) - thus it is still a "sin" to "take God's name in vain" even in the NT where we are told "sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4
This is nothing but a repeat of the above. Again you refuse to believe Jer 31:32 and Deut 4:13.
How thankful we call can be that both sides of this dicussion agree to this basic Bible detail as we saw in the case of the "Westminster Confession of Faith" sectn 19 and also the "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19. Two "sunday groups" that agree with the Bible Sabbath groups on this key Bible detail.

This is the "easy part".
The Church of England doesn't physically observe the 7th day sabbath.

Upvote 0

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That would be nice of him. Thew problem is it doesn't fit his paradigm.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ace of hearts

Nov 15, 2018
west coast
✟39,128.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, 10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.
Who are you calling the unrighteous? Isn't it those that don't keep the sabbath? Are we not supposed to understand who you are talking about?

Upvote 0

klutedavid

Dec 7, 2013
Sydney, Australia.
✟244,844.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
1 Cor 6

Rom 6

I asked you for your view -- how you thought the verse might possibly help your argument. Until you do that I am simply guessing at what your thinking might be there.

Here is the context verse for that statement that I quoted and that you just omitted.

7 Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded? 8 On the contrary, you yourselves wrong and defraud. You do this even to your brethren

Indeed - as already stated - this proves that it is to the born-again saved Christian that this dire warning is given. I have already stated that this is devastating to your POV.

It is the "once saved" that are getting this "it is already a defeat for you" dire warning along with "do not be deceived".

Indeed - reminds them of sin as defined by scripture - and then tells them that such a group of sinners - they used to be before getting saved. (Still can't see how this is helping your argument)

Now they are washed, sanctified, and justified in and through Jesus Christ - yet still under the dire warning with the summary statement "it is already a defeat for you" -- the very verse you just omitted from your quote of the texts I just gave you. Paul is telling them they cannot go down the "already a defeat for you path" without "consequences"

Now Bob, how about you explain this passage from 1 Corinthians 6.

1 Corinthians 6:16-18
Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, “The two shall become one flesh.” But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him. Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.

• Agree
Reactions: ace of hearts
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,157.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

1 Cor 6

Rom 6

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God

. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God.

This verse passage from 1 Corinthians 6, is not just talking about breaking the ten commandments. Because Paul mentions fornicators, the effeminate, homosexuals, drunkards, e.t.c. Paul uses the law and the prophets

Now Bob, how about you explain this passage from 1 Corinthians 6.

ahhh the solution of form "let's talk about something else"?? while ignoring every point raised?

1 Corinthians 6:16-18
Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, “The two shall become one flesh.” But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him. Flee immorality. Every other sin that a man commits is outside the body, but the immoral man sins against his own body.[/QUOTE]

1 Cor 6
18 Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

1 John 3:4 "SIN IS transgression of the LAW"

1 Cor 6

It is still a "sin" to "take God's name in vain" Ex 20:7 even in the NT
The LAW of God written on the heart Jer 31:31-33 the LAW known to Jeremiah -- under the New Covenant.

And that LAW is the one where "the fifth commandment is the first commandment with a promise" Eph 6:2

Upvote 0