Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
What I have heard about it, is it's some "heavenly language, only understood by God" I've also heard that, it's what you do when you don't know what to pray for, or something along those lines. I don't quite understand it, I figure if I don't know what to pray for, I just be silent, and let my heart speak to God. what is it, and what does the Bible say about it?

Thanks, And God bless :).

Reactions: Jenniferdiana

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Tongues is traditionally the ability to speak in a foreign language for the purpose of spreading the gospel.

There is also the tongues of angels which is a prayer language you can use when talking to God.

These are gifts of the Holy Spirit and not everyone experiences this.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't see in Scripture what you said in the second sentence, John. I believe in speaking plainly to God from our heart. Babel is an excuse to not speak to God, and just utter noises and say: "God will decide what I am saying, so I don't have to". That is nonsense and a deceit of Satan to give him opportunity to insult and blaspheme God through a babbler.

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't see in Scripture what you said in the second sentence, John. I believe in speaking plainly to God from our heart. Babel is an excuse to not speak to God, and just utter noises and say: "God will decide what I am saying, so I don't have to". That is nonsense and a deceit of Satan to give him opportunity to insult and blaspheme God through a babbler.

Hi watchman,

It is generally thought that in the following passage when Paul speaks of the tongues of angels that he is speaking of a heavenly language.

1 Corinthians 13:1
Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hi watchman,

It is generally thought that in the following passage when Paul speaks of the tongues of angels that he is speaking of a heavenly language.

Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal.

Angels only have spoken in a language that people could understand. There is no "mystical angelic language" that sounds otherworldly etc.

That's a false language. Most of the "Tongues" spoken in church is literal babbling, nonsense that does not come from God. It's intended to be well meaning but is based on misinterpretation and misunderstandings and a desire to have a "miracle" of sorts occur in the church.

There is no love in modern tongue talking. It sounds clumsy and like "sounding brass or a clanging cymbal".

Paul wrote of someone speaking in an unknown tongue which means a foreign language and that they would need an interpreter which is a translator. It's nothing more or less than translating a foreign language so people can understand what is being spoken.

Reactions: PastorBen
Upvote 0

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Angels only have spoken in a language that people could understand. There is no "mystical angelic language" that sounds otherworldly etc.

That's a false language. Most of the "Tongues" spoken in church is literal babbling, nonsense that does not come from God. It's intended to be well meaning but is based on misinterpretation and misunderstandings and a desire to have a "miracle" of sorts occur in the church.

There is no love in modern tongue talking. It sounds clumsy and like "sounding brass or a clanging cymbal".

Paul wrote of someone speaking in an unknown tongue which means a foreign language and that they would need an interpreter which is a translator. It's nothing more or less than translating a foreign language so people can understand what is being spoken.

How then do you explain the following?

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
How then do you explain the following?

1 Corinthians 14:2
For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

The context is a language others don't know. If you speak, only you and God will understand but others will not.

1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Co 14:3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.
1Co 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.
1Co 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
1Co 14:6 Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine?
1Co 14:7 And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped?
1Co 14:8 For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?
1Co 14:9 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air.

Speak into the air and to God which verse 2 addresses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

John Davidson

Apr 6, 2016
United States
✟20,664.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The context is a language others don't know. If you speak, only you and God will understand but others will not.

If a foreign language is spoken then the possibility exists that some will understand but that is not what is mentioned in that verse.

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟917,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
If a foreign language is spoken then the possibility exists that some will understand but that is not what is mentioned in that verse.

Paul is using the example of no one else knowing the language so they person has to translate or else no one will understand.

Upvote 0

1watchman

Overseer
Site Supporter
Oct 9, 2010
Washington State
✟358,358.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi watchman,

Well, I know the pentecostals think something like that, but comparing all Scripture and some Bible scholars, I see the speaking of Angels as their Godly knowledge and divine truth compared to the thoughts of mankind. They speak what we don't fully know, even beyond what our Bible shows us. God doesn't tell man all things, just what He expects us to keep and live while we are here. God truly does not expect man to speak as the Angels do. Look up always!

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
What I have heard about it, is it's some "heavenly language, only understood by God" I've also heard that, it's what you do when you don't know what to pray for, or something along those lines. I don't quite understand it, I figure if I don't know what to pray for, I just be silent, and let my heart speak to God. what is it, and what does the Bible say about it?

Thanks, And God bless :).

The Greek word is glossolalia, it means "languages". In the 2nd chapter of the Acts of the Apostles on the Jewish Feast of Pentecost the Holy Spirit was poured out upon the Church gathered in the upper room just days after the Lord Jesus ascended to heaven. This event was accompanied by those gathered speaking in languages ("tongues"). Pentecost was one of the three Jewish pilgrim feasts, so there were many Jewish pilgrims in Jerusalem at the time, and they heard those speaking speaking in their own languages and dialects (the text tells us that these pilgrims were from many different places, as far as Arabia). In other words, the disciples gathered on Pentecost were speaking actual languages that were understandable to people present. The Acts of the Apostles records a couple other cases where speaking in languages is connected with the Holy Spirit, where Peter preached the Gospel to the Gentile Cornelius and a smaller Pentecost-like event transpired, and another time when Paul meets some disciples of John the Baptist in the city of Ephesus, Paul baptizes them and afterward lays hands on them, and they spoke in languages.

The only other place that really tells us about the phenomenon is in St. Paul's 1st letter to the Corinthians, where he mentions glossolalia as one of the spiritual gifts which the Holy Spirit gives Christians, it's mentioned along with many other gifts. Paul seems to specifically pick glossolalia to focus on in chapters 12, 13, and 14 in the letter because the Corinthian church kind of had a lot of problems, and one problem was a disorderly usage of gifts, in particular perhaps glossolalia. In 1 Corinthians ch. 14 St. Paul suggests that if glossolalia is used within Christian worship, it should be part of basic order and only 2 or 3 ought to speak, and if they speak in a tongue at all, it is to be accompanied with translation. Paul in fact goes on to say that it is better to prophesy where everyone can understand rather than, perhaps, speak in a tongue which nobody present understands, because it can't edify anyone. Further, the Apostle explains that the chief point in glossolalia is that it's a sign for the unbelieving, not the believing, he quotes the prophet Isaiah who says that even if people with foreign speech were to speak to them, they (Israel) would not accept it, and so Paul seems to indicate that the gift of tongues was a sign of judgment against unbelieving Israel.

There's nothing in Scripture to suggest that "tongues" are some kind of "heavenly language", the closest any can really make to a statement like that is where Paul says in 1 Corinthians 13, "If I speak in the languages of men or angels, but have not love, I am but a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal". That doesn't say there is some sort of angelic language, Paul uses it here hypothetically. Every example of glossolalia we have in Scripture indicates it is an actual, spoken, intelligible human language; and that when exercised within the context of gathered Christian worship it should always be accompanied by an interpreter so that everyone may benefit from what is said; otherwise one should remain quiet.

I would argue that what is often called "tongues" today is a rather modern phenomenon that has no real connection with what took place two thousand years ago and is recorded in the New Testament. There is an extensive amount of "theology" connected with modern tongues that is built not upon biblical exegesis and historic Christian teaching, but largely constructed ad hoc upon the individual experiences from within revivalistic and charismatic circles beginning within the 19th century. Actual glossolalia is an intelligible human language; if someone who had never been exposed to or learned French suddenly spoke in French, that would be an authentic example of glossolalia--if what one is uttering is effectively ecstatic babble, there are psychological explanations behind the phenomenon, it's not a divine activity and it isn't from the Holy Spirit--though it's not necessarily from an evil spirit either, it's probably just a product of the human mind.

Ecstatic babble is a common phenomenon across human societies, and is found in a number of spiritual traditions, some would argue that's evidence that it is demonic, I'd say it's just evidence of that its source is human, not supernatural at all.

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: ewq1938
Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Are you meaning this? Romans 8:26

King James Bible
Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟801,631.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I Cor 14 is mainly about tongues and includes "... forbid not to speak with tongues." There's diversities of tongues (I Cor 12:10, 28) that includes tongues for (1) believer edification (usually referred to as prayer language) (I Cor 14:4) and (2) church edification (I Cor 14:5). This is usually a message in tongues with interpretation (I Cor 12:10).

Tongues are to glorify G_d (John 15:26), help pray in the spirit to Him (I Cor 14), magnifies Him (Acts 10:47), etc. If interested, Dr. Hamon's has written 70 Reasons for Speaking in Tongues (Amazon).

"What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also" I Cor 14:15

Upvote 0