Why is it that I do not sense the Holy Spirit's presence or voice when I pray to him?

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
As I understand it, in the Catholic Church, "the state of grace" is the state of the soul in which the Holy Spirit dwells inside of the soul. On the contrary, the state of mortal sin, is when you have committed such a heinous sin, that the Holy Spirit departs from your soul.
Then why is it, that when I cry out to the Holy Spirit for him to guide me, help me, and heal me, he never seems to answer?
I have no conscious mortal sin on my soul.
Why is it that I cannot seem to get into contact with the Holy Spirit, when I need it the most? I need to ask him for things, yet my prayers are never heard. I would like to speak to God the way a human being speaks to another.
Why then is it that I cannot sense his presence (inside or outside of me), or that I cannot hear his voice?
My life is a mess. I don't even know how to untangle myself from my problems. I have tried to do that, for years and years, and things have only gotten worse. I literally need God's guidance and help in these very specific problems, but I cannot sense an answer. I have literally been asking him for years. Yet he never answers.
Does he hate me? Did I lose the Holy Spirit at some point? Did I really receive the Holy Spirit? These questions are in my mind constantly, and have been for a longer time. Coupled with the fear of Hell, this is enough to make anyone crazy.
I also doubt whether or not I am in the state of mortal sin or in the state of grace constantly, because I literally cannot feel any difference. Is this a bad sign? Perhaps my conscience has become seared? I do not understand myself, nor did I ever.
Sometimes I just think to myself "f-k it, what is the point of trying to be a good Christian, since I do not know if I am in the state of grace, I cannot be sure that I will go to Heaven, I will probably go to Hell" and so I presume on God's mercy.
I do not understand why God does not want to speak to me, even when I am sincere in my intentions and in my heart???

Last edited:

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
As I understand it, in the Catholic Church, "the state of grace" is the state of the soul in which the Holy Spirit dwells inside of the soul. On the contrary, the state of mortal sin, is when you have committed such a heinous sin, that the Holy Spirit departs from your soul.
Then why is it, that when I cry out to the Holy Spirit for him to guide me, help me, and heal me, he never seems to answer?
Why is it that I cannot seem to get into contact with the Holy Spirit, when I need it the most? I need to ask him for things, yet my prayers are never heard. I would like to speak to God the way a human being speaks to another.
Why then is it that I cannot sense his presence (inside or outside of me), or that I cannot hear his voice?
My life is a mess. I don't even know how to untangle myself from my problems. I have tried to do that, for years and years, and things have only gotten worse. I literally need God's guidance and help in these very specific problems, but I cannot sense an answer. I have literally been asking him for years. Yet he never answers.
Does he hate me? Did I lose the Holy Spirit at some point? Did I really receive the Holy Spirit? These questions are in my mind constantly, and have been for a longer time. Coupled with the fear of Hell, this is enough to make anyone crazy.
I also doubt whether or not I am in the state of mortal sin or in the state of grace constantly, because I literally cannot feel any difference. Is this a bad sign? Perhaps my conscience has become seared? I do not understand myself, nor did I ever.
Sometimes I just think to myself "f-k it, what is the point of trying to be a good Christian, since I do not know if I am in the state of grace, I cannot be sure that I will go to Heaven, I will probably go to Hell" and so I presume on God's mercy.
I do not understand why God does not want to speak to me, even when I am sincere in my intentions and in my heart???

Sometimes I just think to myself "f-k it, what is the point of trying to be a good Christian, since I do not know if I am in the state of grace,

Does that help answer at least some of your questions?

I'm sorry to hear of the hard time you have been having.
There are a few questions that might prove helpful. One question you could ask is:
Have I been reading and studying the Bible, or just listening to someone give sermons?

Another, is:
Is God real to me, or do I doubt that there is a God, or one that cares, anyway?

There are others, but if you would like, I can discuss some more with you via Personal Message, if you welcome that.

Reactions: headphones777
Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

Sometimes I just think to myself "f-k it, what is the point of trying to be a good Christian, since I do not know if I am in the state of grace,

Does that help answer at least some of your questions?

I'm sorry to hear of the hard time you have been having.
There are a few questions that might prove helpful. One question you could ask is:
Have I been reading and studying the Bible, or just listening to someone give sermons?

Another, is:
Is God real to me, or do I doubt that there is a God, or one that cares, anyway?

There are others, but if you would like, I can discuss some more with you via Personal Message, if you welcome that.
Hi, thanks for replying. You can send me a PM if you want.
The answer to the first question is: yes, I have been reading the Bible and going to Church.

For example, today I was reading Psalms 111:10: "
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom;
all who follow his precepts have good understanding."
And I thought to myself: "I want to receive wisdom and insight... so why is it that I am unable to "see" God's will for me in my particular situation and in my life? (in my Bible, it was more along the lines of "[...] all who do his will receive insight") and so I became frustrated, because I could not find an answer to the question of God's will for me in this particular situation.
The answer to the second question is: I do believe that God exists (by virtue of reason), but he does not seem real to me. I cannot feel his presence, not even when I receive the Eucharist. I recently read an account of someone receiving their first communion as a seven-year-old, and they felt an immense, supernatural joy and love. This never happened to me when I received the first time. I do not understand why this is.
I don't understand what you meant by the first part; you just copied two parts of my text and put them together.
I have literally begged God for the gift of wisdom; yet I am none the wiser, and my family always point out to me how foolish my decisions are.
Thanks for replying.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I used to be Roman Catholic and I constantly struggled with wondering if I was in a state of grace, if I'd lost the Holy Spirit, etc. I was scrupulous and would go to confession weekly and then after confession I would worry that I'd done something wrong or had a thought that was a mortal sin. It was terrible.

For various other reasons I ended up becoming Protestant, and I no longer struggle with this. I'm not saying this is the solution for you, but maybe you can let go of the idea of being in a state of grace or mortal sin and just practice trusting God, trusting Jesus, trusting that the Holy Spirit is with you.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I used to be Roman Catholic and I constantly struggled with wondering if I was in a state of grace, if I'd lost the Holy Spirit, etc. I was scrupulous and would go to confession weekly and then after confession I would worry that I'd done something wrong or had a thought that was a mortal sin. It was terrible.

For various other reasons I ended up becoming Protestant, and I no longer struggle with this. I'm not saying this is the solution for you, but maybe you can let go of the idea of being in a state of grace or mortal sin and just practice trusting God, trusting Jesus, trusting that the Holy Spirit is with you.
I see. Yeah, perhaps.
In a way I am glad you echoed my sentiment, because it proves to me that there are people who think the same way as me like me out there, and that perhaps I'm not crazy? If you get what I mean.
Glad you were able to find peace by becoming Protestant.

Upvote 0

Margaret3110

Feb 27, 2020
NM
✟34,313.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I see. Yeah, perhaps.
In a way I am glad you echoed my sentiment, because it proves to me that there are people who think the same way as me like me out there, and that perhaps I'm not crazy? If you get what I mean.
Glad you were able to find peace by becoming Protestant.
You're not crazy. There are definitely other people out there who feel this way. I pray that you will find peace also, however that may happen. God is present and loves you, whether you're able to feel it or not.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You say, "what is the point of trying to be a good Christian?" - - you mean, if you're not sure you are in the state of grace.

If we do what is wrong, we can go down faster. Every sin can contribute to us getting worse, and becoming weaker so we can deeply suffer more.

And God does not want that; God does care about each of us > Jesus died for every person. Jesus suffered like that for you and died for you; and He knows how you are now, and He died for you.

So, Jesus is not at all conceited, but so humble that He cares about you and suffered and died for you. So, even if it were true that He has not talked with you, as you claim, His actions should tell you plenty.

And in the Bible we have what Jesus has already said to you and all of us.

So, I would say be appreciative of what Jesus has done for you and said in God's word, already. And trust Him about this.

God is not giving you the silent treatment, but He is quiet and our own noise can keep us from hearing Him. And our drives and demands and dominating feelings and dictatorial reacting can keep us from sensing Him, sharing with Him, submitting to Him in His peace.

Upvote 0

headphones777

Aug 2, 2022
Colombo
✟21,071.00
Country
Sri Lanka
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
You say, "what is the point of trying to be a good Christian?" - - you mean, if you're not sure you are in the state of grace.

If we do what is wrong, we can go down faster. Every sin can contribute to us getting worse, and becoming weaker so we can deeply suffer more.

And God does not want that; God does care about each of us > Jesus died for every person. Jesus suffered like that for you and died for you; and He knows how you are now, and He died for you.

So, Jesus is not at all conceited, but so humble that He cares about you and suffered and died for you. So, even if it were true that He has not talked with you, as you claim, His actions should tell you plenty.

And in the Bible we have what Jesus has already said to you and all of us.

So, I would say be appreciative of what Jesus has done for you and said in God's word, already. And trust Him about this.

God is not giving you the silent treatment, but He is quiet and our own noise can keep us from hearing Him. And our drives and demands and dominating feelings and dictatorial reacting can keep us from sensing Him, sharing with Him, submitting to Him in His peace.
Alright. Fair enough, but how do I even begin to do that? I want nothing more than to deepen my relationship with God, yet I am absolutely not advancing the spiritual life. And it has been like this for several years. Nor am I advancing in prayer.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,675.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Alright. Fair enough, but how do I even begin to do that? I want nothing more than to deepen my relationship with God, yet I am absolutely not advancing the spiritual life. And it has been like this for several years. Nor am I advancing in prayer.
I, of course, do not know why this keeps being a problem for you. But now we pray for you . . .

We have hope for you, in prayer. You have us praying for you. We trust you to God.

Possibly, simply be quiet in prayer, and trust God to say to you and do with you whatever He pleases now.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I am shocked that more people do not have sympathy for your situation.

What you are experiencing is NORMAL. It's called the dark night of the soul. Even Jesus experienced this on the cross when he said, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me." When Jesus needed God most, God had withdrawn from Him.

I would suggest watching this video if you want more info on this.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟798,283.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What's your favorite worship songs? You know - the ones where the lyrics are all about God. Wherever you are, you're singing to an audience of One. If you don't care for the music, what an opportunity to enter anyway "Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name." (Psa 100:4). Of course,, being thankful for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Confused-by-christianity

May 6, 2020
No location
✟116,531.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
... but I cannot sense an answer. I have literally been asking him for years. Yet he never answers.
Someone told me that the presence of god is mostly felt when you love others and serve them.

I thought they were right about that after trying it myself. Create community and serve them.

Reactions: Seeker47
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His Holy Spirit convicts us of sin so that we are moved to repentance. It is not a feeling but rather a spiritual state of being, union. Our prayers and supplications are directed to our Father. Doubt will " quench " His work in you. Go back to your first love , Jesus Christ of Nazareth. It is Him who continually abides in the believer unless the beliver has not put on the " full armor of God" through LOVE.
Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The presence of the Holy Spirit is not an emotional one (feeling)

Self examination of your life lets you know if you are being lead by the Holy Spirit ... that is ... is your life trending away from sin or towards it.

If one is trending away from sin ... the Holy Spirit is working in your life. The more the Spirit works in your life the more peace you will have in it.

The work of the Holy Spirit continues through out ones earthly lifetime ... we will mess up here and there. We are being sanctified by the Spirit. Sanctification is continuous throughout ones earthly life time.

Philippians 1:6 And I am certain that God, who began the good work within you, will continue his work until it is finally finished on the day when Christ Jesus returns.

And we believe it .... because as time goes on changes occur ... trending away from sin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I am shocked that more people do not have sympathy for your situation.

What you are experiencing is NORMAL. It's called the dark night of the soul. Even Jesus experienced this on the cross when he said, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me." When Jesus needed God most, God had withdrawn from Him.

I would suggest watching this video if you want more info on this.

That was a great video

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟177,253.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That was a great video

Dr. Ortlund always does quality videos like this. I highly recommend checking out his channel and subscribing if you would benefit from it.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hi, thanks for replying. You can send me a PM if you want.
Thanks.

The answer to the first question is: yes, I have been reading the Bible and going to Church.
Good.

And I thought to myself: "I want to receive wisdom and insight... so why is it that I am unable to "see" God's will for me in my particular situation and in my life? (in my Bible, it was more along the lines of "[...] all who do his will receive insight") and so I became frustrated, because I could not find an answer to the question of God's will for me in this particular situation.
The answer to the second question is: I do believe that God exists (by virtue of reason), but he does not seem real to me. I cannot feel his presence, not even when I receive the Eucharist. I recently read an account of someone receiving their first communion as a seven-year-old, and they felt an immense, supernatural joy and love. This never happened to me when I received the first time. I do not understand why this is.
Sometimes we have to wait patiently on God.
There are reasons why.
For one thing, it allows us to develop qualities we may be lacking Example: Moses took 40 years to develop humility, before God considered him ready for the assignment to deliver Israel from Egypt.
For another, God may allow our integrity to be tested. Example: Job was allowed to undergo severe tests of his integrity. He passed the test, because he refused to curse God, despite thinking that the bad he experienced was from God.

Our patient endurance demonstrate our faith and trust in God.

I don't understand what you meant by the first part; you just copied two parts of my text and put them together.
You asked yourself Did I lose the Holy Spirit at some point? Did I really receive the Holy Spirit?
You said, Sometimes I just think to myself "f-k it, what is the point of trying to be a good Christian, since I do not know if I am in the state of grace

Ask yourself, does having the holy spirit produce rotten fruit, or good fruit? Galatians 5:1-25

Jesus said, Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man.” But those things which proceed out of the mouth come from the heart, and they defile a man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies. These are the things which defile a man, but to eat with unwashed hands does not defile a man.”
Matthew 15:11, 18-20

I have literally begged God for the gift of wisdom; yet I am none the wiser, and my family always point out to me how foolish my decisions are.
I understand.

Thanks for replying.
Happy to do so. I'll talk to you later.

Upvote 0

FutureAndAHope

Just me
Site Supporter
Aug 30, 2008
Australia
Visit site
✟736,252.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have been a Christian for many years, although I may occasionally feel a "small" inner leading of the Holy Spirit. I rarely hear Him speak and have no real feeling associated with God's presence. It is really incorrect to think you need to. The idea is pushed by people who "may" feel God's presence, and they think everyone must also feel it. The reality is God gives different life journies to different people.

Upvote 0

Seeker47

Jul 5, 2022
Sunnyside
✟10,942.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise and worship invites his presence. Loving others, helping them, and praying for them also brings you closer to God. Make everything about him and his will, and you will have what you need.

Matthew 6:33 (NKJV) “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”

Reactions: friend of
Upvote 0