Deadworm

May 26, 2016
Colville, WA 99114
✟68,313.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Since the Gospel texts are ambiguous on this question, let's look at the unanimous interpretation of the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit in the first two centuries. Both The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (The Didache--95 AD) and Irenaeus (180 AD) identify this sin as the refusal to acknowledge the divine source of Spirit-inspired prophesying:

"And every prophet who speaks in the Spirit you shall neither try nor judge; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven. But not every one who speaks in the Spirit is a prophet; but only if he holds the ways of the Lord (Didache 11). "

"[Heretics] set aside both the Gospel and the prophetic Spirit...For in the Epistle to the Corinthians he [Paul] speaks expressly of prophetic gifts, and recognizes men and women prophesying in the Church. Therefore, sinning...against the Spirit of God, they fall into the unforgivable sin (Irenaeus AH 3.11.9).

Jesus' charge about the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit in Matthew 12:31-32 must be understood in terms of the Jewish rejection of His kingdom teaching ministry, and not just His exorcisms. Jesus is identified as a prophet in the surrounding context (see 10:41; 13:57).

So who is in danger of committing this sin? Among others, Cessationists who reject the ongoing validity of the gifts of prophecy, speaking in tongues, and the interpretation of tongues. When believers encounter a genuine manifestation of the gift of prophecy and resist the Spirit's promptings and inner witness on doctrinal grounds, they are in danger of committing the unpardonable sin.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
My view after suffering paranoia over this question:

If you're worried about it you haven't done it - no matter how hard the evil one wants to convince you that you have.

It's impossible for the elect to commit this sin, The Holy Spirit in present within you and Jesus will not lose what belongs to Him, He paid eternally so that we can Love Him and be with Him forever.

If you have committed this sin, God never knew you and I doubt that this question would be nagging on the mind of the guilty, they would be busy trying to make the most of their life, in their way, in their forever deceived state - never knowing the Truth.

• Winner
Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Since the Gospel texts are ambiguous on this question, let's look at the unanimous interpretation of the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit in the first two centuries. Both The Teaching of the Twelve Apostles (The Didache--95 AD) and Irenaeus (180 AD) identify this sin as the refusal to acknowledge the divine source of Spirit-inspired prophesying:

"And every prophet who speaks in the Spirit you shall neither try nor judge; for every sin shall be forgiven, but this sin shall not be forgiven. But not every one who speaks in the Spirit is a prophet; but only if he holds the ways of the Lord (Didache 11). "

"[Heretics] set aside both the Gospel and the prophetic Spirit...For in the Epistle to the Corinthians he [Paul] speaks expressly of prophetic gifts, and recognizes men and women prophesying in the Church. Therefore, sinning...against the Spirit of God, they fall into the unforgivable sin (Irenaeus AH 3.11.9).

Jesus' charge about the unpardonable sin against the Holy Spirit in Matthew 12:31-32 must be understood in terms of the Jewish rejection of His kingdom teaching ministry, and not just His exorcisms. Jesus is identified as a prophet in the surrounding context (see 10:41; 13:57).

So who is in danger of committing this sin? Among others, Cessationists who reject the ongoing validity of the gifts of prophecy, speaking in tongues, and the interpretation of tongues. When believers encounter a genuine manifestation of the gift of prophecy and resist the Spirit's promptings and inner witness on doctrinal grounds, they are in danger of committing the unpardonable sin.

Cessationist teachers are even in worse trouble! I love the Didiche and also The Epistle of Barnabas, not to be confused with the Muslim Gospel of Barnabas. In fact, the Didiche quotes from the EofB. Personally, and I know I'm in the minority, I believe the EofB is a missing inspired book in the canon. Can you be saved without it? Yes, but it answers a lot of holes in the scriptures, like on abortion, the Sabbath and the reason some meats were deemed unclean meats. I love it.

Upvote 0

Winken

Heimat
Site Supporter
Sep 24, 2010
✟168,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You equate blasphemy of the Holy Spirit to not choosing Christ. Others have done that. But not choosing Christ is forgivable if that person changes their heart, therefore, it isn't that simple. Guys, blasphemy means to SPEAK EVIL OF, to SPEAK AGAINST, to SLANDER.... which is all something we VERBALIZE. This is NOT the concept of not making a decision, not repeating the "sinners prayer" (which isn't even in Scripture).... it is SPEAKING evil again... in this case... the Holy Spirit.

The context of Messiah's comment starts here...

Matthew 12:24 Now when the Pharisees heard it they said, "This fellow does not cast out demons except by Beelzebub (satan), the ruler of the demons."

With respect to you all, the idea that blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is not making a choice for Christ sounds great, but it isn't what the words mean or what the context of the Scriptural reference is pointing to.
I'd sure like to see some examples that ditto your post. Otherwise, we are all walking on thin ice.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd sure like to see some examples that ditto your post. Otherwise, we are all walking on thin ice.
The bottom line here Winken, is that the word blasphemy is dealing with speech. Slander, giving a bad report, speaking evil against... all things that involve verbalizing something. So the idea that this is dying without being convinced that Yeshua is messiah in your mind and heart is just not consistent with the word itself. That certainly (not believing) isn't a good place to be... but that IS forgivable, I am living proof, you might be too. Blasphemy involves speaking. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
Drouin, Victoria, Australia
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Matthew 12:22 Then was brought unto him one possessed with a devil, blind, and dumb: and he healed him, insomuch that the blind and dumb both spake and saw.

Mat 12:23 And all the people were amazed, and said, Is not this the son of David?

Mat 12:24 But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, This fellow doth not cast out devils, but by Beelzebub the prince of the devils.

Mat 12:25 And Jesus knew their thoughts, and said unto them, Every kingdom divided against itself is brought to desolation; and every city or house divided against itself shall not stand:

Mat 12:26 And if Satan cast out Satan, he is divided against himself; how shall then his kingdom stand?

Mat 12:27 And if I by Beelzebub cast out devils, by whom do your children cast them out? therefore they shall be your judges.

Mat 12:28 But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.

Mat 12:29 Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.

Mat 12:30 He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.

Mat 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

I don't want to be pedantic but the reason you are giving for blasphemy against the Holy Spirit are all wrong as this passage makes it very clear what it is.

Jesus heals a man possessed with demon spirits.

The Pharisees call it a work of satan.

Jesus talks about casting out devils by the Spirit of God.

Then Jesus talks about blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Conclusion. Calling deliverance from a spirit/s a work of satan when it is work of the Holy Spirit is blasphemy and will not be forgiven.

Nothing more and nothing less.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

As it has been said: "Any sin may be forgivable with repentance but no sin is forgivable without it."

The unpardonable/unforgivable sin or “blasphemy of the Holy Spirit” is mentioned in Mark 3:22–30 and Matthew 12:22–32. Jesus said, “Truly I tell you, people can be forgiven all their sins and every slander they utter” (Mark 3:28), but then He gives one exception: “Whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin” (verse 29).

According to Jesus, the unpardonable or unforgivable sin is unique. It is the one iniquity that will never be forgiven (“never” is the meaning of “either in this age or in the age to come” in Matthew 12:32). The unforgivable sin is blasphemy (“defiant irreverence”) of the Holy Spirit in the context of the Spirit’s work in the world through Christ. In other words, the particular case of blasphemy seen in Matthew 12 and Mark 3 is unique. The guilty party, a group of Pharisees, had witnessed irrefutable evidence that Jesus was working miracles in the power of the Holy Spirit, yet they claimed that He was possessed by the prince of demons, Beelzebul (Matthew 12:24; Mark 3:30).

What this means is that according to the foreknowledge of God, those who blaspheme the Holy Spirit are exactly those who will never ask for forgiveness. It is not in them to do so. You must repent to be forgiven, and only the Holy Spirit causes us to truly repent. You really don't want to make the Holy Spirit your enemy!

Those who blasphemed and said that Jesus did His miracles through the power of Satan are among those who would never repent.

Upvote 0

Flash Gordon

God does what He says
Feb 7, 2017
Esperance
Visit site
✟10,692.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I have testimony of committing this sin and finding forgiveness, I put a youtube video of it up a couple of years ago and took it off because I was getting self righteous people which the Father told me they were 'pig faced' sharing there opinion with a condemning tone. And others that didn't really believe I did it because I couldn't have fellowship with God now if I really did it, which what they were doing made it look like I was an idiot with no credibility. And there were others that said that they had done it, and that I was a lucky one.
The Lord has shown me that this testimony is my staff, when Moses put his staff down it turned into a snake, and Moses' snake gobbled up all the other snakes.
I am now 51 and I was then 17 when I did this, those that used the Greek in this thread are on the mark to the meaning, many have opinion, opinion is not truth and never will be.
I had Christ in my life, God had given me and words a few months before which got me through. I don't need to say what I said, but a few days after I did it, God convicted me, His word and the Holy Spirit brought me under a full and complete conviction. The conviction was that of a condemned man - separation from God and all that that entails, it was like being in Almighty God's courtroom with no hope, I was in tears for hours every pause in my skin was pouring out sweat and when I tried standing up I could but I was trembling all over, in this darkness, a thought jumped into my spirit, this is what it was like for Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. The desperation continued. The radio was on, and I heard the words God 'can do a miracle', so I got down on my knee's and asked God to do a miracle, not long after that I started seeing light, the light kept coming and until I was filled with the realization that God loved me and I was filled with so much joy I thought the joy was going to burst me apart, I asked for strength and the joy toned down.
Over the years, the things that I saw of the conviction, I have walked through, I have known what it is to be struck by God and of His wrath that seemed to be unending to a point that I had shut my heart off from God. But God has saved me from all those things and is saving me.
Scripture says that God created the ends of the earth and this is where He has brought me from. My testimony is that the blood Jesus has no bounds.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So this thread is to teach people how to commit an unforgivable sin? How is this beneficial?
All the Law is for this purpose: how to avoid sinning. Do this but don't do that. Anything that reveals truth is valuable to those who believe in Christ.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always thought if you cursed the Holy Spirit, then that's it - you're doomed. Imagine my dismay when i had curse words pop into my mind every time i tried to pray. I thought i was cursed, and then i found the below article which "lifted the curse" :)

"If a person truly listens to the promptings of the Holy Spirit and asks for pardon and forgiveness that person is not guilty of blasphemy against the Holy Spirit.

Any sin mankind wants pardon for is forgivable, however, if we turn our backs on the voice of the Holy Spirit we begin to silence His convictions and eventually we cannot hear His convicting power. This effectively blocks the working of God in our lives because we have reached a point where we are unable respond to the promptings of the Holy Spirit."

What is blasphemy against the Holy Spirit? | Bibleinfo.com

Good post. Right on.

• Friendly
Reactions: Pixey
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
All the Law is for this purpose: how to avoid sinning. Do this but don't do that. Anything that reveals truth is valuable to those who believe in Christ.
Ok, I understand now. Teach people how to sin, then tell them not to do it...then keep an eye on them and condemn them to hell if we see them doing what we taught them how to do. Makes sense.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, I understand now. Teach people how to sin, then tell them not to do it...then keep an eye on them and condemn them to hell if we see them doing what we taught them how to do. Makes sense.
You seem to be purposely coming off as obtuse. People do not need to be taught how to sin. People (virtually all people) are selfish and do it quite naturally.

Who can say, "I have kept my heart pure; I am clean and without sin"?
– Proverbs 20:9

As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." – Romans 3:10-12, 3:23 (cf. Ps. 14:1-3; 53:1-3; Eccles. 7:20, Prov 20:9)

"... for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God…" – Romans 3:23

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You seem to be purposely coming off as obtuse. People do not need to be taught how to sin. People (virtually all people) are selfish and do it quite naturally.

As it is written: "There is no one righteous, not even one; there is no one who understands, no one who seeks God. All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one." – Romans 3:10-12, 3:23 (cf. Ps. 14:1-3; 53:1-3; Eccles. 7:20, Prov 20:9)

But we do need some help in knowing exactly what is sin and what is not. Hence, God gives us this help in the scriptures.

Upvote 0

Dr Bruce Atkinson

Supporter
Site Supporter
Feb 19, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟65,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
My view after suffering paranoia over this question:

If you're worried about it you haven't done it - no matter how hard the evil one wants to convince you that you have.

It's impossible for the elect to commit this sin, The Holy Spirit in present within you and Jesus will not lose what belongs to Him, He paid eternally so that we can Love Him and be with Him forever.

If you have committed this sin, God never knew you and I doubt that this question would be nagging on the mind of the guilty, they would be busy trying to make the most of their life, in their way, in their forever deceived state - never knowing the Truth.
Exactly. Unbelievers do not worry about displeasing God; either they do not believe in God or they are actively rebelling against Him.

"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" is frequently repeated in the Old Testament because we only fear what we believe (however primitive the belief). But the goal is to move on to trust in and love of God, which then cancels out the fear (1 John 4:18).

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Some do need to know how to sin. This is what this thread is about. There is a particular sins that most people are unsure how to commit....it just so happens to be the worst one. It is our purpose here to ensure that everyone knows how to commit this one. And you guys can continue. I prefer to teach people how to please God, but there needs to be people who teaches the opposite as well. If you read all to posts you would see that we already established this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
:) Ok some of you are taking this WAY OUT of context. No.. your not going to by some mistake some words kind of in some no thought say or do something and BAM! Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. :)

I think sometimes to hear Jesus came died for you and then reject that.. no forgiveness what so ever. I know have heard ..to see the power of GOD and give satan the glory for that is blasphemy.

And any believer can sin. If we sin ..if we confess our sins He is faithful to? Yeah... anyway..

Unless I missed it, no where is it written blasphemy of the holy Spirit your then lost for ever. Said.. not forgiven. When in Eph its written grieve not the holy spirit of God. Easy to Grieve...we say Father/God Jesus.. yet the sweet sweet Holy spirit.. that in the NT TALKED to them and they to Him..that was IN THEM.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
I think it's denying the truth when you hear it preached or when reading his word. I think it's hearing and denying still. The word says believing come through hearing. If God knows he sent out his Holy Spirit to give you his truth and you deny it then you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. You're saying Holy Spirit is a liar.

No Cher. It is calling the work of the Holy Spirit the work of satan.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Failure to listen to the Holy Spirit's calling that you should accept Jesus as your Savior. Rejecting that calling for your entire life, right on through death. That's it.

Get with it: Romans 10:8-13.
No Winken. It is calling the work of the Holy Spirit the work of satan.

Upvote 0

Episaw

Always learning
Nov 12, 2010
✟38,829.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In simple terms, it is knowing and understanding the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ and saying, "Nope, not interested."
No Joe. It is calling the work of the Holy Spirit the work of satan.

Reactions: Fred Manalo
Upvote 0