Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you have a verse on this? The context of his statement about blasphemy against the Spirit was when those around him were attributing the works of the Father through him to Satan.

And that's it in a nutshell.

I only read the first page or so, but when I read the title to the thread I thought, "here we go again", and got just what I expected, all these different ideas of what it is, never fails to happen, even when the scripture is very clear about it. Just look the verses up and read it. I just never understood why this happens? Maybe too many preachers working overtime? Should have gotten some sleep before preparing for their sermon? A higher knowledge than what Christ said it was?

As for it being better not to know what it is, God evidently disagrees. Or maybe I should ask, what other Biblical teachings should we ignore as better not to know?

• Agree
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Come on! They weren't saying that the Holy Spirit was from the devil. They were saying that He was casting out demons with the power of the devil. That is why Jesus told them that a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand. No one can cast out demons through the power of the devil. It has to be through the power of the Holy Spirit. He made it quite clear that to accuse anyone of casting out demons through the power of devil is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

I think it applies to any genuine ministry who is trusting the Holy Spirit to do healing or other miracles. If these things happen through faith in the Name of Jesus, then it is through the Holy Spirit. Those who say the miracles and healings were through the power of devil are also blaspheming the Holy Spirit. They are insulting the Holy Spirit by calling Him the devil by implication.

That's why people should give Pentecostals and Charismatics (and they are the ones who are being accused this way) the benefit of the doubt, so that people stay on the safe side of being caught blaspheming the Holy Spirit and thereby grieving Him in their own lives and ministries. Actually it is only deadbeat churches that openly accuse Pentecostals and Charismatics that tongues, healing, and prophecies are of the devil, and those churches are not worth worrying about anyway.

Come on! I never said they said the holy spirit was from the devil. I said they said Jesus was from the devil, I.E. casting out spirits by beezlebub. Then Jesus said, you can blaspheme me (saying my power is from the devil) but don't blaspheme the holy spirit (saying it was from the devil).

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
. Then Jesus said, you can blaspheme me (saying my power is from the devil) but don't blaspheme the holy spirit (saying it was from the devil).

I am not sure now Jesus did mean that, though for a while I thought he meant not what the pharasses had said, but merely words spoken about him in ignorance. But now I think he may have mean't all the insulting things men say to each other can be forgiven. But he wasn't giving carte blanche to people to say anything they liked about him.

People did say things about Jesus, like 'he is out of his mind' maybe he meant that sort of thing can be forgiven men.

The Holy spirit in Jewish understanding had two great functions. First he revealed God's truth to men; second, he enabled men to recognize that truth when they saw it. [Barclay]

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟834,458.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Come on! I never said they said the holy spirit was from the devil. I said they said Jesus was from the devil, I.E. casting out spirits by beezlebub. Then Jesus said, you can blaspheme me (saying my power is from the devil) but don't blaspheme the holy spirit (saying it was from the devil).
Yep. That makes it clear,

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
So, :) What is the difference?

What's the difference in asking the person who knows and asking the one who doesn't? Or what's the difference in who you ask? I am not sure of your question so can't answer it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't understand how you see this as teaching others how to sin. If God says, "don't lay with a man as you would a woman," then >>GOD<< just got very specific in sharing what He does not want you to do. This is HIS METHOD of teaching and you are, at least seemingly, belittling it. I don't get it Raymond. Sharing what blaspheming the Spirit is, is not different than defining what homosexual sex is. Both simply share what not to do.

Is the passage speaking to a woman?

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Knowledge is power?

Yes, I've heard this before......"The knowledge of good AND evil is a good thing.....Go ahead and eat the fruit". Just being concern about the good is a thing of the past. Maybe we should start up some more threads concerning other confusing sins.....We must make sure we know how to commit them all.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I've heard this before......"The knowledge of good AND evil is a good thing.....Go ahead and eat the fruit". Just being concern about the good is a thing of the past. Maybe we should start up some more threads concerning other confusing sins.....We must make sure we know how to commit them all.

Or maybe not......There are so many different interpretations that I'm more confused now than before.......But that's ok with me, because i do not desire to learn how to commit sins.....just focusing on loving God and my neighbor will ensure that I follow all the laws.

• Winner
Reactions: SkyWriting
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

That is the entire point of scripture, to understand that the law reveals death.
Before the law is known, there is no death and no need for a savior.

62840067.jpg

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In my opinion, no, in the churches opinion, yes.

I just don't know if the rules are intended for men, or women, children, or exactly who
is supposed to do exactly what to please God...or the congregation.
Who is or isn't allowed to do what to whom, with who's approval?
Are we supposed to blog or tweet our sex lives to our followers?
Am I supposed to say what me and my wife did this morning?
Should I mention if it was light or dark in the room?

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I just don't know if the rules are intended for men, or women, children, or exactly who
is supposed to do exactly what to please God...or the congregation.
Who is or isn't allowed to do what to whom, with who's approval?
Are we supposed to blog or tweet our sex lives to our followers?
Am I supposed to say what me and my wife did this morning?
Should I mention if it was light or dark in the room?

This sounds more directed at God than at me.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟961,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
It is only hostility to God's Holy Spirit.
Even mistakes are forgiven. But open
"hostility to" is not.
But, God does allow a person to get temporarily frustrated with or even angry with him, or the Spirit, and express it, but we can do that without sinning, or committing the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, no matter how hard pressed we are too... A good example of such is Job...

One of the greatest tactics I have to deal with from the enemy, and he still tries these with me, is: Trying to get me to think he is Jesus or Jesus is him... Or, that he is the Holy Spirit and the Holy Spirit of truth is him... Or, if that doesn't work, that The Father or YHWH is evil, or that the Son is, or "was" once evil or deceitful and therefore "is him"... Or that He is The Holy Spirit converted by Christ and is under him, and the Father, and makes up the third member of the trinity, has been one of his latest "tricks"...

For example he reminded me of a song, that says, "Can't learn to tell (or "be" the Holy Spirit of truth), Anyways, "Can't learn to tell the truth, until you learn to lie." (or have been lying for a while, first)...

I refuted with how Jesus says, "he is a liar and manslayer from the very beginning and the truth is not him, never was, nor ever is, nor will it ever be... How Jesus says that does not and will never, ever change...

And he was gone... I think he "ran away" but I'm not sure...

God Bless!

Upvote 0