USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
RaymondG, i respect your desire to rather focus on pleasing God.

May God bless you. :amen:

If all people were like you, the world would be Heaven. Dont really understand the argumentative spirit.

Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If all people were like you, the world would be Heaven. Dont really understand the argumentative spirit.
I am not arguing, I am just wanting to understand why you have taken a position that it is bad to talk about sin when God defines it in the same manner. Just confusing, that's all. I won't bother you again!

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
In simple terms, it is knowing and understanding the truth of the gospel of Jesus Christ and saying, "Nope, not interested."
Do you have a verse on this? The context of his statement about blasphemy against the Spirit was when those around him were attributing the works of the Father through him to Satan.

Upvote 0

JoeP222w

Nov 5, 2015
✟77,175.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Matthew 12:22-32 Then a demon-oppressed man who was blind and mute was brought to him, and he healed him, so that the man spoke and saw. (23) And all the people were amazed, and said, "Can this be the Son of David?" (24) But when the Pharisees heard it, they said, "It is only by Beelzebul, the prince of demons, that this man casts out demons." (25) Knowing their thoughts, he said to them, "Every kingdom divided against itself is laid waste, and no city or house divided against itself will stand. (26) And if Satan casts out Satan, he is divided against himself. How then will his kingdom stand? (27) And if I cast out demons by Beelzebul, by whom do your sons cast them out? Therefore they will be your judges. (28) But if it is by the Spirit of God that I cast out demons, then the kingdom of God has come upon you. (29) Or how can someone enter a strong man's house and plunder his goods, unless he first binds the strong man? Then indeed he may plunder his house. (30) Whoever is not with me is against me, and whoever does not gather with me scatters. (31) Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven people, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. (32) And whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come.

Jesus was addressing the Pharisees, who of all people, knew the truth of God, and knew of the Messiah to come, and rejected His works through the Holy Spirit. I believe it boils down to, as I wrote, knowing the truth of God, and simply rejecting it (refusing God's grace through Jesus Christ).

Upvote 0

zoidar

loves Jesus the Christ! ✝️
Supporter
Sep 18, 2010
✟877,132.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

I believe it's about hardening ones heart to the point where you no longer can hear God's voice to repent. How is this done? I'm not sure. What I do know though is as long as you want to believe, or are worried about doing it you haven't done it. What I've heard you can't do it by misstake, that it's a willfull act. If you blaspheme the holy Spirit you no longer have any interest in having a restored relationship with God. It may also be that you know that you have done it and don't even regret it. Nothing can ever change your mind, you have closed God out of your life permanently. It's like you have become spiritually deaf.

Upvote 0

Brian Sellers

Feb 23, 2016
Demopolis, AL
✟9,172.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"Therefore I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven." There are no limits to the mercy of God, but anyone who deliberately refuses to accept his mercy by repenting, rejects the forgiveness of his sins and the salvation offered by the Holy Spirit. Such hardness of heart leads to eternal loss.

Blasphemy against the Holy Spirit is to refuse God's mercy. It is a refusal to repent of sin. God does not bring anyone into his kingdom against his/her will. Human persons have the ability to reject God's mercy and refuse forgiveness of sins which leads to eternal separation from God.

Upvote 0

RaymondG

Nov 15, 2016
USA
✟268,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am not arguing, I am just wanting to understand why you have taken a position that it is bad to talk about sin when God defines it in the same manner. Just confusing, that's all. I won't bother you again!

I have to re-read my post. I try to make it a habit to not eat from the tree of good and evil. So if I said anything you were saying was bad, it was a mistake.

My misunderstanding was about discussing how to commit sin...Not talking about sin. To use YOUR example: saying non- hetero sex is a sin... If that is how you feel, I can understand that. Let say I dont know exactly how these relations are accomplished.....I only know how it is done with the opposite sex.... Will you then process to go into detail about how it is done between same sex? "one person stands this way, then the other has to position themselves like so"....etc... and at the end say "Now that I've showed you exactly how to do it, make sure you never do it.....or burn in hell" I just didnt understand the need for the details of how, when im not supposed to be doing it anyway...

Not sure how to make my side clearer. I understand your view and the OP, and I respect it, and did not intend to give any condemnation.

• Winner
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

david.d

Oct 19, 2004
Albuquerque, NM
Visit site
✟27,629.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I personally believe that without question it is attributing the works of God to the Adversary. Let me share two witnesses for this.

1. When you consider a verse like Matthew 12:27, you can see that those around Yeshua were attributing his works, not to the Father who sent him, but to Beelzebub (another name for satan). Yeshua follows this up with his line that blasphemy of the Spirit will not be forgiven.

2. When you look at Exodus 32:8 we see that when the golden calf is molded, the works of God are attributed to this idol. It is called by His name (YHWH) and like I said, God's works are attributed to that thing. What happens to all those who accept this and worship it? Many thousands died that day as punishment.
A very good example. Another may be trying to credit ourselves. When I was younger and went a on mission trip with a church, we had a "celebration" when we returned. It included lining people up on stage and them saying "I saved [n] souls." That was the last time I went to that church. I was a teenager and knew that none of them saved any souls and never will.

Upvote 0

danstribe

Mar 30, 2013
✟24,205.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"If we deliberately go on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no further sacrifice for sins remains," Hebrews 10:26. So scripture says that if we refuse to stop sinning after we have accepted Christ's sacrifice then that is the unpardonable sin. It appears to be our attitude that matters, whether it is rebellious or submissive to the Holy Spirit concerning overcoming our sins.
Like the man that Christ healed at the pool and Afterward, Jesus found the man in the temple and said to him, “See, you have been restored. Stop sinning, or something worse may happen to you.” John 5:14. But what did he do? He went in and told the Jews that it was Jesus who made him well. Bad attitude! He did not like Christ telling him to stop sinning!

Upvote 0

Victor E.

Disciple of Christ
Supporter
Aug 3, 2016
U.S
✟201,211.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Question by "AJTruth": What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?

Answer:

1. Attributing the Works of the Holy Spirit to Satan. (Mark 3:20-30 AMP and context).

2. Perpetually hardening the conviction in our hearts (moral compass) to the Holy Spirit's guidance (Christ's Teachings/NT are synonymous). (Acts 6:8-Acts 7:50 , Stephen addresses the religious Sanhedrin).

"You stiff-necked people! Your hearts and ears are still uncircumcised. You are just like your ancestors: You always resist the Holy Spirit!" Acts 7:51

The good news, there is abundant pardon from Christ in repentance! (to turn away from wickedness)

1 John 1:9 = "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

Ezekiel 33:11 = "Say to them: ‘As I live,’ says the Lord God, ‘I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live. Turn, turn from your evil ways! For why should you die, O house of Israel?”

1 Timothy 1:13-15 = “Although I [Paul] was formerly a blasphemer, a persecutor, and an insolent man; but I obtained mercy because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceedingly abundant, with faith and love which are in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am chief."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LeoS

Nov 22, 2012
✟7,759.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is to deny Christ into death. The sin of not believing can lead to the unforgivable sin of dying in denial of Christ. The Pharisees were saying that Jesus had a demon and that he was performing miracles by the power of the devil. They could have just as easily have said that there was a giant gas leak, they were all mass hallucinating, and Jesus himself wasn't real. The point is they were denying Him and who He was. At this point they were only in danger of committing blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. Had they actually taken their denial of Him into death, they would have completed the unforgivable sin. It would also be the same as taking the Mark of the Beast. The Church is the Bride of Christ. God marks who are His like an engagement ring. Satan also puts a mark on those that are his (Mark of the Beast). The Mark of the Beast denies Christ as a person's bride groom (shows they belong to Satan), and the one that takes the mark denying Christ will take it into death with them. There is no saving you once you're dead.

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have to re-read my post. I try to make it a habit to not eat from the tree of good and evil. So if I said anything you were saying was bad, it was a mistake.

My misunderstanding was about discussing how to commit sin...Not talking about sin. To use YOUR example: saying non- hetero sex is a sin... If that is how you feel, I can understand that. Let say I dont know exactly how these relations are accomplished.....I only know how it is done with the opposite sex.... Will you then process to go into detail about how it is done between same sex? "one person stands this way, then the other has to position themselves like so"....etc... and at the end say "Now that I've showed you exactly how to do it, make sure you never do it.....or burn in hell" I just didnt understand the need for the details of how, when im not supposed to be doing it anyway...

Not sure how to make my side clearer. I understand your view and the OP, and I respect it, and did not intend to give any condemnation.
I was simply not understanding your position, not trying to cause strife. The idea that it might be wrong to say that blasphemy of the spirit of attributing God's work to the adversary is wrong.... when the same formula is used by God (i.e. if a man lays with a man as he would a woman) to make a point just wasn't equaling out for me. No matter, like I said, I wasn't trying to cause strife, just didn't understand where you were coming from. Peace! :)

• Friendly
Reactions: ADisciple
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,626.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is not going to be something you can do by accident. It will be a conscious, deliberate, action of turning from the Father, Christ and the "one who comforts" the Holy Spirit.
These will not be atheists, imo, as I believe they will be people who believe in God and make a deliberate action against Him.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟827,033.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
In the context of what Jesus spoke about it, it was the religious teachers seeing Jesus cast demons out of people and saying that He was doing it by the power of the devil (Beezelbub). What this means that if anyone attributes the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit to the devil, they are blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

We are seeing "respected" Bible teachers accusing Pentecostals and Charismatics of being motivated by the devil when they speak in tongues, and that the signs and wonders in the P/C movement are connected to the lying signs and wonders done by the Antichrist and the Beast. These teachers have also accused Holy Spirit prophets of being the type of false prophet described in the Old Testament merely because they differ in doctrine. This implies that these prophets are also inspired by Satan instead of the Holy Spirit.

I firmly believe that these accusations amount to blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, and it places these "respected" Bible teachers in danger of being rejected by Christ at His judgment seat. Anyone who accuses a believer who speaks in tongues in faith believing that he or she is truly communicating with God, of being inspired by Satan is blaspheming the Holy Spirit and is motivated by a lying, accusing spirit, and in so doing, is bringing destruction upon himself.

The instruction from God, "Touch not My anointed", is very relevant in these days. We have anointed healing and prophetic ministries coming under criticism and accusations of being "false prophets", and yet these ministries are winning thousands of lost souls for Christ, for in excess of any results the churches of these accusers are achieving. All some of these accusers are doing is setting up websites for the express purpose of running down anointed ministries. I believe that when the people who have those websites come up before Jesus, He will say, "Depart from Me ye wicked. I never knew you." Anyone who runs down a ministry that is undeniably anointed by the Holy Spirit, and accuses it by implication that it has a demonic foundation (and what other foundation could they be saying it has if they don't believe it is the Holy Spirit?), is blaspheming the Holy Spirit.

Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is a deliberate act, as I have just described. The devil can put lying thoughts into anyone's mind to dislodge them from their faith in Christ, but a good believer can recognise it as such and tell the devil to take his thoughts and "get on his bike!" We can't stop birds landing on our heads, but we can stop them nesting there.

Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your analogies are a little different from what Im saying.

What i see here is saying "Do not murder," "Do not steal" but then TEACHING us the best way to steal and the best way to murder. I have no issues with telling people not to do wrong...no to murder and not the blaspheme. I just dont see the good sides of teaching people HOW to DO the things that we dont want them to do.

I dont think it is wrong...I guess I dont see the expediency in it.

But maybe you are right.....there are probably many people out there who would love to learn how to blaspheme the holy spirit. I would not teach this...but it is fine for others to do so, if they choose.

The other day in the forum Gifts of the Spirit someone suggested that either the abilities I have, or the memories of them, were from the devil. If this is not exactly blasphemy of tbe holy spirit it was extremely close to it, and I put them on ignore so I wouldn't have to hear it. I think the only reason they would do this was because they were not aware of what blasphamy of the holy spirit is.

There are certain ministers on T.V. who supposedly faith heal, and it would be blashamy of the holy spirit to say they are healing from power of the devil. However, I don't believe stating that they are charletons is blasphamy.

Upvote 0

John Hyperspace

UnKnown ReMember
Oct 3, 2016
Hyperspace
✟35,143.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Basically if a person were to say "That person is of an ungodly spirit" and be falsely accusing someone who was teaching rightly through the Spirit: that would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. "Blasphemy" means to "injure the name/fame/reputation" and to call a person working and teaching by the Holy Spirit "anti-Christ" or "evil" or "not a Christian" or such would be blasphemy against the Holy Spirit. I suppose the lesson is, better be really careful about who you accuse. If you can't recognize the Holy Spirit, then you can't recognize God, and so can't be forgiven if you don't recognize the Spirit of truth.

I'd also quickly note that "unforgivable" is based on a terrible translation of "aion" and the passages basically say "does not have forgiveness in the age, or, the age to come" but says nothing about the ages afterward; or, even "eternity" itself. I believe it can, and will, be forgiven.

Upvote 0