Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's denying that salvation can only come through Jesus.
I respect your view but as I just posted to another, blasphemy MEANS to SPEAK EVIL AGAIN, speak evil.... slander... it is not the concept of not making a decision, it is the idea of speaking against the Holy Spirit. The context in the Scriptural reference is the Pharisees are SAYING that the works he was doing were of satan... that is evil speech against the Spirit working through messiah.

• Winner
Reactions: Jim Langston
Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit?
The word "blasphemy" means "to blame". To blame God for evil, is the path to believing God is the source of evil, which is to call God the Devil. When Jesus said that all manner of sin would be forgiven, except the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, it was in the context of the Pharisees claiming that his miraculous power was done by Beelzebub, or the devil.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The word "blasphemy" means "to blame". To blame God for evil, is the path to believing God is the source of evil, which is to call God the Devil. When Jesus said that all manner of sin would be forgiven, except the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit, it was in the context of the Pharisees claiming that his miraculous power was done by Beelzebub, or the devil.
I agree save for "blame." When looking at the various lexicons, how the word is used in other places, it is probably more like "slander" or "speaking evil against" rather than just "blame." I can blame you for leaving the light on... or I can destroy your reputation and call you an idiot for leaving the light on. One is blame, the other is evil speech.

Upvote 0

DeerGlow

User Gifted Supporter Status by Someone Else
Site Supporter
Oct 5, 2016
Texas
✟86,999.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Your analogies are a little different from what Im saying.

What i see here is saying "Do not murder," "Do not steal" but then TEACHING us the best way to steal and the best way to murder. I have no issues with telling people not to do wrong...no to murder and not the blaspheme. I just dont see the good sides of teaching people HOW to DO the things that we dont want them to do.

I dont think it is wrong...I guess I dont see the expediency in it.

But maybe you are right.....there are probably many people out there who would love to learn how to blaspheme the holy spirit. I would not teach this...but it is fine for others to do so, if they choose.

I think it's like this:

If I didn't know what murder was, I would ask someone who did because the bible says not to kill. It would be like that person not defining it but just saying "Just don't do it."

Or if I didn't know what stealing was, and was told not to do it but I did it not to be rebellious and live in sin but because I didn't understand that taking other people's things is what the bible calls stealing.

There are many people who haven't done it who think they have who need to know you did X, this sin is Y, not X.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I agree save for "blame." When looking at the various lexicons, how the word is used in other places, it is probably more like "slander" or "speaking evil against" rather than just "blame." I can blame you for leaving the light on... or I can destroy your reputation and call you an idiot for leaving the light on. One is blame, the other is evil speech.
What you say is true, Ken. Here is what the online etymology says:
blaspheme (v.)
mid-14c., from Old French blasfemer "to blaspheme" (14c., Modern French blasphémer), from Church Latin blasphemare (also in Late Latin "revile, reproach"), from Greek blasphemein "to speak lightly or amiss of sacred things, to slander," from blasphemos "evil-speaking" (see blasphemy). A reintroduction after the original word had been worn down and sense-shifted to blame (v.). Related: Blasphemed; blaspheming.

• Informative
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. "

Albert Barnes notes in his commentary that when Jesus says but the blasphemy against the "Holy Ghost" shall not be forgiven unto men that Jesus is actually referring to His own Divine nature, and not to the third member of the Trinity.

Thus, essentially what Christ is saying in this passage would be: "He that speaks against me as a man of Nazareth - that speaks contemptuously of my humble birth, etc., may be pardoned; but he that reproaches my divine nature, charging me with being in league with Satan, and blaspheming the power of God manifestly displayed “by me,” can never obtain forgiveness.”

If this is the case, then certainly it is much more specific than simple non-belief. But the principle of what I was saying still applies. Meaning, no Christian need fear committing the unpardonable sin, for no Christian would ever actually do this.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What you say is true, Ken. Here is what the online etymology says:
blaspheme (v.)
mid-14c., from Old French blasfemer "to blaspheme" (14c., Modern French blasphémer), from Church Latin blasphemare (also in Late Latin "revile, reproach"), from Greek blasphemein "to speak lightly or amiss of sacred things, to slander," from blasphemos "evil-speaking" (see blasphemy). A reintroduction after the original word had been worn down and sense-shifted to blame (v.). Related: Blasphemed; blaspheming.
I decided to have this discussion on my Facebook wall today. :) Will be interesting to hear out other views. Blessings.

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
"Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men. "

Albert Barnes notes in his commentary that when Jesus says but the blasphemy against the "Holy Ghost" shall not be forgiven unto men that Jesus is actually referring to His own Divine nature, and not to the third member of the Trinity.

Thus, essentially what Christ is saying in this passage would be: "He that speaks against me as a man of Nazareth - that speaks contemptuously of my humble birth, etc., may be pardoned; but he that reproaches my divine nature, charging me with being in league with Satan, and blaspheming the power of God manifestly displayed “by me,” can never obtain forgiveness.”

If this is the case, then certainly it is much more specific than simple non-belief. But the principle of what I was saying still applies. Meaning, no Christian need fear committing the unpardonable sin, for no Christian would ever actually do this.
I liked most of your post but I do disagree with the last part. The idea that when we become a Christian we cease having the ability to sin is just not Scripture. We don't want to sin, we want to walk in righteousness... but we have no been perfected YET which means, by definition, we are imperfect and capable of error. That said... I maintain that there has to be INTENT here... I really don't think we can speak evil against the Holy Spirit in a manner that means we can never be forgiven unless we have entered a state of rebellion... not just sin (unintentional or unknown acts that miss the mark) but deliberate and willful acts against God.

• Agree
Upvote 0

*Cher

Come home minie-cat!
Feb 8, 2017
Dallas
✟18,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Hmmm. Like when the Jehovah's witness says miracles of God come from the devil? I would agree that's blasphemy.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hmmm. Like when the Jehovah's witness says miracles of God come from the devil? I would agree that's blasphemy.
Yes, but they would still have to know they were of God and attributed those work at that point to the Adversary for it to be evil. Being wrong, making a mistake, coming to a poor conclusion... is one thing. Knowing God did something and deliberately attributing that something to the devil is evil.

Upvote 0

*Cher

Come home minie-cat!
Feb 8, 2017
Dallas
✟18,730.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think it's denying the truth when you hear it preached or when reading his word. I think it's hearing and denying still. The word says believing come through hearing. If God knows he sent out his Holy Spirit to give you his truth and you deny it then you have blasphemed the Holy Spirit. You're saying Holy Spirit is a liar.

• Agree
Reactions: Dan61861
Upvote 0

SPF

Feb 7, 2017
ATL
✟142,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I liked most of your post but I do disagree with the last part. The idea that when we become a Christian we cease having the ability to sin is just not Scripture. We don't want to sin, we want to walk in righteousness... but we have no been perfected YET which means, by definition, we are imperfect and capable of error. That said... I maintain that there has to be INTENT here... I really don't think we can speak evil against the Holy Spirit in a manner that means we can never be forgiven unless we have entered a state of rebellion... not just sin (unintentional or unknown acts that miss the mark) but deliberate and willful acts against God.
I don't think you'll find anywhere in my post that I ever said that when we become a Christian we cease having the ability to sin. Let's be careful not to put words in people's mouths.

Obviously Christians still sin. Look at Peter, look at King David! Sanctification is a life long process that is not perfected until Christ returns.

But with regards specifically to the unpardonable sin - I do not believe that Christians need worry about committing it. First off, if a Christian IS concerned about committing it, then they won't commit it because the very fact that they are concerned about it is an indication that they love the Lord and don't want to commit it. Sin is just as much (if not more) a heart issue than an outward action-based issue. Someone who does commit the unpardonable sin is not going to care what God thinks because they don't believe in Christ in the first place. In order to commit the unpardonable sin one must first come from a position of not believing in who Christ claimed to be. Thus, Christians need not worry about committing it.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I respect your view but as I just posted to another, blasphemy MEANS to SPEAK EVIL AGAIN, speak evil.... slander... it is not the concept of not making a decision, it is the idea of speaking against the Holy Spirit. The context in the Scriptural reference is the Pharisees are SAYING that the works he was doing were of satan... that is evil speech against the Spirit working through messiah.
Yes, but they would still have to know they were of God and attributed those work at that point to the Adversary for it to be evil. Being wrong, making a mistake, coming to a poor conclusion... is one thing. Knowing God did something and deliberately attributing that something to the devil is evil.

I think you just made a very good point I'd never considered. So, today, can you give an example of how people could blaspheme the Holy Spirit? A Satanist, maybe who infiltrates a church to disrupt the workings of the Spirit. Just thinking out loud. You've obviously have given this a lot of thought...so what do you think?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I think you just made a very good point I'd never considered. So, today, can you give an example of how people could blaspheme the Holy Spirit? A Satanist, maybe who infiltrates a church to disrupt the workings of the Spirit. Just thinking out loud. You've obviously have given this a lot of thought...so what do you think?
I really think it needs to be done with intent so your atheist isn't a bad example. I agree with @SPF that one who has a heart for God is likely not to do this, at least knowingly. And I think for it to be unforgivable, it has to be with intent, not unknowingly. An example of unknowingly I just gave on my Facebook wall... say God orders certain events that give me a higher paying and better job. If I declare that this new job is due to my hard work or luck and not to God... am I not taking away from His reputation seeing He organized the events? Yes... but not with intent, more out of ignorance. :) I think the best examples of blasphemy against the Spirit is done by secular leaders (political, even religious like the Pharisees in Matthew 12) where there is likely an understanding that the work being done is in fact from God... but it threatens your power or position and so you speak out against it. Sadly, I think that happens today just as it did in Messiah's day.

Upvote 0

1stcenturylady

Spirit-filled follower of Christ
Site Supporter
Feb 13, 2017
Tennessee
✟431,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
I really think it needs to be done with intent so your atheist isn't a bad example. I agree with @SPF that one who has a heart for God is likely not to do this, at least knowingly. And I think for it to be unforgivable, it has to be with intent, not unknowingly. An example of unknowingly I just gave on my Facebook wall... say God orders certain events that give me a higher paying and better job. If I declare that this new job is due to my hard work or luck and not to God... am I not taking away from His reputation seeing He organized the events? Yes... but not with intent, more out of ignorance. :) I think the best examples of blasphemy against the Spirit is done by secular leaders (political, even religious like the Pharisees in Matthew 12) where there is likely an understanding that the work being done is in fact from God... but it threatens your power or position and so you speak out against it. Sadly, I think that happens today just as it did in Messiah's day.

Your example about the job is a good example of the type of sin Christians commit - unintentional sin. You can commit it even if you are walking in the Spirit and still the blood of Jesus automatically cleanses it. But, not so with willful sin. That is rebellion against God and of the flesh. This topic should have a topic all on its own based on 1 John 3:4-9. Maybe you can start one as I don't know how yet, I'm too new to these forums, and I don't want to change the subject on this important thread.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

dms1972

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2013
✟596,524.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
With regard to whether this topic should be discussed, and whether it teaches people how to commit the sin against the holy spirit. I would make the following comments.

I don't know why the OP asked? But i have wondered about what this sin is too.

There are people from time to time who often are concerned they may have committed it is one reason this gets discussed, perhaps it best for it to be raised by someone saying "I have done such and such, have I sinned against the Holy Spirit?" in this case it would be really a pastoral matter rather than a discussion. Something you would normally go and talk to a minister or a mature christian about. Someone with pastoral training at least.

But there might also be people who having read about this sin may become worried that they will commit it. [EDIT I mean having read people discussing it, not having read of it in the Bible, because Jesus really demolishes the false logic involved in what the Pharisees were insinuating]

Biblical commentaries do discuss this subject. I am not sure however what one can hope for asking on a forum, other than peoples own view on it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jim Langston

Non denominational fundamentalist
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2005
Bellingham, WA
✟79,514.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
With regard to whether this topic should be discussed, and whether it teaches people how to commit the sin against the holy spirit. I would make the following comments.

I don't know why the OP asked? But i have wondered about what this sin is too.

There are people from time to time who often are concerned they may have committed it is one reason this gets discussed, perhaps it best for it to be raised by someone saying "I have done such and such, have I sinned against the Holy Spirit?" in this case it would be really a pastoral matter rather than a discussion. Something you would normally go and talk to a minister or a mature christian about. Someone with pastoral training at least.

But there might also be people who having read about this sin may become worried that they will commit it.

Biblical commentaries do discuss this subject. I am not sure however what one can hope for asking on a forum, other than peoples own view on it.

Bible comnentaries usually have a religious bent because of dogma. Which is why I try to get my knowledge from the word of God itself.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AJTruth

Site Supporter
Jan 27, 2017
winter haven fl
✟22,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The One Unforgiveable Sin, UNBELIEF!

Matthew 12:31 Wherefore I say unto you, All manner of sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven unto men: but the blasphemy against the Holy Ghost shall not be forgiven unto men.

UNBELIEF:
John 8:24 Jesus said; ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.

There are many forms of blasphemy. However, the one & only unforgiveable sin; "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit". Is judged at the end of one's life (we all die) or at the return of Jesus. Which ever comes first

If at that time of death you haven't Honored Jesus for His Sin Atonement (Payment). It will then and only then, be to late.

UNBELIEVERS ARE CONDEMNED
John 3:18 But he that "believeth not" is condemned already, because he hath "not believed" in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
(Unbelievers in the son """ARE (already-right now) & WILL be CONDEMNED""")

Reject, don't Believe in the Son = "UNBELIEF" = "NON-BELIEVERS" will face the wrath of God"

BELIEVERS HAVE ETERNAL LIFE
John 3:36 He that "believeth" on the Son hath everlasting life & he that "believeth not" the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him
(WHOEVER """BELIEVES""" ON JESUS HAS ETERNAL LIFE. """UNBELIEVERS""" WILL FACE GODS WRATH)

"""BELIEVE""" on the Son & you have Eternal Life!

Romans 3:23 all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Romans 6:23 the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hebrews 9:27
27 And as it is appointed to men once to die (an inescapable reality), but after this the judgment: (no person escapes death not even Jesus)

Believers; those who accept thru faith Christ's sin atoning sacrifice. Offered via the Holy Spirit. Will be judged righteous in Christ unto eternal like with thier creator

Unbelievers; those who reject Christ's sin atoning sacrifice. Offered via the Holy Spirit. Will face Gods wrath and be eternally seperated from thier creator God.

Joshua 24:15 Choose you this day whom ye will serve.

Upvote 0