Aug 24, 2006
✟17,819.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Jesus said, wherever two or three are gathered together in his name that there he would be in the midst of them. ( Matthew 18:20. ) We should just think of that for a moment and then ask ourselves why we would need a teacher or a pastor when we would have the greatest teacher of them all in our midst. He also said, speaking to his disciples (his first church) after they became a little ticked off about Jesus telling James and John that they would indeed drink of the same cup as he, and be baptized with the same baptism as he "whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant." (Matthew 20:22-27.) And so it ocurrs to this one that if there is a group of people who want to establish a local church, there should be one among them who would be able to lead and to teach when needed. Besides this: whoever heard of a flock of dumb sheep selecting their own shepherd?

Reactions: ananda
Upvote 0
C

catholichomeschooler

Jesus said, wherever two or three are gathered together in his name that there he would be in the midst of them. ( Matthew 18:20. ) We should just think of that for a moment and then ask ourselves why we would need a teacher or a pastor when we would have the greatest teacher of them all in our midst. He also said, speaking to his disciples (his first church) after they became a little ticked off about Jesus telling James and John that they would indeed drink of the same cup as he, and be baptized with the same baptism as he "whosoever will be great among you, let him be your minister; And whosoever will be chief among you, let him be your servant." (Matthew 20:22-27.) And so it ocurrs to this one that if there is a group of people who want to establish a local church, there should be one among them who would be able to lead and to teach when needed. Besides this: whoever heard of a flock of dumb sheep selecting their own shepherd?

Isn't that what protestantism is?

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom

:)

If we take away all facets of society (since it does not please God in any way) - all economies, all trinkets, all technology, etc. - then what do we have? If it is just us, the earth, its produce, the animals, and God's word, then everything would be perfectly in line with His seemingly archaic laws.

But, why should we change how we worship when things of man are added to the world? If God is a God that doesn't change, why should His people change? This is why there are motifs of "holy people" in sackcloth, white raiment, and/or other religious garb in movies that take place far into the future. If you are a "holy people," nothing shoud change unless your God specifies it, don't you think? No amount of societal progression, technological advancement or land migration should change the way you worship your God. So, why has the Church become so malleable and irresolute concerning God's word?

To bring it back to the point, what is it that makes "us" forget all we need is two people for the Holy Spirit to be in our presence? Why is it that we would rather go to an edifice than converse and connect with other people as spiritual peers? After all, Moses (for example) may be a Chosen Levite, but he is still a man, and he still hit the rock when God told him to speak to it. We are all 100% on par with each other. I see no support that requires believers to even go to an edifice for worship; on the contrary, I see more about missionary work than actual "edifice" Church ministry.

Upvote 0

drstevej

"The crowd always chooses Barabbas."
In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
No amount of societal progression, technological advancement or land migration should change the way you worship your God.

So no lights
No air conditioning
No electricity

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So no lights
No air conditioning
No electricity

No computers (with their ability to store and retrieve data) or libraries (with their high tech printing and book binding methods) to get information, either. Might as well go back to ink wells and scrolls.

Sorry, gotta go get started on my scrolls... ;)

Upvote 0

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Some of the early 17th c separatist Puritans believed that spiritual worship also precluded having books (hymnals or Bibles included) as visual helps. You had to come to worship with Scripture memorized.

John Smyth, The Differences of the Churches of the seperation: Contayning, a Description of the Leitovrgie and Ministerie of the visible Church (London, 1608), in The Works of John Smyth Fellow of Christ's College, 1594-8, ed. W. T. Whitley, 2 vols. (Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1915), 1:269-320

Upvote 0

Lollerskates

May 2, 2013
✟4,340.00
Faith
Non-Denom
So no lights
No air conditioning
No electricity

I never said technology is bad, nor did I say social progress is bad. I am saying if social progress and technology interferes with the direct, explicit word of God, then it is wrong if you are a believer. If you use.social progression and technology as an excuse for changing God'slaws to justify an ease of compromise, that is not right. As I said, "holy" motifs in art are distinguished beside the "common society." They are looked as as devout. Art imitates life.

Religion changes with time, God's law doesn't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

drstevej

In Memory Of
Mar 18, 2003
Lousianna
✟1,001,611.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Luke 16: 15, you cannot serve both.
One or the other will suffer.
Service will be for one or the other, which ever is the master.

That applies to all of us.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Upvote 0

apache1

Feb 11, 2012
✟16,526.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Would you consider being a preacher if they didn't get paid? If you are a preacher, would you quit if you could longer get paid for it?

None of the pastors where I go have ever been paid, nor have ever asked. One of them, when he had some medical issues, refused the money we raised for him for his medical bills.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
None of the pastors where I go have ever been paid, nor have ever asked. One of them, when he had some medical issues, refused the money we raised for him for his medical bills.
Interesting.
Btw, I was going to leave a message on your Profile Board but couldn't :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

IchoozJC

Dec 5, 2004
✟10,672.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

On the surface that sounds honorable but I think it was rather rude. Its like he's saying he's too proud to take a love offering from his flock,denying them their blessing in helping him. As a pastor shouldn't he be encouraging that spirit rather than suppressing it?

If my children loved me so much that they gave me some of their allowance when they knew I had a pressing financial need, I would gladly and humbly take it. But they had better watch out because I would soon bless their socks off :)

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
seems to me that we have been talking about whether paying a pastor in right or wrong so much so that we have failed to answer the title question....
What if Preachers Never Got Paid?

I would purpose two things would happen...1. you would weed out those pastors that are in it for the money, leaving only those that are gifted and called by God to pastor...and 2. those that are called and gifted by God, who continued to pastor, would fall deeper into poverty which would shame the church while challenging them to trust God.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
On the surface that sounds honorable but I think it was rather rude. Its like he's saying he's too proud to take a love offering from his flock,denying them their blessing in helping him. As a pastor shouldn't he be encouraging that spirit rather than suppressing it?

If my children loved me so much that they gave me some of their allowance when they knew I had a pressing financial need, I would gladly and humbly take it. But they had better watch out because I would soon bless their socks off :)
yep, the ministry of giving and receiving...that is why I think the very issue is two fold not just one sided..btw, that is also what Paul taught and practiced

Upvote 0