• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

What if Preachers Never Got Paid?

Discussion in 'Controversial Christian Theology' started by LegacyJB, Mar 14, 2014.

1. Michael Collum

Michael Collum Everything began with a voice, use yours Supporter

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    i think they'd begin investing less time in their education and more time ministering to people before being ordained .

2. A New Dawn

A New Dawn God is bigger than the boogeyman!

+7,011
    Calvinist
    Married
    You seem to be differentiating between learning about the gospel and ministering. How do you see one sharing the gospel if they don't learn the gospel? Or is sharing the gospel not an important item here?

3. drstevej

drstevej Light Attracts Bugs Staff Member Chaplain Supporter

+23,478
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    There is also a mandate to guard the flock from false teachers. False teachers often target the untaught.

4. A New Dawn

+7,011
    Calvinist
    Married
    So, someone else supports you. Now we are getting to the meat of it. If you are "the servent of [your] Father and everything is taken care of by Him", why do you suggest that others doing the Father's will not be taken care of by Him?

5. Michael Collum

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    you learn the gospel from the person who told it to you . it's really simple . i recall one who said .. i don't know but i was blind but now i see . the good news or gospel . is what Jesus Christ has done in your life . no bible required .

6. A New Dawn

+7,011
    Calvinist
    Married
    So the story of Jesus' life, his death and resurrection and all that, that isn't important? Just share what Christ did in your life? What about the difference that Mother Theresa made in the lives of the orphans she took care of? Does that carry the same weight? I'm just trying to see what the cut-off is here. When does "This worked for me" trump "This is what Christ did for all believers and why He is able to be the one who can do it"?

If there is no need for a Bible, why do we have one? Why would God give us a book of scripture if just sharing testimonies is good enough?

7. Michael Collum

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    just saying . the first christians didn't have it . it's "useful" as a popular passage says . but not having one is not an obstacle for God who leads us into all truth

8. Michael Collum

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    but this is kind of a strawman as i wasn't speaking initially of a no-bible scenario . i was speaking of a no-books from seminary that teach eisegesis scenario

9. A New Dawn

+7,011
    Calvinist
    Married
    You're the one who said

10. A New Dawn

+7,011
    Calvinist
    Married
    And that is why God gifted the first Christians with the gifts of the spirit for the building up and edification of the church.

11. Michael Collum

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    yes . but you took it to an extreme . no bible required does not mean it's not useful ;)

12. A New Dawn

+7,011
    Calvinist
    Married
    Cool. But I didn't take it to an extreme, I just took you at your word (that is all one can do on a discussion board.)

13. Michael Collum

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    Indeed, this also illustrates how interpretation of passages in the bible can be varied .

thanks for the exchange . blessings .

14. razzelflabben

razzelflabben Contributor

+2,382
    Non-Denom
    Married
    this might be a good place to talk about the deacons. In the early church, the deacons were the ones who made sure the physical needs of the people were met, not the pastor. The pastors job was to share the gospel, that is the spiritual needs of the people. You know, study, prayer, preaching...as such, it makes sense that Paul would teach about the importance of taking care of those dedicated to the spiritual needs of the people in that their needs would often be overlooked in exchange for the people understanding the value of the physical needs. IOW's the people are still focused more on the importance of the physical here and now, rather than the spiritual eternal...we see the same thing today. If you help someone physically, they are much more likely and willing to "thank you" for that gift then if you address a spiritual need in their lives. It seems to me that the core of the teaching of pay or not pay the pastor, boils down to an understanding of how valuable study, prayer, and preaching/teaching really are to the believer and the local group we know as the body of Christ. Those who advocate not paying seem to be of those that still consider the physical of more value than the spiritual. Just how it seems, don't shoot the messenger.

15. razzelflabben

+2,382
    Non-Denom
    Married
    News flash...there is so much in the bible for us to learn, that all the teachers put together could not discover it all. That is why we are commanded to study, because scripture is a living word. Just saying.

16. razzelflabben

+2,382
    Non-Denom
    Married
    that isn't exactly true. The first christians had the OT, just as Jesus had and quoted from. In addition, they were writing the NT, something that we do not have to do, being that it is already done. That is not to dismiss the importance of personal testimony, but it is to say that scripture is vital to our spiritual health and growth, which might just be why God commands us to study it. ;)

17. drstevej

drstevej Light Attracts Bugs Staff Member Chaplain Supporter

+23,478
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    III John 5:7

Beloved, you are acting faithfully in whatever you accomplish for the brethren, and especially when they are strangers; and they have testified to your love before the church. You will do well to send them on their way in a manner worthy of God. For they went out for the sake of the Name, accepting nothing from the Gentiles. Therefore we ought to support such men, so that we may be fellow workers with the truth.

18. Michael Collum

+3,490
    Canada
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    1st Corinthians 9:6

Or is it only I and Barnabas who lack the right to not work for a living?