What holidays do you think should be forbidden for a Christian to participate in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Halloween became a major holiday in North America.

Halloween - Wikipedia

Halloween is not a Federal holiday (where business close, etc.), but it is a major holiday that is observed none the less by millions of Americans. In fact, billions are spent on this holiday; And you cannot go to a city without recognizing that people are celebrating this day.

Halloween is a major public holiday.

Public holidays in the United States - Wikipedia
It's not a holiday-people don't get the day off and schools don't close. It is a day that the Industrial Financial Complex has made, like Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. A day where they encourage us to spend money on things we don't need. But it's not a day off, per se, and even though a lot of attention is given to it, not a holiday as we all know-a day off.
It is a holy day, in the strictest sense of the word. A day when, properly speaking, we go to church to honor the saints in heaven.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's not a holiday-people don't get the day off and schools don't close. It is a day that the Industrial Financial Complex has made, like Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. A day where they encourage us to spend money on things we don't need. But it's not a day off, per se, and even though a lot of attention is given to it, not a holiday as we all know-a day off.
It is a holy day, in the strictest sense of the word. A day when, properly speaking, we go to church to honor the saints in heaven.

Yes, I am aware that is not a Federal holiday. I said that already, my friend. But it is still regarded as a holiday, though. Most people call it a holiday because it is a holiday.

Even major sources like Wikipedia and History.com call it a holiday.

History of Halloween - Halloween - HISTORY.com

TimeandDate says Halloween is not an official holiday, but they still call it a holiday.

https://www.timeanddate.com/holidays/us/halloween

Holidays.net also recognizes Halloween as a holiday.

The Story of Halloween

Halloween is said to be a holiday by "YourDictionary.com"

Halloween dictionary definition | Halloween defined

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Where you are arguing that Christians shouldn’t celebrate Halloween. How do you know your view isn’t the result of “lack of knowledge “?

Amen!! All these self righteous know it alls presume to tell others what to do so they can be like them. The ones trying to tell Christians what to celebrate or not are whitewashed tombs!

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

No. It's not a holy day because there is nothing holy about it. Do you think the display of witches, murderers, and the fear of evil things are all holy? I certainly don't. You can't go into a grocery store during Halloween without seeing a witch or a monster mask, etc. Haunted houses are all the rage during this time, as well.

Yes, the RCC has a history with Halloween (and possibly it's own Halloween tradition), but that does not change how Halloween generally exists for the past few decades for most human beings. It is a holiday that celebrates death and darkness and not light. You can't change what it is. It is a holiday and not a holy day. Wikipedia, Holiday.net, and YourDictionary.com all confirm that Halloween is in fact a holiday; And it is not a nice holiday because it celebrates the display of certain sins.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sketcher said:
One could claim that a costume of a witch or a devil is worse than a mask fashioned after a inappropriate content star. OK. But Halloween offers many more dress up options than your "inappropriate content day" scenario. So the witch and the devil outfits are on the extreme end of the spectrum of costumes one can choose from on Halloween. People can legitimately dress up as monks, nuns, angels, and fictional heroes that have nothing to do with the occult at all. While supermodels may not have anything to do with inappropriate content at all, they are much closer to that world than Batman is to a witch.

Your missing the point. Kids DO dress up as witches, ghosts, devils, killers, etc. Halloween parties, work environments, schools, even the White House is decorated like a haunted house. Haunted houses are all the rage during Halloween. You can't go into a grocery store without seeing some kind of display of death or witchcraft. The holiday is focused on darkness and not the light. A few kids that dress up as good guys is not going to change the overall theme and focus of what Halloween is about (Which is the display of sinful things). There would have to be a law passed that said Halloween is no longer allowed to display dark and evil things in order for your nicer version of it to exist.

As for the inappropriate content day analogy:
Again, you miss the point. The point is that it is partaking in a day that celebrates sin. Even if the little rascals at such an event had dressed up modestly on inappropriate content day, they would be partaking in a day that honors a particular sin. The same is true with Halloween. This day celebrates those things that are dark and evil like witchcraft, murderers, devils, and the fear of evil things, etc.

In fact, Brazil has a thing called Carnival. It takes place in February and they dress up just like on Halloween; But they also are known to celebrate openly in the nude, too. Sex happens at these things. Then there is the Day of the Dead in Mexico. Many countries celebrate death and or sin of some kind at a particular part of the year.

You said:
If you live in the ghetto, you leave certain lights on, especially porch lights, whether you're home or not. That's a safety issue not just for your house, but passersby.

Many kids do not celebrate Halloween in their own ghetto neighborhood because it is too dangerous. They go to the rich neighborhoods where it is safer and more profitable in regards to the candy. Also, one does not have to answer the door if they knock, either. The point is not to partake in a day that celebrates darkness. We can reach kids without resorting to partaking in a pagan holiday.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Tetra said:
There really seems to be a huge confusion in this thread over fantasy vs reality.

Why would somebody want to fantasize about sinful things like witchcraft, murder, devils, and the fear of evil things? The Bible says we are to lead every thought captive to Jesus Christ (2 Corinthians 10:5). It does not sound like one is doing that if they are partaking in a holiday that celebrates the display of evil things. Jesus says that if we were to look upon another in lust, our whole body could be cast into hellfire (Matthew 5:28-30). So having a fantasy of another woman is a serious sin that can lead to not having good consequences for our soul.

You said:
Dressing up as a witch makes you a witch, just as much as someone going to church makes them a Christian.

I never said that a person was a witch if they dress up as a witch. But their fantasizing about being a witch is the same as saying that the sin of witchcraft is not wrong and it is okay. In essence: it is basically saying that it is okay to pretend to be sinful. But if one is in the light of Christ, why would they want to indulge in such darkness? It makes no sense. What could promoting the sin of witchcraft offer for a Christian?

It's like inappropriate content. One is not a inappropriate content star if they watch inappropriate content, but watching inappropriate content is still sinful because one has to agree that inappropriate content is okay and then fantasize in a sinful way.

You said:
Next you're going to tell me people who play D&D are actual sorcerers or something.

I remember playing role playing games back in the 80's a lot. The thing is that I wanted to cast spells because of the role playing games we played had spells within them.

You said:
Jeepers, global poverty,

You are going to have to take that one up with God.
Jesus says the poor will always be among you.

You said:
300,000 child soldiers are in Africa, mass killings...

This is merely a distraction. You are attempting to minimize the problems of Halloween by means of distracting us away to what appears to be bigger problems in the world. I am sorry. The problems of Halloween are still wrong because they promote sinful things.

You said:
I'm sure God really isn't too concerned about kids running around in costumes. This thread is non-sense.

I do not believe that. I believe God is concerned with children thinking it is okay to dress up as sinful things that He hates. I believe it grieves God to see such things because God is holy and righteous and cannot tolerate continual sin and rebellion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Amen!! All these self righteous know it alls presume to tell others what to do so they can be like them. The ones trying to tell Christians what to celebrate or not are whitewashed tombs!

Yeah, I had to cut it off with a Christian woman I went on a date with that claimed that she refused to go to a Halloween party with a Meetup group she normally attends (local social club). I'm thinking why is she hanging with these people routinely, but yet avoids their Halloween party.

The host had taken ill and be hospitalized the day after, and she claimed she was "cursed" for hosting the Halloween party.

Yes..no joke. Apparently, she was associating some bad "ju-ju" with hosting a Halloween party. I was thinking, "Hm, what a good plot for a Hollywood horror flick. lol"

I was like "She was so overweight that she needed a scooter to get around in, no wonder she was hospitalized"

I found it odd that after our differences have been exposed, that she STILL wanted to see me again. lol. She probably wanted to convert me.:p

There really seems to be a huge confusion in this thread over fantasy vs reality.

Right, I think there was this thing in the news where a certain group of religious zealots that were against reading the Harry Potter books. *eyeroll*

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I had to cut it off with a Christian woman I went on a date with that claimed that she refused to go to a Halloween party with a Meetup group she normally attends (local social club). I'm thinking why is she hanging with these people routinely, but yet avoids their Halloween party.

The host had taken ill and be hospitalized the day after, and she claimed she was "cursed" for hosting the Halloween party.

Yes..no joke. Apparently, she was associating some bad "ju-ju" with hosting a Halloween party. I was thinking, "Hm, what a good plot for a Hollywood horror flick. lol"

I was like "She was so overweight that she needed a scooter to get around in, no wonder she was hospitalized"

I found it odd that after our differences have been exposed, that she STILL wanted to see me again. lol. She probably wanted to convert me.:p

Right, I think there was this thing in the news where a certain group of religious zealots that were against reading the Harry Potter books. *eyeroll*

Do you believe witchcraft is wrong and that God hates witchcraft?

The Bible says,

10 "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God." (Deuteronomy 18:10-13).

So if one is fantasizing about things (like witches or witchcraft) that God hates, then one is not having the mind of God but they are having their thoughts and focus on a sinful things that is an abomination unto the Lord.

In the Old Testament (not the New Testament), the punishment for witchcraft was death.

"A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:27).​

However, God has not changed his mind mind on sorcery leading to destruction in the New Testament.

After this body dies, there will be a judgment followed by the Lake of Fire for the wicked.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Revelation 21:8).​

However some might say, "But it is just fantasy and I am not doing it, so it is okay, right?"

I would say, "Wrong."
How so?

Well, Jesus says that to just fantasize about having sex with a woman is the same of committing adultery but it is committing adultery in your heart.

27 "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." (Matthew 5:27-30).​

Meaning, one is play fantasizing about sinful things in their own mind, God treats that as being the same as committing the crime itself. Meaning, it can condemn a believer.

John says that if you hate your brother, you are like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in him (See 1 John 3:15). So the sin of hate is similar or like unto being a murderer. It is where murder can start. We see this in the story of Cain and Abel (See Genesis 4). Cain was wroth or angry at his brother (Abel) in the fact that he was doing the right thing that God commanded of him (i.e. a religious zealout?) and Abel was then eventually then killed by his own brother.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Trumpeter2
Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you believe witchcraft is wrong and that God hates witchcraft?

The Bible says,

10 "There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch,
11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the LORD: and because of these abominations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
13 Thou shalt be perfect with the LORD thy God." (Deuteronomy 18:10-13).​

So if one is fantasizing about things (like witches or witchcraft) that God hates, then one is not having the mind of God but they are having their thoughts and focus on a sinful things that is an abomination unto the Lord.

In the Old Testament (not the New Testament), the punishment for witchcraft was death.

"A man also or woman that hath a familiar spirit, or that is a wizard, shall surely be put to death: they shall stone them with stones: their blood shall be upon them." (Leviticus 20:27).

However, God has not changed his mind mind on sorcery leading to destruction in the New Testament.

After this body dies, there will be a judgment followed by the Lake of Fire for the wicked.

"But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death." (Revelation 21:8).​

However some might say, "But it is just fantasy and I am not doing it, so it is okay, right?"

I would say, "Wrong."
How so?

Well, Jesus says that to just fantasize about having sex with a woman is the same of committing adultery but it is committing adultery in your heart.

27 "Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:
28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.
29 And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
30 And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell." (Matthew 5:27-30).​

Meaning, one is play fantasizing about sinful things in their own mind, God treats that as being the same as committing the crime itself. Meaning, it can condemn a believer.

John says that if you hate your brother, you are like a murderer and no murderer has eternal life abiding in him. So the sin of hate is similar or like unto being a murderer. It is where murder can start. We see this in the story of Cain and Abel. Cain was wroth or angry at his brother in the fact that he was doing the right thing that God commanded of him (i.e. a religious zealout?) and Abel was killed by his own brother.

There is no such thing as witch craft. If I chanted a spell to cast warts on someone, and it doesn't work, that just proves such a thing doesn't exist.

Even if this is case, at least God sent his only son to forgive us our sins. ;-) From the way you put it, sin is inevitable if it's even in thought, because everyone, even Christians, have these thoughts from time to time throughout their lives.

Tell me something Jason, are you even an ordained minister? You've mentioned that you've been a Christian for only 2 years, so your posts are pretty telling that you've not have much experience in the faith.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
There is no such thing as witch craft. If I chanted a spell to cast warts on someone, and it doesn't work, that just proves such a thing doesn't exist.

Try telling that to Satanists, or Wiccans or those who practice the dark art of sorcery today.
Solomon says there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9).
If it happened back in the past, then it can happen today.
In fact, God condemns sorcery in the New Testament (See Revelation 21:8).
If it does not exist in the New Testament, then why does God condemn it for us?

You said:
Even if this is case, at least God sent his only son to forgive us our sins. ;-) From the way you put it, sin is inevitable if it's even in thought, because everyone, even Christians, have these thoughts from time to time throughout their lives.

Jesus did not die so we can live in our sins. That would not be true repentance or fulfilling the the intended purpose of why the Son of God came.

25 "...even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:25-27).

So we see here in this above passage that Christ gave himself for the church that he might sanctify and wash it by the washing of the water of the Word (i.e. Scripture) that he might present to himself a church without spot, without wrinkle, and that it would be holy and without blemish.

A similar thing is said here:

"Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." (Titus 2:14).

For Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him.

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;" (Hebrews 5:9).

For Jude warns us about those who would turn God's grace into a license for immoraltiy. For he says,

"For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Jude 1:4) (NIV).

You said:
Tell me something Jason, are you even an ordained minister? You've mentioned that you've been a Christian for only 2 years, so your posts are pretty telling that you've not have much experience in the faith.

Where did I say I was a Christian for two years? You must have me confused with somebody else. I accepted Jesus Christ in 1992 by a chick tract called "This Was Your Life." I backslid into the ways of the world a few years after (with me still believing in Jesus as my Savior) and I renewed my faith back in the Lord in the fall of 2010 (with a dedication to living for Him). Since that time, I have taken to a deep study of God's Word.

But for your information, Stephen was a very young believer and yet he was very knowledgeable about the Word of God. He was stoned by the Pharisees. So it is possible for a new believer to be knowledgable very quickly if they study to show themselves approved unto God (2 Timothy 2:15).

When did you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior?
Do you do deep studies of God's Word?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

Trumpeter2

Servant of God and His Christ
Oct 10, 2017
Alberta
✟23,858.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is no such thing as witch craft.
That’s incorrect.
My sister is a witch and she practices witchcraft.
She belongs to a religion called Wicca and she has totally rejected her only hope of salvation.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That’s incorrect.
My sister is a witch and she practices witchcraft.
She belongs to a religion called Wicca and she has totally rejected her only hope of salvation.

There's a difference between those wack jobs (no offense), and those that simply go trick or treating once a year that aren't even wiccans nor practice it either.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Try telling that to Satanists, or Wiccans or those who practice the dark art of sorcery today.
Solomon says there is nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes 1:9).
If it happened back in the past, then it can happen today.
In fact, God condemns sorcery in the New Testament (See Revelation 21:8).
If it does not exist in the New Testament, then why does God condemn it for us?

Jesus did not die so we can live in our sins. That would not be true repentance or fulfilling the the intended purpose of why the Son of God came.

25 "...even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish." (Ephesians 5:25-27).

So we see here in this above passage that Christ gave himself for the church that he might sanctify and wash it by the washing of the water of the Word (i.e. Scripture) that he might present to himself a church without spot, without wrinkle, and that it would be holy and without blemish.

A similar thing is said here:

"Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works." (Titus 2:14).

For Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who OBEY Him.

"And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;" (Hebrews 5:9).

For Jude warns us about those who would turn God's grace into a license for immoraltiy. For he says,

"For certain individuals whose condemnation was written about long ago have secretly slipped in among you. They are ungodly people, who pervert the grace of our God into a license for immorality and deny Jesus Christ our only Sovereign and Lord." (Jude 1:4) (NIV).

Where did I say I was a Christian for two years? You must have me confused with somebody else. I accepted Jesus Christ in 1992 by a chick tract called "This Was Your Life." I backslid into the ways of the world a few years after (with me still believing in Jesus as my Savior) and I renewed my faith back in the Lord in the fall of 2010 (with a dedication to living for Him). Since that time, I have taken to a deep study of God's Word.

But for your information, Stephen was a very young believer and yet he was very knowledgeable about the Word of God. He was stoned by the Pharisees. So it is possible for a new believer to be knowledgable very quickly if they study to show themselves approved unto God (2 Timothy 2:15).

When did you accept Jesus Christ as your Savior?
Do you do deep studies of God's Word?

I accepted him since I was a child, why do you ask? Yes, I have done deep studies...been a Christian since I was a child. Went to Catholic school. My parents did as well.

Upvote 0

Trumpeter2

Servant of God and His Christ
Oct 10, 2017
Alberta
✟23,858.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There's a difference between those wack jobs (no offense), and those that simply go trick or treating once a year that aren't even wiccans nor practice it either.
Not in God’s eyes.
Fantasy is the same as reality.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I accepted him since I was a child, why do you ask? Yes, I have done deep studies...been a Christian since I was a child. Went to Catholic school. My parents did as well.

Did you dedicate your life to Jesus Christ?
Meaning, did you say to the Lord that you want to live for Him in all you do?
This for me is when God's Word came alive. It might be different for you, but for me, my life was forever changed. Granted, accepting Christ in 1992 was a huge transformation, too. It was like a light went on inside of me. I wanted everyone to know what it was like to know the love of Jesus and to be saved.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,803.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, you're wrong then.

Try re-reading Matthew 5:27-30 in prayer a couple of times.
Basically Jesus is saying that the thought crime of adultery is the equivallent of condemnation of physical adultery. Also, read 1 John 3:15 in prayer, as well. John says that if you hate your brother, you are like a murderer, and no murderer has eternal life abiding in him.

• Agree
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.