What holidays do you think should be forbidden for a Christian to participate in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
What holidays do you think should be forbidden for a Christian to participate in?

And discuss.

I cannot think of a single holiday that should actually be forbidden to Christians. Although many holidays have pagan roots, any moral or ethical problems lie not in the holiday itself but in the intent of the people involved.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
While I believe God calls us to put away our love for the world and it's things, I am going to go with Halloween, and the secular version of Christmas and the secular version of Easter as being forbidden.

Halloween is clearly at the top of the list as being the most Satanic.
Why a Christian would want to have anything to do with this day is beyond me.
In fact, I believe Christian ministries should not put forth Halloween tracts or set up Hell houses at their church or anything to associate with this dark and evil day. God calls us to be holy and separate.

Christmas with Santa and a tree with lights, etc. is the secular version of Christmas. I also do not think that giving should be just on one day of the year but we should be freely giving all the time. Granted, this is hard to do but are love should not be forced by some holiday that comes once a year. We should love naturally every day.

Easter involving the celebration of a bunny with baskets full of chocolate is the celebration of fertility. There is no denying that. We as believers should stick to celebrating the resurrection of Christ and not imitate the secular things of this world. Granted, I believe we as believers should strive to be holy and separate and not imitate the world in any way, but it takes time for believers to mature in Christ.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Halloween is a perfect example of a holiday that no Christian should be a part of (Regardless of their conscience condemning them or not). I believe it is forbidden for a Christian. Then again, most Christians are not exactly seeking to live holy these days. So participating in a holiday that glorifies Satan and his evil ways is not a problem for them.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Individually, anything causing a conflict of conscious.

Can we say the same for murder?

What exactly is wrong with holidays like Halloween on a moral level?

Do you think it is God honoring or Satan honoring?

Reactions: lismore
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
God of course.
If He has forbidden some holidays, surely He has made that know in some other way besides your personal reasoning.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
I have always loved this bit of satire:

A funny thing overheard on the way to the forum

What’s this empire coming to? Now they want us to stop greeting people with "Io Saturnalia!? "We have all these different cultures in Rome" they tell us, "We shouldn’t offend anyone" they tell us, "We’ve got to be inclusive".

We’ve got the barbarians from the north with their tree decorations and their fire rituals. And the weirdos from Gaul, cutting mistletoe with a golden sickle. And the Mithraists, the Zoroastrians, the Isis cults, and, of course, those characters who hang out in the catacombs. "Hail, Winter!" we’re supposed to say. I ask you, what next: we lose the feast? We stop the Solstice parties? No more honoring Ops, goddess of abundance?

I was buying some greenery down by the Forum the other day, and there’s old Macrobius with some Visigoth chick, and she goes, "Gut Jule." And I go, "Hey! In this country, we say, 'Io, Saturnalia' Maybe you should go back to where you came from? "Then Macrobius goes, "She can’t, she’s a slave." Whatever. At this time of year, the Visigoths sacrifice a pig and burn a special log that they dance around, instead of acting like normal people and going to the temple of Saturn.

I swear, I was at this party over at Septima Commodia’s house the other day. She always has a Saturnalia party. Anyway, she decorated the place with prickly green leaves. "It’s holly" she said, "The latest fashion from Brittania. They all do it in Londinium." It gets worse.

She had this statue of some goddess from Ultima Thule or somewhere, name of Frigga, sitting right there on the dining room mensa. I mean, this is darned near blasphemous. I’d be scared about what the lares and penates would do if I put that thing in my house. But Septima Commodia just said, "Oh get over it! We’re cosmopolitan around here." Cosmopolitan. That’s what they call it. Well by Jupiter, I live in Latium. I’m a Roman. And this empire was founded on the principle that the gods, our gods, must be honored at the appropriate time and in the appropriate way. None of this foreign heretical nonsense or these strange customs from Germania or Hibernia or Palestine. I say, "Io, Saturnalia!" and if you don’t like it, you can leave.

Thanks to "Witch" from wondercafe.ca

Reactions: Anguspure
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Can we say the same for murder?

What exactly is wrong with holidays like Halloween on a moral level?

Do you think it is God honoring or Satan honoring?

Murder is a defined sin. Celebrating a holiday is not. And as to honoring, it's back to individual conflict. A sin to one person in this area isn't necessarily a sin to all people.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
While I believe God calls us to put away our love for the world and it's things, I am going to go with Halloween, and the secular version of Christmas and the secular version of Easter as being forbidden.

In fact, I believe Christian ministries should not put forth Halloween tracts or Hell houses or anything to associate with this dark and evil day. God calls us to be holy and separate.

Christmas with Santa and a tree with lights, etc. is the secular version of Christmas. I also do not think that giving should be just on one day of the year but we should be freely giving all the time. Granted, this is hard to do but are love should not be forced by some holiday that comes once a year. We should love naturally every day.

Easter involving the celebration of a bunny with baskets full of chocolate is the celebration of fertility. There is no denying that. We as believers should stick to celebrating the resurrection of Christ and not imitate the secular things of this world. Granted, I believe we as believers should strive to be holy and separate and not imitate the world in any way, but it takes time for believers to mature in Christ.
So what you're against is the way secular humans celebrate holidays, not the holidays themselves. You DO know, of course, that Halloween is a Catholic holiday-the evening before the Feast of All Saints? We celebrate by beginning our feast day remembering those in heaven and asking their prayers for us. The world (western world) celebrates by carousing, begging candy and playing tricks on people.
Christians celebrate Christmas by honoring our Lord on his birthday. The world celebrates by giving presents to each other and Santa and the rest.
Christians celebrate Easter by remembering our Lord's sacrifice on the cross, and subsequent resurrection. The world celebrates with chicks and bunnies, etc.

So bottom line, it is up to YOU how you celebrate the holy day. Remember, keep Christ in your Christmas.

Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In fact, I believe Christian ministries should not put forth Halloween tracts or Hell houses or anything to associate with this dark and evil day. God calls us to be holy and separate.

I can't agree with any of that, but I suppose we ought not celebrate any Muslim or Wiccan holy days, etc.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
None, There is therefore no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus.....who walk not after the flesh.....

So lets get out our devils mask and get ready to get some candy......anyone with me?

Obviously you misinterpret the part that says.... who walk not after the flesh. Walking after the flesh is in reference to sin or doing things that are sinful (Kind of like Halloween). Paul says avoid having any appearance of evil. So why would you want to put on a mask of the devil? Even if Paul told you not to have any appearance of evil, it is common sense not to immitate that which is sinful or wrong. Especially when Christians are to be a holy and separate people from the world. Have you ever read in Scripture of how Christians are to be holy and peculiar from the world?

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light." (1 Peter 2:9).

Romans 8:12-13 says,
12 "Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."

2 Corinthians 7:1 says,
"Having therefore these promises, dearly beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God."

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what you're against is the way secular humans celebrate holidays, not the holidays themselves. You DO know, of course, that Halloween is a Catholic holiday-the evening before the Feast of All Saints? We celebrate by beginning our feast day remembering those in heaven and asking their prayers for us. The world (western world) celebrates by carousing, begging candy and playing tricks on people.
Christians celebrate Christmas by honoring our Lord on his birthday. The world celebrates by giving presents to each other and Santa and the rest.
Christians celebrate Easter by remembering our Lord's sacrifice on the cross, and subsequent resurrection. The world celebrates with chicks and bunnies, etc.

So bottom line, it is up to YOU how you celebrate the holy day. Remember, keep Christ in your Christmas.

I don't have a time machine to confirm that your version of history is true or not.
All I can go by is by what I see now.
People dress up as Satan, and other evil things and yet Scripture says we are not to have any appearance of evil. Granted, Paul should not have to tell us this, but he does. Anything that seeks to glorify Satan is wrong. It does not matter what your church claims. It is simply not true in regards to what the Bible says and basic morality.

Also, Halloween is a high occult day and is celebrated by Satanists.
Some of them are shocked that Christians would even participate in a holiday like this.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have always loved this bit of satire:

Sorry, God is not into religious tolerance. Not all religions are the same; And not everyone is going to be saved. Only the Bible is true. If people glorify other gods and do not care, then I would say, "Do they know the one true God?"

Upvote 0

Trumpeter2

Servant of God and His Christ
Oct 10, 2017
Alberta
✟23,858.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These modern holidays called Christmas, Easter, Halloween and the like, are an abomination in the eyes of The Most High God!

Deu 12:4 - “Do not worship the LORD your God in the way these pagan peoples worship their gods

Zep 1:8 - “On that day of judgment,”
says the LORD,
“I will punish the leaders and princes of Judah
and all those following pagan customs

Zep 1:9 - Yes, I will punish those who participate in pagan worship ceremonies

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.