What are you thoughts on Black Friday? Should they keep it or do away with it?

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I work in retail and the week of black friday is absolutely horrible. For my job, Black Friday has turned into Black Thursday instead and when customers should be thankful for the items they have and the people who are in their lives, they instead turn into monsters and will kill to get that one deal.

People turn into monsters on Thanksgiving and on Black Friday. I think it's horrible. And I have to deal w/ it. I worked on Thanksgiving and I answer phones. I had so many people on the phones curse me out bc departments wouldn't pick up the phones. What can i do? The store was extremely packed.

People need to look at themselves inwardly and see how bad they're acting. All in the thoughts/wants of getting a better deal.

Do you know that many of the items produced for black friday (TV's and what not) are made a lot cheaper and although the price of them is way down, you're getting a product that is super cheap to so, in the longrun, you're going to be spending more money to get that TV or other electronic fixed or replaced, then if you just got it at regular price. Sure, they look the same but the components on the black friday deals are much cheaper. Not worth it in my book. I'd rather buy something that'll last.

Black Thursday/Black Friday gives me reason only to buy online and I will continue to only buy online as many times I can get free shipping plus 0 tax so, it's a big plus in my book. I hate shopping to begin w/.

sundewgrower

Site Supporter
Nov 6, 2014
somewhere
✟110,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
I avoid Black Friday and just stick to the internet.
Within that I realize that the price "drops" are permanent, and therefore irrelevant unless you need something a bit cheaper NOW then next year. I've found a few good online deals like Amazon's tablets, and etc but overall the whole BIG SALE thing is a bunch of big hype.

Upvote 0

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟434,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I hate it for all the same reasons every other hater hates Black Friday. I like to stay holed up at home, keep a fire going and read or watch Netflix. I've never gone out in my life on Black Friday (unless it's to grab some takeout) and I hope I never have to.

Cyber Monday's good enough for me. ;)

Upvote 0

MrMoe

Part-Time Breatharian
Sep 13, 2011
Moe's Tavern
✟144,835.00
Faith
Christian
I work in retail and the week of black friday is absolutely horrible. For my job, Black Friday has turned into Black Thursday instead and when customers should be thankful for the items they have and the people who are in their lives, they instead turn into monsters and will kill to get that one deal.

People turn into monsters on Thanksgiving and on Black Friday. I think it's horrible. And I have to deal w/ it. I worked on Thanksgiving and I answer phones. I had so many people on the phones curse me out bc departments wouldn't pick up the phones. What can i do? The store was extremely packed.

People need to look at themselves inwardly and see how bad they're acting. All in the thoughts/wants of getting a better deal.

Do you know that many of the items produced for black friday (TV's and what not) are made a lot cheaper and although the price of them is way down, you're getting a product that is super cheap to so, in the longrun, you're going to be spending more money to get that TV or other electronic fixed or replaced, then if you just got it at regular price. Sure, they look the same but the components on the black friday deals are much cheaper. Not worth it in my book. I'd rather buy something that'll last.

Black Thursday/Black Friday gives me reason only to buy online and I will continue to only buy online as many times I can get free shipping plus 0 tax so, it's a big plus in my book. I hate shopping to begin w/.

black-friday-meme.jpg

'MURICA!

Upvote 0

Stravinsk

Neo Baroque/Rococo Classical Artist
Mar 4, 2009
Australia
✟9,955.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Politics
US-Libertarian

Quoted for awesomeness.

Although I exchange gifts with friends/relatives on occasion, it isn't centered around any holiday, especially not one where the exchanges are -expected- so I enjoy freedom from things like Black Friday and the people who receive gifts from me know they got something because I was thinking of them and wanted to give it - not because I had to.

Upvote 0

KitKatMatt

stupid bleeding heart feminist liberal
May 2, 2013
✟29,520.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I usually people watch on Black Friday (and Thursday, which is when it started last year here).

I don't dare try to find or buy anything, because I'd be stuck in a store for hours. Plus, I don't even need anything that they're selling.

I find it odd and sometimes entertaining at best. Horrifying and animalistic at worst (when people start shoving carts over and screaming, pushing, shoving, and hurting each other for stupid material goods).

Should businesses get rid of it? That's on them, not on me. If I had a store, I would not run Black Friday, personally. Whether that's a good decision or not doesn't really matter, I wouldn't want to put my staff through that hell.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
I think it's disgraceful the lengths people will go to just to save some money.

If it was online then it wouldn't be a problem, but it's downright dangerous physically and likely mentally detrimental to the overall health of society.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single

People turn into monsters on Thanksgiving and on Black Friday. I think it's horrible. And I have to deal w/ it.
In my opinion, they don't "turn into" monsters. The people who do this are a certain type of person. The stores are just encouraging their outrageous approach to life.

Hopefully, the craziness decreases as Cyber Monday and online Black Friday sales become more popular.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sk8brdkd

Audio A Sk8er
Feb 25, 2006
Wayne
Visit site
✟73,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
As long as people go out for Black Thursday (soon to be Black Wednesday), it will exist.

I can't wait for them to open stores on Thursday at like 2 pm!

Why don't u stop and think about what you're saying. It's people like you who force people in retail to not be able to spend time with their families on holidays bc they want the stores to open earlier and earlier. Put yourself in their shoes. How would you like it if u had to work every single holiday and never be able to be off to spend time with your family??

Black Friday is Supposed to happen Friday. Not on Thanksgiving. I was able to take part in Thanksgiving this year but it was rushed. I drove 2 hrs to my aunts house, stayed 2 hrs, then drove back home 2 hrs to get to work. I was late arriving to work but worked a full shift and didn't leave til 2am. A very long and exhaustive day.

My store decided to stay open 24 hrs that one day bc of all the people.

It's easy for u to say find another job but guess what? I've been looking and applying to other places for a year now n nothing has come of it.

Black Friday needs to stay on Friday only. Let people spend time at home on Thanksgiving.

Upvote 0

Rajni

☯ Ego ad Eum pertinent ☯
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2007
Visit site
✟1,242,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Single
Black Friday needs to stay on Friday only. Let people spend time at home on Thanksgiving.
I agree.

I'm not a fan of Black Friday either and will do whatever I can to
avoid being out and about on that day.

And the whole thing of retail places being open on any holiday kind
of bugs me. Workers should be home with their families, or just to
put their feet up and rest a bit. Retail, especially ... I just started
working as a cashier in a grocery-store this past summer (after
applying all over for secretarial positions without any success). So I
completely empathize with that whole experience, now (though
I have to say I do kind of get a kick out of cashiering -- I'm torn,
now, as to which I like better between running a register and
secretarial-work :D ).

I really don't see how being closed on any particular holiday is going
to hurt the pocket-books of retail corporations *that* much, but
I'm no business-person. But, it does seem that priorities are
definitely screwed up on this one.

-

Upvote 0

AztecSDSU

Apr 14, 2014
✟1,989.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I'm not a huge fan of crowds, so I tend to avoid black Friday. That said, this whole thread seems like people taking a few isolated incidents and blowing them way out of proportion. You get people in large groups there are going to be incidents. Doesn't matter if it's a football game, a concert, or a shopping tradition like black Friday.

Upvote 0

AztecSDSU

Apr 14, 2014
✟1,989.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Then there are others like me who are looking for any excuse to get away for Thanksgiving and hey, if retailers want to encourage us, it happens.

Working retail on holidays isn't unexpected.

Do you really need to shop so badly it becomes an excuse to ruin other people's holidays? Of course this "screw everyone that isn't me" mentality is the exact reason why people that aren't low wage retail workers are now working holidays they used to get off. You're not going to be so fond of this mentality in a few years when your boss decides that Thanksgiving is really only about dinner so you can go ahead and come in until 4 PM and work Friday too.

Upvote 0