✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Job 28:28.
The fear of the Lord is not terror. It is a firm respect and love for the Lord in the light of what He did for us on the Cross of Calvary.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The fear of the Lord is not terror. It is a firm respect and love for the Lord in the light of what He did for us on the Cross of Calvary.

I agree. Yet my bible still calls it fear. And understanding is putting this fear into action by rejecting evil.

Upvote 0

Ephesians321

Oct 24, 2023
Riverside
✟5,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi,

I'm not doing well. In fact I don't even know if it's a good idea to ask such questions on a forum because you get so many different
answers/views from different people. But at the same time I feel a strong need to talk to someone about this and get some input.

I'll try to make this short. Yesterday I was listening to a sermon and the speaker quoted from Matthew 10, he that endures til the end will be saved.

He said that this is a warning to christians. He made it look like this is about salvation and that unless you "endure" you're not getting saved!!!!!!

This totally scared me.

Then I read the rest of Matthew 10 and felt even worse.

There are simply SO many statements from Jesus in verses 33-39 which sound so harsh and scary. I really don't know how to deal with this.

I don't know how other christians react to such verses, but I am TOTALLY disturbed and scared by them.

I also cannot make such statements from Jesus fit to other statements which sound totally different.

How, for example, does Jesus saying he will not cast anyone out who comes to him fit together with Jesus saying that if you love your parents more

than him you're not worthy of him?

This stuff simply sounds so harsh.

Then how shall I know if I am "worthy" of Jesus?!?!?

What if Jesus, if He was here on earth, would say to me: Sorry, you're not worthy of me. You're not picking up your cross, you're not dedicated enough,

you're not willing to really suffer for me!?

When I get such thoughts it totally drags me down and scares me and makes me feel totally separated from God.

And this happens ALL THE TIME whenever I read a verse in the bible which sounds scary or which puts pressure on me.

I don't know how to deal with this anymore. :(

Have you ever heard that a christian is scared of reading in the bible because of all the scary verses?! This is simply crazy.

I have made this experience over the years SO many times. I read in the bible, come across scary verses, then I instantly feel totally miserable

and distanced from God.

Because of this I really don't even dare anymore to read in the bible.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (-> is this about salvation?
does this mean if you're held at gunpoint by a terrorist and then you're too afraid to say you're a christian then you'll lose your salvation
and God is done with you?!?!?)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (what does this mean? does this mean that Jesus
wants people to get into conflict over faith issues?)

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
(what does this mean? does this mean that if you're a christian and your parents are not that you should stop obeying them if they somehow hinder
your christian activities, like for example going to church or meeting with other christians??!)

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. (what does take up your cross even mean? how shall a person
know if she is taking up her cross "enough"? and what does it even mean when you're "not worthy"? is this about salvation??!?!)

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (what does this mean? to me it sounds like pressure.
when I read this i feel a lot of pressure. how shall I know if I fulfill these requirements?!)
I am a full preterist. Jesus is speaking about the Jewish Christians and their Roman-empowered persecutors, the Jews and Judaizers in the 1st Century. These two movements literally divided Jewish families and Jewish-Christians became ostracized in society even by their own family members and non-Christian Jewish citizens. Their persecutions were restrained by Claudius Caesar shortly under a religio licita law which protected Christians and outlawed any Jewish persecutions. But Claudius was murdered by his wife Agrippina which led to the succession of his adopted son Nero Caesar (Man of Sin, Son of Perdition) who had a Jewish converted wife which helped return the Jews and their persecutions back into imperial favor and the Great Tribulation (Rev. 14:4, 7:14). Please read this passage in its proper context. The same dragon (socio-political satanic personifications) that tried to kill Jesus upon his birth is the same dragon (socio-political satanic personifications) that tried destroy his newly born church in the same generation Rev. 12. Claudius Caesar is the Angel that binds Satan, the Restrainer, the Earth that opened up and swallowed the flood from the mouth of the dragon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Stephen3141

Mar 14, 2023
Southwest
✟39,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
The choice to follow Jesus, is a hard one.

But, God does not require perfection from us, in order that
we continue as disciples of Jesus.

What he does expect, is growth toward perfection.

And, we are promised that God will not allow us to face testing/temptation
that is too difficult for us to overcome. This should comfort us.

1 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the vine grower. 2 He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and every one that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit. 3 You are already pruned because of the word that I spoke to you. 4 Remain in me, as I remain in you. Just as a branch cannot bear fruit on its own unless it remains on the vine, so neither can you unless you remain in me. 5 I am the vine, you are the branches. Whoever remains in me and I in him will bear much fruit, because without me you can do nothing. 6 c Anyone who does not remain in me will be thrown out like a branch and wither; people will gather them and throw them into a fire and they will be burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask for whatever you want and it will be done for you. 8 By this is my Father glorified, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), Jn 15:1–8.

12 Therefore, whoever thinks he is standing secure should take care not to fall. 13 No trial has come to you but what is human. God is faithful and will not let you be tried beyond your strength; but with the trial he will also provide a way out, so that you may be able to bear it.
New American Bible, Revised Edition. (Washington, DC: The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, 2011), 1 Co 10:12–13.

Upvote 0

HarleyER

Jan 4, 2024
Toano
✟17,224.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm not doing well. In fact I don't even know if it's a good idea to ask such questions on a forum because you get so many different
answers/views from different people. But at the same time I feel a strong need to talk to someone about this and get some input.

I'll try to make this short. Yesterday I was listening to a sermon and the speaker quoted from Matthew 10, he that endures til the end will be saved.

He said that this is a warning to christians. He made it look like this is about salvation and that unless you "endure" you're not getting saved!!!!!!

This totally scared me.

Then I read the rest of Matthew 10 and felt even worse.

There are simply SO many statements from Jesus in verses 33-39 which sound so harsh and scary. I really don't know how to deal with this.

I don't know how other christians react to such verses, but I am TOTALLY disturbed and scared by them.

I also cannot make such statements from Jesus fit to other statements which sound totally different.

How, for example, does Jesus saying he will not cast anyone out who comes to him fit together with Jesus saying that if you love your parents more

than him you're not worthy of him?

This stuff simply sounds so harsh.

Then how shall I know if I am "worthy" of Jesus?!?!?

What if Jesus, if He was here on earth, would say to me: Sorry, you're not worthy of me. You're not picking up your cross, you're not dedicated enough,

you're not willing to really suffer for me!?

When I get such thoughts it totally drags me down and scares me and makes me feel totally separated from God.

And this happens ALL THE TIME whenever I read a verse in the bible which sounds scary or which puts pressure on me.

I don't know how to deal with this anymore. :(

Have you ever heard that a christian is scared of reading in the bible because of all the scary verses?! This is simply crazy.

I have made this experience over the years SO many times. I read in the bible, come across scary verses, then I instantly feel totally miserable

and distanced from God.

Because of this I really don't even dare anymore to read in the bible.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (-> is this about salvation?
does this mean if you're held at gunpoint by a terrorist and then you're too afraid to say you're a christian then you'll lose your salvation
and God is done with you?!?!?)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (what does this mean? does this mean that Jesus
wants people to get into conflict over faith issues?)

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
(what does this mean? does this mean that if you're a christian and your parents are not that you should stop obeying them if they somehow hinder
your christian activities, like for example going to church or meeting with other christians??!)

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. (what does take up your cross even mean? how shall a person
know if she is taking up her cross "enough"? and what does it even mean when you're "not worthy"? is this about salvation??!?!)

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (what does this mean? to me it sounds like pressure.
when I read this i feel a lot of pressure. how shall I know if I fulfill these requirements?!)
None of us are worthy of Christ and what He has done for us. Paul, under the direction of the Holy Spirit, stated that he was the "chief of sinners". So consider that fact...you're not the chief of sinners.

That being said, what it sounds like to me is not necessarily an issue of assurance of salvation. It sounds like is you are wondering if your doing enough "good works" for Christ. Well, we are not the ones who does good works. God works through us to accomplish His purpose.

So how can you tell if you are in the faith? 1 John tells us.

1st John states the purpose for the letter.

1st John 1:3 -So we may also have fellowship with other believers​
1st John 1:4 -That in having fellowship with other believers, everyone’s joy will be full.​
1st John 2:1 - So we may not sin.​
1st John 2:13-17 – For spiritual maturity.​
1st John 2:21-24 – To warn against those who deny the Father and the Son.​
1st John 2:26 – To warn us against those who would try to deceive us.​
1st John 5:13 – So that we know that we have eternal life.

John list seven traits of being born again.

1st Jn 2:29 – We practice righteousness.-You know that everyone also who practices righteousness is born of Him.​
1st John 3:9- We don’t make sin a habit. - No one who is born of God practices sin, because His seed abides in him; and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.​
1st John 4:7- We love one another. Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.​
1st John 5:1 (twice)- We believe that Jesus is the Christ and love Jesus. Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and whoever loves the Father loves the child born of Him.​
1st John 5:4- We have overcome the world by our faith. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world; and this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith.​
1st John 5:18-The evil one does not touch us. We know that no one who is born of God sins; but He who was born of God keeps him, and the evil one does not touch him.​

John also list the six tests of Christian genuineness.

1st John 1:7 walk in the Light, have fellowship​
1st John 1:9 confess our sin​
1st John 2:5 keeps His word, love​
1st John 2:6 walk in the same manner as He walked​
1st John 2:10 loves his brother abides in the Light​
1st John 4:21 one who loves God should love his brother also.​

BTW-John also list the seven tests of Christian UNgenuineness.

1st John 1:6 - False fellowship by walking in darkness.​
1st John 1:8 - False sanctity by denying we have sinned.​
1st John 1:10 - False righteousness by denying we are sinful creatures.​
1st John 2:4 - False allegiance by not keeping His commandments.​
1st John 2:6 - False behavior by not trying to walk as Christ walked.​
1st John 2:9 - False spirituality illustrated by hating others.​
1st John 4:20 - False love to God by hating others.​

You should simply relax and glorify our Lord Jesus for what he has done for you. Love and cling to the Word of God. Follow and measure yourself by the Apostle John's Checklist for Godly Living.

The fact that you are scared to read the Bible makes me question whether you're attending the right church and if they are preaching the right doctrine.

Upvote 0