✟13,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wisper it.

And I disagree. Life is pain and suffering... much more so if you choose Chist. This is the nature of living in a fallen world.
This is true. It's not easy living according to God and it's not popular. It takes strong belief and principals to navigate through a sinful world without conforming. 100% agree.

Reactions: dwb001
Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree.
I say with peace I don’t disagree.

It’s easy to say from experience that this is that and that is this, but I think you can frame it in love, peace and most importantly…encouragement. Sometimes straight between the eyes is not helping people in distress find progress.

God Bless

• Agree
Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In Jesus we have the absolute and categoric polar opposites of our flesh
Exactly. He did only the will of the Father, not His own. He taught us that we need to know who we are. We are not us but extensions of the Father. As extensions we allow His will to work through us which means we don't cut off our connection to Him by following, not His will, but our own. Even artists do not create, but form from what already exists.

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did not say you did it without love, I’m sorry if you felt that was the case.

You said “what I needed” not everyone is you.

I agree, living a Christian life is very tough but we are talking about someone in fear of reading Gods word, thus we have someone who could be turned away from being a Christian, maybe in some circumstances we need to coax people through difficulty with encouragement, we all have an obligation to help save others, adding bluntness may only serve to help people run away faster.
And sometimes that is exactly what I needed. So you have your methods and I have mine. But don't ever say that I posted without love.

I could say that being soft with a person about the difficulties involved with the Christian life is unloving.
Anyway peace and love to you brother

God Bless
David

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
and that is what is called rightly... creating.
Creation and artistry are two different things. The fallen angels may have called their deeds art in order to self justify but they created outside the will of God which a true artist would not do, creating that which did not exist within His will. Man has likewise followed the same path to the point now that man wants to create an entirely new type of human being based on tech and flesh. Is that art?

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
.... artists are following their own will, separate from the Creator, part of the world , sourced from and in the world, or worse...
Adam could be considered an artist for naming the contents of the Garden. He did not have to step outside God's will to do so. But yes, building anew upon old structures of man (such as a church upon the foundations of the Roman Empire) or creating a new human out of manmade, not God made, tech would not be art but rebellion against the original will of God.

Upvote 0

Beslowtoanger

Carrying my cross daily
Aug 25, 2023
Midlands
✟8,837.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So far I feel I am the only respondent that is making a personal effort. Just preaching is of limited value. Personal connection always works better for me.
That’s good for you and I’m pleased you find that works well.

I do think testimony can help too, in respect of the person feeling like it’s some kind of self affliction, but others can feel the same too and share their experience, It’s good to help sooth anxiety.

God Bless

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Adventist Heretic

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Sep 18, 2006
Parts Unknown
✟370,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Hi,

I'm not doing well. In fact I don't even know if it's a good idea to ask such questions on a forum because you get so many different
answers/views from different people. But at the same time I feel a strong need to talk to someone about this and get some input.

I'll try to make this short. Yesterday I was listening to a sermon and the speaker quoted from Matthew 10, he that endures til the end will be saved.

He said that this is a warning to christians. He made it look like this is about salvation and that unless you "endure" you're not getting saved!!!!!!

This totally scared me.

Then I read the rest of Matthew 10 and felt even worse.

There are simply SO many statements from Jesus in verses 33-39 which sound so harsh and scary. I really don't know how to deal with this.

I don't know how other christians react to such verses, but I am TOTALLY disturbed and scared by them.

I also cannot make such statements from Jesus fit to other statements which sound totally different.

How, for example, does Jesus saying he will not cast anyone out who comes to him fit together with Jesus saying that if you love your parents more

than him you're not worthy of him?

This stuff simply sounds so harsh.

Then how shall I know if I am "worthy" of Jesus?!?!?

What if Jesus, if He was here on earth, would say to me: Sorry, you're not worthy of me. You're not picking up your cross, you're not dedicated enough,

you're not willing to really suffer for me!?

When I get such thoughts it totally drags me down and scares me and makes me feel totally separated from God.

And this happens ALL THE TIME whenever I read a verse in the bible which sounds scary or which puts pressure on me.

I don't know how to deal with this anymore. :(

Have you ever heard that a christian is scared of reading in the bible because of all the scary verses?! This is simply crazy.

I have made this experience over the years SO many times. I read in the bible, come across scary verses, then I instantly feel totally miserable

and distanced from God.

Because of this I really don't even dare anymore to read in the bible.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven. (-> is this about salvation?
does this mean if you're held at gunpoint by a terrorist and then you're too afraid to say you're a christian then you'll lose your salvation
and God is done with you?!?!?)

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. (what does this mean? does this mean that Jesus
wants people to get into conflict over faith issues?)

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.
(what does this mean? does this mean that if you're a christian and your parents are not that you should stop obeying them if they somehow hinder
your christian activities, like for example going to church or meeting with other christians??!)

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me. (what does take up your cross even mean? how shall a person
know if she is taking up her cross "enough"? and what does it even mean when you're "not worthy"? is this about salvation??!?!)

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (what does this mean? to me it sounds like pressure.
when I read this i feel a lot of pressure. how shall I know if I fulfill these requirements?!)
I think you are looking at the text the wrong way. it is not about the pressure it is about the enduring or "outlasting". If you think of the TV show, "Survivor" the slogan is "outwit outlast, outplay" Then you will have what the Lord is saying. The emphasis is on outlasting the suffering and the problems there is a prize at the end. the salvation that it is talking about is the reward. it is to encourage you to keep going there Is help and a reward coming.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The emphasis is on outlasting the suffering and the problems there is a prize at the end.
And ironically we are our own worst enemy when it comes to putting our will ahead of the will of God. Of course we will stumble as we seek to rectify that backwards thinking (repent) but then that leaves the rest of the world to contend with in dealing with self interest on their part also. But fortunately every being is born with both abilities within so there is a 50/50 chance of conflict. Unless you run into a psychopath, most people however will respond to friendship in a good way. That is of course as long as the people put acting responsibly ahead of their own 'rights'. It's the concept behind loving all as self.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟187,697.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The Sermon on the Mount, is a message of hope, not despair.

Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

Blessed are they who mourn,
for they will be comforted.

Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the land.

Blessed are they who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be satisfied.

Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.

Blessed are the clean of heart,
for they will see God.

Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.

Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11Blessed are you when they insult you and persecute you and utter every kind of evil against you [falsely] because of me.

12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward will be great in heaven. Thus they persecuted the prophets who were before you.
Matthew 5:3-12

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟653,103.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Thread cleaned mod hat.jpg

PLEASE KEEP POSTS ABOUT THE THREAD TOPIC RATHER THAN MEMBERS

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A healthy dose of fear can help motivate selfish people to follow God rather than following their sinful nature. He uses our tribulations to inspire changes in ourselves that lead us to salvation. Fear is useful this way. I am definitely afraid of ignoring God's will and doing as I please. If God has blessed me with faith and given His son Jesus in sacrifice for my sins, I am compelled to give my will to the Lord in exchange for my salvation.

• Winner
Reactions: Beslowtoanger
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The Christian faith is not for the weak of heart. Or I should say it is very challenging for the waffling spirit.

There is a lot of pressure... but as they say... pressure makes diamonds.
If the Bible scares you, then you underestimate the great love that Jesus Christ has for you. You need a revelation of how much He loves you. He loves you so much that He gave Himself to die a criminal's death on the Cross and to have His Father turn His back on Him so that you would not have to bear the penalty for your sins. The perfect and righteous God died for you so you could be saved. That's how much He loves you. Allow that love of God to come through the pages of the Bible to you, and it will no longer scare you.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
A healthy dose of fear can help motivate selfish people to follow God rather than following their sinful nature. He uses our tribulations to inspire changes in ourselves that lead us to salvation. Fear is useful this way. I am definitely afraid of ignoring God's will and doing as I please. If God has blessed me with faith and given His son Jesus in sacrifice for my sins, I am compelled to give my will to the Lord in exchange for my salvation.

Not true. The Scripture says that it is the great love of God that draws us to Christ. God does not scare us into the kingdom, He consumes us with HIs love and this gives us the desire to put our trust in Christ who gave Himself for us on the Cross.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not true. The Scripture says that it is the great love of God that draws us to Christ. God does not scare us into the kingdom, He consumes us with HIs love and this gives us the desire to put our trust in Christ who gave Himself for us on the Cross.

Job 28:28.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟307,482.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Fearing God is to respect Him. For the other version it is man we must fear for any evil that comes is at our own hands. That is why God commands us to love our enemies, not just our own or ourselves. In doing good to all we can lessen their anger, hence our fears will be decreased.

Upvote 0