Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Over the weekend I was getting into the grown woman's guide to online dating. By Margot Starbuck.
IMG_20211108_181336.jpg
This is a must read for any women that are venturing into online dating in their 40s. Especially if you have been married before. There was so much in there that was hitting in areas that many books probably don't hit. I could relate. I also like that she integrates the word of God, Plus special areas for women like if you're overweight or a woman of color. All dating sites are not created with equally.

The profound thing is a conversation that she had with a guy during her Uber ride that had a PhD in psychology talking about attraction. One of the things said was that we are most attracted to the most difficult parent we had. Something like we're trying to resolve our past in that attraction. Another thing was familiarity, we usually end up dating people who are familiar from our past.
IMG_20211108_181439.jpg
I also felt sorry for the author and many of the experiences she went through. One of her friends met her husband on eHarmony, and when she told her she had started online dating, she said get ready to go on 300 dates. She was so discouraged because that was her first date and she said she had no plan to go on to go on 299 more. But I do think her friend is right, it's definitely been a process for me and little by little I think my choices have been getting healthier and healthier. But it does call for some healthy self-esteem to whether the ghosting, lack of response, crudeness and many other things that you deal with in online dating. At the same time there has been such joy in some of the men that have been gentlemen and given such kind words and encouragement.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
A Man at Arms by Steven Pressfield.
It is a story set in the decades after the Crucifixion of Jesus. A man calling himself Paul, who the Romans consider a religious fanatic, has dispatched a letter to the city of Corinth. The Roman authorities dispatch a man to hunt the courier of this letter and prevent its delivery. However, the man dispatched may become a convert to the new faith.

Upvote 0

November Rain

Nov 8, 2021
U.S.
✟2,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
A couple of books on chickens - one on flock management, the other on their history throughout the world. I've raised chickens for nearly fifteen years now, but I'm always open to others' tips and techniques. :) It's good to have differing perspectives.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess I owe a little overboard whenever I'm checking stuff out from the library. There's still stuff in the queue and on hold at the library for me. Really I need to be focusing on Advent and my study that I have.PXL_20211210_230244907.jpg

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Thinking more and more about my training plan for next year and nutrition will be part of it. Highly recommended by a co-worker and she's been bringing some of the recipes to test out on coworkers.
PXL_20211218_004830553.MP.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟839,546.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Simone Weil, Gravity and Grace. She was such an intensely genuine soul. I have a hard time reading this book, which is not the first time. It's just that she takes away so much illusion, for me.

On the Eucharist: "God did not make himself flesh for us once, every day he makes himself matter in order to give himself to man and to be consumed by him. Reciprocally, by fatigue, affliction and death, man is made matter and is consumed by God. How can we refuse this reciprocity?"

Well, when you put it that way, Simone, we can't. I swear, the notion of "dying to self" was no game with her. She lived it and died it.

Upvote 0

DragonFox91

Dec 20, 2020
Michigan
✟215,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I am almost done w/ Tim Tebow's book Shaken. It's about finding your identity during life's storms. Keeping things in perspective. Remembering God's first. He has plans & is in control. My favorite part of the book is when he shares motivational stories from either his life or lives of people he's met.
I read his first book a long time ago. That one was more his biography up thru college, this one is more a self-help book. My counselor recommended it to me.
I guess I owe a little overboard whenever I'm checking stuff out from the library. There's still stuff in the queue and on hold at the library for me. Really I need to be focusing on Advent and my study that I have.View attachment 309286
How long's it take you to tread all those :0

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Intrigued by the first few pages of this book. MODERN ETIQUETTE MADE EASY by Myja Meier

I so want to be in London and doing the things that the scale has been able to do of a finishing school. It also made me think about so many things I need to explore and figure out. I have a friend that does the kisses on the cheeks, but I have never gotten comfortable with that yet. There's so many opportunities that have been around me to practice better etiquette, and I pray that I can get better at this without having to fork over a bunch of money for schooling. I've been raised around all kinds of etiquette, but I think I've kind of bucked it. Ever since I was a child I didn't want to do all the things that the women did of the house .. maybe I was lazy or maybe I didn't want to be put into a box. Anyways I think this is another interesting read.
PXL_20211227_020019845.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Somber

꧁✿❁❀❁✿꧂
Oct 23, 2011
The Fairy Ring
✟101,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I've been reading Manga lately. Slice of Life comedies, fantasy adventures, typical action stuff-- I like it all.
Have you ever read any webtoons?

I had to look that up, very interesting. Are you enjoying it?
So far I am still in the introduction, but it is quite interesting. I decided I wanted to learn more about the history and mythology, since I noticed that the ancient Norse beliefs and mythology are becoming more popular and I know Finland has a different background, so I wanted to learn more about my Finnish roots. Unfortunately the Finnish people did not keep written records and instead passed on their stories through oral traditions and song, which much of was lost after colonization.

• Winner
Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Sif

Nov 11, 2015
Rocky Mountain Region
✟307,459.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private
The Kalevala

I really enjoy the stories of the Kalevala. Read somewhere that Väinämöinen may have given Tolkien some inspiration for the character of Gandalf. The Kalevala was a favorite of Tolkien's as well.

Upvote 0