• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

What are “temporary things”?

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by SingularityOne, Sep 19, 2021.

1. SingularityOne

SingularityOne Well-Known Member Supporter

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Soeaking of # 6:

What are things that the Orthodox Church considers “temporary things” not to get attached to?

How should one conceptualize relationships (friendships, spouses, children, etc.) in this mindset of “temporary things” not to get attached to?

upload_2021-9-19_0-58-27.jpeg

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. HTacianas

HTacianas Well-Known Member

+6,652
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    It usually means "things of the world". Houses, cars, money, things like that. Jesus said several times to people, "give up all that you have", meaning riches.

Mat 6:19 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal;

Mat 6:20 “but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Mat 6:21 “For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    anything that doesn't abide forever. this life is to prepare for eternity, so don't get attached to what won't make it

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Do relationships count in this? If not fully, what aspects of relationships are “temporary” and what aspects are not “temporary?”

Like obviously we aren’t to be attached to physical appearances, because those fade.. etc. but I’m wondering more what y’all think on this.

• List
  5. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    they endure eternally, but are transfigured in the age to come.

6. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Do you mind saying more on this? I don’t completely understand fully. Maybe I’m not meant to. But, I agree that the soul is eternal along with the body. But, there are certain things in relationships that fade, but certain things that are eternal... I’m trying to figure out that delineation if there is one.

7. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    the relationship between a husband and a wife continues into eternity. however, the fallen mode of reproduction (i.e. sex) does not.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    How about non-marital relationships (friends, ex-gf/bf, parental, etc.) do they continue into eternity as well? If so, which aspects do or don’t?
    Totally agree on the “sexual reproduction” aspect not being eternal.

9. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    they do, and that depends on the nature of the relationship

10. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    What do you mean by “it depends on the nature of the relationship?”

11. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    bishop to parishioner isn't the same as best friends

12. SeraphimSarov

SeraphimSarov Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...

+591
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Alright Father, indulge me if you would. What do you envision best friends to be in the world to come? Or is there such a thing? I suppose there's no way to know, but I'm curious what the Fathers have said about the nature of human relationships after we die.

13. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    we really don't know, only that it's transfigured and exponentially better over eternity

14. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    True, but I’m wondering what are the “things” that don’t change vs what we can be sure are eternal in our relationships?

15. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I dunno if there's a list. a lot of this is stuff we'll find out.

16. SeraphimSarov

SeraphimSarov Пресвятая Богородица, спаси нас...

+591
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Celibate
    Good enough for me!

17. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I totally agree. I know a lot is a mystery. But, for example. If one is venerating the image of God in the other in love and respect (relating to them with love and truth towards their salvation), then that is the proper orientation towards them. Sometimes that looks like healthy detachment from a person if one finds that is how they are to relate to that person unto their salvation, but sometimes that means that we are to be more dynamically involved in the other’s life. But, I know this looks different depending on the relationship and one’s closeness to Christ.

I guess what I’m getting to as well is if one misses and friend, ex, family member, etc. that is no longer present in their life, what is the proper orientation towards them so that one doesn’t fall into despair, anxiety, and the like so they can maintain a healthy detachment from them that is rooted in love?

18. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    you and me both!

19. ArmyMatt

+16,663
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    seek after Christ and trust that He is working out all things for the good of the friend you are no longer in contact with.

20. SingularityOne

+750
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Agreed, thanks father.