Were Jude and James written by the Lord's brothers?

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James... - Jude 1:1

Is not this the carpenter's son? is not his mother called Mary? and his brethren, James, and Joses, and Simon, and Judas? - Matthew 13:55

I am thinking the James and Judas in Matthew 13:55 refer to the actual half brothers of the Lord Jesus Christ, who went on to write the book of James and the book of Jude (sometimes knows as Judas Thaddaeus). Were the books Jude and James written by the Lord's brothers?

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Most scholars regard these two Epistles as pseudographic. James is dated to about AD 100 which makes it most unlikely that it could have been written by a brother. Jude depends upon James which makes it a bit later. In addition James was murdered in the Temple in the early 60s.

• Winner
Reactions: Papias
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Most scholars regard these two Epistles as pseudographic. James is dated to about AD 100 which makes it most unlikely that it could have been written by a brother. Jude depends upon James which makes it a bit later. In addition James was murdered in the Temple in the early 60s.

There are many James in that time. One of the James was the brother of John.

Upvote 0

-V-

Sep 16, 2016
USA
✟38,038.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
*SOME* date James to 100 AD. Some date it much earlier and also attribute it to James, brother of Jesus.
20. James: Introduction, Outline, and Argument

As for Jude, most scholars do NOT view it as pseudepigraphical.
26. Jude: Introduction, Argument, and Outline

Reactions: Eryk
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
James and Jude (aka Judas) were two of four of the brothers of Jesus. The title 'Son of David' is a royal title, the scepter of Israel would not pass from Judah:

"The scepter shall not depart from Judah, Nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, Until Shiloh comes, And to him shall be the obedience of the peoples. (Gen. 49:10)
So the king was always to be a descendant of Judah, Judah's older brothers got mad one time and killed everyone in this town, Jacob didn't think making their descendants kings was such a hot idea. The Davidic line known in Hebrew as Malkhut Beit David "Kingdom of the House of David” (Wikipedia), was Christ’s claim to the throne of David (Matt. 13:55; Mark 6:3). Speaking through the prophet Nathan God promised David a permanent dynasty:

Your house and your kingdom will stand before me permanently; your dynasty will be permanent. (2 Sam. 7:25)
When Pilate asked Jesus if he was the king he could have just explained all this to him, but he didn't. When his enemies called him a Nazarene and a Samaritan Jesus could have just showed them his pedigree as being from the House of David, he didn't do that either. But the church knew Jesus was from the House of David and rightful heir to the throne, James and Jude would have been seen as royalty as well, That why James presided over the Council of Jerusalem:

When they finished, James spoke up. “Brothers,” he said, “listen to me. (Acts 15:13)
Peter had already spoken, so why would they listen to James? He too was from the House of David and if Jesus was the true king, James would have been considered a leader based on the fact he was the next oldest son in that family.

Tradition has long held that Jude was one of the brothers of Jesus, which is most likely the case for a lot the same reasons Jude was regarded as a leader.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. - Galation 1:18-19

I imagine it was a treat for the Apostle Paul to have visited Peter and the Lord's brother James. I can imagine Paul had a lot of questions!

Reactions: -V-
Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But the church knew Jesus was from the House of David and rightful heir to the throne, James and Jude would have been seen as royalty as wel

Yes, and isn't all that very interesting. I had read this before, though it's been a while since I mediated on it.

You can also point to internal evidence. Both appear to honor the Book of Enoch (Jude 1:14-15, James 1:14-17. The latter here is an allusion to the seduction of women by the angels in Genesis 6:1-2, and the events surrounding it as described in Enoch). Enoch is the Book that frequently referred to Messiah as "the son of man," something Jesus identified Himself as frequently. I believe there is also a whole list of NT parallels with assorted other Enoch verses.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother. - Galation 1:18-19

I imagine it was a treat for the Apostle Paul to have visited Peter and the Lord's brother James. I can imagine Paul had a lot of questions!
Yea well, that was after Peter gets a pretty stinging rebuke, notice James is mentioned:

For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision. (James 2:12)
I'm speculating but it sounds like he meets James first and he tells Paul how the Gentile believers are being treated. So when he meets Paul he has some sharp words for him. Paul and Barnabas were just returning from the first missionary journey, telling everyone all about it. The Pharisees who had became Christians argued that circumcision was required for salvation, so the Jewish believers appear to have been withdrawing from them. Peter stands up and answers the Pharisees, James stands up and pronounces that a letter be sent to the Gentile churches with the elders and Apostles in agreement. Since Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles he was the one to write it. What settled the dispute is what's become known as justification by grace through faith.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rockytopva

Site Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,065,525.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Yea well, that was after Peter gets a pretty stinging rebuke, notice James is mentioned:

For prior to the coming of certain men from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he began to withdraw and hold himself aloof, fearing the party of the circumcision. (James 2:12)
I'm speculating but it sounds like he meets James first and he tells Paul how the Gentile believers are being treated. So when he meets Paul he has some sharp words for him. Paul and Barnabas were just returning from the first missionary journey, telling everyone all about it. The Pharisees who had became Christians argued that circumcision was required for salvation, so the Jewish believers appear to have been withdrawing from them. Peter stands up and answers the Pharisees, James stands up and pronounces that a letter be sent to the Gentile churches with the elders and Apostles in agreement. Since Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles he was the one to write it. What settled the dispute is what's become known as justification by grace through faith.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Paul also shows a great willingness to get out from the umbrella of the apostles...

Yea, so have I strived to preach the gospel, not where Christ was named, lest I should build upon another man's foundation: - Romans 15:20

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums