Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The very gift that the OP is saying we should not have - they Holy Spirit writes we need the gift for equipping and edifying. That would be a DIRECT contradiction to scripture.
I never said there is not the gift of pastor, there is. Read my first post. This is as lie or false charge towards me and it proves that you misunderstand what si wrote.
I am refering to the modern day one man pastor head over the whole church today, who is in charge of all its activities. He is in an exalted place s over all on a platform or altar with steps sometime a special chair.

He speaks and is in control of all the activities when the believers come into this man made buildings unbiblically called a church or temple or the house of Gid or holy sanctuary , the entire body is often quenched from following the leading of God and His commandments and from having Christ work effectually in them to the edifying of the body (Ephesians 4:16)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I never said there is not the gift of pastor, there is. Read my first post. This is as lie or false charge towards me and it proves that you misunderstand what si wrote.
I am refering to the modern day one man pastor head over the whole church today, who is in charge of all its activities. He is in an exalted place s over all on a platform or altar with steps sometime a special chair.

He speaks and is in control of all the activities when the believers come into this man made buildings unbiblically called a church or temple or the house of Gid or holy sanctuary , the entire body is often quenched from following the leading of God and His commandments and from having Christ work effectually in them to the edifying of the body (Ephesians 4:16)
I have heard you each and every time you have posted it. Every single time. Repeating it doesn’t make it correct.

Just like

Ignoring most of my post to point out one part of it doesn’t make it correct.

Ignoring the part of the definition I quoted doesn’t make it correct.

Saying something did not exist, when it is very plainly there doesn’t make it correct.

I think you are genuine in your beliefs, just mistaken.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have heard you each and every time you have posted it. Every single time. Repeating it doesn’t make it correct.
what?

You said

The very gift that the OP is saying we should not have - they Holy Spirit writes we need the gift for equipping and edifying. That would be a DIRECT contradiction to scripture." so I responded by saying that is not true I so speak of the pastor gift often, but I also speak of the modern pastor role today that we see over all, and expose this as not functioning right and hindering the bdoy ministry and Christ participation or communion among the believers.

I did say this on my first post,

"Though there are blessed pastor giftings in the body of Christ, (just as there are apostles, prophets, evangelist and teachers), the modern role of the exalted “Pastor” over all does not exist biblically and is a dangerous distortion spiritually to the church. Many of those in this unbiblical role may be true believers and loving men with sincerity and have many good qualities, Others may be seeking their own glory and reputation. But either way they are still in error in this exalted role and they still hinder the body from functioning in Christ."
Ignoring most of my post to point out one part of it doesn’t make it correct.
I try to answer many post it takes time and some things I have already addressed but what post do you speak of specifically.?
Ignoring the part of the definition I quoted doesn’t make it correct.

Saying something did not exist, when it is very plainly there doesn’t make it correct.
I will address that error and misleading implication in a moment
I think you are genuine in your beliefs, just mistaken.
Well, I am genuine and speak the truth. So far you have not corrected what I have said in even one area, It is possible that I could have said one thing that might need correcting, but you haven't done so yet.

I eagerly wait for such things and examine all I say.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
So far you have not corrected what I have said in even one area,
I have corrected you several times.

Taking verses out of context

Using only partial definitions of the Greek

Incorrectly labeling an established as fact church building as a house.

So, yes I have corrected the errors in three areas, not just one.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The Church is comprised of BOTH home cell groups and corporate gatherings in buildings and has been so since the book of Acts.
The church is never ever referred to as a man made building of brick and mortar that Jesus is building. The many many people that have referred to it as such are in error.

In scripture we see such clear correction to this we read of,

“Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.”(Colossians 4:15)

I really only need that one verse.

Obviously the word "church" meaning "a called out assembly", in this case means the people of God . The assembly meets in the house. So the house is not called the church or any building they may meet in either.

Jesus used a word taken from the Greeks "ekklēsia". The Greek ecclesia is not what Jesus is building. Jesus said he would build His church. This is similar to the word "temple" the word temple is taken from the pagan word and yet Jesus calls his body the the temple, and in the New testament all believers are the temple of God. If we take the Greek word to literally we are a pagan temple. But no this is not what is meant.
The Greek ekklēsia is used a number of ways.

The part that has NOT been mentioned is Strongs reference:

ἐκκλησία, ἐκκλεσιας, ἡ (from ἔκκλητος called out or forth, and this from ἐκκαλέω); properly, a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place; an assembly; so used
1. among the Greeks from Thucydides (cf. Herodotus 3, 142) down, an assembly of the people convened at the public place of council for the purpose of deliberating: Acts 19:39.​

We see clearly that Jesus is not building the Greek ekklēsia, even though he used the Greek word "ekklēsia"

t
he meaning is this

"from a compound of 1537 and a derivative of 2564; a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):--assembly"

but even if we use your definition "a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place; an assembly; so used"
the place the believers gathered in was a house. as we already saw,

"the church which is in his house.”(Colossians 4:15).

The community would know whose house the gatherings were in. But the most important part is that the word use in Colossians 4 for "church" is "ekklēsia". Showing clearly that the assembly of believers is meant.

The scriptures define how Jesus used the word "church". Clearly he always referred to the church as his body the believers. Yet why do so many drive by a man made building of brick and mortar where no people are in at the time they drive by and say "there is my church?". This error is often often spouted by many pastors as well. They will often say well meet at the church tomorrow or we are cleaning the church Saturday, or the church needs a new paint job etc. All this displaces the true church and the function of the true church and creates an error that seeps into the entire function of the gatherings/
Additional:

Acts 15:22 Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas; namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren:​

This did not happen in a home church - it was the church - the center of activity where the presiding apostles and elders were.
Are you trying to say, (as it seems here) that the word "church"refers to a church as "the center of activity where the presiding apostles and elders were."? This would be very wrong to say so. I already mentioned in another post that if believers can meet in a home that is the best wisest guidance for a body to function and have a meal, but if they can have mutual edification and face each other and body ministry with a meal in a larger place where the function can happen and God's order is free, then that can also be good. But the verses you bring don't give all the info you are implying. You are desperately trying to justify the large castle like structures of today where all face forward and see the back of each others heads to the one man pastor or priest on a altar with steps leading up to it. This is wrong and unbiblical. We see no such thing in the order of God in the New testament.

You sait

"it was the church - the center of activity where the presiding apostles and elders were."

No "it" was not the church. I marvel at how simple this is and yet some miss it. I have had disagreements before with some in person who tried hard to prove that their man made religious temple was the church. I marvel.

also you say that the church in the gathering in Acts 15 was a large building as you call the churhc.

But in Acts 15 we see that

"they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question...And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them."

The believers in Jerusalem did meet in homes as we see in Acts 2 from house to house and they also met in the temple. The temple meaning Solomon's porch as scripture speaks of. We don;t have evidence that they met in Solomon's Porch. But if they did this was a large area attached to the Temple where they would do miracles and evangelize and talk of Jesus. This was not for the meal together and mutual edification. The Jewish believers were still attached to the temple, and they did animal sacrifices and kept the law zealously at this time and so to try and use the temple or Solomon's Porch as a example for all believers to follow is not right. But we don't know where they met exactly. So your argument is from silence. We do know that wen Paul went again to Jerusalem in Acts 21 we read,

"And the day following Paul went in with us unto James; and all the elders were present."(Acts 21:18)

It says they went in unto James. Does that mean they went to James house? Either way if they met in a larger court of a large house or at Solomon's Porch, we don't have evidence. Some can meet for matters in a larger area at times. But this is not the regular mutual edification of one another with a meal and ministry.

It is interesting to note that in Acts 15, we see all are free to minister not just one man over all called "the pastor" or "president" etc. We see Paul James, Peter, certain believing pharisees, Barnabas, and many elders, all speaking.Not just one man over all.

I have visited other home meetings where they came together to discuss matters, this was for a certain reason to help the other meetings as well to understand better things. If a home meting has an issue which is difficult to understand or come to peace about. They can meet with other homes to discuss this.

we also read

"we came to Ptolemais, and saluted the brethren, and abode with them one day. 8 And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea: and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist, which was one of the seven; and abode with him. 9 And the same man had four daughters, virgins, which did prophesy. 10 And as we tarried there many days,.."*Acts 21:7-10)

Here we see that Paul went to stay with the brethren in one place, no doubt a home, and then he went to another home gatherings where there was a meeting and we see daughters prophesying . Prophecy is part of the body ministry to edify the church.

"...but he that prophesieth edifieth the church."(1 Co.r 14:4)

This was the norm for them all over.
The church (singular) at Ephesus and Corinth met in large building - not private homes. It is evidenced both in scripture and in archeology. The historicity of these buildings is proven and not disputed.
You have proven nothing and not given the exact dates. I have researched some of the wealthy homes in Corinth were very large and some had large court areas and big spaces. You are assuming the church of those days was like todays 15 thousand people in an arena. No I don't see that in scripture of history. Show your evidence and dates and writings about the man made buildings you speak of.
I have been in the Church at Corinth. For it not to be the building called the church hundreds of years of archaeology and scientific proof - including some of the inscriptions on the building itself would have to be false.
What? Again you make such a error by calling a man made building "the church". Unbelievable, You are the one who is speaking in error here.

and show your proof of such and exact dates and writings about this. Either way the church is the body of Christ and if they are free to edify each other and face one another having a meal and ministry to "one another" as commanded in scripture, then the place is not the main issue. But they should and not be hindered by a one man over all called the pastor. If he controls all things and all activities and they are not free to be led by the Spirit.

for you to say again,

"I have been in the Church at Corinth"

This is great error. The church Jesus is building is made up of the people of God He is the head and we are the body,*Ephesians 4:15,16, Colossians 2:9) He is also building His church with living Stones as scripture shows.

“Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:” (Colossians 1:24)

"Ye also, as
lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, ..." (1 Peter 2:5)

"...ye are God's husbandry,
ye are God's building." ( 1 Cor. 3:9)

“But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou
oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.” ( 1 Timithy 3:15)

So obviously when Paul speaks to the Ephesians he would never call a man made building "the church". As you do unfortunately.
Should we have pastors who get treated like kings? Absolutely not.
Yet soo many are today, even if some are the most humble men and have good fruits, in their exalted position over all they are in danger and should beware of the temptation of the Devil.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eph 4:11 And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ,

Did you catch that? What are Apostles, prophets, evangelist pastor and teacher given for? The very gift that the OP is saying we should not have - they Holy Spirit writes we need the gift for equipping and edifying. That would be a DIRECT contradiction to scripture.
I never said these were not all needed, including the pastor gift.

The error is that the one man over all today in the pastor gift dominates and quenches the spirit in others from free body ministry in Christ as Christ effectually seeks to work in the measure of every part to make increase of the body unto the edification of itself in love. These are Christ commands to the church as Paul showed in 1 Cor 14, 12, and other places.

But you for got the rest of that part of scripture and the context. Paul doesn't just speak of the five fold ministry he speaks of the entire body edifying each other as they are led in Ephesians 4:16)

Also a pastor does figuratively the word of a shepherd, and in some sense all elders even if they are apostles etc do similar work, but the body also needs teachers to teach and prophets to speak God's truth and mind and evangelist. The false stress on one gift is wrong. And strangely the word pastors in plural is only found here in all the New testament yet to day he is over all.

Once again, IMHO - to follow the OP I would also have to completely ignore Appollos, Pliney, Trajan, Origen, Josephus and a whole host of first centruy writers who were pastors of churches (physical buildings) I would have to capitulate that the OP had more knowledge than they did.
I do not put any man above that which is written and Jesus said to call no man father. Around the time of Paul we already see some going away from God's order. There are many scriptures about these men. I do not judge such men in their faith or witness. But we do see many errors brought in especially around the time before Constantine and after. You seem to put such men above the scriptures.

"of churches (physical buildings) "

Again, you show such error by calling a physical building the church. This is the mindset that hinders the true church from functioning and edifying one another when gathered. If the church meets in their house how is the church a man made building meeting in their house?

"the church which is in his house.”(Colossians 4:15).

Jesus said

"..tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican.”"( Matthew 18"17)

Are believers supposed to talk to a building? and listen for a man made building to speak to us? you confound yourself and let all who read on see these things and understand.
I'm not willing to do so.
I trust in God and His word, not men who came much later than the scriptural writings. I have learned not to put men above that which is written.

"...that ye might learn in us not to think of men above that which is written, that no one of you be puffed up for one against another." (1 Corinthians 4:6)

But the most strange and false thing you said is this

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have corrected you several times.

Taking verses out of context

Incorrectly labeling an established as fact church building as a house.

So, yes I have corrected the errors in three areas, not just one.
no I showed the true meaning and from the Greek. Some Greek words have many many meanings and used in certain ways in the text. You misunderstand this.
And its hard to listen to your attempt to correct me when you say

and you did it here again, you said

"as fact church building"

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The church (singular) at Ephesus and Corinth met in large building - not private homes.
the church at Corinth had a full meal together, consider this.and they all had mutual edification and ministry and we read of no one man pastor or priest over them and all were commanded to minister to each other (1 Corinthians 14:26-38).

A house in Corinth could be renovated to make room for the body and some were wealthy believers as some History suggest.

and bring your historical evidence, and show us al;l that a man made building of brick and mortar is the church Christ is building. That is false the church is the body of Christ a called out assembly of believers.

if it wasn't so serious a talk it would almost be laughable to say a man made building is the church.

When Paul writes to the church at Ephesus or Corinth etc he is speaking to the believers, not a building of man.

as scripture clearly shows to the unbiased reader and those who have some spiritual eyes at all.

"Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:" ( 2 Cor 14:2)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When Paul writes to the church at Ephesus or Corinth etc he is speaking to the believers, not a building of man.

as scripture clearly shows to the unbiased reader and those who have some spiritual eyes at all.
You are correct the Church is absolutely people. They met in buildings called churches. Some home churches some buildings designed to hold larger groups. Like the building at Ephesus called a church.

What is the difference between a group of believers meeting in a small building called a home church, or a larger building called a church. They are both buildings called churches.

Matt 23:24

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
21 According to B. Metzger this phrase ... (Greek word that didn't copy here) "which is common enough in classical Greek and the Septuagint, acquired a quasi-technical meaning in the early church. This meaning, which is required in Acts 1:15; 2:1, 3:1, 47; 1 Cor 11:20; 14:23, signifies the union of the Christian body, and perhaps could be rendered 'in church fellowship'" (A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament [London: United Bible Societies, 1971] 305). This rendering is supported by M. Wilcox (The Semitisms of Acts [Oxford: Clarendon, 1965] 95); however, Wilcox seems to allow that it may mean "in church" (94,98). In his opinion, the expression is a Hebraism and may carry with it the idea of (joining/belonging to) the community/congregation, similar to the Qumran ...(Greek that didn't copy here) cf. M. Black, An Aramaic Approach to the Gospels and Acts (3d ed.; Oxford: Clarendon, 1967) 10-11 and E. Ferguson, "When You Come Together: ...(Greek word that didn't copy here) in Early Christian Literature," Restoration Quarterly 16 (1973) 202-8. 22 The construction... this phrase denotes a gathering in the confines of a private house. The construction ...(Greek that didn't copy here) occurs four times in the NT: 1 Cor 16:19; Rom 16:5; Phlm 2; Col 4:15. Like the phrase ... this phrase denotes a gathering in the confines of a private house . . The construction...depicts the gathering of the believers in one house. At Corinth, Gaius was one such host (Rom 16:23)."

"Gaius mine host, and of the whole church, saluteth you. Erastus the chamberlain of the city saluteth you, and Quartus a brother." (Romans 16:23).

So some believers had big enough homes to host the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are correct the Church is absolutely people.
yet you said and still say the church is a man made building ??? total confusion. God does not cause confusion 1 Cor 14.
They met in buildings called churches. Some home churches some buildings designed to hold larger groups. Like the building at Ephesus called a church.

? you contradict yourself

show me one scripture of the church that Chris is building that is referring to a man made building . You won't be able to. So you simply spout off the traditions of men that are in error. I stick with scripture over any who contradict it later.

and show me your proof again, history m dates etc.
it is historically understood that Priscilla and Aquila remained in Ephesus and let their home be used for the church to meet in (1 Corinthians 16:19).

Interestingly when they were in Ephesus they had a church meet in their home and when they went to Rome, they also had the church meet in their home. This was the apostolic pattern from God (Rom. 16:3-5).
What is the difference between a group of believers meeting in a small building called a home church, or a larger building called a church. They are both buildings called churches.
no they are not, show one scripture , even one where the church Jesus is building is referred to as a man made building called the church.

You , like many today are so influenced by the traditions of men for centuries unbiblically calling man made buildings the church that you cannot let go of that and speak correctly. It would mean that you must look at those who have spoken to you and those in history as in error and you cant do that, even if it is true what I say according to scripture and the Greek.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
In his opinion,
There is the key.
opinion is not established fact.

no one, ZERO. Not one archaeologist or study has ever said the ruins at the church at Ephesus or Corinth were homes.
ill stay with historical fact over someone’s opinion.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The only one confused is you.
still waiting for one verse even one that shows the church is a man made building that Christ is building.

without this you teach confusion and the traditions of men that make the word of God of no effect.

I'm sure many in this forum would agree with me and not with you that the church is a assembly of believers, people, and not a man made building, regardless of what some may have said later on.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
There is the key.
opinion is not established fact.

no one, ZERO. Not one archaeologist or study has ever said the ruins at the church at Ephesus or Corinth were homes.
ill stay with historical fact over someone’s opinion.
show me one historian and exact dates for what you say, show me the language and words of such. The Historians that I read almost all understand that the early church changed the world and they met primarily in the homes of believers.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
no one, ZERO. Not one archaeologist or study
Its interesting and sad how I quote scripture and some Greek etc and you trust in things and men outside the scripture.

still waiting for one verse to prove your case. if they speak not according to the word I question any and doubt the statements.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Some home churches some buildings designed to hold larger groups. Like the building at Ephesus called a church.
no no building is a church, the church is made of living stones a spiritual house, the house of God His building the Temple of God where he dwells in. They are also called the body of Christ.

But remember that after the apostles had shown God's order for the churches and the doctrines, some came in very soon after, false apostles those who deceived men. It is possible that some of them went on in Ephesus and established things not in God's order and doctrine.

We read a hint of this here,

"Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write; These things saith he that holdeth the seven stars in his right hand, who walketh in the midst of the seven golden candlesticks;2 I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:" (Revelation 2:1,2)

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"8 And there were many lights in the upper chamber, where they were gathered together. 9 And there sat in a window a certain young man named Eutychus, being fallen into a deep sleep: and as Paul was long preaching, he sunk down with sleep, and fell down from the third loft, and was taken up dead."(Acts 20:9)

here we see again this house had three floors, a larger one. A home or apartment type homes

Last edited:
Upvote 0