New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
still waiting for one verse even one that shows the church is a man made building that Christ is building.

This bit of terminology seems to be very important to you.

In English, the word "church" is used to mean at least four different things:
1) An individual congregation
2) A larger group of congregations, held together with an organizational structure: "The Church of England", "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America", "The Church of South India".
3) The collection of all Christians worldwide.
4) A dedicated building in which Christians gather to worship.

There's no point denying that any of these four exist. They exist, regardless of what we call them. But I gather that you don't like using the same English word to refer to all four.

Would you be satisfied if four different words were used? Perhaps, "congregation" for #1, "denomination" for #2, "Universal Church" for #3, and "church building" for #4?

Reactions: hislegacy
Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This bit of terminology seems to be very important to you.

In English, the word "church" is used to mean at least four different things:
1) An individual congregation
2) A larger group of congregations, held together with an organizational structure: "The Church of England", "The Evangelical Lutheran Church in America", "The Church of South India".
3) The collection of all Christians worldwide.
4) A dedicated building in which Christians gather to worship.

There's no point denying that any of these four exist. They exist, regardless of what we call them. But I gather that you don't like using the same English word to refer to all four.

Would you be satisfied if four different words were used? Perhaps, "congregation" for #1, "denomination" for #2, "Universal Church" for #3, and "church building" for #4?
I simply stick with the biblical church and the word in scripture for the church that Christ is building. If it is not according to scripture and makes the word of God if no effect then we should reject it and not go beyond that which is written.

The church Jesus is building is NEVER referred to as a man made building. I’m sure many theologians and believers would agree.

The word in Greek as used by Jesus, Paul, Peter and others is a called out assembly of people

There is no other meaning in scripture for the church Christ is building.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I simply stick with the biblical church and the word in scripture for the church that Christ is building. If it is not according to scripture and makes the word of God if no effect then we should reject it and not go beyond that which is written.

The church Jesus is building is NEVER referred to as a man made building. I’m sure many theologians and believers would agree.

The word in Greek as used by Jesus, Paul, Peter and others is a called out assembly of people

There is no other meaning in scripture for the church Christ is building.

Okay, so we can use the Greek word εκκλησία instead of the English word church, since the English language postdates the first century AD.

When you say εκκλησία, do you mean an individual congregation (#1 in my list), or an organized group of congregations (#2 in my list), or the collection of all Christians who have ever lived (#3 in my list)?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Okay, so we can use the Greek word εκκλησία instead of the English word church, since the English language postdates the first century AD.

When you say εκκλησία, do you mean an individual congregation (#1 in my list), or an organized group of congregations (#2 in my list), or the collection of all Christians who have ever lived (#3 in my list)?
1 Corinthians 12: 12., 13,14 “For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. 13For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. 14. For the body is not one member, but many.”

Romans 12: 5. “So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another.”

Ephesians 1: 22. And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, 23. Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.”

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
1 Corinthians 12: 12., 13,14

I have a Bible. I'm trying to figure out how YOU are using the words. From the verses you've quoted, I'll guess that you use the word εκκλησία for meaning #3 in my list, namely, the collection of all Christians who have ever lived.

Do you have any word that you use to describe the congregation that gathers in your house?

I understand that you disapprove of any building in which Christians worship that is not a private residence. Still, some congregations do not have any members who are wealthy enough to own houses in which there is room for dozens of people to gather. Thus, larger, communally-owned buildings do exist, in which Christians gather and worship. Would you be willing to use the term "Meeting House" to describe these communally-owned buildings? (This is the terminology used by the Religious Society of Friends and some other Christian groups.)

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have a Bible. I'm trying to figure out how YOU are using the words.
I'm using the words the way believers use them in the scriptures.
From the verses you've quoted, I'll guess that you use the word εκκλησία for meaning #3 in my list, namely, the collection of all Christians who have ever lived.
i use the word Church, as in Greek, but as used by Jesus in his teaching of what the church is and Paul and Peter etc. If you look up the word church in Greek, you will find a general meaning of a called out assembly.

"ἐκκλησία ekklēsía, ek-klay-see'-ah; from a compound of G1537 and a derivative of G2564; a calling out, i.e. (concretely) a popular meeting, especially a religious congregation (Jewish synagogue, or Christian community of members on earth or saints in heaven or both):—assembly, church." *Strongs)

You will not find the unbelieving Greek people of Paul's time understanding the body of Christ or the house of God made of living stones . But thats how the scripture define the church that Jesus is building. If you were to ask a Greek in those days "is the church "ekklēsía" the body of Christ?" they wouldn't know what you were talking about and say no. But according to scripture the church is the body of Christ. The same can be said for the word "temple", it has pagan origins and does not mean the body of believers as the temple of God. That is how it is used by Jesus Christ in scripture. Jesus also refers to the temple of His body. The word Temple however in Greek has pagan origins. So Jesus uses words that are redefined in a spiritual sense referring to the body of Christ. If you stick with the literal Greek word from that time no one would define the church as the body of Christ. But the called out assembly of believers called out of the dark world and into Christ and His kingdom will use it that way.

Does that help?
Do you have any word that you use to describe the congregation that gathers in your house?
"... the church which is in his house.” ( Colossians 4:15) Same Greek word "ekklēsía"

and this "ekklēsía", is the body of Christ (though not in the Greek definition, but as we see spiritually interpreted by the Spirit of God through Paul who wrote scripture.)

"And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to thechurch, 23 Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all." ( Ephesians 1:22,23)
I understand that you disapprove of any building in which Christians worship that is not a private residence.
No I didn't say that. I object to calling a man made building a church, which fights against the true church and function of the church. i also object to a large castle-like structure unbiblically called a church", where there is one man at the front exalted above all and where all are (by the very structure of these places) forced to look at the back of someones head and where no body ministry can happen or edifying one another in Christ because of the Lecture type format and the man made By-Laws that don't allow freedom. And I object to these things according to scripture and the commandments of the Lord. What I am sharing about body ministry is the commandments of the Lord for the church.

Yes, there is the church as the whole body of Christ and there is also churches, referring to the church in different areas and there is the church which meets in their homes referring to that particular part of the church.
Still, some congregations do not have any members who are wealthy enough to own houses in which there is room for dozens of people to gather.
I never said all have to have the same ;Large homes. Believers can meet in many different size homes and places as long as body ministry in edification in Christ can happen and they can see each other and have a meal together with all gifts and ministries allowed to happen as Christ participates with them. I also believe I mentioned these things already and I even said two or more in a prison cell can gather in Christ.
Thus, larger, communally-owned buildings do exist, in which Christians gather and worship.
if they are too big for mutual edification or if there is seating facing the front on a altar with steps where the one man over all is exalted above all, then they are not good for the function of the church. At best they can be used for evangelism etc.
Would you be willing to use the term "Meeting House" to describe these communally-owned buildings? (This is the terminology used by the Religious Society of Friends and some other Christian groups.)
No, I don;t need to use such terms. Although the term is not the issue. Unless you call a man made building a church. The church meets in the house is fine. For example we might say the church meets at Johns home .

I am also not speaking of "communally-owned buildings". When you say "communally" are you speaking of believers all living in one place?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I am also not speaking of "communally-owned buildings". When you say "communally" are you speaking of believers all living in one place?

No, I'm speaking of buildings that are owned by a congregation, but which are not owned by any single family in the congregation. For example: My congregation has about 50 people in attendance on any given Sunday. That's too many people to meet in any one person's home, so we meet in a building owned by the congregation as a whole. We each contribute financially to the maintenance of the building, and those contributions pay for heating, electricity, and so forth. Some building upkeep is done by volunteer members of the congregation, because we see it as a building that belongs to all of us.

The nearby Quaker congregation has a similar collectively-owned building, and they call theirs a Meeting House. I'm comfortable with the "Meeting House" terminology, if you'd prefer that. But it does seem useful to have some term to refer to the building.

Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟216,988.00
Faith
Non-Denom
The nearby Quaker congregation has a similar collectively-owned building, and they call theirs a Meeting House. I'm comfortable with the "Meeting House" terminology, if you'd prefer that. But it does seem useful to have some term to refer to the building.
Do you really even have to bother with trying to come up with a new term? So when someone asks, "Where is your church" do you really feel it's necessary to confuse them by saying, "No, no, no I'm really not going to tell you where our church is for we don't call it that! We call it the Meeting House!"

Couldn't all this be rather counterproductive? One spouse could say to another in private, "I don't know. They seem a little nutty! I asked a simple question where their church was and they give me some strange wield lecture." Why not just say YES tell them where the church is and deal with semantics after they grow spiritually down the road. It all just seems like an overload of information they don't need at a beginning time. .

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,389.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you really even have to bother with trying to come up with a new term? So when someone asks, "Where is your church" do you really feel it's necessary to confuse them by saying, "No, no, no I'm really not going to tell you where our church is for we don't call it that! We call it the Meeting House!"

Couldn't all this be rather counterproductive? One spouse could say to another in private, "I don't know. They seem a little nutty! I asked a simple question where their church was and they give me some strange wield lecture." Why not just say YES tell them where the church is and deal with semantics after they grow spiritually down the road. It all just seems like an overload of information they don't need at a beginning time. .
Well, it’s kind of like when sone come into the home meetings in Jesus day they might have said, “where is the priest or should we go to the temple etc.?”. Or in modern days today if sone come into home meetings they might wonder where is the building or the pastor. It takes time to adjust to truth when people have been so part of a system or brainwashed for a long time.

Can you imagine how other religions would have adjusted to now coming into Christian gatherings? Or how the Jews must have struggled knowing that thier whole religious understanding was to change? That the temple was no more needed or sacrifices etc.?

But truth is what we must follow and speak in love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,326.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Do you really even have to bother with trying to come up with a new term?

For purposes of this conversation, yes. LoveofTruth and I clearly have deep disagreement about some important things. Additionally, we use some theological vocabulary differently. If we can take a few minutes to settle on mutually acceptable vocabulary, then we can get past that barrier and talk about actual concepts. I want to understand LoveofTruth's point of view better, hence this conversation; he and I probably have some points of agreement, despite our disagreement.

So when someone asks, "Where is your church" do you really feel it's necessary to confuse them by saying, "No, no, no I'm really not going to tell you where our church is for we don't call it that! We call it the Meeting House!"

I'm comfortable switching vocabulary as I talk about different Christian traditions. "I go to St. Mark's Episcopal Church, on Elm Street, and our priest is Mother Johnson. First Baptist Church is over on Maple Street, and their pastor is Mr. Smith. The Mullica Hill Friends Meeting is on Main Street; they don't have clergy, but any of their members would be happy to talk with you."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums