Was it PRIDE and mocking the enemy that made Elijah vulnerable to fear?

Was PRIDE and mocking the enemy what made Elijah vulnerable to FEAR?

• NO

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • YES

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • That is a good theory that I shall research and pray about!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Woke

Site Supporter
Oct 8, 2019
California
✟38,620.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
THis is truth. But most people do not go by Biblical Standard. Tickled ears is more in vogue it seems.

As to the rest, when we know Scripture, and go along with Scripture, we agree.
The references you put in the post might all be good and right and perfect, but they don't render on my screen (nor on some other people's using a cell phone) ...
so could you (and everyone else) print out the references when they are used, unless they are already fully printed out in a post nearby or the op/ clearly ?

Isaiah 55:10 For as the rain cometh down and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, and giveth seed to the sower and bread to the eater; 11 so shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

Isaiah 46:
9For I am God, and there is no other;
I am God, and there is no one like Me,

10Declaring the end from the beginning,
And from ancient times things which have not been done,
Saying, ‘My purpose will be established,
And I will accomplish all My good pleasure’;

Genesis 3:15 "and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed: he shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel."

Romans 11:25 For I would not, brethren, have you ignorant of this mystery, lest ye be wise in your own conceits, that a hardening in part hath befallen Israel, until the fulness of the Gentiles be come in; 26 and so all Israel shall be saved: even as it is written, There shall come out of Zion the Deliverer; He shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob: 27 And this is my covenant unto them, When I shall take away their sins.

28 As touching the gospel, they are enemies for your sake: but as touching the election, they are beloved for the fathers' sake.

29 For the gifts and the calling of God are not repented of.

30 For as ye in time past were disobedient to God, but now have obtained mercy by their disobedience, 31 even so have these also now been disobedient, that by the mercy shown to you they also may now obtain mercy.

32 For God hath shut up all unto disobedience, that he might have mercy upon all.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Obviously Queen Jezebel and her loyal followers killing the vast majority of Elijah's friends the sons of the prophets would make him angry. The only seven thousand who were left were in hiding and even Elijah himself did not know about them until God told him.

Being angry can cause any human to react with some pride.

The phrase "subject to like passions as we are" does not mean exclusively positive emotions but negative ones as well..... but these human frailties did not stop Elijah from having great faith.

James 5:17
"Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months."
That is a MASSIVE leap you are making to find fault in a man of God. Plus it still makes little sense. If the passion Elijah gave into was anger at the killing of his friends. Then the passion that lead to his issues would be anger, not pride. You're trying to find something that just isn't there.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
You're trying to find something that just isn't there.
He has listed several of the false teachers he listened to, and one or two or more 'good' (possibly) teachers with some teachings not being used correctly in the forum/threads.
i.e. he does not have to try to find something - others have conveniently GIVEN things to him that tickle his ears (he explained the change was some years ago, when "I think" , he was still trusting Jesus and Scripture, then he for whatever reason apparently got tricked/ turned away from Scripture to the many different things that tickled his ears that he has continually and repeatedly posted about for a long time (observed) ....

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
He knew the potential harm that could come upon him from acting in his own strength and stepping beyond appointed spiritual exploits.

From Exodus 23
29 I will not drive them out before you in a single year; otherwise the land would become desolate and wild animals would multiply against you. 30 Little by little I will drive them out ahead of you, until you become fruitful and possess the land. 31 And I will establish your borders from the Red Sea to the Sea of the Philistines, and from the desert to the Euphrates. For I will deliver the inhabitants into your hand, and you will drive them out before you.…

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I just want to expand on my response...

Old Covenant Prophets were not baptised in the Spirit as this only came as a permanent anointing after Jesus came - This was the sign John the Baptist was given in order to correctly identify the messiah.

Previous to that the anointing would come upon and not remain upon the individual. This is explained in John 1 below...

32 John testified saying, “I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him. 33 “I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me, ‘He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit.’ 34 “I myself have seen, and have testified that this is the Son of God.”

So Elijah was very vulnerable because the power for His ministry would only come when the Spirit was present upon him.

Any confrontation He had with Jezebel would result in him becoming 'mince meat' unless the power from God came...

It is not surprising then that he was in the cave as he had no guarantee that the anointing would come.

In this sense he would not have been in pride. Trepidation would have been more likely.

Sadly many today who assume because they are Baptised in the Spirit, they can turn on the gifts at will.

While the anointing is permanent, one must still wait for the will of the Spirit. Like Jesus we can only do what we see the Father doing. In this there is absolutely no place for pride.

This is not commonly taught and this has led to a lot of presumption and false 'ministry' in the church today.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He has listed several of the false teachers he listened to, and one or two or more 'good' (possibly) teachers with some teachings not being used correctly in the forum/threads.
i.e. he does not have to try to find something - others have conveniently GIVEN things to him that tickle his ears (he explained the change was some years ago, when "I think" , he was still trusting Jesus and Scripture, then he for whatever reason apparently got tricked/ turned away from Scripture to the many different things that tickled his ears that he has continually and repeatedly posted about for a long time (observed) ....
Yeah, you're probably right. I just don't see the perceived value in bashing Elijah in this way, or as you put it, what is ear tickling about it. Clearly pride is not a good thing, but there are many better, and clearer examples in the Word that could be used without forcing it into this scripture.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟825,826.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Elijah is very human and it happens to many. After many years which resulted in a great achievement/victory there is a huge let down (people can easily go into depression).
Elijah example is used in even secular psychology and God's response to it is what good psychologists use (eating, sleeping, getting with people and so on).
Elijah is not feeling pride, but is very venerable to loneliness and worthlessness (he has accomplished the goal, but it did not end the conflict, so now what?).

Upvote 0

SoldierOfTheKing

Christian Spenglerian
Jan 6, 2006
Kenmore, WA
✟278,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Pride is definitely not good and opens the door to the enemy, but I don't think that was a factor here.

The Enemy is indeed prideful, and a prideful spirit can endure intellectual assaults - but not being made fun of. Nothing cuts down pride more surely than mockery.

• Useful
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Pastor Mark Brisebois puts forward what I think is a brilliant theory on how Elijah became so vulnerable to the threat by Queen Jezebel..........
even after an astonishing victory!

Forget theories. What does the Bible say? Does it point to Elijah's pride as the reason for his vulnerability to Jezebel's threat? No.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Forget theories. What does the Bible say? Does it point to Elijah's pride as the reason for his vulnerability to Jezebel's threat? No.

Pride is word and is subject to definition........
each of us will tend to define pride somewhat differently.............

.... why did the Apostle Paul have such difficulty getting along even with Barnabas?

Did he have almost zero pride??????

I don't think that Paul would tell you that if and when you might get to speak with him in heaven........

there is a truly insightful writing out there on that by the way beginning at the 3:53:54 mark in this video.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Jezebel was a scary woman heading up a religion that involved child sacrifice, ritual prostitution, homosexuality and inappropriate behavior with animals.

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
The Enemy is indeed prideful, and a prideful spirit can endure intellectual assaults - but not being made fun of. Nothing cuts down pride more surely than mockery.

I personally am full of pride and I was shown this at a whole new level over these past two years especially!!!

2018 outpouring, are you feeling it? I am!

At my wife's Pentecostal church this Sunday.... .which was also Pentecost......
a "Fire Tunnel" / blessing tunnel was done.......... and the outpouring was amazing......

I haven't seen anything even remotely like it in about a decade.

Day before yesterday, Monday, was even more powerful in many ways and all I could do for more than one hour........was go for walks and pray...... I am beginning this discussion because I believe that some of you will feel this and i think I know how to assist you to go through this.......... in the easiest way possible.

The key to making this as easy as possible ..... is HUMILITY!

Isaiah 2:11

"The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
For the day of the LORD of hosts shall be upon every one that is proud and lofty, and upon every one that is lifted up; and he shall be brought low:"

Isaiah 2:17

"And the loftiness of man shall be bowed down, and the haughtiness of men shall be made low: and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
And the idols he shall utterly abolish.
And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth."

I have been feeling tremendous conviction over my own pride.......
I may seem somewhat humble to you.... because I really try to be polite.......
but politeness is not HUMILITY......
and G-d will not dwell with people who are not sincerely and genuinely humble.......

Isaiah 57:15

"For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

Here I am explaining more about my own PRIDE and how dangerous I have came to see that it really is:

Will people go to Hell for worshipping on Sunday?

I've been doing a bad job of attempting to observe the weekly and annual Jewish Sabbaths for over forty years.

My wife so far feels zero conviction regarding the Jewish Sabbaths but.......
she has a level of faith and various spiritual gifts that astonish me continually.

I suspect that I am puffed up by what I consider to be "knowledge' but my wife.... has a greater humility......... and simple faith..... and has the level of guidance to prove it over and over again to me.

In comparison to my wife I am something of a Christian Scribe or Christian Pharisee!

My wife can easily go to heaven ahead of me...because my pride could get me into big trouble with Messiah Yeshua - Jesus who will never again attempt to live with somebody full of PRIDE!!!!

Isa 57:15 "For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones."

Dr. Richard Eby's Near-Death Experience and the Second Coming of Christ

Jesus hesitated as I tried to capture the immensity of his explanations.

"You must understand, my son, that original creation mirrored the composition and perfection of Person-God. All creation vibrated in unison with us! There was total accord and harmony everywhere as the whole creation was resonating with and in God!

"Each separate thing or being thus carried out an appointed task in our scheme for the universe. A heaven-form of music resulted as even the stars sang in their appointed circuits. Here in paradise you are hearing these melodious vibrations directly upon your new mind, undistorted. On Earth you heard distorted sounds through the air waves. Throughout heaven the music flows from my throne, uninterrupted, undefiled, and peace-giving."

Jesus paused again.

"My book tells of the time when Lucifer's rebellion in heaven changed some things. He sought to usurp my Father's throne, assume his position as the most high God, and to rule the universe. For that blasphemy Lucifer was cast from heaven to Earth; in fact, I saw him fall as a bolt of lightning! In a tantrum of hate and rage over being deposed so fast he and his fallen angels disfigured our perfect Earth. It became void and uninhabitable. For punishment befitting his enemy of God, Lucifer was given a new name, Satan, since he was the self-appointed 'adversary' of the Almighty. Anything that God had made, Satan would attempt to destroy from then on. As Lucifer he had been created the highest angel about the throne, one of his assignments and talents being the chief musician in charge of worship and music. In his rebellious anger he set about destroying harmony on and in the Earth from then on. That is why the Earth where he operates now is out of harmony with God's other creations. In my book we call this disharmony 'sin', because it defies God's will that even the heavens declare the glory of God and the firmament show his handiwork.

"But be of good cheer, my son. The Father has permitted me to overcome Satan's world system of sin, and to destroy the works of Satan, and to re-establish righteousness in the hearts of my friends. Eventually in his chosen time he will restore all creation as it once was, in him!"

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Pride is word and is subject to definition........
each of us will tend to define pride somewhat differently.............

"Pride" cannot mean just whatever we want it to mean. Any word that takes on such fluidity of meaning ceases to be useful as a word. There is a basic definition of the word "pride" to which all people who know and use the term subscribe. Usually, we find these generally agreed upon definitions in dictionaries. I don't, then, concern myself with a definition of "pride" that is unique to a particular individual but rely on the generally accepted definition of the word.

.... why did the Apostle Paul have such difficulty getting along even with Barnabas?

Did he have almost zero pride??????

What does this have to do with Mr. Brisebois's fanciful - and unscriptural - extrapolations about Elijah?

I don't think that Paul would tell you that if and when you might get to speak with him in heaven........

It's not a question I was intending to ask him if ever we met.

there is a truly insightful writing out there on that by the way beginning at the 3:53:54 mark in this video.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think Rick Joyner is a kook. He is definitely a false teacher. I won't, then, be listening to anything he has to say.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
"Pride" cannot mean just whatever we want it to mean. Any word that takes on such fluidity of meaning ceases to be useful as a word. There is a basic definition of the word "pride" to which all people who know and use the term subscribe. Usually, we find these generally agreed upon definitions in dictionaries. I don't, then, concern myself with a definition of "pride" that is unique to a particular individual but rely on the dictionary definition of the word.

What does this have to do with Mr. Brisebois's fanciful - and unscriptural - extrapolations about Elijah?

It's not a question I was intending to ask him if ever we met.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but I think Rick Joyner is a kook. He is definitely a false teacher. I won't, then, be listening to anything he has to say.

I myself am of the belief that INSECURITY and exaggerated feelings of INFERIORITY are actually forms of pride....................

To say that we are useless..... morons.... incapable of getting anything right.... may appear to be HUMILITY to this world...... but in my opinion this is a lack of FAITH in the ability of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus to work with us... and turn our flaws and sins into assets that can be an important part of our TESTIMONY...... over years and decades.

I got this fascinating idea from this book......

The Call by Pastor Rick Joyner?

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I myself am of the belief that INSECURITY and exaggerated feelings of INFERIORITY are actually forms of pride....................

Yes, often they are. And this relates to Elijah how?

To say that we are useless..... morons.... incapable of getting anything right.... may appear to be HUMILITY to this world...... but in my opinion this is a lack of FAITH in the ability of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus to work with us... and turn our flaws and sins into assets that can be an important part of our TESTIMONY...... over years and decades.

Yes, fussing over my inabilities, weaknesses and limitations is to fix my eyes upon the wrong Person entirely. Who I am is not nearly as important as who God is.

I got this fascinating idea from this book......

The Call by Pastor Rick Joyner?

I got them from the Bible.

• Winner
Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Yes, often they are. And this relates to Elijah how?

Yes, fussing over my inabilities, weaknesses and limitations is to fix my eyes upon the wrong Person entirely. Who I am is not nearly as important as who God is.

I got them from the Bible.

This relates to the replies to this discussion as well as to the results of the poll so far because if we think that Elijah had ZERO fear of Queen Jezebel and her loyal soldiers........ then we are raising the bar for ourselves unrealistically high......... by thinking that Elijah........ was NOT subject to like passions as we are!

Was PRIDE and mocking the enemy what made Elijah vulnerable to FEAR?
Edit

1. NO
    9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. *
    YES
    1 vote(s)
    10.0%

3. That is a good theory that I shall research and pray about!
    0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Change Your Vote

Jas 5:17

Elias was a man subject to like passions as we are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟380,260.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am unsure how a poll has anything to do with truth.

Just as well the lady caught in adultery was not subject to a poll...

God was mocking through Elijah...

The bar is already way too high by way of the example of Jesus - Just as well this will not figure in the judgement of those truly in faith as our righteousness is as filthy rags.

For anyone who has truely moved in a ministry of power, they will know it is all about Him and nothing about us.

• Useful
Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,983.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I could have overlooked this in someone's post but "it came to pass at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near, and said, Lord God of Abraham, Isaac, and of Israel, let it be known this day that thou art God in Israel, and that I am thy servant, and that I have done all these things at thy Word," I Kings 18:36

Upvote 0