Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Virginia 2018 ballot measures - Ballotpedia
More Than Just Politicians Are on the Virginia Ballot

Originally I was no for both not wanting to further empower the State government and to have simpler taxation. But reading more about it I realize it would empower the local governments allowing each to provide these exemptions to people. What confused me is how different State politics seems to be, the localities are responsible for property taxes but need the State government's authorization or constitutional allowance.

Just in case I missed something and for continued consideration, would you vote yes or no for amending the constitution to empower the State legislature to authorize local governments to provide partial property exemption for floods and also to remove restriction on where a surviving spouse resides for property exemption of real property?

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just in case I missed something and for continued consideration, would you vote yes or no for amending the constitution to empower the State legislature to authorize local governments to provide partial property exemption for floods and also to remove restriction on where a surviving spouse resides for property exemption of real property?
I don't know about the flood issue that can have many effects that I would not know.

What age of spouse are they talking about?
If they retired or disabled they may be living somewhere else, maybe with an adult child, because they need extra care and can't live alone. In that case I would vote that they be exempt from property tax for ONE property, not on second or ....properties. So maybe tax free for 62 and older and/or disabled. It really depends on how the law reads.

Upvote 0

LoAmmi

Dispassionate
Mar 12, 2012
✟209,533.00
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
I don't know about the flood issue that can have many effects that I would not know.

What age of spouse are they talking about?
If they retired or disabled they may be living somewhere else, maybe with an adult child, because they need extra care and can't live alone. In that case I would vote that they be exempt from property tax for ONE property, not on second or ....properties. So maybe tax free for 62 and older and/or disabled. It really depends on how the law reads.

It specifies the principal place of residence.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't researched the issue in depth, but the local tax exemption seems like a slam dunk to me; especially for those who are adamantly opposed to anything that even smells like taxation. I'll probably vote yes for it.
Ringo

Upvote 0

Brotherly Spirit

Site Supporter
Feb 22, 2017
Virginia
✟224,439.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Any spouse of a deceased veteran who was eligible for the exemption when alive would continue to have it. It seems to be about letting the widowed spouse downsize elsewhere as their principal place of residence. Until it's amended if the spouse moves (or remarries) he or she loses the exemption.

Yes, I rather people could keep more of their money. But also I'd like simpler taxation not having all the deductions and exemptions for this or that. I guess we can't always have it our way, so an exemption is better than nothing. Same here, I've decided to vote yes for both; it's local and lowers taxes.

• Informative
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0