NW
✟194,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
South Carolina's six-week abortion ban struck down by state Supreme Court | CNN Politics

(CNN) - The South Carolina state Supreme Court ruled Thursday that the state’s six-week ban on abortion violates the state’s constitution. The 2021 law had banned abortions once what it called a “fetal heartbeat” is detected, which can be as early as four weeks, and more commonly, six weeks into pregnancy, with exceptions for fetal anomalies, risk to the life of the mother, or in some cases of rape or incest. In a 3-2 ruling, the court concluded that the law ran afoul of the state constitution’s privacy protections, with Justice Kaye Hearn writing in the lead opinion that the “state constitutional right to privacy extends to a woman’s decision to have an abortion.”

While the state can impose some limits on those rights, Hearn wrote, “any such limitation must be reasonable and it must be meaningful in that the time frames imposed must afford a woman sufficient time to determine she is pregnant and to take reasonable steps to terminate that pregnancy.”

Not surprisingly, some Republicans are suddenly unhappy with letting the states decide.

South Carolina Republican Gov. Henry McMaster blasted the ruling on Thursday, writing in a statement that the court “has found a right in our Constitution which was never intended by the people of South Carolina. With this opinion, the court has clearly exceeded its authority. The people have spoken through their elected representatives multiple times on this issue. I look forward to working with the General Assembly to correct this error,” the governor said.

Maybe Republicans should just put abortion rights on the ballot in all 50 states and see what the voters decide.

Last edited:
SavedByGrace3
SavedByGrace3
So privacy outweighs life?
Kill people, just do it privately.
Absurd...
As a SC resident, I hang my head. Legislature... do something about this.
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Maybe Republican should just put abortion rights on the ballot in all 50 states and see what the voters decide.
After it did so smashingly in the well know liberal stronghold of Kansas...

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Absurd...

• Agree
Reactions: BNR32FAN
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Absurd...
You’re in favor of the great State of South Carolina telling people what they are allowed to do with their bodies, with specific regard to medical issues?

Would you also be in favor of the State telling fellow South Carolinians that they have to take this, or that vaccine?

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,217.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You’re in favor of the great State of South Carolina telling people what they are allowed to do with their bodies, with specific regard to medical issues?

Would you also be in favor of the State telling fellow South Carolinians that they have to take this, or that vaccine?
The discussion has been worn out.
I say the baby is not "the woman's body" it is someone else.
Science declares the baby is not the women's body, it is a different human being genetically distinguishable from the mother.
If a woman does not want to get pregnant, then either do not do it, or use protection. That is where the choice is.
Not really going to get into this discussion again. Like I said, it is worn out. It will be decided by the congress and the courts. One side will win, the other will lose. There is no compromise, no agreement, no fruitful discussion.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,074.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The discussion has been worn out.
I say the baby is not "the woman's body" it is someone else.
Science declares the baby is not the women's body, it is a different human being genetically distinguishable from the mother.
If a woman does not want to get pregnant, then either do not do it, or use protection. That is where the choice is.
Not really going to get into this discussion again. Like I said, it is worn out. It will be decided by the congress and the courts. One side will win, the other will lose. There is no compromise, no agreement, no fruitful discussion.
We can agree that the “sides” are well entrenched.
I understand your side pretty good, I just don’t happen to agree with the reasoning.
Have a good night.

Reactions: kiwimac
Upvote 0

NxNW

Nov 30, 2019
NW
✟194,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
What if all the pro abortion people had been aborted? Would there be abortion? would they like not being allowed to exist for convenience?

Reactions: LesSme
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What if all the pro abortion people had been aborted? Would there be abortion? would they like not being allowed to exist for convenience?
If someone does not exist they cannot they like or dislike.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
If someone does not exist how can they like or dislike anything?
Try to think outside of the literal for a second. It's for example when you were a kid and your mom or dad said "how would you like it if so and so did that to you?" Do you understand now or should we stick to the literal all the time

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I prefer to stick with reality.
Then I suggest every time someone says "cya later alligator" you rush to the doctor to get a surgical transformation to become an alligator. And every time someone says "don't let the door hit you on the way out" you vigilantly make sure the door doesn't touch you even once when leaving. And when I say "talking with you was as fun as being poked in the eye." you think that I'd rather have been poked in the eye than have a conversation with you. But in all reality when you realize that none of the above should be done literally then come talk to me about the ability to discern reality from what is false

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Then I suggest every time someone says "cya later alligator" you rush to the doctor to get a surgical transformation to become an alligator. And every time someone says "don't let the door hit you on the way out" you vigilantly make sure the door doesn't touch you even once when leaving. And when I say "talking with you was as fun as being poked in the eye." you think that I'd rather have been poked in the eye than have a conversation with you. But in all reality when you realize that none of the above should be done literally then come talk to me about the ability to discern reality from what is false
The truth is that had I been aborted I would have no opinion on the matter as I would not exist.

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
The truth is that had I been aborted I would have no opinion on the matter as I would not exist.
your inability to answer the question of "how would you like it if you were to be aborted" shows that you are unable to have a normal conversation. Come on man are you seriously like this when you talk to your family or are you just being stubborn to avoid answering my original statement?

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
your inability to answer the question of "how would you like it if you were to be aborted" shows that you are unable to have a normal conversation.

The answer of if I would like it is not something that I can quantify as you're asking for a comparison between my existing and not existing. Knowing what not existing is like is unknowable.

Come on man are you seriously like this when you talk to your family or are you just being stubborn to avoid answering my original statement?
I answered it, you just don't appear to like the answer I gave.

Reactions: comana
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,159.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
They wanted the state's right to decide the legality of abortion. They got it but it hurt their feelings when a state didn't move in lockstep with anti-choice advocates. I'm glad we have the rule of law.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
The answer of if I would like it is not something that I can quantify as you're asking for a comparison between my existing and not existing. Knowing what not existing is like is unknowable.

I answered it, you just don't appear to like the answer I gave.
So, would you like it if a doctor took your life? Please tell me if you are able to answer this it's getting almost comical how hard this is, i'll try and simplify it.

Let's put you in a room with your mom in the room, the only rule is you aren't allowed to talk during the appointment BUT (so you realize you are free to talk to me and answer the question) you CAN talk when responding to this question and let's pretend when you're responding this is after the appointment you are home you have your cup of coffee and you're ready to log into CF and do what you do best.

Now the doctor is there and your Mom tells your doctor she wants you to be euthanized and the doctor sets up an appointment. WAIT before you say you cannot answer I'll give you 10 days until the appointment to have you euthanized (this is an example don't worry not to be taken literally).

So now that you are home and you know you have 10 days to live and the only person you can talk to is me, how do you feel about your mom making a decision to Euthanize you without your consent or say in the matter. Don't worry you can answer me now, how do you feel about that taking place?

Please tell me you can answer me on this, and just to stop any questions like "what are the circumstances etc etc" the only thing you know is that her reason for doing this is that from her perspective it's inconvenient to have you alive.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So, would you like it if a doctor took your life? Please tell me if you are able to answer this it's getting almost comical how hard this is, i'll try and simplify it.

Let's put you in a room with your mom in the room, the only rule is you aren't allowed to talk during the appointment BUT (so you realize you are free to talk to me and answer the question) you CAN talk when responding to this question and let's pretend when you're responding this is after the appointment you are home you have your cup of coffee and you're ready to log into CF and do what you do best.

Now the doctor is there and your Mom tells your doctor she wants you to be euthanized and the doctor sets up an appointment. WAIT before you say you cannot answer I'll give you 10 days until the appointment to have you euthanized (this is an example don't worry not to be taken literally).

So now that you are home and you know you have 10 days to live and the only person you can talk to is me, how do you feel about your mom making a decision to Euthanize you without your consent or say in the matter. Don't worry you can answer me now, how do you feel about that taking place?

Please tell me you can answer me on this, and just to stop any questions like "what are the circumstances etc etc" the only thing you know is that her reason for doing this is that from her perspective it's inconvenient to have you alive.
I answered your question. I’m not going to go along with hypothetical after hypothetical until you get an answer to your liking.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
They wanted the state's right to decide the legality of abortion.
No, they want abortion illegal. All the hew and cry about states rights will be thrown down the memory hole if a federal ban becomes possible.

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Christian Forums Staff
Red Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟401,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I answered your question. I’m not going to go along with hypothetical after hypothetical until you get an answer to your liking.
Let's pretend this is a second separate question? I think the issue is you know the answer and you refuse to answer for your whole foundation on pro abortion would come crumbling down if the life in question being taken was your own and not someone else's. It's like when there's a question like "have you committed a crime" and the three options are "yes" "no" and "choose not to answer" and we all know that people who like yourself "choose not to answer" are actually answering just by saying that.

Reactions: David Collins
Upvote 0