Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, this strikes me more as a Greenpeace sort of thing - though I imagine that there's some level of crossover between the groups.
I've always thought that Greenpeace was more ocean related, but that's because of the particular articles I've read about them. In the US, Antifa seems more against fascist groups than government overstep...impressions...

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I've always thought that Greenpeace was more ocean related, but that's because of the particular articles I've read about them. In the US, Antifa seems more against fascist groups than government overstep...impressions...
Greenpeace is a general environmental activism group - they've done a bunch of ocean-related things recently, but they've also gone after logging and fossil fuel companies.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟703,416.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Antifa, you know, the group the left says isn't real, attempted to protest a police training facility outside of Atlanta, GA. In fact, the planned on blowing the place up and was caught with explosive. They have been charged with domestic terrorism charges.

Qft

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Antifa, you know, the group the left says isn't real, attempted to protest a police training facility outside of Atlanta, GA. In fact, the planned on blowing the place up and was caught with explosive. They have been charged with domestic terrorism charges.

They should be hypnotized then sent to
Russia, N. Korea or any other country where
they'd be treated right for trying it there.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Six Charged in Atlanta with Domestic Terrorism for Protesting “Cop City” Training Facility

five people [now 6] have been charged with domestic terrorism for taking part in protests against a massive new police training facility known as Cop City. The protesters were taking part in a months-long encampment in a forested area of Atlanta where the city wants to build a $90 million, 85-acre training center on the site of a former prison farm.

JUAN GONZÁLEZ: And what are the specific actions that they allegedly have taken to warrant these kinds of charges?

KAMAU FRANKLIN: Well, the interesting thing about these arrests is that these arrests were basically a push in the forest to destroy everything that was built in terms of a resistance movement, a group of folks that we call the Forest Defenders, in terms of the loose coalition of people who have actually moved in the forest or who spend days in the forest camping out as an act of civil disobedience. Remember, Georgia is the place where John Lewis and “good trouble” is supposed to be accepted. But civil disobedience in the forest is something that is not accepted when the police want to build a highly militarized training ground.

And so, while these folks were just in part of their encampment, they were raided by the police, again, by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. Folks were sitting, literally sitting in tree huts, where they were — all of their camp equipment was destroyed. Rubber bullets were used. Guns were pointing at their head. They were involved at that particular time in no activity whatsoever, except for the act of being in the forest. And they all were taken in and then charged in this sort of RICO or conspiracy idea that the act of protest, the act of civil disobedience, direct action, is something that’s now being criminalized, in a statute that really doesn’t get used in Georgia, but it’s been on the books for a number of years. And so, these folks were doing absolutely nothing but being in the forest as Forest Defenders at the time of their arrest.

Obviously, the interviewee is sympathetic to the cause of those arrested, but it certainly suggests that these people were "Forest Defenders" and not 'antifa'.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Looks like things are set to escalate, but even the police distinguish between the lawful protest and the extremists.

On Sunday, “a group of violent agitators used the cover of a peaceful protest of the proposed Atlanta Public Safety Training Center to conduct a coordinated attack on construction equipment and police officers,” the police department said – a characterization some participants have disputed.

At least 35 people were detained after a construction vehicle was set on fire and rocks and bricks thrown at officers, authorities said, as violent protests continued Sunday at the sprawling site of a planned law enforcement training facility in Atlanta dubbed “Cop City” by opponents who claim it would propagate militarized policing and harm the environment.

The scrap came at the start of what protesters are calling a weeklong “mass mobilization” – with Thursday labeled a “National Day of Action Against Police Terror” – at the forested site slated to host the $90 million, 85-acre law enforcement facility. Officers weeks ago fatally shot a protester at the construction zone.

---

Police have charged 23 people with domestic terrorism after a violent clash between police and protesters at the site of Atlanta's future Public Safety Training Facility, nicknamed "Cop City" by critics.

• Jack Beaman of Georgia
  • Ayla King of Massachusettes
  • Maggie Gates of Indiana
  • Ehret Notthingham of Colorado
  • Alexis Paplai of Massachusetts
  • Timothy Bilodeau of Massachusetts
  • Victor Puertas of Utah
  • Amin Chaoui of Virginia
  • Dimitri LeNy of France
  • James Marscicano of North Carolina
  • Samuel Ward of Arizona
  • Max Biederman of Arizona
  • Emma Bogush of Connecticut
  • Mattia Luini of New York
  • Kayley Meissner of of Wisconsin
  • Luke Harper of Florida
  • Grace Martin of Wisconsin
  • Colin Dorsey of Maine
  • Fredrique Rober-Paul of Canada
  • Zoe Larmey of Tennessee,
  • Thomas Jurgens of Georgia
  • Priscilla Grim of New York

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

His Supreme Holy Correctfulness
Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Looks like things are set to escalate, but even the police distinguish between the lawful protest and the extremists.

On Sunday, “a group of violent agitators used the cover of a peaceful protest of the proposed Atlanta Public Safety Training Center to conduct a coordinated attack on construction equipment and police officers,” the police department said – a characterization some participants have disputed.

At least 35 people were detained after a construction vehicle was set on fire and rocks and bricks thrown at officers, authorities said, as violent protests continued Sunday at the sprawling site of a planned law enforcement training facility in Atlanta dubbed “Cop City” by opponents who claim it would propagate militarized policing and harm the environment.

The scrap came at the start of what protesters are calling a weeklong “mass mobilization” – with Thursday labeled a “National Day of Action Against Police Terror” – at the forested site slated to host the $90 million, 85-acre law enforcement facility. Officers weeks ago fatally shot a protester at the construction zone.

---

Police have charged 23 people with domestic terrorism after a violent clash between police and protesters at the site of Atlanta's future Public Safety Training Facility, nicknamed "Cop City" by critics.

• Jack Beaman of Georgia
  • Ayla King of Massachusettes
  • Maggie Gates of Indiana
  • Ehret Notthingham of Colorado
  • Alexis Paplai of Massachusetts
  • Timothy Bilodeau of Massachusetts
  • Victor Puertas of Utah
  • Amin Chaoui of Virginia
  • Dimitri LeNy of France
  • James Marscicano of North Carolina
  • Samuel Ward of Arizona
  • Max Biederman of Arizona
  • Emma Bogush of Connecticut
  • Mattia Luini of New York
  • Kayley Meissner of of Wisconsin
  • Luke Harper of Florida
  • Grace Martin of Wisconsin
  • Colin Dorsey of Maine
  • Fredrique Rober-Paul of Canada
  • Zoe Larmey of Tennessee,
  • Thomas Jurgens of Georgia
  • Priscilla Grim of New York

The absolute worst aspects of the left, encapsulated in one incident.

Bunch of people, almost all from out of state, showing up and getting violent. Now the people who were there peacefully can get painted with the same brush. I appreciate that at least the cops distinguish between the two groups, which they sure seemed to make a point NOT to do during the summer and fall of 2020. Most of these people are young, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were radicalized during that time.

I also used to play in a band with one of these people. Won't be seeing them again any time soon, one hopes.

Bottom line, this serves absolutely no one. What a complete waste and detriment to criminal justice reform.

Antifa, you know, the group the left says isn't real

It isn't. There is no group called "Antifa". It's a cause - vaguely defined as "anti-fascist" but encapsulating a swath of leftist ideologies - with many loosely-at-best affiliated groups. You might as well say "members of Environmentalism arrested on domestic terrorism charges".

Not that it matters though, as I've seen zero evidence that anyone involved identifies as antifa. Daily Fail headlines don't count.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The absolute worst aspects of the left, encapsulated in one incident.

Bunch of people, almost all from out of state, showing up and getting violent. Now the people who were there peacefully can get painted with the same brush. I appreciate that at least the cops distinguish between the two groups, which they sure seemed to make a point NOT to do during the summer and fall of 2020. Most of these people are young, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were radicalized during that time.

I also used to play in a band with one of these people. Won't be seeing them again any time soon, one hopes.

Bottom line, this serves absolutely no one. What a complete waste and detriment to criminal justice reform.

It isn't. There is no group called "Antifa". It's a cause - vaguely defined as "anti-fascist" but encapsulating a swath of leftist ideologies - with many loosely-at-best affiliated groups. You might as well say "members of Environmentalism arrested on domestic terrorism charges".

Not that it matters though, as I've seen zero evidence that anyone involved identifies as antifa. Daily Fail headlines don't count.
I couldn't disagree with you more that there's no group called Antifa. And it's more than the "Daily Fail" that mentions them. Nearly every publication and news channel says it's a group. Even the definition according to Merriam-Websters dictionary says, " a person or GROUP actively opposing fascism." They dress in black, cover their faces, call themselves Antifa, rally under a flag, etc. It's all there man. There may be different chapters, etc, but that's like saying the KKK isn't a group when they are.

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Nearly every publication and news channel says it's a group.

No they don't. Maybe in the rags you read.

Also, don't care. News gets things wrong.

Even the definition according to Merriam-Websters dictionary says, " a person or GROUP actively opposing fascism."

Dictionaries are records of usage. They aren't magic spellbooks that bind reality together.

They dress in black, cover their faces, call themselves Antifa, rally under a flag, etc. It's all there man. There may be different chapters, etc,

Sounds like you're referring to black bloc. Which is also not a group. It's a tactic that some antifa groups use, for some occasions.

that's like saying the KKK isn't a group when they are.

No, it's like saying white nationalism isn't a group. It's an ideology, comprising many different loosely affiliated groups, of which the KKK is one.

Why is it important for you to have a group to pin this on? Just pin it on the ideology. Call it "leftism running wild". You get to tick one off for your team either way.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Whoa - one of the people on that list? Or just somebody who participated in these sorts of activities?

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Whoa - one of the people on that list? Or just somebody who participated in these sorts of activities?

One of the people on the list. I'm actually considering reaching out to them and saying, the one and only good thing you can do right now is apologize to the locals who were there peacefully, and make a public statement disassociating yourselves from them so they can't be tarnished by what you've done.

As someone who actually cares about criminal justice reform, and not just masturbatory fantasies of "revolution" like these losers, I can't tell you how angry and depressed this sort of thing makes me.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No they don't. Maybe in the rags you read.

Also, don't care. News gets things wrong.

Dictionaries are records of usage. They aren't magic spellbooks that bind reality together.

Sounds like you're referring to black bloc. Which is also not a group. It's a tactic that some antifa groups use, for some occasions.

No, it's like saying white nationalism isn't a group. It's an ideology, comprising many different loosely affiliated groups, of which the KKK is one.

Why is it important for you to have a group to pin this on? Just pin it on the ideology. Call it "leftism running wild". You get to tick one off for your team either way.
Why is it important for you to say it's not a group when literally it's defined as a group and most news organizations do call it one?

Upvote 0

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why is it important for you to say it's not a group when literally it's defined as a group and most news organizations do call it one?

Because I prefer my language to accurately reflect reality, and the reasons you've provided for calling it a group are quite flimsy, for the reasons I don't feel the need to repeat.

By all means, though, keep tilting at windmills. I doubt we agree on almost anything politically, so your inability to discern who your enemies actually are is advantageous to me.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Because I prefer my language to accurately reflect reality, and the reasons you've provided for calling it a group are quite flimsy, for the reasons I don't feel the need to repeat.

By all means, though, keep tilting at windmills. I doubt we agree on almost anything politically, so your inability to discern who your enemies actually are is advantageous to me.
Whatever man. Not sure what's so advantageous to you other than getting to pat yourself on the back that you debated someone on the internets. But we can agree to disagree. When it's literally defined as a group, all you have is your own opinion, which is clearly wrong since you failed to support your own argument. Good day.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Eight Foot Manchild

Sep 9, 2010
Somerville, MA, USA
✟147,994.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
all you have is your own opinion

And reality, and an ability to make basic category distinctions.

But what good is that? What really matters is owning the libs.

When it's literally defined as a group

Dictionaries are literally not magic spell books that bind reality together.

But again, by all means, keep believing that. Information and knowledge are power. Thank you for voluntarily limiting your own.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I couldn't disagree with you more that there's no group called Antifa.
The issue might be that there is not a single, united group called Antifa, but that Antifa is an umbrella name that applies to many, separate groups. Much like White Supremacist isn't a single organization, but groups such as Three Percenters or Patriot Prayer, Anfita is not "an" organization. In contrast, Rose City Anfita is a group.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
And reality, and an ability to make basic category distinctions.

But what good is that? What really matters is owning the libs.

Dictionaries are literally not magic spell books that bind reality together.

But again, by all means, keep believing that. Information and knowledge are power. Thank you for voluntarily limiting your own.
Considering you're an atheist, I don't trust that you have a very good grasp on reality at all. And yeah, owning the libs is great and so easy to do.

Upvote 0

Saucy

King of CF
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2005
Michigan
✟838,484.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The issue might be that there is not a single, united group called Antifa, but that Antifa is an umbrella name that applies to many, separate groups. Much like White Supremacist isn't a single organization, but groups such as Three Percenters or Patriot Prayer, Anfita is not "an" organization. In contrast, Rose City Anfita is a group.
I guess my point is many of these groups call themselves Antifa. For example, there's the Portland Antifa. They have their own flag based on the Antifa flag. They have a training center. It seems like an organized group that calls themselves "Portland Antifa" and doesn't seem different at all from the KKK. Anti-fascism might be an ideology, but if I'm anti-fascist, that doesn't make me an Antifa member.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,829.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I guess my point is many of these groups call themselves Antifa. For example, there's the Portland Antifa.
Isn't that Rose City Antifa?

They have their own flag based on the Antifa flag. They have a training center. It seems like an organized group that calls themselves "Portland Antifa" and doesn't seem different at all from the KKK.
In what way are they similar to the KKK?

Anti-fascism might be an ideology, but if I'm anti-fascist, that doesn't make me an Antifa member.
It appears that the 5 people arrested in the OP are also not Antifa members. In what way are you anti-fascist?

Upvote 0