✟106,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Understanding the meaning of “much water” in John 3:23

Credobaptists most often will appeal to John 3 for their belief in immersion only baptism. After all they will say, “You need much water to immerse a person.” Is this what John is trying to convey.... evidence for immersion only baptism or is there something else going on in the background of John’s gospel that gives meaning to why John mentions ὕδατα πολλὰ.

From my perspective, ὕδατα πολλὰ (much water) has to be interpreted within the context of the entire Gospel.

John is an incredible observer of the environment around him, remembering vivid details of the events when he was with our Lord even at his late age in writing his gospel. In recalling minute details he is giving us a glimpse of his personality type. He observes what is going on around him, remembers, and writes of what he sees. And he writes with specific details what he remembers even in situations of great stress or trauma such as the Jesus walking on the water in John 6, or mentioning the thermal conditions when Peter was outside Caiaphas’ house, or writing about the weight of spices at the crucifixion site.

What do these little details signify for us today? If John writes about small details, we can’t miss what John observes when he describes what he saw in the empty tomb! This is the high point of John’s environmental observations recorded in his Gospel.

Here is a partial listing of his environmental observations.

• Quantity. In John 6, (The feeding of the 5,000) he mentions there was χόρτος πολὺς “much grass” in this area. Much grass doesn’t have any theological significance but John just describes what he sees and remembers. This is similar language as in John 3 about “much water.” He also describes amount of currency, beginning resources and ending resources. In John 21, he mentions he caught 153 fish.
    John also refers to buoyancy and non-buoyancy issues in bringing a huge haul fish to shore without breaking the nets.
  • Measurement of Volume: At the wedding of Cana, John mentions six stone pots, with a measure of two or three. One measure is equal to 39.39 liters or 8.75 gallons.
  • Historical Chronological Sequence: In healing of the official’s son in John 4, John states that this was Jesus’ second sign or miracle. And in John 21, John mentions Jesus’ third post resurrection appearance.
  • Seasonal Distinction: In John 10 in Jerusalem, John mentions it is “winter” just before Jesus states “The Father and I are one.”
  • Structural or architectural observation: He states near the Sheep Gate Pool was surrounded by five covered colonnades (John 5).
  • Distance: John specifies distance in John 11:38 and John 21 when he records that Jesus was 200 cubits off shore. In John 6 he mentions they were 25-30 stadia offshore.
  • Specific age: In John 5, he mentions an invalid of 38 years old.

There are many other observations we can make.

The point I want to make is just because John mentions “much water” in John 3, doesn’t necessarily infer depth of water. John writes what he remembers. The water could be wide and shallow or narrow and deep. John observes, remembers and writes. If we don’t attach great theological significance to any of John’s other observations in the above listing, why should we attach absolute meaning that “much water” is actual evidence of immersion only baptism? Again, we don’t object to the mode of immersion baptism, we object to the necessity of it.

To read immersion baptism into this passage an argument by conjecture, conclusive only to those who already presuppose “baptism always means immersion in the Bible."

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Understanding the meaning of “much water” in John 3:23

Credobaptists most often will appeal to John 3 for their belief in immersion only baptism. After all they will say, “You need much water to immerse a person.” Is this what John is trying to convey.... evidence for immersion only baptism or is there something else going on in the background of John’s gospel that gives meaning to why John mentions ὕδατα πολλὰ.

From my perspective, ὕδατα πολλὰ (much water) has to be interpreted within the context of the entire Gospel.

John is an incredible observer of the environment around him, remembering vivid details of the events when he was with our Lord even at his late age in writing his gospel. In recalling minute details he is giving us a glimpse of his personality type. He observes what is going on around him, remembers, and writes of what he sees. And he writes with specific details what he remembers even in situations of great stress or trauma such as the Jesus walking on the water in John 6, or mentioning the thermal conditions when Peter was outside Caiaphas’ house, or writing about the weight of spices at the crucifixion site.

What do these little details signify for us today? If John writes about small details, we can’t miss what John observes when he describes what he saw in the empty tomb! This is the high point of John’s environmental observations recorded in his Gospel.

Here is a partial listing of his environmental observations.

• Quantity. In John 6, (The feeding of the 5,000) he mentions there was χόρτος πολὺς “much grass” in this area. Much grass doesn’t have any theological significance but John just describes what he sees and remembers. This is similar language as in John 3 about “much water.” He also describes amount of currency, beginning resources and ending resources. In John 21, he mentions he caught 153 fish.
    John also refers to buoyancy and non-buoyancy issues in bringing a huge haul fish to shore without breaking the nets.
  • Measurement of Volume: At the wedding of Cana, John mentions six stone pots, with a measure of two or three. One measure is equal to 39.39 liters or 8.75 gallons.
  • Historical Chronological Sequence: In healing of the official’s son in John 4, John states that this was Jesus’ second sign or miracle. And in John 21, John mentions Jesus’ third post resurrection appearance.
  • Seasonal Distinction: In John 10 in Jerusalem, John mentions it is “winter” just before Jesus states “The Father and I are one.”
  • Structural or architectural observation: He states near the Sheep Gate Pool was surrounded by five covered colonnades (John 5).
  • Distance: John specifies distance in John 11:38 and John 21 when he records that Jesus was 200 cubits off shore. In John 6 he mentions they were 25-30 stadia offshore.
  • Specific age: In John 5, he mentions an invalid of 38 years old.
There are many other observations we can make.

The point I want to make is just because John mentions “much water” in John 3, doesn’t necessarily infer depth of water. John writes what he remembers. The water could be wide and shallow or narrow and deep. John observes, remembers and writes. If we don’t attach great theological significance to any of John’s other observations in the above listing, why should we attach absolute meaning that “much water” is actual evidence of immersion only baptism? Again, we don’t object to the mode of immersion baptism, we object to the necessity of it.

To read immersion baptism into this passage an argument by conjecture, conclusive only to those who already presuppose “baptism always means immersion in the Bible."

I am always perplexed when sincere folks who read the Bible infer that every mention of water in the New Testament is that of baptism.

Nowhere in John 3 is the word "baptism" employed. In the dialogue with Nicodemus Jesus used a very tradition Hebrew format in presenting his idea using a pair of analogies. This is something that we see frequently used both in many Psalms and in Proverbs. Here is the parallelism:

Physical birth Birth from above (second birth)
Water Spirit

When one is physically born it is commonly stated that the mother's water breaks, beginning the actual birth process. Some will argue, accurately from a scientific aspect, that the liquid that is released is not actually H20 but amniotic fluid. However, across all cultures the amniotic fluid is called "water". What Jesus is simply stating that a person is born physically through the water of physical birth. By analogy one is spiritually born of God by the Spirit (Who is also compared with water both in John's gospel and in other passages of scripture.

I maintain that the passage in John 3 has nothing whatsoever to do with water baptism.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟106,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In the dialogue with Nicodemus Jesus used a very tradition Hebrew format in presenting his idea using a pair of analogies. This is something that we see frequently used both in many Psalms and in Proverbs. Here is the parallelism:

Water Spirit

Agreed. This is one of the problems I have had understanding this text is due to Hebraic format. I have always thought that "water and Spirit" was a hendiadys which would give latitude towards Jesus referring to baptism. But this would make this passage even denser in Hebrew thought. Yesterday, after studying hendiadys examples, I am not too sure I would go that far. I am not denying "water and Spirit" are a unified concept, but I am not affirming it either.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Agreed. This is one of the problems I have had understanding this text is due to Hebraic format. I have always thought that "water and Spirit" was a hendiadys which would give latitude towards Jesus referring to baptism. But this would make this passage even denser in Hebrew thought. Yesterday, after studying hendiadys examples, I am not too sure I would go that far. I am not denying "water and Spirit" are a unified concept, but I am not affirming it either.

Fair enough. Another aspect is that the Hebrew understanding of mikvah is related to ritual purity (hence John the Baptist's use of it in relation to repentance) to this very day and has never been associated with rebirth.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟106,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
How expansive is the Great Commission with regards to baptism?
Here are my thoughts...

• Jesus speaks of “all nations” as the object of baptism.
  • Baptism is of universal application; it is a cosmopolitan command in which the differences such as of nationality, race, age, sex, social or civil status are leveled.
  • Jesus was very inclusive and non-discriminatory with regard to who should be baptized.
  • From this text baptism is not optional, just as teaching is not optional.
  • Jesus neither instituted adult nor infant baptism just simply baptism--baptism for all. All Human souls are intended for baptism
  • Christians are authorized to baptize all who compose a nation, men, women and children and infants.·
  • Jesus did not specify any particular mode to be used or a preferred mode.
  • There is no age or intellectual developmental requirement given for baptism. No mental tooling necessary.
  • The Bible is prescriptive about baptism only in our Lord’s command that it is to be done, but not in the manner or place it is to be done.
  • Baptism is a Divine institution. It is an express and direct command of Christ directing that it be observed for all time.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
How expansive is the Great Commission with regards to baptism?
Here are my thoughts...

• Jesus speaks of “all nations” as the object of baptism.
  • Baptism is of universal application; it is a cosmopolitan command in which the differences such as of nationality, race, age, sex, social or civil status are leveled.
  • Jesus was very inclusive and non-discriminatory with regard to who should be baptized.
  • From this text baptism is not optional, just as teaching is not optional.
  • Jesus neither instituted adult nor infant baptism just simply baptism--baptism for all. All Human souls are intended for baptism
  • Christians are authorized to baptize all who compose a nation, men, women and children and infants.·
  • Jesus did not specify any particular mode to be used or a preferred mode.
  • There is no age or intellectual developmental requirement given for baptism. No mental tooling necessary.
  • The Bible is prescriptive about baptism only in our Lord’s command that it is to be done, but not in the manner or place it is to be done.
  • Baptism is a Divine institution. It is an express and direct command of Christ directing that it be observed for all time.
Similar arguments have been made concerning the universal salvation of all mankind.

Upvote 0

Ain't Zwinglian

Feb 23, 2020
Oregon
✟106,237.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Similar arguments have been made concerning the universal salvation of all mankind.

Cynics and individuals who are censorious will always be apart of the CHRISTIAN FORUM. I wish they would go elsewhere and peddle #*^* somewhere else.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Out of discuss for bbbbb remarks to me, I HEREBY RESIGN FORM THE CHRISTIAN FORUM AND WILL NEVER COMMENT AGAIN

Wow! I haven't even had time to elaborate on my comment. i will do so, hoping that you take them seriously. Your statements are in blue and the parallels with the argument for universal salvation are in black.

• Jesus speaks of “all nations” as the object of baptism. God desires the salvation of all men (I Timothy 2:3 This is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.
  • Baptism is of universal application; it is a cosmopolitan command in which the differences such as of nationality, race, age, sex, social or civil status are leveled. Jesus told His disciples to preach the gospel and to baptize all nations (no exceptions at all). Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. 19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
  • Jesus was very inclusive and non-discriminatory with regard to who should be baptized. See above comment. Jesus was very inclusive and non-discriminatory with regard to who should be saved.
  • From this text baptism is not optional, just as teaching is not optional. Mark 16:15 And He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
  • Jesus neither instituted adult nor infant baptism just simply baptism--baptism for all. All Human souls are intended for baptism. All human souls are intended for salvation. I John 2:25 This is the promise which He Himself made to us: eternal life.
  • Christians are authorized to baptize all who compose a nation, men, women and children and infants.· All Christians are authorized to preach the good news of salvation to everyone. 1 Corinthians 5:11 Therefore, knowing the fear of the Lord, we persuade men, but we are made manifest to God; and I hope that we are made manifest also in your consciences. 12 We are not again commending ourselves to you but are giving you an occasion to be proud of us, so that you will have an answer for those who take pride in appearance and not in heart. 13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are of sound mind, it is for you. 14 For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this, that one died for all, therefore all died; 15 and He died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf.
  • Jesus did not specify any particular mode to be used or a preferred mode. I Corinthians 6:19 For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all, so that I may win more. 20 To the Jews I became as a Jew, so that I might win Jews; to those who are under the Law, as under the Law though not being myself under the Law, so that I might win those who are under the Law; 21 to those who are without law, as without law, though not being without the law of God but under the law of Christ, so that I might win those who are without law. 22 To the weak I became weak, that I might win the weak; I have become all things to all men, so that I may by all means save some. 23 I do all things for the sake of the gospel, so that I may become a fellow partaker of it.
  • There is no age or intellectual developmental requirement given for baptism. No mental tooling necessary. God is not a respecter of persons in regard to salvation.
    I Corinthians 2:1 And when I came to you, brethren, I did not come with superiority of speech or of wisdom, proclaiming to you the testimony of God. 2 For I determined to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ, and Him crucified. 3 I was with you in weakness and in fear and in much trembling, 4 and my message and my preaching were not in persuasive words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, 5 so that your faith would not rest on the wisdom of men, but on the power of God.

6 Yet we do speak wisdom among those who are mature; a wisdom, however, not of this age nor of the rulers of this age, who are passing away; 7 but we speak God’s wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God predestined before the ages to our glory; 8 the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it they would not have crucified the Lord of glory; 9 but just as it is written,

“Things which eye has not seen and ear has not heard,
    And which have not entered the heart of man,
    All that God has prepared for those who love Him.”

10 d]"For to us God revealed them through the Spirit; for the Spirit searches all things, even the depths of God. 11 For who among men knows the thoughts of a man except the spirit of the man which is in him? Even so the thoughts of God no one knows except the Spirit of God. 12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

14 But a natural man does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually appraised. 15 But he who is spiritual appraises all things, yet he himself is appraised by no one. 16 For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he will instruct Him? But we have the mind of Christ.

• The Bible is prescriptive about baptism only in our Lord’s command that it is to be done, but not in the manner or place it is to be done. The New Testament only commands the preaching of the gospel everywhere to all men.
  • Baptism is a Divine institution. It is an express and direct command of Christ directing that it be observed for all time. The Gospel is a Divine gift. It is an express and direct gift of Christ to all mankind in all places until the end of the age.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I am always perplexed when sincere folks who read the Bible infer that every mention of water in the New Testament is that of baptism.

Nowhere in John 3 is the word "baptism" employed. In the dialogue with Nicodemus Jesus used a very tradition Hebrew format in presenting his idea using a pair of analogies. This is something that we see frequently used both in many Psalms and in Proverbs. Here is the parallelism:

Water Spirit

When one is physically born it is commonly stated that the mother's water breaks, beginning the actual birth process. Some will argue, accurately from a scientific aspect, that the liquid that is released is not actually H20 but amniotic fluid. However, across all cultures the amniotic fluid is called "water". What Jesus is simply stating that a person is born physically through the water of physical birth. By analogy one is spiritually born of God by the Spirit (Who is also compared with water both in John's gospel and in other passages of scripture.

I maintain that the passage in John 3 has nothing whatsoever to do with water baptism.

Nicodemus would have understood water to mean water. Conversion to Judaism in the mikveh was--and still is--understood in Judaism to render one like a newborn baby, with a new identity as a Jew. Jesus tells Nicodemus, "Are you not a teacher of Israel and you do not know this?" Because Nicodemus, a rabbi, should have known precisely what Jesus was talking about.

Every Christian from the Apostles until the 16th century (including the Protestant Reformers) knew what Jesus meant when He said "water and the Spirit", it referred to Baptism.

The only reason this is disputed today is because of those in the years between the radical reformation and today who sought to come up with a brand new, entirely innovative interpretation of the passage in order to disagree with historic Christian teaching on the subject.

And if one's hermeneutic boils down to "Not agreeing with Roman Catholics" then one is always failing to read the Bible right. Because that goes sideways pretty fast. Just ask the Jehovah's Witnesses and other heretics of the 19th and 20th centuries whose entire foundation of religion is being against what has been believed since the beginning.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Nicodemus would have understood water to mean water. Conversion to Judaism in the mikveh was--and still is--understood in Judaism to render one like a newborn baby, with a new identity as a Jew. Jesus tells Nicodemus, "Are you not a teacher of Israel and you do not know this?" Because Nicodemus, a rabbi, should have known precisely what Jesus was talking about.

Every Christian from the Apostles until the 16th century (including the Protestant Reformers) knew what Jesus meant when He said "water and the Spirit", it referred to Baptism.

The only reason this is disputed today is because of those in the years between the radical reformation and today who sought to come up with a brand new, entirely innovative interpretation of the passage in order to disagree with historic Christian teaching on the subject.

And if one's hermeneutic boils down to "Not agreeing with Roman Catholics" then one is always failing to read the Bible right. Because that goes sideways pretty fast. Just ask the Jehovah's Witnesses and other heretics of the 19th and 20th centuries whose entire foundation of religion is being against what has been believed since the beginning.

-CryptoLutheran

I happen to wholeheartedly agree with the Roman Catholic Church on virtually all of its doctrines, as do all Christians.

Initiation of Gentile men into Judaism centers on circumcision, not baptism.

You might find this helpful - Mikveh - Wikipedia

If Jesus had actually meant to say that one needed to take a ritual bath in order to enter the kingdom of God, you might think He would have told Nicodemus so, rather than using the circumlocution which entirely perplexed Nicodemus. It is quite obvious from the text that Nicodemus did not come away with any concept of taking a ritual bath to enter the kingdom of God nor did Jesus explicate that form of meaning for him.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
I happen to wholeheartedly agree with the Roman Catholic Church on virtually all of its doctrines, as do all Christians.

Initiation of Gentile men into Judaism centers on circumcision, not baptism.

You might find this helpful - Mikveh - Wikipedia

If Jesus had actually meant to say that one needed to take a ritual bath in order to enter the kingdom of God, you might think He would have told Nicodemus so, rather than using the circumlocution which entirely perplexed Nicodemus. It is quite obvious from the text that Nicodemus did not come away with any concept of taking a ritual bath to enter the kingdom of God nor did Jesus explicate that form of meaning for him.

Yes, in conversion to Judaism circumcision is necessary for men.

But conversion to Judaism involves ritual washing in a mikveh.

Indeed, look at the Wikipedia page you linked to: Mikveh - Wikipedia

The Process of Conversion - Mayyim Hayyim
The Mikveh's Significance in Traditional Conversion | My Jewish Learning
Converting Infants and Children | My Jewish Learning

Notice the language Judaism uses when speaking of conversion and the mikveh,

The Christian practice of Baptism did not arise out of a vacuum, but has its direct antecedent in the Jewish mikveh.

Jesus says one must be born again, of water and Spirit, to enter God's kingdom; a direct allusion to this ritual bath well understood in Judaism as part of the conversion process. When one converts and they enter the mikveh they submerse themselves three times, and the act is one of new birth, as this is associated with the ritual washing the children of Jacob underwent at Sinai--going into the water is a rebirth as a child of the Covenant, as a Jew.

Nicodemus would have known this, so his confusion as to what Jesus is saying is strange--he should have gotten it immediately.

Christian Baptism, likewise, was historically done by a three-fold immersion, but in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. This is still how the Eastern Churches do it.

What makes Christian Baptism different from Jewish "baptism" is that this ritual washing is given a new significance with Christ. It is a mystical joining together of the individual with Jesus Christ, thus there is the forgiveness of sins, and all else Scripture associates with Baptism.

This is how the very first Christians--the Apostles included--understood Baptism. It is how the Christian Church has always understood the meaning and significance of Baptism.

It is only in the modern era that this view, the historic and biblical view, has been rejected by a minority of Christians who have chosen foreign ideas, and innovative interpretations to get away from simply confessing what the Scriptures plainly say.

The new birth, of water and Spirit, is Holy Baptism. It is through Baptism that we are born again, of God, with a new identity as Christians, having been united together with Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. And thus we walk no longer in the darkness, but in light. We have a new name, a new identity, as children of God, as heirs of God, joint-heirs with Jesus. Having the Spirit now in us as the guarantor of these things, by whom we can say, "Abba! Father!".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Yes, in conversion to Judaism circumcision is necessary for men.

But conversion to Judaism involves ritual washing in a mikveh.

Indeed, look at the Wikipedia page you linked to: Mikveh - Wikipedia

The Process of Conversion - Mayyim Hayyim
The Mikveh's Significance in Traditional Conversion | My Jewish Learning
Converting Infants and Children | My Jewish Learning

Notice the language Judaism uses when speaking of conversion and the mikveh,

The Christian practice of Baptism did not arise out of a vacuum, but has its direct antecedent in the Jewish mikveh.

Jesus says one must be born again, of water and Spirit, to enter God's kingdom; a direct allusion to this ritual bath well understood in Judaism as part of the conversion process. When one converts and they enter the mikveh they submerse themselves three times, and the act is one of new birth, as this is associated with the ritual washing the children of Jacob underwent at Sinai--going into the water is a rebirth as a child of the Covenant, as a Jew.

Nicodemus would have known this, so his confusion as to what Jesus is saying is strange--he should have gotten it immediately.

Christian Baptism, likewise, was historically done by a three-fold immersion, but in the name of the Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit. This is still how the Eastern Churches do it.

What makes Christian Baptism different from Jewish "baptism" is that this ritual washing is given a new significance with Christ. It is a mystical joining together of the individual with Jesus Christ, thus there is the forgiveness of sins, and all else Scripture associates with Baptism.

This is how the very first Christians--the Apostles included--understood Baptism. It is how the Christian Church has always understood the meaning and significance of Baptism.

It is only in the modern era that this view, the historic and biblical view, has been rejected by a minority of Christians who have chosen foreign ideas, and innovative interpretations to get away from simply confessing what the Scriptures plainly say.

The new birth, of water and Spirit, is Holy Baptism. It is through Baptism that we are born again, of God, with a new identity as Christians, having been united together with Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. And thus we walk no longer in the darkness, but in light. We have a new name, a new identity, as children of God, as heirs of God, joint-heirs with Jesus. Having the Spirit now in us as the guarantor of these things, by whom we can say, "Abba! Father!".

-CryptoLutheran

If that were the case, do you have any idea as to why Jesus willfully chose to make such a vital commandment so utterly obscure to Nicodemus?

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If that were the case, do you have any idea as to why Jesus willfully chose to make such a vital commandment so utterly obscure to Nicodemus?

I don't believe it was obscure. I think Jesus was trying to teach something important to Nicodemus, Nicodemus should have understood it, but either didn't or was being intentionally obtuse. That said, the Church has always known what Jesus was talking about, as can be seen clearly from how every Christian in antiquity who referred to Jesus' words in John 3 as being about Baptism. For them it was clear as day.

"Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, 'Unless you be born again, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'" - St. Justin, First Apology, ch. 61

"'And dipped himself,' says [the Scripture], 'seven times in Jordan.' It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but [it served] as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: 'Unless a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'" - St. Irenaeus, Fragment 34

"But give me now your best attention, I pray you, for I wish to go back to the fountain of life, and to view the fountain that gushes with healing. The Father of immortality sent the immortal Son and Word into the world, who came to man in order to wash him with water and the Spirit; and He, begetting us again to incorruption of soul and body, breathed into us the breath (spirit) of life, and endued us with an incorruptible panoply. If, therefore, man has become immortal, he will also be God. And if he is made God by water and the Holy Spirit after the regeneration of the layer he is found to be also joint-heir with Christ after the resurrection from the dead. Wherefore I preach to this effect: Come, all you kindreds of the nations, to the immortality of the baptism. I bring good tidings of life to you who tarry in the darkness of ignorance. Come into liberty from slavery, into a kingdom from tyranny, into incorruption from corruption. And how, says one, shall we come? How? By water and the Holy Ghost. This is the water in conjunction with the Spirit, by which paradise is watered, by which the earth is enriched, by which plants grow, by which animals multiply, and (to sum up the whole in a single word) by which man is begotten again and endued with life, in which also Christ was baptized, and in which the Spirit descended in the form of a dove." - St. Hippolytus of Rome, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, ch. 8

Etc.

Every reference or allusion to John 3:5 is understood, indisputably, as Baptism. This was taken for granted by the ancient Church.

Even in Titus 3:5 St. Paul speaks of the "washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit".

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't believe it was obscure. I think Jesus was trying to teach something important to Nicodemus, Nicodemus should have understood it, but either didn't or was being intentionally obtuse. That said, the Church has always known what Jesus was talking about, as can be seen clearly from how every Christian in antiquity who referred to Jesus' words in John 3 as being about Baptism. For them it was clear as day.

"Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Saviour Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, 'Unless you be born again, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'" - St. Justin, First Apology, ch. 61

"'And dipped himself,' says [the Scripture], 'seven times in Jordan.' It was not for nothing that Naaman of old, when suffering from leprosy, was purified upon his being baptized, but [it served] as an indication to us. For as we are lepers in sin, we are made clean, by means of the sacred water and the invocation of the Lord, from our old transgressions; being spiritually regenerated as new-born babes, even as the Lord has declared: 'Unless a man be born again through water and the Spirit, he shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.'" - St. Irenaeus, Fragment 34

"But give me now your best attention, I pray you, for I wish to go back to the fountain of life, and to view the fountain that gushes with healing. The Father of immortality sent the immortal Son and Word into the world, who came to man in order to wash him with water and the Spirit; and He, begetting us again to incorruption of soul and body, breathed into us the breath (spirit) of life, and endued us with an incorruptible panoply. If, therefore, man has become immortal, he will also be God. And if he is made God by water and the Holy Spirit after the regeneration of the layer he is found to be also joint-heir with Christ after the resurrection from the dead. Wherefore I preach to this effect: Come, all you kindreds of the nations, to the immortality of the baptism. I bring good tidings of life to you who tarry in the darkness of ignorance. Come into liberty from slavery, into a kingdom from tyranny, into incorruption from corruption. And how, says one, shall we come? How? By water and the Holy Ghost. This is the water in conjunction with the Spirit, by which paradise is watered, by which the earth is enriched, by which plants grow, by which animals multiply, and (to sum up the whole in a single word) by which man is begotten again and endued with life, in which also Christ was baptized, and in which the Spirit descended in the form of a dove." - St. Hippolytus of Rome, Discourse on the Holy Theophany, ch. 8

Etc.

Every reference or allusion to John 3:5 is understood, indisputably, as Baptism. This was taken for granted by the ancient Church.

Even in Titus 3:5 St. Paul speaks of the "washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit".

-CryptoLutheran

If it was not obscure to Nicodemus, then the natural reaction ought to have been, on his part, "Master, prithee baptize me so that I may enter into life eternal." However, it was evidently very obscure to Nicodemus because his logical question was, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” Nicodemus clearly associated the water of birth with amniotic fluid and not with a baptism for purification. Jesus was not talking about purification, but of birth.

• Informative
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
If it was not obscure to Nicodemus, then the natural reaction ought to have been, on his part, "Master, prithee baptize me so that I may enter into life eternal." However, it was evidently very obscure to Nicodemus because his logical question was, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” Nicodemus clearly associated the water of birth with amniotic fluid and not with a baptism for purification. Jesus was not talking about purification, but of birth.

Well no, the statement of being born of water and the Spirit follows after Nicodemus' apparent confusion about new birth. "Water and Spirit" is Jesus' clarification of what He means about being born again.

"Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, 'Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.' Jesus answered him, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.' Nicodemus said to him, 'How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?' Jesus answered, 'Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Do not marvel that I said to you,"You must be born again." The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.'"

Nicodemus is thinking in terms of the flesh, asking how someone can be born when he is already grown, entering his mother's womb to be born a second time.

Jesus, however, is speaking of spiritual matters, the new birth is a spiritual birth of water and the Spirit.

"Water and Spirit" is clarification about being born again. "That which is born of flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit" is likewise clarification, directing Nicodemus away from the absurd notion of literally re-entering the womb.

"Nicodemus said to him, 'How can these things be?' Jesus answered him, 'Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony. If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in him may have eternal life.'"

Here, Nicodemus inquires further. Is Nicodemus still confused, is he being obtuse, or is he simply engaging in rabbinic discussion and debate with a fellow rabbi?

Regardless, Jesus responds, "Are you the teacher of Israel and you do not understand these things?" That is, Nicodemus should know exactly what Jesus means.

"Amen amen I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony"

This seems to suggest that Nicodemus isn't confused, he's just being stubborn.

"If I told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things?"

Jesus' talking about the new birth isn't as yet radical, nothing Jesus has said is beyond what Nicodemus should have already understood. But if Nicodemus is being stubborn, or not getting it on this, how is he going to get it when Jesus speaks of even deeper issues?

"No one has ascended to heaven except He who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, that whoever believes in Him may have eternal life"

Here Jesus switches to heavenly things, directing Nicodemus to himself, as the Son of Man, and hints at His future Passion.

Jesus then continues to elaborate on these heavenly things, these deeper things, with verse 16 and onward, as we are familiar with.

The new birth is elementary, basic, it's what Nicodemus or any rabbi should understand; but Jesus leads from this onto the fuller mystery of who He is, what He came to do, and the salvation which is found in Him for the whole world.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
not with a baptism for purification. Jesus was not talking about purification, but of birth.

You are conflating the different uses of the mikveh in Judaism. See the links I provided to Jewish sources on the subject. Yes, the mikveh is used for ritual purification; but the mikveh is also an essential part of conversion to Judaism. It is this use of the mikveh that is what matters here.

Jesus is not talking about Jewish purification in the mikveh, but to the conversion of non-Jews to Judaism. The language of becoming like a child again, of becoming a newborn infant, is associated with conversion through the mikveh.

"Submerging in a pool of water for the purpose not of using the water’s physical cleansing properties but expressly to symbolize a change-of-soul is a statement at once deeply spiritual and immensely compelling. No other symbolic act can so totally embrace a person as being submerged in water, which must touch and cover every lesion, every strand of hair, every birthmark. No other religious act is so freighted with meaning as this one which touches every aspect of life and proclaims a total commitment to a new idea and a new way of life as it swallows up the old and gives birth to the new.

The water of the mikveh is designed to ritually cleanse a person from deeds of the past. The convert is considered by Jewish law to be like a newborn child. By spiritually cleansing the convert, the mikveh water prepares him or her to confront God, life, and people with a fresh spirit and new eyes–it washes away the past, leaving only the future. Of course, this does not deny that there were good and beautiful aspects of the past. But, in the strictest religious sense, that past was only prologue to a future life as a Jew.
" - The Mikveh's Significance in Traditional Conversion | My Jewish Learning

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,889.00
Faith
Non-Denom
You are conflating the different uses of the mikveh in Judaism. See the links I provided to Jewish sources on the subject. Yes, the mikveh is used for ritual purification; but the mikveh is also an essential part of conversion to Judaism. It is this use of the mikveh that is what matters here.

Jesus is not talking about Jewish purification in the mikveh, but to the conversion of non-Jews to Judaism. The language of becoming like a child again, of becoming a newborn infant, is associated with conversion through the mikveh.

"Submerging in a pool of water for the purpose not of using the water’s physical cleansing properties but expressly to symbolize a change-of-soul is a statement at once deeply spiritual and immensely compelling. No other symbolic act can so totally embrace a person as being submerged in water, which must touch and cover every lesion, every strand of hair, every birthmark. No other religious act is so freighted with meaning as this one which touches every aspect of life and proclaims a total commitment to a new idea and a new way of life as it swallows up the old and gives birth to the new.

The water of the mikveh is designed to ritually cleanse a person from deeds of the past. The convert is considered by Jewish law to be like a newborn child. By spiritually cleansing the convert, the mikveh water prepares him or her to confront God, life, and people with a fresh spirit and new eyes–it washes away the past, leaving only the future. Of course, this does not deny that there were good and beautiful aspects of the past. But, in the strictest religious sense, that past was only prologue to a future life as a Jew.
" - The Mikveh's Significance in Traditional Conversion | My Jewish Learning

-CryptoLutheran

Any concept of a new birth in relation to conversion in Judaism is completely foreign. It is all about becoming kosher. Thus, the foreskin, which is considered to be impure and a source of sexual disease in men, is removed and, yes, the body undergoes purification through bathing in the mikveh. It would have been quite natural for Jesus to have told Nicodemus that he needed to be baptized in order to enter the kingdom of God. However, Jesus was being surprisingly enigmatic in telling Nicodemus that conversion was a matter of being completely born a second time.

Thus, Nicodemus was not being at all stubborn, but was completely perplexed that Jesus would associate the concept of birth with entering the kingdom of heaven.

Birth, in actual fact, was considered a form of defilement, especially for the mother.

• Informative
Reactions: Thera
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,303.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Any concept of a new birth in relation to conversion in Judaism is completely foreign. It is all about becoming kosher. Thus, the foreskin, which is considered to be impure and a source of sexual disease in men, is removed and, yes, the body undergoes purification through bathing in the mikveh. It would have been quite natural for Jesus to have told Nicodemus that he needed to be baptized in order to enter the kingdom of God. However, Jesus was being surprisingly enigmatic in telling Nicodemus that conversion was a matter of being completely born a second time.

Thus, Nicodemus was not being at all stubborn, but was completely perplexed that Jesus would associate the concept of birth with entering the kingdom of heaven.

Birth, in actual fact, was considered a form of defilement, especially for the mother.

I don't understand why you are simply dismissing actual Jewish sources, what Jews themselves have to say about conversion to Judaism.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0