• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

US buys up world stock of key Covid-19 drug remdesivir

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Nithavela, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Nithavela

Nithavela What would Nurgle do?

+11,573
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    U.S. buys up worldwide stock of remdesivir, drug seen as potential COVID-19 treatment

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Well-Known Member Supporter

+11,592
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
  3. Nithavela

+11,573
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I think this is one of the first rational actions of the US government in this crisis.

Coldly, cruely rational, but rational. So, kudos for that.

4. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Seems more like a give me that it’s mine impulse, a la kindergarten bully.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  6. Nithavela

+11,573
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    You can't get much more rational than beating someone to take their stuff when you know they can't fight back. Anything else is just virtue signalling. It's just good buisness.

7. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Bullies end up with high blood pressure, bad relationships and self-loathing. Maybe there’s a nation state equivalent of that.

8. Hammster

Hammster Showin’ how funky and strong is your fight Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+19,014
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I’m pretty sure the drugs were purchased from a manufacturer, not forcefully taken from someone else who purchased the drugs.

9. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Having the means to pay doesn’t make taking all of a resource much needed by others any less of a selfish act.

10. Hammster

Hammster Showin’ how funky and strong is your fight Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+19,014
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Is it much needed by the US?

11. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    All of it? If so, it’s a situation that could have been avoided. What’s your point?

12. Hammster

+19,014
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I would say that the US needs as much as it can secure. If they do so legally, then I don’t see the problem.

13. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+8,988
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    Have you sold all your worldly goods and given them to the poor?

14. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    The US is part of an international community, like it or not. This kind of behaviour is not the norm.

15. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    You would have a point if you were making an equivalent argument to ‘should the US give away all of its medication’, which would be a different argument. The actual argument would be the US should share much needed treatment that is not currently needed in the US - the 500,000 unit estimated supply could be partially shared according to current projections of need - until the drug can be manufactured elsewhere. Some forewarning of this kind of behaviour would be a minimal courtesy.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  16. Hammster

+19,014
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    The US is a sovereign nation. It has the right to purchase as many drugs as possible. It would only be wrong if it bought more drugs than necessary.

17. Tom 1

+9,607
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    ? I don’t get how this relates to the actual scenario. The US can do whatever it wants, if you’re trying to argue that buying up the entire projected supply of remsidvir is ethical you’ll need to do better though. On what basis are you saying that 500,000 doses is only what is needed over the summer? And on what basis would you say that a compromise arrangement to provide wider accessibility while increasing manufacturing capacity would not be a more ethical approach?

18. Hammster

+19,014
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    I don’t need to do better. If 500,000 people can be cured, why not 500,000 Americans?

19. Nithavela

+11,573
    Germany
    Other Religion
    Single
    I totally agree. Since one american equals 3 europeans, 5 asians or several hundred africans, it's only right that everything is done to make as many americans survive as possible.

20. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,095
    United States
    Married
    Well, you could always forbid people from the United States from entering Europe…