✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
It should. All religions should.

Churches receive something like 70-80 billion dollars a year in subsidies and don't pay tax... and people want to cut welfare?

It's not a religion.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I think President Trump must not be clear about the powers of his office if he thinks he is entitled to revoke individual entities tax-exempt status. Will he also then be able to order an audit of whomever he chooses? He should be informed he was neither elected king or emperor.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I think President Trump must not be clear about the powers of his office if he thinks he is entitled to revoke individual entities tax-exempt status. Will he also then be able to order an audit of whomever he chooses? He should be informed he was neither elected king or emperor.

They actually only got this status during the Clinton era, and under questionable circumstances. This is one thing I'm actually for. If you've studied Scientology you'd know that it isn't a religion at all, but a money making cult that perpetuates massive amounts of suffering and abuse. There's a reason it's banned in a lot of countries.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
They actually only got this status during the Clinton era, and under questionable circumstances. This is one thing I'm actually for. If you've studied Scientology you'd know that it isn't a religion at all, but a money making cult that perpetuates massive amounts of suffering and abuse. There's a reason it's banned in a lot of countries.
I don't doubt their methods and motives are as you say however, it is up to the former members to bring a case to the IRS. I'm sure that the President can alert the IRSs and possibly influence them to investigate just based on the weight of the office making the call and the fear that provokes but The President can't instruct the IRS to take away their status legally. At least I am unaware that he holds unilateral power to make decisions on individual cases within the IRS. I do concede that he does have the power to pardon someone for a crime so he does have a lot of power.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I don't doubt their methods and motives are as you say however, it is up to the former members to bring a case to the IRS.

...you really don't know about scientology do you? I don't say that as a slight, either. You really need to look into the group.

• Agree
Reactions: redleghunter
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Despite the fact I think scientology is a spiritually abusive cult, on principle I am against this because it's not in the government's interest to try to figure out what is, and is not, a legitimate religion. That takes us down a very dangerous road where our freedom of religion could be at stake.

Upvote 0

compassion 4 humanity

Oct 24, 2017
Texas
✟49,508.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
While I don’t know much about Scientology, I will say this: I favor discrimination against Satanists who want tax exemptions. Christians should be given tax-exempt status, but adherents of the Church of Satan shouldn’t. It is necessary to discriminate against Satanists because they belong to the Devil.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
...you really don't know about scientology do you? I don't say that as a slight, either. You really need to look into the group.
I understand who they are and what they do. It is a science fiction mind control cult where you move up in rank based on the "lessons" that you have purchased. At least that's whet my understanding is. It's not about what they do or believe in, it's more about who's job is who's. The Prez doesn't need to take an interest in individual IRS cases, he should be more concerned with the laws and policies of the nation as a whole.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
I understand who they are and what they do. It is a science fiction mind control cult where you move up in rank based on the "lessons" that you have purchased. At least that's whet my understanding is. It's not about what they do or believe in, it's more about who's job is who's. The Prez doesn't need to take an interest in individual IRS cases, he should be more concerned with the laws and policies of the nation as a whole.

I am talking about why people don't come forward

Fair Game (Scientology) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,109,676.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Churches receive something like 70-80 billion dollars a year in subsidies and don't pay tax... and people want to cut welfare?
I don't totally disagree with you and this is because of the ridiculous amounts of donations that never get used for the intent of spreading the gospel or helping the poor.

If churches had to keep accurate accounting records they could receive deductions for legitimate ministries but not for 25,000 sq. ft. homes, private air fields, more than one luxury car, boats, etc.

If the pastor or founder is an author any income from his/her writings are his own personal income and cannot be mixed in with the church's income.

Upvote 0

webslave

Forever At Peace.
Oct 21, 2016
Australia
✟17,193.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Good. So should megachurches like Hillsong and C3, extremist mosques, or any church that makes a political statement. Governments spend billions of dollars on subsidies for religious organizations, including folks that run megachurches like Phil Pringle that have been able to build $15 million empires without paying a cent of taxation in their entire life. In economics speak, subsidies for megachurches is a misallocation of resources, that could instead be spent on local industry or getting rid of company tax.

That being said, I don't mind subsidies for smaller churches, but megachurches that are run like businesses should be paying tax like any other business.

Upvote 0

LadyKay

Nov 6, 2017
Midwest
✟23,067.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Churches are tax except because they are suppose to be non-prophet. They are not suppose to take in money for the sake of turning a prophet and getting rich. The church is suppose to reach out into the community and offer aid and support to people in need. As my pastor explain to us one Sunday. The church because of its tax-except is obligated to help the needy in the community. Taking the burden off the government and the tax payer. Perhaps some churches do not follow this. Something they will have to explain to God when the time comes. But that is the ideal behind tax except for the church.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟905,075.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Churches are tax except because they are suppose to be non-prophet. They are not suppose to take in money for the sake of turning a prophet and getting rich. The church is suppose to reach out into the community and offer aid and support to people in need. As my pastor explain to us one Sunday. The church because of its tax-except is obligated to help the needy in the community. Taking the burden off the government and the tax payer. Perhaps some churches do not follow this. Something they will have to explain to God when the time comes. But that is the ideal behind tax except for the church.

Sadly isn't the case in most cases. Christian/religious charities are also some of the absolute worst for money actually getting to where it's needed.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would depend on the situation - The churches I go to are struggling financially and small, and do a lot of charity work and donation to the local homeless shelter and other communities.

There are mega churches out there that rake in the cash.

including folks that run megachurches like Phil Pringle that have been able to build $15 million empires without paying a cent of taxation in their entire life.

I don't think Churches should lose their tax exemption status (they are not a business, despite receiving tithes and such), and it only applies to the church as a building and organization, not individual pastors. If he is somehow manipulating it further than that, then he's skating on thin ground.

Upvote 0