Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Sadly isn't the case in most cases. Christian/religious charities are also some of the absolute worst for money actually getting to where it's needed.

Depends on the church. Also, no, American churches are never going to lose their tax-exempt status because it'd violate our right to freedom of religion.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Depends on the church. Also, no, American churches are never going to lose their tax-exempt status because it'd violate our right to freedom of religion.

How does it violate a right to freedom of religion?

Is paying income tax a violation of freedom of religion?

No. It isn't. Render unto Caesar...

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
How does it violate a right to freedom of religion?

Is paying income tax a violation of freedom of religion?

No. It isn't. Render unto Caesar...

Because historically governments have used taxes on churches and religions to favor one group or to bend it to the government's will.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I think President Trump must not be clear about the powers of his office if he thinks he is entitled to revoke individual entities tax-exempt status. Will he also then be able to order an audit of whomever he chooses? He should be informed he was neither elected king or emperor.

With all due respect to your opinion, Obama did the very same thing and yes Obama believed he was a king.

Upvote 0

Zoii

Oct 13, 2016
Australia
✟103,785.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I guess the question is - should any religion be tax exempt when the money cant be linked to welfare but rather to the church's financial bottom line... Should they pay company tax on actual non-welfare profits. eg where a religion owns a hotel

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I guess the question is - should any religion be tax exempt when the money cant be linked to welfare but rather to the church's financial bottom line... Should they pay company tax on actual non-welfare profits. eg where a religion owns a hotel

That's a very good question. Food for thought

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
With all due respect to your opinion, Obama did the very same thing and yes Obama believed he was a king.
Who's tax exempt status did former President Obama seek to personally revoke? I was unaware that he undertook such a crusade. Former President Obama issued an average of 35 Executive orders per year which was the lowest average since Grover Cleveland who left office in 1897. It would seem that Obama did not use the office of the Presidency to unilaterally dictate the outcomes of individual IRS cases or make illegal executive orders in order to enforce his personal religious views upon the visitors of the United States as a king or emperor in a monarchy or empire might.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
My church barely keeps its doors open. The pastor is compensated enough to support his large family but its not comparable to his education relative to other vocations.

Reactions: jmldn2
Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You bring up a good point because for example in my religion, there are many monasteries and religious centers that offer "retreats" which entail a stay at the monastery, possibly meals and spiritual direction. They ask for payment for these services. Some ask for a certain rate based on the size of room, if you had meals, and if you used the guidance of a spiritual advisor. Through there is a rate, many don't require the amount but will accept what you can give however, these retreats can net the monastery hundreds of dollars for just a few days. Then they also offer group retreats and host conferences for the general population where they provide meeting rooms and even catering. I'm sure some of them barely scrape by but I also sure some of them make a great deal of money for the Abbey or monastery. Kind of seems like they are getting away with something doesn't it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
My church barely keeps its doors open. The pastor is compensated enough to support his large family but its not comparable to his education relative to other vocations.
For the amount of education they have, teachers and preachers definitely get a raw deal money wise. They are blessed all the more for it I believe.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
My pastor has two doctorates, one in law and one in divinity. And most Lutheran pastors have gone to school for at least six to eight years before they are allowed to be a vicar. Many people I'm sure that have a calling to be a pastor cannot do so simply because they do not have the money.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Who's tax exempt status did former President Obama seek to personally revoke? I was unaware that he undertook such a crusade. Former President Obama issued an average of 35 Executive orders per year which was the lowest average since Grover Cleveland who left office in 1897. It would seem that Obama did not use the office of the Presidency to unilaterally dictate the outcomes of individual IRS cases or make illegal executive orders in order to enforce his personal religious views upon the visitors of the United States as a king or emperor in a monarchy or empire might.

Obama almost destroyed America as we knew it. His executive orders helped the cause of those against America. His objective from day one was to bring America down several notches to where he decided she should be. Obama used the executive office to create racial, social, workplace divide like no other president before him. He had the most corrupt tax officials, veteran affairs officials, AG, and the list goes on and on. As for whatever his religious views were, I never saw anything religious presented by him. He presented no foreign policy with the interest of America first.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,257,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Politics
US-Democrat
As for whatever his religious views were, I never saw anything religious presented by him.

Probably because Fox News chose not to cover it. "Fair and balanced" and all. Obama held yearly Christmas parties and he stated Christian convictions about Jesus Christ on several occasions. Of course your conservative masters can't fit that into their "Godless liberal" meme, so they edit that out.

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Probably because Fox News chose not to cover it. "Fair and balanced" and all. Obama held yearly Christmas parties and he stated Christian convictions about Jesus Christ on several occasions. Of course your conservative masters can't fit that into their "Godless liberal" meme, so they edit that out.

I don't think not covering the Presidents Christmas party is a part of some conspiracy. People generally don't care about those sorts of things.

I am interested in hearing about when Obama didn't bring up Jesus in a manner meant to gin up support for some position he was taking, however.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married

Please, I am a conservative but I deal with people as human beings first and foremost. I have only one Master and that is God Almighty, Maker of Heaven and Earth.

If Obama did those things you said, then that is wonderful news. However, I never saw any of his christian convictions ever. BTW, I look at all news media except MSNBC. As for "editing" you can certainly attribute that to MSM as well.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Obama almost destroyed America as we knew it. His executive orders helped the cause of those against America. His objective from day one was to bring America down several notches to where he decided she should be. Obama used the executive office to create racial, social, workplace divide like no other president before him. He had the most corrupt tax officials, veteran affairs officials, AG, and the list goes on and on. As for whatever his religious views were, I never saw anything religious presented by him. He presented no foreign policy with the interest of America first.
Looks like a whole lot of opinion with no facts. I think it's possible somebody told you Obama was bad and you believed them but you don't actually know why. Right wing talk radio does that and so do family members. Try looking at facts and data, then decide who is doing what, things tend to fit together a lot better that way.

Upvote 0

jmldn2

Site Supporter
Nov 20, 2013
✟85,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Looks like a whole lot of opinion with no facts. I think it's possible somebody told you Obama was bad and you believed them but you don't actually know why. Right wing talk radio does that and so do family members. Try looking at facts and data, then decide who is doing what, things tend to fit together a lot better that way.

Of course you see my opinion. Just like you presented above. Your opinion. Left wing talk radio, left wing media sway those of you who are - well -left wing. I have looked at the facts, the results of Obama's actions and have made my own mind up.

Have you done the same?

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,357.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Of course you see my opinion. Just like you presented above. Your opinion. Left wing talk radio, left wing media sway those of you who are - well -left wing. I have looked at the facts, the results of Obama's actions and have made my own mind up.

Have you done the same?
So what specific action has Obama taken that has "helped the cause of those against America?" How did he do that exactly? I can say Trup has abused his power by dictating to the IRS who they should exclude from religious exemption when he has no background in tax law. He also made a couple illegal unenforceable executive orders discriminating against certain ethnic groups. See those are specific examples of wrong or illegal behavior not just "he hates America" type accusations. See what I mean about fact and opinion?

Upvote 0

Rion

Annuit Cœptis
Site Supporter
Oct 26, 2006
Nebraska
✟419,198.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
So what specific action has Obama taken that has "helped the cause of those against America?" How did he do that exactly? I can say Trup has abused his power by dictating to the IRS who they should exclude from religious exemption when he has no background in tax law. He also made a couple illegal unenforceable executive orders discriminating against certain ethnic groups. See those are specific examples of wrong or illegal behavior not just "he hates America" type accusations. See what I mean about fact and opinion?

Not directed at me, but I'd start with looking up the concept of "double tap"ping with drone strikes.

Upvote 0