Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
It looks like you are simply trying to dodge in giving me a detailed word by word commentary on the five verses I posted in Jonah 3. If you can't do that, I am going to assume you really do not know what the text is saying.

Okay.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you believe they are a slam dunk, then nothing I can say will change your mind. But like I said, using narratives to inform didactics is backwards. Hopefully that will sink in at some point.

Do not do it for me do it for others here who may need an explanation.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The fact that God does not save everyone has nothing to do with God's power to save everyone. Salvation is not limited by God's personal "power", but by man's desire. God does have the power, desire and God is offering to saving everyone who is lost, but God is not going to force His Love on any of us like a shotgun wedding with God holding the shotgun. Godly type Love cannot be forced on a person or it ceases to be Godly type Love.
Power is not the problem, but the nature of Godly type Love (How God defines this Love), requires an autonomous free will choice by the receiver of this Love to complete the transaction.

And then once the Christian gets to heaven he will no longer have the freewill to choose for or against God like Satan did. What of those in hell?

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
So you posted a word by word commentary on John 3:1-4 and Jonah 3:10?
I must have missed that post.

No, but if you read what I posted then you should be able to get my understanding.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No, but if you read what I posted then you should be able to get my understanding.

I was speaking sarcastically. I know you did not post a word by word commentary on Jonah 3:1-4 and Jonah 3:10 (like I was asking of you). Why? Because I know that you cannot do so without bending the plain text out of shape. But you are still welcome to try.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
I was speaking sarcastically. I know you did not post a word by word commentary on Jonah 3:1-4 and Jonah 3:10 (like I was asking of you). Why? Because I know that you cannot do so without bending the plain text out of shape. But you are still welcome to try.

Okay. Since you've already discarded whatever I might say, I see no point.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Okay. Since you've already discarded whatever I might say, I see no point.

But these threads are not just read by the likes of myself. They are read by many other Christians (sometimes months later). So if you think you have the truth to help somebody, then you should be jumping at the chance to defend what I believe is the achilles heel of Calvinism.

I mean, by all means, please do not say anything. That would be good for me. It would prove that my biblical position (Synergism) has a lot more weight to it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
But these threads are not just read by the likes of myself. They are read by many other Christians (sometimes months later). So if you think you have the truth to help somebody, then you should be jumping at the chance to defend what I believe is the achilles heel of Calvinism.

I mean, by all means, please do not say anything. That would be good for me. It would prove that my biblical position (Synergism) has a lot more weight to it.

If you think a non-response by me somehow gives weight to your view, then your view must be very weak in that it can't stand up to disagreement.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you think a non-response by me somehow gives weight to your view, then your view must be very weak in that it can't stand up to disagreement.

Uh, no. That is illogical. If I wanted you to be silent, I would not challenge you to give a word by word commentary on Jonah 3:1-4 and Jonah 3:10. I am just saying, that if you dont' provide a commentary on the verses I gave, that will make people think your argument for Calvinism is weak (Which I know that it is).

Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Uh, no. That is illogical. If I wanted you to be silent, I would not challenge you to give a word by word commentary on Jonah 3:1-4 and Jonah 3:10. I am just saying, that if you dont' provide a commentary on the verses I gave, that will make people think your argument for Calvinism is weak (Which I know that it is).

If they disagree with Reformed Theology, they'll think it weak anyway.

But if someone is truly interested, they can go here.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If they disagree with Reformed Theology, they'll think it weak anyway.

But if someone is truly interested, they can go here.

That is not really a direct explanation to answering the verses I brought forth. That is more like a general Calvinism website. I think if somebody is truly after the truth, they will look at Jonah 3 objectively and be like, "Oh, so this is what it says. Calvinism cannot be true." It is really that simple.

The moral argument should be enough for Calvinism to fall down like a house of cards. But if one needs Scripture that completely destroys Calvinism, Jonah 3 is a great place to begin to throw down this doctrine before it even gets a chance of consideration in Scripture.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,192,667.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Hammster

Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
That is not really a direct explanation to answering the verses I brought forth. That is more like a general Calvinism website. I think if somebody is truly after the truth, they will look at Jonah 3 objectively and be like, "Oh, so this is what it says. Calvinism cannot be true." It is really that simple.

The moral argument should be enough for Calvinism to fall down like a house of cards. But if one needs Scripture that completely destroys Calvinism, Jonah 3 is a great place to begin to throw down this doctrine before it even gets a chance of consideration in Scripture.

Okay.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

areelius

Sep 2, 2017
temecula
✟7,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see any evidence that he believed the gospel according to scripture. Unless the Spirit of God leads His people into two opposite directions regarding the truth of the gospel
Did you know him personally? If not then your comment is meaningless.

Upvote 0

areelius

Sep 2, 2017
temecula
✟7,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Your analysis is completely wrong based on arrogance
You sound like the typical cold hearted Calvinist, who looks down at other Christians as somehow unsaved and wicked. But why have that attitude, since they obviously are not elected to salvation and you are? Yet you show no sign of believing they have no choice, yet judge them as if they do. This is entirely consistent with your messiah John Calvin the murderer.

Upvote 0

areelius

Sep 2, 2017
temecula
✟7,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would argue that almost all who are against Calvinism have a complete misunderstanding of it, as well as the fact that they cannot support their own perspective from a proper exegesis of scripture.
Sorry but that is only response I have ever heard from Calvinists. Its lame. TULIP is there to explain it in very simple terms. It is easy to understand what TULIP means and how it applies to humanity. Yet all you say to the anyone who disgrees is that we dont understand. Calvinism is as basic and simple as anything could be. The problem is that we DO understand it perfectly, but REJECT it entirely. But what else would you expect from all of us non- elect folks? How can we understand anything since we are unconditionally damned.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,184.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
And then once the Christian gets to heaven he will no longer have the freewill to choose for or against God like Satan did. What of those in hell?

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf
I did not say anything about those in heaven or hell and I did not say this.

People who go to heaven will have free will to Love like God Loves which is by choice.
What help will you have in heaven which satan did not have in heaven prior to sinning assume we both have free will?
There is also huge changes to us personally from our earthly body to a Spiritual body.

If you want more I can give it but it seems off topic?

Upvote 0