The Sabbath of the TEN Commandments - for all mankind (V2)

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The phrase means from “month to month from week to week" IOW continually!
There is no commonly accepted hermeneutic for this interpretation, even among scholars who reject the obligation of Sabbath-keeping.

The word "שַׁבָּת (shab.bat) (H7676)" is translated "Sabbath" in this verse in every major English version of the Bible, and of the 28 featured on Biblehub.com, only 3 use the word "week."

To say it means "week" here and "day of rest" there is something very few learned English translators have felt comfortable doing. Especially with so many closely related words tied directly to cessation and rest. And with the existence of the word " שָׁבוּעַ (sha.vu.a) (H7620)," meaning "period of seven days."

In the King James Version and the NASB, it is translated "Sabbath" in all 89 occurrences.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
That is indeed what I mean.
OH, just a minute - (after tagging 'winner') -
is it written in Scripture that Yahweh gives (for free, by grace) His Beloved Sleep(/rest) ? .... (yes), and then, how has His Promise of sleep/rest affected your life so far , in the past ? It has affected mine greatly - as He always keeps His Word and His Promises....

Upvote 0

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
OH, just a minute - (after tagging 'winner') -
is it written in Scripture that Yahweh gives (for free, by grace) His Beloved Sleep(/rest) ? .... (yes), and then, how has His Promise of sleep/rest affected your life so far , in the past ? It has affected mine greatly - as He always keeps His Word and His Promises....
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I normally have very little trouble sleeping.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I normally have very little trouble sleeping.
Good. Even in the worst of times, Yahweh always keeps His Word . That's a Promise , not as if to claim it, but simply in His Word to read it, and believe Him ..... it took no effort at all, ever, and He has always been faithful , all the time, with everyone , and if ever it seems He is not, then something else is going on, whatever that may be. (sometimes it is just and wonderfully time for prayer for someone known or unknown, local or around the world - the prayers are needed and effective at the right time , by faith, and He knows and 'causes' or inspires prayer frequently)

Reactions: Elisha's Bear
Upvote 0

Elisha's Bear

Nov 24, 2019
NorthEast
✟10,642.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
1. As was the NEW Covenant Jer 31:31-33
Hi,
The new covenant was actually described and expressed as God's will for His people as early in the Bible as Deuteronomy, chapters 5 & 6. This is an excerpt from a paper I'm writing on the seal of God and the mark of the beast:

The Bible says in Deuteronomy, chapter 5 that the children of Israel requested that instead of their meeting with The Lord to hear His commands, Moses should go and talk with Him alone and bring the commands back to them, and that they would do all that The Lord commanded because they were afraid that the presence of The Lord would burn them up.

And upon hearing this request from Moses, The Lord said: “they have well said all that they have spoken” (v. 28), (perhaps suggesting that they might indeed be burned up because of their tendency toward disobedience, and that they would benefit from the services of the mediator, Moses (who, in this case, is symbolic of Christ, Himself).

But then, The Lord says something that, at first glance, seems a bit at odds with what He had said in the previous verse: “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” (v.29).

First He commends their insight, but then He laments their condition. Let’s see if we can clear this up by looking at another, nearby verse: “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:” (ch. 6, v. 6) Oh, so they have to be in the heart to be the most effective! Didn’t He say something about the heart in one of the other verses we looked at? “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” This is the essence of the new covenant: Conversion; new birth; etc.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi,
The new covenant was actually described and expressed as God's will for His people as early in the Bible as Deuteronomy, chapters 5 & 6. This is an excerpt from a paper I'm writing on the seal of God and the mark of the beast:

The Bible says in Deuteronomy, chapter 5 that the children of Israel requested that instead of their meeting with The Lord to hear His commands, Moses should go and talk with Him alone and bring the commands back to them, and that they would do all that The Lord commanded because they were afraid that the presence of The Lord would burn them up.

And upon hearing this request from Moses, The Lord said: “they have well said all that they have spoken” (v. 28), (perhaps suggesting that they might indeed be burned up because of their tendency toward disobedience, and that they would benefit from the services of the mediator, Moses (who, in this case, is symbolic of Christ, Himself).

But then, The Lord says something that, at first glance, seems a bit at odds with what He had said in the previous verse: “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” (v.29).

First He commends their insight, but then He laments their condition. Let’s see if we can clear this up by looking at another, nearby verse: “And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:” (ch. 6, v. 6) Oh, so they have to be in the heart to be the most effective! Didn’t He say something about the heart in one of the other verses we looked at? “O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!” This is the essence of the new covenant: Conversion; new birth; etc.

Amen and amen. The Law on the heart is indeed an OT theme and it is the "one Gospel" of Gal 1:6-9 "preached to Abraham" Gal 3:8 for the "Gospel as been preached to us just as it was to them also" Heb 4:2

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Der Alter said:
Isaiah 56:4-6
(4) For thus saith the LORD concerning the eunuchs that keep My sabbaths, and choose the things that please Me, and hold fast by My covenant:
(5) Even unto them will I give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting memorial, that shall not be cut off.
(6) Also the aliens, that join themselves to the LORD, to minister unto Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from profaning it, and holdeth fast by My covenant:

But it does NOT say "to keep from profaning the sabbath" lets read it again.

Also the aliens, that join themselves to the LORD, to minister unto Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from profaning it, and holdeth fast by My covenant:

NASB: “Also the foreigners who join themselves to the Lord,
To minister to Him, and to love the name of the Lord,
To be His servants, every one who keeps from profaning the Sabbath
And holds fast My covenant;

NKJV: “Also the sons of the foreigner
Who join themselves to the Lord, to serve Him,
And to love the name of the Lord, to be His servants—
Everyone who keeps from defiling the Sabbath,
And holds fast My covenant—

That is NOT a command

On the contrary - God always commands man to not profane the holy things of the Lord. What the Lord sets apart as holy - is never to be profaned by man.

When Moses meets God in the desert at the burning bush - that ground is made holy by the presence of God and Moses was not allowed to profane it - to treat it as common ground. To profane (which is to treat as common) that which God "makes holy" is always a sin. This fact is irrefutable.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also the aliens, that join themselves to the LORD, to minister unto Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from profaning it, and holdeth fast by My covenant:
On the contrary - God always commands man to not profane the holy things of the Lord. What the Lord sets apart as holy - is never to be profaned by man.
When Moses meets God in the desert at the burning bush - that ground is made holy by the presence of God and Moses was not allowed to profane it - to treat it as common ground. To profane (which is to treat as common) that which God "makes holy" is always a sin. This fact is irrefutable.
And you continue to twist the scripture in question to make it support your assumptions/presuppositions.
The KJV does NOT say "Everyone SHALL keep from defiling the Sabbath."
The NASB does NOT say ,"every one SHALL keep from profaning the Sabbath!"
The NKJV does NOT say "Everyone SHALL keep from defiling the Sabbath!"
Those are commands. Maybe you can understand it this way.

(4) "thus saith the LORD concerning [] the aliens, that join themselves to the LORD, to minister unto Him, and to love the name of the LORD, to be His servants, every one that keepeth the Sabbath from profaning it, and holdeth fast by My covenant:
(5) Even unto them will I give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting memorial, that shall not be cut off."
Everyone who does X "will I give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting memorial, that shall not be cut off."
The converse is "Everyone who does NOT do X "will I NOT give in My house and within My walls a monument and a memorial better than sons and daughters; I will NOT give them an everlasting memorial."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

5 Even to them I will give in My house
And within My walls a place and a name
Better than that of sons and daughters;
I will give them an everlasting name
That shall not be cut off.

Isaiah 56 - blessing on those who choose not to profane the things of God - specifically God's Sabbath.

6 “Also the sons of the foreigner
7 Even them I will bring to My holy mountain,
And make them joyful in My house of prayer.
Their burnt offerings and their sacrifices
Will be accepted on My altar;
For My house shall be called a house of prayer for all nations.”
8 The Lord God, who gathers the outcasts of Israel, says,
“Yet I will gather to him
Others besides those who are gathered to him.”

And you continue to twist the scripture in question to make it support your assumptions/presuppositions.

The mere quote of the text is sufficient cause to give rise to your strong objection.

The point remains.

The KJV does NOT say "Everyone SHALL keep from defiling the Sabbath."
The NASB does NOT say ,"every one SHALL keep from profaning the Sabbath!"
The NKJV does NOT say "Everyone SHALL keep from defiling the Sabbath!"

A distinction without a difference.

There is NO command in scripture to profane what God calls holy

The Isaiah 56 text is a blessing upon those who choose not to profane that which God declares to be holy and sanctified - set apart for God.

were we simply "not supposed to notice"??

The point remains

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟991,946.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The point remains
You have no point as I have pointed out which you refuse to see. There is a distinction and a difference between "You shall do 'X'" and "The man who does 'X' I will give certain things." he converse of the latter is "The man who does NOT do 'X' I will not give certain things."

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟899,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
You have no point as I have pointed out which you refuse to see.

There is no difference between "blessed are those who keep from profaning what I have made holy, sanctified, they shall be welcome in my house of prayer"

And "they are not blessed who choose to profane that which I have sanctified, made holy, set apart for sacred use"

And we all know it.

That part of the discussion is not even remotely limited to "just a day of worship topic"

What part of this is even "difficult"??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rod That Budded

Dec 16, 2019
Philadelphia
✟810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Where in all of scripture does God require anyone except Israel to observe a day?
From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD. Isaiah 66:23

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

kcnalp

May 2, 2019
Indy area
✟12,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
The Sabbath was given specifically to the children of Israel as an eternal covenant.
Exodus 31:16 Wherefore the children of Israel shall keep the sabbath, to observe the sabbath throughout their generations, for a perpetual covenant.
Leviticus 24:8 Every sabbath he shall set it in order before the LORD continually, being taken from the children of Israel by an everlasting covenant.
Exactly! There are no Sabbath commands in the NT.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD. Isaiah 66:23
Welcome to the forum. I find that Methodists are very non judgemental great Christians. I love to worship with them. In fact I grew up as a Methodist.

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant past and present not what we may do in Heaven. By the way, Can we trust Isaiah to mean the Heaven awaiting the redeemed? Verse 24 tells us we then will go out and walk among the dead bodies that the worms are still feasting on. Read Is 65 starting with verse 17 and then critique Your post.

‘See, I will create
new heavens and a new earth.
The former things will not be remembered,
nor will they come to mind. (see Is 66:24 seems if we walk among the dead bodies we would have to remember why they are there.)

18 But be glad and rejoice for ever
in what I will create,
for I will create Jerusalem to be a delight
and its people a joy.
19 I will rejoice over Jerusalem
and take delight in my people;
the sound of weeping and of crying
will be heard in it no more.

20 ‘Never again will there be in it
an infant who lives but a few days, (see below)

or an old man who does not live out his years;
the one who dies at a hundred
will be thought a mere child;

the one who fails to reach a hundred
will be considered accursed. (accursed in Heaven???)

21 They will build houses and dwell in them;
they will plant vineyards and eat their fruit.
22 No longer will they build houses and others live in them,
or plant and others eat.
For as the days of a tree,
so will be the days of my people; (even the Redwoods die)

my chosen ones will long enjoy
the work of their hands.
23 They will not labour in vain,
nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune; (see below)

for they will be a people blessed by the Lord,
they and their descendants with them.
24 Before they call I will answer;
while they are still speaking I will hear.
25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox,
and dust will be the serpent’s food.
They will neither harm nor destroy
on all my holy mountain,’
says the Lord.

Matthew 22:30
At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rod That Budded

Dec 16, 2019
Philadelphia
✟810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Can we trust Isaiah to mean the Heaven awaiting the redeemed?
Verse 22 could be taken as a stand-alone, isolated statement. The next verse need not be seen as specific to any timeframe. And in it, the observance of the Sabbath seems to extend to all mankind.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! There are no Sabbath commands in the NT.
Amen! The covenant given to Israel was also conditional. Ex 19:5-6 God was explaining to Moses that "IF" you keep my covenant I will.......... Israel failed miserably, but God had another plan. A new and better covenant with better promises not like the old one.

Notice the new covenant does not have the many ritual laws of the previous one. Our duty is not just nine commands found in the ten commandments. We are commanded not to hurt others in any way. We are commanded to love our fellow man as Jesus loves us. Jn15:10-14. Our hearts have to be right with God and we have to allow the Holy Spirit to do His work in us.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟656,769.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Verse 22 could be taken as a stand-alone, isolated statement. The next verse need not be seen as specific to any timeframe. And in it, the observance of the Sabbath seems to extend to all mankind.
Your explanation doesn't touch what my post reveals. The evidence from other verses are opposed to Isaiah's prophecy. Can we trust that Isaiah is referring to the same New Earth we have been told about? All I know is that Gentiles have never been asked to observe the Sabbath and ditto for Christians. Paul makes that very clear. We are not under the laws of the Sinai covenant. What happens in Heaven is yet to be revealed unless you think as Isaiah wrote that we will really not live forever. Trees do not live forever on this Earth.

Upvote 0

Rod That Budded

Dec 16, 2019
Philadelphia
✟810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Rod, I am wondering if you are studying with some Sabbath observing group? You seem to be defending the keeping of the Seventh-day Sabbath. The other thought is that you believe that Sunday is the Sabbath. Care to explain?
And you seem awfully anxious to dice up Scripture and the Sabbath. I believe I'll move on.

Upvote 0