The Sabbath of the TEN Commandments - for all mankind (V2)

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Very often we have debate and differences on the Sabbath and LAW -- but now and then some Bible details surface that are so incredibly obvious - that scholarship on BOTH sides freely admit to them.

That will be our focus in this thread - so this could be pretty easy for all to find some level of agreement.

Some are interested in this teaching in the Bible about the 7th day Sabbath of the Ten Commandments being for all mankind. (as opposed to the Sabbath of the TEN Commandments being temporary or merely ceremonial).

1. When stating that the Bible Sabbath of the Ten Commandments is part of the moral law of God and is applicable to all mankind I am stating a Bible detail so obvious that all major Christian denominations agree - the TEN are part of the moral law of God written on the heart (see the "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19 and the "Westminster Confession of Faith" section 19 and the Catholic Catechism on the TEN Commandments... etc)

2. Isaiah 56:6-8 specifically singles out gentiles for Sabbath keeping.

3. In the NT we see gentiles keeping Sabbath in Acts 13, 17 and 18

4. in Isaiah 66:23 for all eternity in the New Heavens and New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship".

If anyone feels this is not a valid thread topic or content for "Sabbath and the Law forum" - please contact me.

==============================

Now lets review Bible details

Ex 20
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Genesis 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

No wonder then that God says that for all eternity in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

-- cyclic time -- from Sabbath to Sabbath (one type of cycle) AND "from new moon to new moon" two different cycles.. so then most certainly not "daily"

In fact there is no text in all of scripture where "from Sabbath to Sabbath" means "every day" and we all know it

"From year to year" does not mean 'every day of the year' -- in any text in all of scripture
And "from Sabbath to Sabbath" does not mean every day of the year or every day of the week.

As we all know.

Example - feast of unleavened bread
Exodus 13:10
You shall therefore keep this ordinance in its season from year to year.

Judges 21:19
19 So they said, “Behold, there is a feast of the Lord from year to year in Shiloh, which is on the north side of Bethel, on the east side of the highway that goes up from Bethel to Shechem, and on the south side of Lebonah.

1 Sam 2:19
19 And his mother would make him a little robe and bring it to him from year to year when she would come up with her husband to offer the yearly sacrifice.

did not mean "every day of the year" as we all know.

Since I keep referring to these documents in my signature line.... a thread to look at the topic.

section 19 of the "Baptist Confession of Faith".

Also section 19 of the "Westminster Confession of Faith".

They both affirm that the "TEN Commandments" are included in the "moral law of God" AND are included in that law written on the heart under the NEW Covenant. All TEN.

See the paragraph below from the Baptist Confession,

The Baptist Confession of Faith (1689)

Section 19

19. The Law of God
  1. God gave to Adam a law of universal obedience which was written in his heart, and He gave him very specific instruction about not eating the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. By this Adam and all his descendants were bound to personal, total, exact, and perpetual obedience, being promised life upon the fulfilling of the law, and threatened with death upon the breach of it. At the same time Adam was endued with power and ability to keep it.

2. The same law that was first written in the heart of man continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness after the Fall, and was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai in the Ten Commandments, and written in two tables, the first four containing our duty towards God, and the other six, our duty to man.

3. Besides this law, commonly called the moral law, God was pleased do give the people of Israel ceremonial laws containing several typical ordinances. These ordinances were partly about their worship, and in them Christ was prefigured along with His attributes and qualities, His actions, His sufferings and His benefits. These ordinances also gave instructions about different moral duties. All of these ceremonial laws were appointed only until the time of reformation, when Jesus Christ the true Messiah and the only lawgiver, Who was furnished with power from the Father for this end, cancelled them and took them away.

4. To the people of Israel He also gave sundry judicial laws which expired when they ceased to be a nation. These are not binding on anyone now by virtue of their being part of the laws of that nation, but their general equity continue to be applicable in modern times.

5. The moral law ever binds to obedience everyone, justified people as well as others, and not only out of regard for the matter contained in it, but also out of respect for the authority of God the Creator, Who gave the law. Nor does Christ in the Gospel dissolve this law in any way, but He considerably strengthens our obligation to obey it.

6. Although true believers are not under the law as a covenant of works, to be justified or condemned by it, yet it is of great use to them as well as to others, because as a rule of life it informs them of the will of God and their duty and directs and binds them to walk accordingly. It also reveals and exposes the sinful pollutions of their natures, hearts and lives, and using it for self-examination they may come to greater conviction of sin, greater humility and greater hatred of their sin. They will also gain a clearer sight of their need of Christ and the perfection of His own obedience. It is of further use to regenerate people to restrain their corruptions, because of the way in which it forbids sin. The threatenings of the law serve to show what their sins actually deserve, and what troubles may be expected in this life because of these sins even by regenerate people who are freed from the curse and undiminished rigours of the law. The promises connected with the law also show believers God's approval of obedience, and what blessings they may expect when the law is kept and obeyed, though blessing will not come to them because they have satisfied the law as a covenant of works. If a man does good and refrains from evil simply because the law encourages to the good and deters him from the evil, that is no evidence that he is under the law rather than under grace.

7. The aforementioned uses of the law are not contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but they sweetly comply with it, as the Spirit of Christ subdues and enables the will of man to do freely and cheerfully those things which the will of God, which is revealed in the law, requires to be done.
=================================

Notice the "details" in the "Baptist Confession of Faith" that you speak of --

1. TEN Commandments included in the LAW of God given to mankind in Eden.
2. SAME law given at Sinai as the MORAL Law of God.
3. That law binds all mankind after the cross and before it.
4. It is perfectly consistent with grace and therefore the Gospel
5. Laws OTHER than the TEN commandments were given to Israel and those other laws included the ceremonial laws - which are no longer in place after the cross.

The Westminster Confession of Faith - section 19 makes the SAME 5 points.

===============

Is it any wonder then that my signature line includes this --

I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm all ten of the Ten Commandments for Christians written on the heart and mind under the New Covenant of Jer 31:31-33.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

Westminster Confession of Faith

Westminster Confession of Faith

Chapter XIX
Of the Law of God
I. God gave to Adam a law, as a covenant of works, by which he bound him and all his posterity, to personal, entire, exact, and perpetual obedience, promised life upon the fulfilling, and threatened death upon the breach of it, and endued him with power and ability to keep it.

II. This law, after his fall, continued to be a perfect rule of righteousness; and, as such, was delivered by God upon Mount Sinai, in Ten Commandments, and written in two tables: the first four commandments containing our duty towards God; and the other six, our duty to man.

III. Besides this law, commonly called moral, God was pleased to give to the people of Israel, as a church under age, ceremonial laws, containing several typical ordinances, partly of worship, prefiguring Christ, his graces, actions, sufferings, and benefits; and partly, holding forth divers instructions of moral duties. All which ceremonial laws are now abrogated, under the New Testament.

IV. To them also, as a body politic, he gave sundry judicial laws, which expired together with the State of that people; not obliging under any now, further than the general equity thereof may require.

V. The moral law does forever bind all, as well justified persons as others, to the obedience thereof; and that, not only in regard of the matter contained in it, but also in respect of the authority of God the Creator, who gave it. Neither does Christ, in the Gospel, any way dissolve, but much strengthen this obligation.

VI. Although true believers be not under the law, as a covenant of works, to be thereby justified, or condemned; yet is it of great use to them, as well as to others; in that, as a rule of life informing them of the will of God, and their duty, it directs and binds them to walk accordingly; discovering also the sinful pollutions of their nature, hearts and lives; so as, examining themselves thereby, they may come to further conviction of, humiliation for, and hatred against sin, together with a clearer sight of the need they have of Christ, and the perfection of his obedience. It is likewise of use to the regenerate, to restrain their corruptions, in that it forbids sin: and the threatenings of it serve to show what even their sins deserve; and what afflictions, in this life, they may expect for them, although freed from the curse thereof threatened in the law. The promises of it, in like manner, show them God's approbation of obedience,and what blessings they may expect upon the performance thereof: although not as due to them by the law as a covenant of works. So as, a man's doing good, and refraining from evil, because the law encourages to the one and deters from the other, is no evidence of his being under the law: and not under grace.

VII. Neither are the forementioned uses of the law contrary to the grace of the Gospel, but do sweetly comply with it; the Spirit of Christ subduing and enabling the will of man to do that freely, and cheerfully, which the will of God, revealed in the law, requires to be done.

Last edited:

Rubiks

proud libtard
Aug 14, 2012
United States
✟137,866.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul condemns the observance of "special days" in Galatians 4:10. The church in Galatia thought they needed to follow Jewish customs in order to know God. Paul says that is profoundly mistaken. In Galatians 5:4 he even says it cuts you off of Christ himself.

Sounds rather scary, don't you think?

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
in Galatians 4:10.

(Sorry, for the sake of this thread remaining I am not quoting anyone)

As for the idea that in Gal 4 Paul condemns the observance of "special days"

Paul defends ALL observance of Bible-approved Holy days in Romans 14 and condemns any attempt to condemn someone for observing even one of the Bible-approved annual holy days in Lev 23.

In Gal 4 - Paul condemns observance of ALL pagan days and condemns any observance of even one pagan day.

Dear reader -- Sounds rather scary, don't you think?

"There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Heb 4

For all eternity after the cross and in the new Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

And in Acts 18 it is "EVERY Sabbath" that Paul is preaching to gentiles - both Jews and gentiles in the Synagogue

They keep coming back Sabbath after Sabbath for more Gospel sermons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Paul condemns the observance of "special days" in Galatians 4:10. The church in Galatia thought they needed to follow Jewish customs in order to know God. Paul says that is profoundly mistaken. In Galatians 5:4 he even says it cuts you off of Christ himself.

I wonder if not stealing, killing or what not would cut us off from Christ?

Upvote 0

Semper-Fi

Site Supporter
May 26, 2019
Pacific north west
✟407,165.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
10Ye observe days, and months,
"and times", and years.

AN OBSERVER OF TIMES

GAL.4:8-11
[8] Howbeit then, when ye knew not God, ye did service unto them which by nature are no gods.[9] But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage?

[10] YE OBSERVE DAYS, AND MONTHS, AND TIMES, AND YEARS.[11] I am afraid of you, lest I have bestowed upon you labour in vain.

These are not Jews observing Judaism, these are those who are of the world in Asia Minor observing the weak and beggarly elements of the world,not Judaism.

Its speaking of those who observe times, it says nothing about Sabbaths or feast days.

DEUT.18:9-11
[9] When thou art come into the land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
[10] There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination,

OR AN OBSERVER OF TIMES, or an enchanter, or a witch,[11] Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.

2 CHRON.33:3-6
[3] For he built again the high places which Hezekiah his father had broken down, and he reared up altars for Baalim, and made groves, and worshipped all the host of heaven, and served them.
[4] Also he built altars in the house of the LORD, whereof the LORD had said, In Jerusalem shall my name be for ever.
[5] And he built altars for all the host of heaven in the two courts of the house of the LORD.
[6] And he caused his children to pass through the fire in the valley of the son of Hinnom:

ALSO HE OBSERVED TIMES, and used enchantments, and used witchcraft, and dealt with a familiar spirit, and with wizards: he wrought much evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger

Enchantments, witchcraft, familiar spirits, and wizards. Its speaking of the occult. Not about following Gods Holy sabbath days.

LEV.19
[26] Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, (NOR OBSERVE TIMES).

[27] Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD. Do not prostitute thy daughter, to cause her to be a harlot; lest the land fall to whoredom, and the land become full of wickedness.

[30] (YE SHALL KEEP MY SABBATHS), and reverence my sanctuary: I am the LORD.

-You shall not observe times, BUT you
shall keep my sabbaths says the Lord.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
(Sorry, for the sake of this thread remaining I am not quoting anyone)

As for the idea that in Gal 4 Paul condemns the observance of "special days"

Paul defends ALL observance of Bible-approved Holy days in Romans 14 and condemns any attempt to condemn someone for observing even one of the Bible-approved annual holy days in Lev 23.

In Gal 4 - Paul condemns observance of ALL pagan days and condemns any observance of even one pagan day.

Dear reader -- Sounds rather scary, don't you think?

"There REMAINS therefore a Sabbath rest for the people of God" Heb 4

For all eternity after the cross and in the new Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship" Is 66:23

And in Acts 18 it is "EVERY Sabbath" that Paul is preaching to gentiles - both Jews and gentiles in the Synagogue

They keep coming back Sabbath after Sabbath for more Gospel sermons.

Colossians 2:16 "Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— 17things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ. 18Let no one keep defrauding you of your prize by delighting in self-abasement and the worship of the angels, taking his stand on visions he has seen, inflated without cause by his fleshly mind, 19and not holding fast to the head, from whom the entire body, being supplied and held together by the joints and ligaments, grows with a growth which is from God.

Judge all you like, I refuse to accept it.

1 Timothy 1: 8But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, 9realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers 10and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, 11according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted.

I have already come to Christ. He is my righteousness. I have no righteousness apart from Him.

Mark 2:27 Then he said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath. ...

Romans 4: 13For the promise to Abraham or to his descendants that he would be heir of the world was not through the Law, but through the righteousness of faith. 14For if those who are of the Law are heirs, faith is made void and the promise is nullified; 15for the Law brings about wrath, but where there is no law, there also is no violation.

All of Galatians 3 refutes your misinterpretation of the Word of God.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Being very careful in this thread not to mention or quote anyone so the thread is not deleted.

Some are interested in this teaching in the Bible about the 7th day Sabbath of the Ten Commandments being for all mankind. (as opposed to the Sabbath of the TEN Commandments being temporary or merely ceremonial).

1. When stating that the Bible Sabbath of the Ten Commandments is part of the moral law of God and is applicable to all mankind I am stating a Bible detail so obvious that all major Christian denominations agree - the TEN are part of the moral law of God written on the heart (see the "Baptist Confession of Faith" sectn 19 and the "Westminster Confession of Faith" section 19 and the Catholic Catechism on the TEN Commandments... etc)

4. in Isaiah 66:23 for all eternity in the New Heavens and New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL MANKIND come before Me to worship".

If anyone feels this is not a valid thread topic or content for "Sabbath and the Law forum" - please contact me.

Ex 20
8 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. 9 Six days you shall labor and do all your work, 10 but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. 11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Genesis 2
Thus the heavens and the earth, and all the host of them, were finished. 2 And on the seventh day God ended His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done. 3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

No wonder then that God says that for all eternity in the New Earth "from Sabbath to Sabbath shall ALL mankind come before Me to worship" Is 66:23
agreed, the sabbath is for all mankind but we limit the sabbath when we stuff it all in one day. Is God's rest only for 1 day of the week? The Sabbath day points to Christ and it is he we should be looking to in order to get our Sabbath rest, not a day.

the sabbath rest by observing a day cannot be fulfilled. the logical end of "work" goes to our very breath violating the sabbath and if we are guilty of just a small part of it the entire thing is void so our efforts are in vain without ever satisfying the law. One who obverse the sabbath is as guilty as one who does not if he was breathing, since we all are breathing we are all guilty. The only way to fully satisfy it is by dying before the sabbath begins then resurrecting after the sabbath was over. Can you think of one that has done just that? The Lord of the Sabbath of course so look to his efforts not our own (because our own will always fail)

Honouring God through a day is a good thing but in order to have the rest of God that day can't help us and we must look to Christ to get it and this is regardless of how a day is observed or how it's not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Being very careful in this thread not to mention or quote anyone so the thread is not deleted.

Ex 20

Genesis 2

The unchangeable requirement is that we be holy as God is holy. Unless our behaviour and conduct is as holy as God is, we are under a curse.

• Winner
Reactions: BobRyan
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
The unchangeable requirement is that we be holy as God is holy. Unless our behaviour and conduct is as holy as God is, we are under a curse.
Good luck with that. The only person as holy as God is God. I am glad that I do not have to try to be holy. Lord Jesus is my holiness. And my righteousness. And my love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, kindness and self control. I died with Christ. I rose again to new life. When God looks at me, He sees Jesus, because I died and my life is hidden in Him. I have been redeemed from the curse of the Law. Lord Jesus represents me to God. I am clothed in Him. If I do sin, I have an advocate with the Father, my Lord Jesus. His precious blood pays for all my sin, failure, defeat and for everywhere that I fall short of God's glory. If you want to live under a curse, feel free. Me, I prefer God's eternal mercy and grace.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Good luck with that. The only person as holy as God is God. I am glad that I do not have to try to be holy. Lord Jesus is my holiness. And my righteousness. And my love, joy, peace, patience, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, kindness and self control. I died with Christ. I rose again to new life. When God looks at me, He sees Jesus, because I died and my life is hidden in Him. I have been redeemed from the curse of the Law. Lord Jesus represents me to God. I am clothed in Him. If I do sin, I have an advocate with the Father, my Lord Jesus. His precious blood pays for all my sin, failure, defeat and for everywhere that I fall short of God's glory. If you want to live under a curse, feel free. Me, I prefer God's eternal mercy and grace.
Unless you are as holy and perfect as God, then according to God's Law you are under a curse. This is why trying to follow the law brings death, because the Scripture says that no person is justified by following the Law. This is because justification through the Law is absolutely impossible for us.

But the purpose of the Law is to show us our total sinfulness, and our guilt before God. This is why the preaching of the gospel should start with the Law, to show sinners that they are sinners, are guilty before God and their only future is judgment and condemnation, which, for someone who is open to God, should generate intense fear. Then, the gospel of Christ is presented that gives them the good news that not only is Jesus their judge, but also their Saviour if they put their trust in Him and believe His salvation promises.

The trouble is with much evangelistic preaching is that they present Christ as the Saviour first, and sinners don't know what they are being saved from, so they don't get a clear realisation of their sinfulness, guilt and impending judgment. They are not shown that they have to flee from the wrath to come. This causes easy believers who often fall away from the faith after a time because they never develop the intense fear of God that causes them to stick closely to Christ by faith.

I'm probably preaching to the choir I know, but it helps me articulate what the true gospel really is, so I don't make the error of preaching a false gospel that shows a different Jesus than the Jesus of the gospels.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Unless you are as holy and perfect as God, then according to God's Law you are under a curse. This is why trying to follow the law brings death, because the Scripture says that no person is justified by following the Law. This is because justification through the Law is absolutely impossible for us.

But the purpose of the Law is to show us our total sinfulness, and our guilt before God. This is why the preaching of the gospel should start with the Law, to show sinners that they are sinners, are guilty before God and their only future is judgment and condemnation, which, for someone who is open to God, should generate intense fear. Then, the gospel of Christ is presented that gives them the good news that not only is Jesus their judge, but also their Saviour if they put their trust in Him and believe His salvation promises.

The trouble is with much evangelistic preaching is that they present Christ as the Saviour first, and sinners don't know what they are being saved from, so they don't get a clear realisation of their sinfulness, guilt and impending judgment. They are not shown that they have to flee from the wrath to come. This causes easy believers who often fall away from the faith after a time because they never develop the intense fear of God that causes them to stick closely to Christ by faith.

I'm probably preaching to the choir I know, but it helps me articulate what the true gospel really is, so I don't make the error of preaching a false gospel that shows a different Jesus than the Jesus of the gospels.
Agree absolutely. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Then perfect love casts out fear. However, a healthy reverence for God is necessary otherwise people get careless. When I asked the Lord why so many Christians fall away, He replied "The parable of the sower". At the time I was wondering where the leadership was going wrong. There is nothing wrong with the "seed". The sower is not the issue. It is the heart condition of the hearer that counts.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Genesis 2

Ex 20:10 "the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (yhwh)"
Ex 16 "tomorrow IS the Sabbath"
agreed, the sabbath is for all mankind but we limit the sabbath when we stuff it all in one day. Is God's rest only for 1 day of the week? .

An exact contradiction of the text is not the best way to establish a given POV.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Ex 20:11 For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.

Genesis 2

Ex 20:10 "the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD (yhwh)"
Ex 16 "tomorrow IS the Sabbath"

An exact contradiction of the text is not the best way to establish a given POV.
I see you ignore the rest (no pun intended). There is a logical problem that we are unable to satisfy the requirement of the sabbath and the best of us are as guilty of violating the sabbath as the worst of us. "work" goes beyond lifting heavy objects and the logical end eventually points to the mechanics of our own body. As long as our body is still "working" we cannot fulfill the sabbath. We would need to die before the sabbath then be resurrected when it was over. Can you think of someone who has done this? This is a shadow of the death and resurrection of Christ and it is in him where we obtain our sabbath rest, even if we don't even count the sabbath day. observing a day to give glory to God should not be discouraged but such an act can not give us God's rest because we are unable to and require Christ. But if we remove the observance of the day we still get access to God's rest through Christ.

using an equation it's simple

1. Christ = rest
2. Sabbath + Christ = rest
3. Sabbath ≠ rest (it cannot accomplish this without Christ)
4. Christ - Sabbath = rest (Christ without the observance of the Sabbath still gets the rest so repeat 1)

What's the conclusion? That we must obverse the sabbath? The only constant to obtaining God's rest is Christ, not the sabbath day. Obverse the sabbath, it is a good thing when we do so to give glory to God but know that this observance does not give you God's rest and Christ is still the only one who can do this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Agree absolutely. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom. Then perfect love casts out fear. However, a healthy reverence for God is necessary otherwise people get careless. When I asked the Lord why so many Christians fall away, He replied "The parable of the sower". At the time I was wondering where the leadership was going wrong. There is nothing wrong with the "seed". The sower is not the issue. It is the heart condition of the hearer that counts.
There's nothing wrong with the leadership or the gospel.
John said that "they went out from us because they were not of us. If they were of us, they would have stayed with us, but because they were not of us, they went out from us". He was talking about his experience of seeing most of the many disciples and followers of Jesus depart from Him when He told them that it was not enough to follow Him because of the miracles, healing, and free lunches, but to be true disciples they would have to identify with His death and be prepared to take up their cross daily and even give their lives if necessary. What John was saying was that these disciples walked away from the Jesus, because they were never true disciples in the first place.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Ex 20

Genesis 2

I see you ignore the rest (no pun intended).

I find your logic "illusive" just then - care to explain your meaning?

We would need to die before the sabbath then be resurrected when it was over.

Paul says in Romans 8:4-10 that it is only the lost that "do not submit to the Law of God neither indeed CAN they submit to it" and in Romans 8 he contrasts that to the saints.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

putting a word in quotations carries a contextual meaning. Since it's not obvious what the context is you'll need to explain what you mean by it before I can comment on how my logic agrees with it. (plus I think you mean "elusive")

Paul says in Romans 8:4-10 that it is only the lost that "do not submit to the Law of God neither indeed CAN they submit to it" and in Romans 8 he contrasts that to the saints.

Paul uses "God's law" lots. In 1 Cor 9 he uses it to contrast the Jewish law saying:

to the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law. To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God’s law but am under Christ’s law), so as to win those not having the law.

Paul uses the word law lots and in Romans 8 alone we see the "law of the Spirit", "law of sin", "law", and "God's law" all being used. so which is which and how are you defending Paul's use of God's law inclusive the 4th commandment?

You still have a problem you seem to refuse to comment on. We are unable to satisfy the 4th commandment. Not even once in a lifetime. So how are we to get God's rest?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

How do you explain the Scripture, "Now we know that whatever the law says, it says to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be silenced and the whole world held accountable to God. Therefore no one will be justified in His sight by works of the Law. For the Law merely brings awareness of sin" (Romans 3:19-20).

And:
"We who are Jews by birth and not Gentile ‘sinners’ know that a man is not justified by works of the Law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.So we, too, have believed in Christ Jesus, that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the Law, because by works of the Law no one will be justified" (Galatians 2:15-16).

Does this mean that you have cut these verses out of your Bible??

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟663,150.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ritual laws (including the ritual weekly Sabbath) found in the Torah were only sinful to those they were given. Christians are not under the ritual laws of the Sinai covenant so how could those now-defunct laws cause us to sin? Laws dealing with morality are forever no matter where they are found.

Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married

Ex 20

Genesis 2

I see you ignore the rest (no pun intended).

you'll need to explain what you mean by it before I can comment on how my logic agrees with it.

Well "I see me" providing the reference to "rest" in Ex 20 in the OP for this thread... and I "see you" claiming that there is no reference to rest in my statements on this thread.

I am simply asking that you explain.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟912,862.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Ritual laws (including the ritual weekly Sabbath) found in the Torah were only sinful to those they were given.

Interesting creative writing.

Meanwhile --

I am glad these Sunday sources all affirm all ten of the Ten Commandments for Christians.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism. :groupray:

And of course 7th day groups

Reactions: Andre_b
Upvote 0