The Sabbath of the TEN Commandments - for all mankind (V2)

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me," says the LORD. Isaiah 66:23

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I meant past and present not what we may do in Heaven.

He gave you the Bible answer for "all eternity after the cross - all mankind ... in the new earth" keeping Sabbath.

Just as we see Sabbath specifically for gentiles in Isaiah 56:6 who choose not to profane the sacred things of God.

Reactions: Andre_b
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi Rod, I am wondering if you are studying with some Sabbath observing group? You seem to be defending the keeping of the Seventh-day Sabbath.

Is a good defense of scripture a good thing in your POV?

Upvote 0

Rod That Budded

Dec 16, 2019
Philadelphia
✟810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Exactly! There are no Sabbath commands in the NT.
There are no commands against taking the Lord's name in vain, either. There are only 3 verses that are commonly used as references to the 3rd commandment: One is not a command at all; one is about the general conduct of converted slaves; and the third is specifically about swearing oaths. Nowhere in the New Testament is found the general command against taking the Lord's name in vain.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to know what the difference is for those who do not believe that the Sabbath, given only to Israel, is binding on Christians and Sabbath "keepers" that only give it lip service and don't really keep it. How about SDAs who claim to keep the commandments of God and desecrate the commandment not to kill by ignoring it and abort living babies. Does the observance of the Sabbath cover your sin for not keeping the sixth commandment?

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are no commands against taking the Lord's name in vain, either. There are only 3 verses that are commonly used as references to the 3rd commandment: One is not a command at all; one is about the general conduct of converted slaves; and the third is specifically about swearing oaths. Nowhere in the New Testament is found the general command against taking the Lord's name in vain.
While you are at it why not include that there are no commands in the 10 commandments about loving others or loving God. The New Testament is filled with admonition to love. If we keep the Royal Law of Love we will not take the name of God in vain. We will do nothing to harm anyone. We certainly will not kill babies in the womb!

The fact is the 10 commandments left out almost all of the "Thou shalt nots" as how to treat our fellow man. The book of the Law which was just as important as the 10 somehow have been excused by those who tell us the law has yet to be fulfilled. The jot and tittle part of Jesus words have been totally ignored by the ten commandment keepers who set aside the laws in the Book.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
There are no commands against taking the Lord's name in vain, either.

Exactly right!

True - and you never seen any statement about "loving God with all your heart" after the cross. Christ refers to it once in Matthew 22 and after that ... nothing.

Thus the "made up rule" that is of the form "whatever is not repeated in the word of God - must be deleted" is totally bogus. And we all know it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
While you are at it why not include that there are no commands in the 10 commandments about loving others or loving God. The New Testament is filled with admonition to love. .

No reference in the NT to loving God with all your heart - after the cross.

Thus the "made up rule" that is of the form "whatever is not repeated in the word of God - must be deleted" is totally bogus. And we all know it.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
The fact is the 10 commandments left out almost all of the "Thou shalt nots" .

James 2 "attack one.. attack them all"

Notice how "attack one" quickly morphed into "attack them all" and go after the "Ten Commandments" as IF they are "left out"??

the fact is that the Ten Commandments are included in Eph 6:2 as we are reminded that in that still-valid "unit of ten" the command to honor parents "is the FIRST commandment with a promise" - a statement that is only true within that context. Obviously.

No wonder then that we have
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
"This IS LOVE OF GOD - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
"if you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
"LOVE Me and KEEP My Commandments" Ex 20:6

"Thou shalt not kill" even babies in the womb!

So then you DO approve of the TEN after all?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I would like to know what the difference is for those who do not believe that the Sabbath, given only to Israel, is binding on Christians and Sabbath "keepers" that only give it lip service

I would like to know what the difference is between those who do not believe that the Sabbath is binding on Christians - and those who join Christ in affirming the Commandments of God including the Sabbath - when it comes to "following the teaching of Christ".

Even these pro-sunday groups do not go out of their way to attack God's Commandments.

The Baptist Confession of Faith,
the Westminster Confession of Faith ,
D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
Eastern Orthodox Catechism
The Catholic Catechism.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly right!

True - and you never seen any statement about "loving God with all your heart" after the cross. Christ refers to it once in Matthew 22 and after that ... nothing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Notice how "attack one" quickly morphed into "attack them all" and go after the "Ten Commandments" as IF they are "left out"??

the fact is that the Ten Commandments are included in Eph 6:2 as we are reminded that in that still-valid "unit of ten" the command to honor parents "is the FIRST commandment with a promise" - a statement that is only true within that context. Obviously.

No wonder then that we have
"what matters is KEEPING the Commandments of God" 1 Cor 7:19
"This IS LOVE OF GOD - that we KEEP His Commandments" 1 John 5:3
"the saints KEEP the Commandments of God AND their faith in Jesus" Rev 14:12
"if you LOVE Me KEEP My Commandments" John 14:15
"LOVE Me and KEEP My Commandments" Ex 20:6

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to know what the difference is between those who do not believe that the Sabbath is binding on Christians - and those who join Christ in affirming the Commandments of God including the Sabbath - when it comes to "following the teaching of Christ".

Even these pro-sunday groups do not go out of their way to attack God's Commandments.

D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
The Catholic Catechism.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Laws dealing with morality are forever and for all mankind. Laws dealing with ritualism were only for the ones they were given to. Sabbath was one of the ritual laws given only to Israel and ended with the ratifying of the new covenant with the Blood of our Savior.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Laws dealing with morality are forever and for all mankind.

Interesting that you are now agreeing with the majority of Christianity on that point. Nice.

D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
The Catholic Catechism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rod That Budded

Dec 16, 2019
Philadelphia
✟810.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
I would like to know what the difference is for those who do not believe that the Sabbath, given only to Israel, is binding on Christians and Sabbath "keepers" that only give it lip service and don't really keep it. How about SDAs who claim to keep the commandments of God and desecrate the commandment not to kill by ignoring it and abort living babies. Does the observance of the Sabbath cover your sin for not keeping the sixth commandment?
It's not grammatically clear, but you seem to be saying that since no one keeps the Sabbath perfectly they are somehow guilty of hypocrisy. To this I would say yes, that Adventists, like all Christians, are guilty of a great many things including hypocrisy, and that even as an Adventist, I was taught that all our righteousness was as filthy rags and that even our most shining moments, actuated by the Holy Ghost, Himself, were still tainted with selfish motives and had to be completely replaced with the record of Christ's perfect righteousness in the book of life.

Then you pose the question that faulty Sabbath "keeping" might somehow atone for the abortions performed in Adventist hospitals. Having once been a member of the church for over thirty years, I never ran into a single person who held such a position, including myself. I did, however, encounter many downtrodden souls who felt a deep sense of grief and guilt and even outrage over the practice of abortions taking place in the denominational healthcare system.
While you are at it why not include that there are no commands in the 10 commandments about loving others or loving God.
Because I was responding to a specific claim. I wasn't intending to address every eventuality of objecting to commandment-keeping at the time. Also, I see no reason to include something with which I do not agree at all.
If we keep the Royal Law of Love we will not take the name of God in vain.
This is not self-evident to new converts who might be accustomed to carelessness in speech. The Holy Spirit does not normally convict of sin which has not been pointed out as such. This is obvious by observing the growth in new Christians.
The fact is the 10 commandments left out almost all of the "Thou shalt nots" as how to treat our fellow man.
They are a foundational part of a whole (Scripture) which goes into more detail. It does not follow that we must throw out the baby with the bathwater.
The book of the Law which was just as important as the 10 somehow have been excused by those who tell us the law has yet to be fulfilled. The jot and tittle part of Jesus words have been totally ignored by the ten commandment keepers who set aside the laws in the Book.
The New Testament is filled with instruction that the Theocracy (especially including the typical sacrificial system) that was ancient Israel is no longer in place. Thus the laws specifically pertaining to it must also have become null and void.
Laws dealing with morality are forever and for all mankind. Laws dealing with ritualism were only for the ones they were given to. Sabbath was one of the ritual laws given only to Israel and ended with the ratifying of the new covenant with the Blood of our Savior.
I am not aware of any conclusive, comprehensive scriptural evidence for the position stated here, as a whole. Certainly, the first sentence by itself is without a doubt true. The addition of the remaining ones constructs a false conclusion.

Upvote 0

Bob S

Site Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Union County, TN
✟660,747.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So then you DO approve of the TEN after all?
They were God's gift to a nation without law. They never concerned Gentiles. God had His reason for giving Israel what He did. I do not question what God has done for Israel. I do question why some Christians consider the fact that Gentiles have never been under the laws of the Sinai covenant and now we are suppose to abide by that covenant when we have been given a better one. Even the ones who are pushing people into believing they have to abide by it are not setting a precedence. I know because I played the game for forty years. I know how people talk and what they do on the Sabbath. What does "keep" mean? What does "Holy" mean. Paul writes over and over the fact that we are not under the Law. Why do you refuse to believe? Does Ellen White have more power over you that the Holy Writ? Why are you playing the superficial game when you know that Paul wrote in 2Cor 3 that the ten commandments written on stone were done away, superseded with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as all mankind's guide? KJV

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
They were God's gift to a nation without law.

Where there is no law - there is no sin. Romans 4:15 -- you were thinking that they were 'sinless' before Sinai? seriously?

"SIN is crouching at your door but you must master it" Genesis 4.
"Sin IS transgression of the LAW" 1 John 3:4

pretty much all of Christianity willing to admit that the moral law of God existed in Eden and applies to all mankind. So that includes these folks.

D.L. Moody,
R.C Sproul,
Matthew Henry,
Thomas Watson
The Catholic Catechism.

• Agree
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
I do question why some Christians consider the fact that Gentiles have never been under the laws of the Sinai covenant and now we are suppose to abide by that covenant when we have been given a better one.

hint: they were all under the New Covenant while saved - and that puts the LAW of God on the heart in both Jer 31:31-33 and in Hebrews 8:6-11.

details matter.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟909,607.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Sabbath was one of the ritual laws given only to Israel

nope.

Gen 2:1-3 given to mankind - no ritual, and no Jews, no Israel
Ex 20:8-11 fourth commandment - no ritual
Is 66:23 Sabbath for all mankind for all eternity after the cross in the New Earth -- no ritual
Mark 2:27 Sabbath for all mankind
Lev 23:2-3 Sabbath a day of "holy convocation" but no ritual.

Is 56:6 - Gentiles specifically singled out for Sabbath keeping --

The point remains.

And details still matter.

Upvote 0