Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
If you want to be coddled, there are plenty of spaces on CF for just that.

Asking that everyone be treated with respect and consideration is wanting to be coddled? Strange, I thought that would be common decency.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Asking that everyone be treated with respect and consideration is wanting to be coddled? Strange, I thought that would be common decency.
Is there a distinction between difference of opinions and "persecution," in your mind?

Do you find those Christians who simply preach and quote scripture as an effective way to communicate?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
The Great Northern Wilderness
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Creationist: Evolution is false because there are no transitional fossils.

Evolutionist: Here are several hominid transitional fossils evidencing human evolution.

Creationist: You guys are being mean to me.

Interesting imaginary dialogue.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How about as typically used here by Christians here on CF, when the discussion doesn't seem to be going their way?
Used specifically to call you a fool? Yes...it is flaming.

Reactions: amariselle
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Disagreement with the content of your posts is not disrespectful. If you believe it is, i would imagine you struggle when people point out they disagree with you.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Is there a distinction between difference of opinions and "persecution," in your mind?

Did you not read what I wrote? I said I welcome difference of opinion and even debate. "Persecution" (which is a word I didn't actually even use here) is defined as:

"hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs."

When you don't share someone else's opinions, that does not automatically mean you must resort to "persecuting" them. Can we not disagree respectfully?

Do you find those Christians who simply preach and quote scripture as an effective way to communicate?

No actually I do not. If Scripture is quoted it should be for a purpose and to clarify or support what a person is saying on a particular topic.

Which is why I haven't quoted Scripture in this fashion.

Upvote 0

HitchSlap

PROUDLY PRIMATE
Aug 6, 2012
✟281,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Did you not read what I wrote? I said I welcome difference of opinion and even debate. "Persecution" (which is a word I didn't actually even use here) is defined as:

"hostility and ill-treatment, especially because of race or political or religious beliefs."

When you don't share someone else's opinions, that does not automatically mean you must resort to "persecuting" them. Can we not disagree respectfully?

No actually I do not. If Scripture is quoted it should be for a purpose and to clarify or support what a person is saying on a particular topic.

Which is why I haven't quoted Scripture in this fashion.
In your opinion, do you feel that Christians here at CF have done nothing to warrant some frustration and exasperation from non-believers, based on their conduct and responses?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Disagreement with the content of your posts is not disrespectful. If you believe it is, i would imagine you struggle when people point out they disagree with you.

Once again, I was not referring to disagreement with my posts. I was not even speaking of myself in particular. I was talking about forum violations due to blasphemy and mockery of the Christian faith, the Bible and God.

However, it does seem that many here cannot disagree without being disrespectful. Surely we're all old enough to disagree without resorting to flaming and personal insults? I thought we were anyway.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Once again, I was not referring to disagreement with my posts. I was not even speaking of myself in particular. I was talking about forum violations due to blasphemy and mockery of the Christian faith, the Bible and God.

However, it does seem that many here cannot disagree without being disrespectful. Surely we're all old enough to disagree without resorting to flaming and personal insults? I thought we were anyway.

is it blasphemy or mockery for a Christian to say that the Genesis account of creation is a myth? I know a few that would...

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
In your opinion, do you feel that Christians here at CF have done nothing to warrant some frustration and exasperation from non-believers, based on their conduct and responses?

I'm sure some of them have. Interestingly, it occurs nearly as much in the "Christian-only" sections that Christians are often told to remain in.

However, I have seen many Christians honestly attempting to answer a non-Christian's questions in a respectful way, and a second non-Christian will then chime in and mock the Christian for their answers.

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
is it blasphemy or mockery for a Christian to say that the Genesis account of creation is a myth? I know a few that would...

It is blasphemy to say that God didn't create the world and that such a belief is a fairytale.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Since you refuse to give specific examples of these claimed violations, this is just another unsupported claim.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Since you refuse to give specific examples of these claimed violations, this is just another unsupported claim.

Do you think it is respectful for me to call people out and start naming names?

I am not going to do that. That is why I gave general examples rather than quoting people directly. If I start behaving disrespectfully, then I too am violating forum rules. Not to mention that treating people in such a way is not what I am to do as a Christian.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟255,231.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
It is blasphemy to say that God didn't create the world and that such a belief is a fairytale.

That's not really how I worded the question, but ok.

So you think the Christians I know that would say the Genesis account is a myth are committing blasphemy?

If so, they would disagree with you.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Do you think it is respectful for me to call people out and start naming names?

I am not going to do that. That is why I gave general examples rather than quoting people directly. If I start behaving disrespectfully, then I too am violating forum rules. Not to mention that treating people in such a way is not what I am to do as a Christian.

I see no issue with calling people out directly for breaking forum rules. Why would there be a problem with that?

But is is ok, to indirectly accuse of breaking forum rules and not back it up?

Upvote 0

amariselle

Jesus Never Fails
Sep 28, 2004
✟60,500.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Do you believe the claims made by other religions to be fairy tales?

What I do or don't believe about other religions is irrelevant here. This is a Christian forum and as such it is not acceptable to call Christianity, the Bible, Jesus etc. a fairytale here.

However, I would never resort to insulting people of other faiths by telling them their beliefs are fairytales. And I have not once gone onto other forums that are dedicated to faiths different from my own just to attack people there and deride their religion. Nor have I done such things in person.

Honestly, what is the point in behaving that way? Do people who do such things really think they sound credible? All I hear is anger and hatred, and I am not at all inclined to consider such attacks as having any merit whatsoever. If someone really and truly believes that another person's religion is a fairytale, why do they think it is then a good idea to attack that person and their faith? If that is all they want to do, they would be much better off keeping their opinions and caustic remarks to themselves.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.