The lie of eternal security refuted once and for all.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I said this:
"Your mind has been made up already, and that's your freedom. But know this: eternal life is God's life. He is eternal life. And He gives His life to those who have believed in Jesus Christ for salvation.

The life that God gives is NOT revocable. He doesn't take it back. Nor can one lose it. They may lose their mind, but no one can lose the life that God gives. It is irrevocable.

Because of this, the Bible is clear on eternal security. Once given eternal life, always has eternal life. That's what OSAS really means. And that is eternal security."

Really? I've already pointed out exactly WHERE the Bible teaches this. Rom 6:23 and Rom 11:29. The gifts of God aren't different in these 2 verses. They are the same thing. You've not proven otherwise.

And I've refuted your views soundly. First, the word isn't "unchanged". It's irrevocable. Second, the gift is what is received, not just offered.

Eternal life IS the gift of God. And once received, it is IRREVOCABLE.

Okay, so let's say your right. This means that a person can continue to murder, rape, hate, fornicate, do drugs, and still be saved as long as they believe in Jesus, right? No? Well, even if the Eternal Security Proponent used the excuse that a true believer would never truly live a life like that, they still be teaching a doctrine of immorality because the VERY message that they would be preaching to others would give other people the wrong thinking that they can sin and still be saved (Whether the Eternal Security Proponent wants another person to sin or not). For when the OSAS Proponent says that a person can never lose their salvation by anything that they do, then they are going to think they CAN sin and still be saved (Thereby giving them a license to sin). For it's human nature to do that which is wrong. In fact, a false understanding on 1 John 1:8 is the Eternal Security Proponent's banner flag saying that they can continue in sin. Imagine the children that would hear this type of gospel message. What if the OSAS Proponent's message led children into sin? What does Jesus say is the punishment for that person who leads children into sin? It's not a happy ending, I can guarantee you that, my friend. That's the problem I have with Eternal Security (of which does not exist in the Bible). For Eternal Security ignores the goodness or morality of God (Which is wrong).

Do you not know that a child had committed suicide thinking they would be saved because of the teaching of Eternal Security?

Also, please take note that there are Eternal Security Proponents who do teach that they can sin as much as they want and still be saved. How can I tell the difference between your gospel message and their gospel message when preached to a crowd? Do you think they will openly preach their doctrine of immorality to gain new converts? I doubt it. My point is that the message I hear sounds exactly the same to me. It's a sin and still be saved doctrine. If that is not what you believe, then please explain it to me very slowly using Scripture. Convince me with God's Word that you do not believe in a sin and still be saved doctrine.

There is nothing in Rom 11 about loss of salvation. It's about loss of being in service to God. That was quite a shock to orthodox Jews, to think that God wasn't using them.

And, once again, eternal life IS the gift. Not the offer of eternal life. Eternal life itself. And once given, it is irrevocable.

It says the gifts and CALLING of God are unchangeable. It is talking to unsaved Israel (Which can be applied to all unsaved individuals). There are conditions to receiving God's gifts and in being called by God.

"For God's gifts and calling never change"
(Romans 11:29)
(International Standard Version).

What is the condition of a person who receives God's calling? Well, the "receiving of God's call" depends on the condition of their ears or their willingliness to come to God in spirit and in truth.

"For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them."
(Matthew 13:5).

God has a certain way of calling people and the conditon upon which they accept that calling will remain unchanged. This is not talking about AFTER what they will do AFTER having received the call.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I mean, do you honestly believe that God (Who is good) would condone sin? You have to if you believe in a sin and still be saved doctrine, my friend....
This is a red herring and straw man argument.

NO, God does NOT ever condone sin. That's not the issue. And the biblical knowledge of our sin nature and the fact that as long as we reside in our physical bodies we must struggle with sin in NO WAY means that we believe that God condones sin.

Your view is just a hopeful fantasy. But really it's hopeless, for as long as you reside in your physical body, you ARE corrupted with sin.

You cannot be sinless in this life. Which is why God cleanses those who sin (1 Jn 1:9). We can experience times when we aren't sinning, for sure. That's when we are filled with the Holy Spirit (Eph 5:18) and walking by means of the Holy Spirit (Gal 5:16).

However, those times when the believer either grieves the Spirit (Eph 4:30) or quenches the Spirit (1 Thess 5:19), they are sinning.

However, the only issue really left is the contradiction in your own views. Your claim is that a believer can achieve sinless perfection. Yet, you've admitted that you're not there yet. So by your own admission, you're not saved.

So, as one not yet saved, there is no authority to teach anyone else who is saved what the Bible says or means.

You preach a system that you yourself cannot meet. Yes, you hope to some day. But that creates another problem for you. For in that day that you believe you have achieved sinless perfection, 1 Jn 1:8 will apply directly to you.

For, to claim that you have attained sinless perfection is to say that you "have no sin", which is what 1 Jn 1:8 is about.

So, when you believe that day has come for you, just know this: you are what John described as being "self deceived and the truth is not in you".

So you're on a rather weird journey. When you get to where you think you you can get to, you'll be self deceived and have no truth.

Who on earth would take such a journey as that?

The Bible teaches that salvation is by faith in Christ, not in achieving sinless perfection. Which is impossible, given our sin natures.

Reactions: nobdysfool
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Okay, so let's say your right.
Finally. lol

This means that a person can continue to murder, rape, hate, fornicate, do drugs, and still be saved as long as they believe in Jesus, right? No?
Yep. Why? Because Christ died for ALL sins. Why do you think Christ died for sins, if sins will keep one out of heaven? How does that make any sense? It doesn't. Just because you're offended by the grace of God doesn't mean His grace is cancelled by your offendedness.

It is surely sad that the principle of grace is so misunderstood (or even outright rejected) by the conditional security crowd.

Grace means that God gives to humans what they DON'T deserve. And they don't get what they DO deserve. Do you understand this?

Well, even if the Eternal Security Proponent used the excuse that a true believer would never truly live a life like that, they still be teaching a doctrine of immorality because the VERY message that they would be preaching to others would give other people the wrong thinking that they can sin and still be saved (Whether the Eternal Security Proponent wants another person to sin or not).
No, it is that self deceived people come to such a silly conclusion. Or they have been deceived by the devil himself. Either way, doesn't matter. Being deceived is the problem with your unbiblical view.

For when the OSAS Proponent says that a person can never lose their salvation by anything that they do, then they are going to think they CAN sin and still be saved (Thereby giving them a license to sin).
I've addressed this before. No human needs such a license. lol The FACT that we HAVE a sin nature means we WILL sin. Bank on it. You've even admitted yourself that you haven't attained to sinless perfection. So, what's holding you up on that?

For it's human nature to do that which is wrong. In fact, a false understanding on 1 John 1:8 is the Eternal Security Proponent's banner flag saying that they can continue in sin.
More red herring straw men. We know that we will sin, which is why God gives the next verse as well. That, if we confess our sin, God is faithful to forgive us and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. That's the plan BECAUSE we are sinners.

Paul himself admitted to being a sinner.

Imagine the children that would hear this type of gospel message. What if the OSAS Proponent's message led children into sin?
If they weren't also taught about God's hand of discipline for sinning, then they would have a balanced view of God's plan for mankind. Unlike your view, which is unbalanced and unbiblical.

[QUTOE] What does Jesus say is the punishment for that person who leads children into sin? It's not a happy ending, I can guarantee you that, my friend.[/QUOTE]
Of course, the idea what constitutes an "unhappy ending" is open to debate. It can certainly refer to human life after such sinning. And God's discipline can be severe, as Heb 12:5 SAYS. Do you know what "scourges" mean to 1st century believers? To be skinned alive with a whip, for that's what the Roman soldiers did with their whips. The writer was using metaphoric language to communicate the SEVERITY of God's discipline towards His children (saved people).

iow, NO ONE will get away with what you keep thinking they will get away with. Do you really believe that God is blind to sin? Is that what you think we believe? You keep showing just how much you DON'T know what we believe, but only your straw man red herring.

That's the problem I have with Eternal Security (of which does not exist in the Bible). For Eternal Security ignores the goodness or morality of God (Which is wrong).
It does no such thing. The BALANCED understanding of Scripture includes God's hand of discipline for His sinning children.

Do you not know that a child had committed suicide thinking they would be saved because of the teaching of Eternal Security?
So what? Just because that may offend, doesn't make it wrong. Those who are offended just don't understand God's grace.

Also, please take note that there are Eternal Security Proponents who do teach that they can sin as much as they want and still be saved.
I can guarantee on the Word of God that they will live miserable lives. Not that you or I may be able to tell, but rest assured, God has many warnings about sin and rebellion. If anyone does teach that, they'll pay for it in this life, plus lose out on reigning with Christ in the next life.

It is clear that you think some believers are going to just "get away" with sin and rebellion. That demonstrates your unfamiliarity with the Bible.

How can I tell the difference between your gospel message and their gospel message when preached to a crowd? Do you think they will openly preach their doctrine of immorality to gain new converts? I doubt it. My point is that the message I hear sounds exactly the same to me. It's a sin and still be saved doctrine.
No, it's a believe in Christ and be saved eternally doctrine.

If that is not what you believe, then please explain it to me very slowly using Scripture. Convince me with God's Word that you do not believe in a sin and still be saved doctrine.
It's quite obvious that your ears and eyes have been tightly closed to the truth. What's the point of repeating myself to you again? You've been given all the verses and explanations, yet you just keep rejecting it.

Your tricky little phraseology doesn't really help you. While you see it as go ahead and sin all you want (which offends you), doesn't matter. The FACT of Scripture is that God holds onto His children whether that offends you or not.

It says the gifts and CALLING of God are unchangeable.
No, it says IRREVOCABLE.

[QUTOE] It is talking to unsaved Israel (Which can be applied to all unsaved individuals). There are conditions to receiving God's gifts and in being called by God.[/QUOTE]
Since Paul described eternal life, which is about salvation, your claim is wrong. It's NOT to unsaved people but saved people; those who have received the free gift of eternal life through faith in Christ.

You've yet again failed to prove your view of ch 11.

"For God's gifts and calling never change"
(Romans 11:29)
(International Standard Version).
Lousy version, for sure. But go ahead and cherry pick some version that suits you. The Greek word means irrevocable.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jason0047 said:
This means that a person can continue to murder, rape, hate, fornicate, do drugs, and still be saved as long as they believe in Jesus, right? No?
Yep. Why? Because Christ died for ALL sins. Why do you think Christ died for sins, if sins will keep one out of heaven? How does that make any sense? It doesn't. Just because you're offended by the grace of God doesn't mean His grace is cancelled by your offendedness.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is a red herring and straw man argument.

NO, God does NOT ever condone sin. That's not the issue. And the biblical knowledge of our sin nature and the fact that as long as we reside in our physical bodies we must struggle with sin in NO WAY means that we believe that God condones sin.

Your view is just a hopeful fantasy. But really it's hopeless, for as long as you reside in your physical body, you ARE corrupted with sin.

You cannot be sinless in this life.

But if God can stop a person from being sinless in the after life then why does he not stop them from being sinless in this life after becoming a believer?

See, that's the problem I have with your view of Salvation. For we know by Scripture that with God nothing is impossible. So if God wanted to stop a believer from sinning in this life He could very well do so. But if He chose not to do so that means He would have to agree with them sinning when He could have stopped it (Especially seeing His people do not desire to sin). In fact, wouldn't your body of sin being enslaved to sin be a direct threat to God? How would God be winning if we were all doing evil like we did before? Do you not know that Jesus Christ was manifested to destroy the works of the devil? (1 John 3:8). I mean, the fact the Lord tells two people to: "Sin no more" and tells us believers to be holy, and perfect just does not add up with your sin and still be saved type belief. Especially when 1 Peter 4:1 says that they that have suffered in the flesh have CEASED from sin and when Galatians 5:24 says they that are Christ's have CRUCIFIED the affections and lusts and when the 144,000 were found without fault before God's Throne in Revelation 14:4-5.

The Bible says,

"Follow .... holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord."
(Hebrews 12:14).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But if God can stop a person from being sinless in the after life then why does he not stop them from being sinless in this life after becoming a believer?
It's already been explained WAY TOO MANY TIMES already. How many more times would you like to hear it?

See, that's the problem I have with your view of Salvation.
It isn't my view. It is the Bible's view. Or more directly, God's plan.

For we know by Scripture that with God nothing is impossible. So if God wanted to stop a believer from sinning in this life He could very well do so.
No argument here. But He DIDN'T do it. In fact, He didn't remove our sin nature. That's His choice.

So let's stop fantasizing about God's plan. We will struggle and make choices between our sin and new nature for the rest of our lives on earth.

But if He chose not to do so that means He would have to agree with them sinning when He could have stopped it (Especially seeing His people do not desire to sin).
Let's not fantasize about it.

In fact, wouldn't your body of sin being enslaved to sin be a direct threat to God?
I guess if one's view of God isn't so much. But I believe that God is omnipotent. That means there is NOTHING that can threaten God. The fact that you seem to think so only reveals your less than Biblical view of God.

How would God be winning if we were all doing evil like we did before?
Uh, He's omnipotent and sovereign. That means there is NO CONTEST for Him to "win". He owns it all.

Do you not know that Jesus Christ was manifested to destroy the works of the devil? (1 John 3:8).
I guess you don't understand that verse either. It has to do with the fact that Christ died for all sin. Meaning, the sin barrier between God and mankind was removed. Man now has access to God through grace, another biblical concept that you haven't grasped.

I mean, the fact the Lord tells two people to: "Sin no more" and tells us believers to be holy, and perfect just does not add up with your sin and still be saved type belief.
The ONLY verse where that was said is NOT found in ANY of the earliest manuscripts. That means it was added later, by some scribe. Not inspired. So you may quit quoting non-inspired verses.

Especially when 1 Peter 4:1 says that they that have suffered in the flesh have CEASED from sin and when Galatians 5:24 says they that are Christ's have CRUCIFIED the affections and lusts and when the 144,000 were found without fault before God's Throne in Revelation 14:4-5.
None of this supports your views. If they did, the Bible would be contradicted. That's what your view does; creates contradiction within Scripture.

The Bible says,

"Follow .... holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord."
(Hebrews 12:14).....
No different than James' point about demonstrating your faith before others, so that they can see your faith.

James 2:18 - But someone may well say, “You have faith and I have works; show me your faith without the works, and I will show you my faith by my works.”

The point is this: you cannot show someone else your faith apart from works. In the same vein, unless the believer lives a holy life, which is akin to being Christ-like, no man shall see the Lord.

iow, people see Christ-likeness in the believer who is holy. They WON'T see Christ-likeness in the believer who is not holy.

If holiness was how one received salvation, then Paul's answer to the jailer was a bald faced lie.

The jailer asked Paul: "what MUST I DO to be saved?"

Paul's answer: "believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved."

It could not be any more clear than this.

If holiness was how one gets saved, then Paul should and would have answered this way: be holy and quit sinning, and you will be saved.

But he didn't. That's your view, which is contrary to the Bible's view.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not going to keep arguing with you if you believe you can do horrible acts of evil in God's name and still be in His good graces.
Only prayer can reach you if this is the case, my friend.

In any event, may God bless you.
And please be well.

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I am not going to keep arguing with you if you believe you can do horrible acts of evil in God's name and still be in His good graces.
This is what isn't getting through to you: God's "good graces" are reserved for those of His children who are obedient. For those who are disobedient, will face His severe discipline. Heb 12:5

How is that not clear to you?

Why do you persist in these silly fantasies?

Salvation is by grace, something you do not apparently understand. And salvation is through faith, another concept that you apparently do not understand.

Salvation is "not of works, lest any man should boast." Eph 2:9

If one could achieve sinless perfection, and thereby earn salvation, then salvation is NOT by grace, or through faith. Yet, that's exactly what the Bibles says about salvation. Eph 2:8 - For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God;
Salvation is by grace. Through faith.

9not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

And not as a result of works, or trying to achieve sinless perfection.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not reading anything more you have to say for a while, my friend.
For I do not think it will be helpful for you.

Anyways, may God's love and peace shine upon you today.

With loving kindness to you in Christ,

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My posts aren't for my benefit. They are for your benefit.

Yes, I should have clarified that better. My apologies. I meant to say I am not going to read your lengthy posts anymore because I do not believe that any reply I can offer back with God's Word will be able to help you, my friend.

For if there is no base line morality (or in doing what is right and good) that we can agree upon, then there is no point in having a discussion on this topic.

Anyways, may God bless you.
And please be well.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's there for all to see.

There are two statements at the end of your post. Which is it?
The first one sounds like a question but there is no real question mark.
The second one sounds more like an answerable type of thing that would have some real substance if it was debated (Even though it is not asked as a question, either).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For any anti-OSAS folks who would like to rational discuss this further, I have a few question for you starting with three regarding Gal 5:1.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Gal 5:1)

What does Paul want his listeners to stand firm against?

Set us free from what?

What does Paul mean by "the yoke of slavery"?
Post #144

Upvote 0

FreeGrace2

Senior Veteran
Nov 15, 2012
USA
✟184,557.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Yes, I should have clarified that better. My apologies. I meant to say I am not going to read your lengthy posts anymore because I do not believe that any reply I can offer back with God's Word will be able to help you, my friend.
It is true that you cannot offer back with God's Word, for as I have been showing you all this time, your views are not in line with God's Word.

For if there is no base line morality (or in doing what is right and good) that we can agree upon, then there is no point in having a discussion on this topic.
Where does "base line morality" fit in with God's plan for mankind? Your very words display ignorance of God's grace.

Base line morality and a dollar won't even get you a cup of coffee.

But, by God's matchless grace (ever heard those words together?) one is saved through faith. Eph 2:8.

What is the foundation for base line morality? Just this: Isa 64:6 - For all of us have become like one who is unclean, And all our righteous deeds are like a filthy garment; And all of us wither like a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, take us away.

Except the Hebrew does not say "filthy garment". While the KJV renders it "filthy rags", the literal meaning is "used menstral rags". That's what God thinks of our "base line morality".

So, please don't use that phrase again. It's meaningless.

This is what the Bible says:

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Rom 3:23

There is none righteous; no, not even one. Rom 3:12

There will be many people in hell who thought their base line morality would get them into heaven. They thought wrong.[/QUOTE]

Upvote 0

faither

Aug 22, 2013
✟17,043.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
For any anti-OSAS folks who would like to rational discuss this further, I have a few question for you starting with three regarding Gal 5:1.

"It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Gal 5:1)

Set us free from what?

In your question, your addressing the always saved part of the equation. Is it ok if we start our discussion from the beginning of the statement? ( once saved ) ? Lets say i'm asking the questions instead of you. What makes the word of God mine to ask any questions about them?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,193,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

"It is for freedom (LIberty) that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery." (Gal 5:1)

Galatians 5:1 (King James)
"Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage."

Galatians 5:1 (New American Standard)
"It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a yoke of slavery"

Question #1. According to Galatians 5:1, what does Paul want his listeners to stand firm against?

Answer #1. In Galatians 5:1, Paul wants his listeners to stand firm against not being entangled again to the yoke of bondage or slavery that they were in before. Paul was speaking to new Jewish Christian converts who were trying to go back to the Old Law (and not the New Law) by being circumcised so as to be considered saved by God. For the slavery that they were in before was in trying to be justified by the Old Law or the Law of Moses (Which had been fulfilled upon the cross with Christ's death) (Colossians 2:14) (Hebrews 8:13) (Matthew 27:51) (Romans 8:2) (Romans 10:4). This is evident by the fact that the very next verse says, "Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if you be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." (Galatians 5:2). Circumcision was a part of the Old Law (i.e. the Law of Moses) and not the New Law (or Commands in the New Testament). For Jesus says if you love me, keep my Commandments (John 14:15). Also, even before the cross, Jesus was making changes to the Law and He was teaching us new things. This means, Jesus primarily taught New Covenant and not Old Covenant. Jesus also taught us to uphold God's Laws and He never told us that we could break them thinking we were saved, either. In other words, the penalty of all law has not been abolished as if to say there is no more Law whereby a person then can claim they can sin and still be saved on some level.

For there is still dire after-life consequence to:

(a) Looking in lust. (Matthew 5:28-30),
(b) Not forgiving. (Matthew 6:15),
(c) Being a murderer. (1 John 3:15),
(d) Being a liar: Revelation 21:8 (For all liars will have their part in the Lake of Fire), etc.
(e) Chasing after riches (1 Timothy 6:10).
(f) Not obeying Jesus's words (Matthew 7:26-27) (1 Timothy 6:3-4 - Cross reference with James 4:6, Matthew 13:11).

The Scriptures say the Law has changed (Hebrews 7:12). So when Paul says, "you are not under the law, but under grace.", he was talking about the Old Law and not the New Law. For if one broke the Old Law, they could be put to death instead of going to Christ and seeking forgiveness by confessing their sins to Him under the New Covenant so as to be forgiven of sin. For if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

For God is not against His believers obeying Him; And God does not consider those who obey Him out of fear in being punished by the Lord in the after-life to be a wrong thing, either. "For the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom" (Proverbs 9:10). "Behold, the fear of the Lord, that is wisdom; and to depart from evil is understanding." (Job 28:28, - Cross reference with James 3:13). "Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" (Philippians 2:12). Also, the body of believers throughout all Judaea and Galilee and Samaria walked in fear of the Lord (Acts 9:31).

But in Eternal Security, there is no reason to fear God.
One can have their cake and eat it, too.
For example: In the most extreme version of Eternal Security, they could say something like,

"Keep on sinning boy, there is no need to worry, you have no control over your body of sin. Therefore, God is not going to blame you. You also got your guaranteed ticket to enter through the gates of Heaven because of your belief on Jesus, too. In fact, nobody's perfect, everybody sins, so just keep on doing the sins that you really like to do. God has forgiven you past, present, and future."​

Now, some here may object to the Eternal Security statement above (As they most definitely should); And that is a good thing. In fact, there are Eternal Security Proponents who actually do think they love God and that they are truly serving Him and that they will sin less and less in this life as a part of the Sanctification Process. But will they ever stop sinning in this life? Never. That's the problem. For you can still have your sin and also serve God with even this version of Eternal Security (Which is still wrong). For God cannot agree with saving someone who wants to continue to remain in their evil because that would mean He would have to agree with their willful choice to do evil at some point in the future (Which is not possible because God is good and God is Holy and righteous and there is no darkness within Him).

Set us free from what?

Question #2. According to Galatians 5:1, what thing are believers being set free from?

Answer #2. In Galatians 5:1, believers are being set free from being entangled again with the yoke of bondage or slavery. What was this yoke of bondage or slavery? Again, Paul was speaking to those Jewish believers who were trying to go back to the Old Law (i.e. the Law of Moses) (Which would be the yoke of bondage) and he was not talking about the New Law (i.e. the Commands given to us under the New Covenant). This is evident by the fact that Paul tells us that we can still sin at the end of Galatians 5. Sin is merely transgression of the Law (1 John 3:4). So that means, there is some kind of Law of God in existence that believers can still break today. For Paul says walk in the Spirit so as not to fulfill the lusts of the flesh (i.e. sins) like: "Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings," (Galatians 5:19-21).

Why does Paul tell us not to do these sins?
Let's continue to read what he says.

"I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God"
(Galatians 5:21).

To "inherit" means to gain possession. So one cannot say they are saved and also say they no possession of the Kingdom of God. To possess the "Kingdom of God" means you are connected to it (So as to gain entrance into it or to be a part in it). So this clearly talking about a loss of salvation because Paul says the Wrath of God abides on those (i.e. the children of disobedience) who do these types of sins (Colossians 3:5-10); And John says that those individuals who do these types of sins will face the second death, i.e. the Lake of Fire (Revelation 21:8).

Question #3. According to Galatians 5:1, what does Paul mean by the "yoke of slavery"?

Answer #3. In Galatians 5:1, Paul is equating the "yoke of slavery" as being likened to the Law of Moses (or the Old Law). As mentioned before, Paul mentions "circumcision" as a part of the very next verse (Galatians 5:2). Circumcision was a part of the Law of Moses and it is not a part of the Commands given to us in the New Covenant. Paul was not talking about all Law whatsoever (or the Commands given to us in the New Testament). For Jesus says, "Why do you call me Lord, Lord, and do not the things that I say?" (Luke 6:46). In other words, God is not lawless; And neither are God's people lawless, either.

Today, under the New Covenant, there is:

(a) The Law of Christ (Galatians 6:2).
(b) The Law of Liberty (James 1:25) (James 2:12).
(c) The Royal Law (James 2:8).
(d) The the Law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus (Romans 8:2).​

None of these laws were a part of the Old Covenant.
They are laws that are a part of the New Covenant (i.e. the New Testament).

I mean, do you not know that one of the Commandments in the New Testament tells us this?

"Believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ,." (1 John 3:23).​

Here is the entire verse:

"And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment" (1 John 3:23).​

Are you not justified by keeping the Law or Commandment that says,
"Believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ,"?

Are you not justified by keeping this Law or Commandment?

In other words, you are justified by keeping some kind of Law or Commandment.
So this means, in the book of Romans and Galatians: Paul was telling his listeners about being wrongfully justified by the Old Law and not the New Laws within the New Testament.

As I said to you before in this post here in another thread:

There are two wrong extremes when it comes to salvation. On one end of the spectrum we have Antinomianism, which is an ignoring of God's Law on some level. On the other opposite extreme we have Man Directed Works Based Salvationism. Some jump from one wrong extreme and into the arms of the other opposite extreme. But neither extreme is Biblical in any way shape or form, my friend.

Antinomianism is the belief that you can live in sin on some level the rest of your life and still be saved. It is an ignoring of God's moral goodness or laws. In this view, some believe they can sin all the time the rest fo their life and still be saved; And others believe they can sin only on occasion the rest of their life (while they confess of such sins with the thinking they are saved). To me, this is the most dangerous view because one has to turn off their moral compass in order to believe it. For when you turn on the news and or watch a movie, you know the good guys from the bad guys by what they do and not based on what they believe. Our actions determine if one is evil or good or what's in a person's heart. For even in our own culture we know somebody who ignores morality or has no mental acknowledgment towards morality is called a "sociopath." So being sociopathic is not an admirable trait to have. God is good and He desires His people to be good, too. For it is written, be not deceived, he that does rightoeusness is righteous (1 John 3:7). He that commits sin is of the devil (1 John 3:8). For everyone who does evil hates the light (John 3:20). The problem I see in this belief (also known as OSAS or Once Saved Always Saved) is that people can hear a message from one of these preachers that says: "Jesus is your righteousness and salvation is not in anything you do" as meaning that they now have a "license to sin" because they have a belief on Jesus as their Savior. For whether one teaches that one must live holy afterwards at some other time (Which is a message they could miss), the damage is already done. They could think they can sin and still be saved on some level. In other words, people have committed suicide thinking they are saved because of OSAS. Also, a man who believed in OSAS had murdered many people and himself thinking he was saved (See this link here). This all sounds very similar to what Jim Jones did (of which you can read about here).

Man Directed Works Salvationism is the belief that over-emphasizes man's involvement in the salvation process above God. I have talked with others before who say that the weight or burden of doing God's work is on them alone. One person I talked with had even denied the Substitionary Atonement because of his overemphasis on man's part involving salvation. Some folks I have talked with believe in baptismal salvation. Others believe that one has to speak in tongues in order to be saved. I have talked with others who deny that it is useless to preach the plan of salvation to a man who is dying in a hospital bed (because he needs works to save him). Others believe we have to go back and obey the Law of Moses or at least certain Commands in order to be saved (Like obeying the Saturday Sabbath, etc.). In this view, I have witnessed how others can be judgmental towards others and have a hateful and critical spirit (just as I have witnessed the same thing for those who believe in Antinomianism or OSAS, i.e. Once Saved Always Saved).

However, the right view of salvation is that God saves us by His mercy and by the washing and regeneration of the Holy Ghost (Titus 3:5). This means that when a man believes in Jesus as His Savior or when he repents of his sins and accepts Jesus into their heart by way of prayer they are born again spiritually. They will have new desires spiritually. However, the believer here cannot take the credit for any good work done in his life, though. Jesus will then live within them and do the good work in their heart and lives when they continue to submit to God and His Word. For it is why the 24 elders had cast their crowns down before Jesus. It was Christ working in them. The right view of salvation teaches that one must have a Godly sorrow over their sin whereby they seek forgiveness of their sin with God and they then turn away from that sin (Whereby they will overcome it with God's help). The right view of salvation teaches that it is God working in them and that God will help them to keep His laws and statues (See Ezekiel 36:26-27). These are the Commands or Laws exclusively in the New Testament (and not the Old Testament). For the ordinances that were against us have been nailed to the cross. Only the prophecies from the Law have yet to be fulfilled in the future (Hence, why Jesus said he came not to destroy the Law but to fulfill it). For the Law has been referred to as the "Law and the Prophets." Anyways, the right view of salvation is that a believer is saved by God's grace right here and right now by his mercy and they are led into paths or righteousness (Under those commands in the New Testament) for His name sake. These types of believers love and pray for their enemies. These types of believers believe in God''s goodness and morality. They stand up for what is right and good within God's Word. They believe that a saint can stop sinning. But they point to Jesus as to why they have stopped sinning. They uphold God's laws in the New Covenant but they do not teach that salvation is in a set of rule keeping in and of itself alone because one goes to Jesus to get their hearts right with God and not by them going out and doing a bunch of works instead. God first cleanses us and then He moves within our hearts and lives.

Anyways, I hope my answers help you, my friend.
And may God bless greatly today this fine day.

With loving kindness to you in Christ,

Sincerely,

~ Jason.

Last edited:
Upvote 0