Montgomery
✟142,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This phrase made me wince. Perhaps we could go with "low-income people in rural areas" or a similarly neutral wording.
Because all people who live in rural areas are low income and uneducated, right?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟336,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because all people who live in rural areas are low income and uneducated, right?

Sigh, no, just the opposite. My daughter and her spouse and in-laws live in rural Vermont, where there is the same range of diversity in income, education, and culture that you'd see among human beings anywhere. That's why DragonFox91's phrasing caught my eye.

I'm trying to figure out what DragonFox91 meant by "rural hicks", and say that in a less offensive way. Did he mean low-income, or less-educated, or having a culture he doesn't approve of, or was it just a jab at all people in rural areas? I don't know, but surely there's a better way to say whatever-it-is.

@DragonFox91 , do you want to clarify here?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sigh, no, just the opposite. My daughter and her spouse and in-laws live in rural Vermont, where there is the same range of diversity in income, education, and culture that you'd see among human beings anywhere. That's why DragonFox91's phrasing caught my eye.

I'm trying to figure out what DragonFox91 meant by "rural hicks", and say that in a less offensive way. Did he mean low-income, or less-educated, or having a culture he doesn't approve of, or was it just a jab at all people in rural areas? I don't know, but surely there's a better way to say whatever-it-is.

@DragonFox91 , do you want to clarify here?
I meant to be sarcastic. Good question for@DragonFox91

• Friendly
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It appears it was his focus to blow away as many black people as possible.

Yeah...which would be odd if he was concerned about the latinos crossing the border illegally (although he definitely seemed concerned about that). It's not like a large African population sneaks across the southern border.

Plus the manifesto has been scrubbed from the internet

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟734,135.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Yeah...which would be odd if he was concerned about the latinos crossing the border illegally (although he definitely seemed concerned about that). It's not like a large African population sneaks across the southern border.

Plus the manifesto has been scrubbed from the internet
The powers that be don't want some twisted group of people seeing him as a martyr and adopting his manifesto.

Is it the government censoring that or is it that social media companies are taking it off their sites.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just out of curiosity....

Have you or anyone else read the whole 180 page manifesto?

I've no doubt that replacement theory is in there....but I'm doubtful it takes up 180 pages.

Yet, it appears this is the focus of the narrative surrounding the shooting.
Speaking of narratives I haven't seen any threads about the Texas shootings.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Excuse me?

Right.
Read, understand, then learn.

Or keep ignoring, repeating the same erroneous accusations, and go in circles.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Are you trying to goad because it is coming across that way?

You're the one who bolded the word "learn" in my post and said, "Excuse me?". That came across as you asking me to clarify what I said. I gave it a try, and followed it up with alternatives if you decide not to take my advice.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

mark46

Site Supporter
Jan 29, 2010
✟839,713.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

What's to say?

An 18 year old waited until his birthday to legally purchase an automatic weapon and then walked into a school and murdered 21. There was a security officer on premise. A couple of police arrived quickly. The main police unit took over an hour to take down one kid with an automatic weapon. TX officials said that they were doing all they can. They suggested that more guns in the hands of teachers might have helped.

I AGREE. As long as TX has the laws encouraging kids and anyone with a grudge to purchase an automatic weapon, this will happen.

And it is 100% irrelevant that there are also killings in Northern cities.

The US is the only country in the world with the problem we have. All guns should be registered. All owners should have had their backgrounds checked. There should be a nationwide police data base with red-flags. All gun owners should pass a proficiency tests, similar to licensing the use of trucks or cars. And automatic weapons should be restricted to military or security personnel and perhaps shooting ranges.
=======
I understand that most Republicans strongly believe that civilians should have the right to carry unregistered automatic weapons into restaurants. This is an American distinctive and the deaths will continue and continue.

And, YES, the police should have MORE arms and more tools, including registries. The only caveat for me is that the police be well-trained and wear body cams at all times.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟142,236.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What's to say?

A n 18 year old waiting until his birthday to legally purchase an automatic weapon and then walked into a school and murdered 21. There was a security officer on premise. A couple of police arrived quickly. The main police unit took over an hour to take down one kid with an automatic weapon. TX officials said that they were doing all they can. They suggested that more guns in the hands of teacheers might have helped.

I AGREE. As long as TX has the laws encouraging kids and anyone with a grudge to ourchase an automatic weapon, this will happen.

And it is 100% irrelevant that there are also killings in Northern cities.

The US is the only country in the world with the problem we have. All guns should be registered. All owners should have had their backgrounds checked. There should be a nationwide police data base with red-flags. All gun owners should pass a proficiency tests, similar to licensing the use of trucks or cars. And automatic weapons should be restricted to military or security personnel and perhaps shooting ranges.
=======
I understand that most Republicans strongly believe that civilians should have the right to carry unregistered automatic weapons into restaurants. This is an American distinctive and the deaths will continue and continue.

And, YES, the police should have MORE arms and more tools, including registries. The only caveat for me is that the police be well-trained and wear body cams at all times.
Other countries do have mass shootings, it's debatable what the best way is for tracking them Mass Shootings by Country 2022
Much of what you say makes sense but outlawing guns will not make the problem go away. Many drugs are illegal but you can buy them in any city in the US. It will be the same way if guns are outlawed. People who are determined to get them will still be able to. Republicans are now talking about working with Democrats so maybe some common sense measures will come out of this and not just trying to score political points
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brie...nnell-taps-cornyn-to-negotiate-with-democrats

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
It appears it was his focus to blow away as many black people as possible.

Plus the manifesto has been scrubbed from the internet.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,465.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
You're the one who bolded the word "learn" in my post and said, "Excuse me?". That came across as you asking me to clarify what I said. I gave it a try, and followed it up with alternatives if you decide not to take my advice.

Ok. Have a pleasant evening Aldebaran.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Or the racist black man who planned and carried out the subway shooting.

Yet we'll certainly be seeing this in the media for weeks because he's white, the victims are black, and white supremacists must be generalized to the entire right wing political spectrum.

Upvote 0