Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
In 1st place was Abraham Lincoln, who received a ranking of 93.87.

In 2nd place was Franklin D. Roosevelt, receiving a 90.83.

The president in 3rd place was the first president, George Washington, who received a 90.32 ranking.

Additional rankings:

12th, Bill Clinton (66.42)
14th, Joe Biden (62.66)
16th, Ronald Reagan (61.62)
22nd, Jimmy Carter (54.26)
32nd, George W. Bush (40.43)
35th, Richard Nixon (36.41)
45th, Donald Trump (10.92)

president rankings.jpg

Measuring presidential greatness is, of course, both subjective and selective. Historians routinely reanalyze leaders' successes and failures — and in today's polarized political climate, those qualities can look very different, depending on whom you ask. It can also be difficult to extract distinct criteria for presidential greatness, other than helming the United States during critical moments in history — such as helping found the country or keeping the nation together.

The survey's goal is to give historians and experts on the presidency a chance to state their opinion of where today's leaders stand in a broader context. To do so, Rottinghaus and Vaughn sent requests to current and recent members of the Presidents and Executive Politics section of the American Political Science Association.

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Huh. Not sure why Biden would beat out Reagan.

The last ranking I saw put Trump ahead of Buchanan and Johnson just because the historians felt Trump did a good job influencing people. But it was the wrong kind of influence, spreading misinformation and nutty conspiracy theories, so it should have been a negative, not a positive. I'm glad they fixed that in the new ranking.

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,876.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The top three I understand, were at the helm at three key moments in the country's history.

The next three I understand. Two played clean-up hitters after two of the top three, and the third was a legend in himself.

But the next three surprised me, which makes me think there was more going on with them than reported.

But I can't really fault this, I think Trump may rise a bit with the passing of time, but compared to the others (like the top 10), he we be on the bottom for a long time.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The top three I understand, were at the helm at three key moments in the country's history.

The next three I understand. Two played clean-up hitters after two of the top three, and the third was a legend in himself.

But the next three surprised me, which makes me think there was more going on with them than reported.

But I can't really fault this, I think Trump may rise a bit with the passing of time, but compared to the others (like the top 10), he we be on the bottom for a long time.
I think what helps boost rankings of contemporary presidents are the number of lousy presidents throughout the 19th century. It's not hard to bubble to the top when much of your competition did little more than kill Indians, oppress blacks, and grift.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟558,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think it has more to do with those taking the survey.
Probably to some degree, but even though they likely skew liberal, they still ranked Ike, Reagan, and GHWB fairly high; higher than Carter, for example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Looking from a totally unbiased viewpoint, Donald Trump being rated last is a logical conclusion. The man was impeached twice in single term in office. And led an insurgency to overturn certified election results. Plus the man is the first president in our history to be criminally indicted, with a plethora of charges I might add. And the people surveyed didn't even need to consider the ineptitude of Donald Trump and his administration while in office. But I think they considered it anyhow.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Looking from a totally unbiased viewpoint, Donald Trump being rated last is a logical conclusion. The man was impeached twice in single term in office. And led an insurgency to overturn certified election results. Plus the man is the first president in our history to be criminally indicted, with a plethora of charges I might add. And the people surveyed didn't even need to consider the ineptitude of Donald Trump and his administration while in office. But I think they considered it anyhow.
When you look at how many Trump appointees left his administration with pretty scathing contempt for his judgement and character, its hard to disagree.

Upvote 0

Brihaha

May 6, 2021
Virginia
✟151,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When you look at how many Trump appointees left his administration with pretty scathing contempt for his judgement and character, its hard to disagree.

Yessir. And they are now trying to get the people they duped while working for Donald that they are being serious now lol. They cried wolf too long so trumpers won't believe truth when they hear it now. I have a difficult time trusting anything those people say too.

Upvote 0