Site Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
NYC
✟182,310.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
“Reason is a harlot, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.”

... Analogously to the problem of good works, then, the more you use your reason to approach God, the more you are digging a hole for your damnation.

MercatorNet: Luther and the divorce between faith and reason

Last edited:

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What is it you're trying to say? Luther's rejection of Aristotelian philosophy was a good thing? Reason, in general, is evil? The author of the article doesn't appear convinced that Luther's rejection of "reason" is a good thing. What's your argument? Let's reason together.

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟840,173.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess I'm asking a question: what is the role of reason, is it compatible with faith?

I believe it is. Luther was rejecting a certain philosophy, Aristotle, that had dominated Christian theology for centuries, at that point. Luther, himself, used reason in his own treatises, but emphasized the primacy of scripture in contrast to some particular philosophy.

We all use reason on a daily basis. I think the word of caution that we can take from Luther is that reason is to be used in service of the faith, and that not every philosophy is compatible with the faith.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I myself like the Wesleyan Quadrilateral of Scripture, Tradition, Reason and the ongoing experience of the Church.
Yes, and I like the three-fold approach of the Anglican churches from which that was derived, BUT I really don't think either of these pertains to the issue of Faith and Reason. They speak to the issue of doctrine.

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess I'm asking a question: what is the role of reason, is it compatible with faith?

It depends on for what you use reason. I think all people use reason, also those who reason that it is good to be faithful to God, even if something doesn’t look very reasonable.

Upvote 0

Josheb

Christian
Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
NoVa
✟166,989.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
“Reason is a harlot, the greatest enemy that faith has; it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but more frequently than not struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God.”

... Analogously to the problem of good works, then, the more you use your reason to approach God, the more you are digging a hole for your damnation....
[Source]
Do you think he had his reasons for saying that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

fhansen

Oldbie
Sep 3, 2011
✟323,841.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It's absolutely reasonable to believe in God, a first cause, an intellect behind the obvious complexity of the universe or creation, the Reason behind our own reason.

We use reason, in addition to revelation and grace, to arrive at an understanding of existence or reality that, again, is not unreasonable but which is beyond the ability of reason to completely grasp and comprehend on its own.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Tigger45
Upvote 0