Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
thanks for the information. have you been to the universities that you mentioned that you like? Also I might go to Notre Dame tomorrow if there's rain. It will allow for social distancing because of the large space and prayer. Going to run from the campus soon during their first kickoff of the season with football. Should be interesting since it will be 20% capacity and no tailgating.
I hope someday to visit some of these universities and others, I love learning institutions and places.
No problem. I've never been to any of those universities, but I would love to visit them one day and see the architecture upclose. Although, one of the schools I attended had a lot of history behind it, and both looked like a castle and felt like one on the inside. It was a unique experience. What do you love about learning institutions in particular?

I've also been to St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, which was an incredible sight; the building is a very impressive display of the Neo-Gothic style.
JWZP5HNED25W42VAG2TQBZWQMY.jpg

stpatrickscathedral-christopherpostlewaite__large.jpg

I've toured a few modern-styled buildings as well by well-known architects such as Tadao Ando, Renzo Piano and Louis Kahn. Ando is known for his minimalistic designs, and even designed at least one library that almost looks like something out of a dream.
4zAm4lmDwLliUEjLsDGPwyeyFRXqHVCCa6AbIFKeJyM.jpg

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Redeemed Resident Italian
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ancient Crete and Mycenae

Crete
The Cretes were a society of traders who were protected by the sea. They yielded great wealth from the ocean and thus created a luxurious, comfortable way of life which was unique to other cultures. Their artwork was characterized by lightness, fluid forms, and movement which personified their sea-dependent culture. They rejected as unnecessary the methods of monumentality the East typically employed. The Palace at Knossos was a residence, a religious focal point (since the king also being the high priest) and an administrative center. It was picturesque and colorful, personifying a relaxed atmosphere and informality, rather than monumentality.

Knossos_Palace.jpg
throne-room-palace-of-knossos-crete-greece-185757408-5763ee8b3df78c98dc2de899.jpg

Palace at Knossos in Crete

Mycenae
After Crete fell around 1,400 B.C., this new culture slowly evolved on the Greek mainland for several hundred years. They were warriors, who didn't get to enjoy sustenance and protection by the sea like the Cretes. They built citadels rather than palaces of pleasure, which were difficult to access and highly defensible, and they're monumental citadels rivaled by their tombs. The Mycenae's never had any particular type or style, but rather experimented with various forms. Their builders recognized that monumentality was achieved through geometry and proportions, similar to the Egyptians.

1200-180893063-lion-gate-mycenae.jpg

Lion Gate at the Citadel of Mycenae

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No problem. I've never been to any of those universities, but I would love to visit them one day and see the architecture upclose. Although, one of the schools I attended had a lot of history behind it, and both looked like a castle and felt like one on the inside. It was a unique experience. What do you love about learning institutions in particular?

I've also been to St. Patrick's Cathedral in New York City, which was an incredible sight; the building is a very impressive display of the Neo-Gothic style.
View attachment 284106
View attachment 284105

I've toured a few modern-styled buildings as well by well-known architects such as Tadao Ando, Renzo Piano and Louis Kahn. Ando is known for his minimalistic designs, and even designed at least one library that almost looks like something out of a dream.
View attachment 284107
Rigatoni,

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing your experience. That's awesome that you got to design a library that was like a dream. Is it like the one that's in the picture? I'm wondering if saint Patrick's cathedral is what I toured in New York City also. It kind of looks like it. It's been many years.

As far as learning institutions, it's probably because I think learning is a lifetime experience. And just the energy and the minds of the people that are at a university is kind of a niche for me. I thought about working at a university once just to be in the atmosphere. For now I just share some friendships with old friends that are in the academia now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Day 10. Japanese houses. I probably could go on with this one. kagoshima prefecture is where I lived for three of the years that I lived in Japan. I did one summer of homestay in Kyoto. I love tatami mats, and Shoji doors that allow for breathing during the summer time and nice flow through the house. I lived in an apartment and didn't have the nice flow that you see in many of these pictures. And the winter's got very windy the island I lived. I love the ryokens and onsens also.
Screenshot_20200906-234947.png
Screenshot_20200828-231453~2.png
Screenshot_20200906-235300~2.png
Screenshot_20200906-235531~2.png
Screenshot_20200906-235950~2.png
Screenshot_20200907-000026~2.png

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Rigatoni,

Amazing photos. Thanks for sharing your experience. That's awesome that you got to design a library that was like a dream. Is it like the one that's in the picture? I'm wondering if saint Patrick's cathedral is what I toured in New York City also. It kind of looks like it. It's been many years.

As far as learning institutions, it's probably because I think learning is a lifetime experience. And just the energy and the minds of the people that are at a university is kind of a niche for me. I thought about working at a university once just to be in the atmosphere. For now I just share some friendships with old friends that are in the academia now.
I haven't actually designed a library myself. I did work on a small bookstore design for one of my classes a while back, but it doesn't even hold a candle compared to Ando's work. That man's a genius. We were stretched thin on time when the project was announced, so I ended up going with a simple Cubist-like design for it.

There is a unique atmosphere at universities. I like how many people you meet truly aspire to shine in a certain major or field.

Reactions: sampa
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Six English Towns (1978), Six More English Towns (1981) and Another Six English Towns (1984) are three television documentary series presented by architectural historian Alec Clifton-Taylor for BBC Two.

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I haven't actually designed a library myself. I did work on a small bookstore design for one of my classes a while back, but it doesn't even hold a candle compared to Ando's work. That man's a genius. We were stretched thin on time when the project was announced, so I ended up going with a simple Cubist-like design for it.

There is a unique atmosphere at universities. I like how many people you meet truly aspire to shine in a certain major or field.
Ahh I see. Designing a small bookstore is kind of meet nevertheless. Yes I love the energy around universities.

• Agree
Reactions: Rigatoni
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Ancient Greece

The birthplace of democracy and philosophical skepticism, and progenitors of Western civilization. The ancient Greeks were exceptionally religious and the last of the megalithic builders, who didn't rely merely on immense scale and complex design that captivated the eye, but also with the display of vigor, harmony and refinement that captivated the mind as well. They weren't interested in elaborate houses and palaces, but with other forms of civic architecture such as theaters, council halls, public porticoes and the planning of cities themselves. Although, the most important of all Greek architectural forms was the temple, which was bestowed with the finest building materials, richest decoration and most complex geometry.

Greek culture was influenced not only by the Egyptians (which were still around at the time), but also by the Near Eastern, Crete and Mycenae cultures. It formed in the Dark Age that followed the collapse of the Minoans and Mycenaeans, between the interaction of two diverse peoples: the Dorians (militant, disciplined people with a powerful sense of tribal order) and the Ionians (a mercantile, trading society). The two groups had mingled and became a single although highly varied culture known as the Hellenes.

The Hellenistic culture was reflected in two classical "orders" used in Greek architecture (the Ionic and Doric), which was similar to the "key" used in classical music and defined proportions, characteristic profiles and details, and the type of column used in the design. A Corinthian order was also used, but was more of a variation of the Ionic.

Doric
1024px-The_Parthenon_in_Athens.jpg
Parthenon at the Acropolis in Athens, Greece

temple of concord.JPG

Temple of Concord at Agrigento in Sicily, Italy

Ionic
view-of-the-erechtheum-in-athens.jpg

Erechtheum temple in Athens, Greece

Illustration-of-Acropolis-min.jpg

Illustration of the Propylaea (or monumental gateway) to the Acropolis of Athens in Greece

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Day 12. City dwellings or apartments in town. I really love some of the City dwellings of Chicago and New York City.
I've never been to the UK and much of Europe, I look forward to seeing some of these dwellings someday. I especially love brick lined streets and hills.
Screenshot_20200909-055503~2.png
Screenshot_20200909-055532~2.png
Screenshot_20200909-055547~2.png
Screenshot_20200909-055615~2.png
Screenshot_20200909-055639~2.png

Upvote 0

Miles

Student of Life
Mar 6, 2005
USA
✟382,225.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ancient Greece

The birthplace of democracy and philosophical skepticism, and progenitors of Western civilization. The ancient Greeks were exceptionally religious and the last of the megalithic builders, who didn't rely merely on immense scale and complex design that captivated the eye, but also with the display of vigor, harmony and refinement that captivated the mind as well. They weren't interested in elaborate houses and palaces, but with other forms of civic architecture such as theaters, council halls, public porticoes and the planning of cities themselves. Although, the most important of all Greek architectural forms was the temple, which was bestowed with the finest building materials, richest decoration and most complex geometry.

Greek culture was influenced not only by the Egyptians (which were still around at the time), but also by the Near Eastern, Crete and Mycenae cultures. It formed in the Dark Age that followed the collapse of the Minoans and Mycenaeans, between the interaction of two diverse peoples: the Dorians (militant, disciplined people with a powerful sense of tribal order) and the Ionians (a mercantile, trading society). The two groups had mingled and became a single although highly varied culture known as the Hellenes.

The Hellenistic culture was reflected in two classical "orders" used in Greek architecture (the Ionic and Doric), which was similar to the "key" used in classical music and defined proportions, characteristic profiles and details, and the type of column used in the design. A Corinthian order was also used, but was more of a variation of the Ionic.

Doric
View attachment 284243 Parthenon at the Acropolis in Athens, Greece

View attachment 284244
Temple of Concord at Agrigento in Sicily, Italy

Ionic
View attachment 284245
Erechtheum temple in Athens, Greece

View attachment 284246
Illustration of the Propylaea (or monumental gateway) to the Acropolis of Athens in Greece
I remember learning about the differences between Ionic and Doric columns in art history class.

There's something to be said for consistency in terms of forming cohesive and harmonious spaces. When designing individual structures, or designing in such a way that doesn't detract from the over-all effect, however, deviating from the formula can be unsettling.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for style that stands on its own when removed from the original context.

Parthenon: Nashville, TN

TNNASparthenon_ks09fx_620x300.jpg

Nashville-24-L.jpg

Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I remember learning about the differences between Ionic and Doric columns in art history class.

There's something to be said for consistency in terms of forming cohesive and harmonious spaces. When designing individual structures, or designing in such a way that doesn't detract from the over-all effect, however, deviating from the formula can be unsettling.

On the other hand, there's something to be said for style that stands on its own when removed from the original context.

Parthenon: Nashville, TN

TNNASparthenon_ks09fx_620x300.jpg

Nashville-24-L.jpg
I didn't know there was a recreation of the Parthenon. That must be incredible to see in person, like it was taken straight from ancient history.

• Agree
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Federal Style

It's hard to deny how influential Greek architecture truly was, especially in regards to Western culture. I was reading up on the Federal (or Federalist) style that was prominent around the time the U.S. was formed, which adopted Greco-Roman Neoclassicism. After the Revolutionary War, Americans wanted a style that reflected the spirit of a new nation. Thus, Federal architecture style was born. Although, it is often confused with the Georgian style (called Colonial in the U.S.) - which reigned in American colonies prior - as it does retain some elements of the Georgian style.

Monticello.jpg

Monticello in Charlottesville, designed by Thomas Jefferson

Virginia State Capital.jpg

Virginia State Capitol in Richmond, also designed by Jefferson

houseA.jpg houseB.jpg
Federal Style Houses

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rigatoni

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2014
Southern U.S.
✟222,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Day 14. This one was a hard one and there are so many I would like to post but not the time. Tomorrow I will start taking a break for 10 days, I will be unplugging from media. Tv, radio, social media and other internet . I will only use it for my travels and research. Hopefully it will be a good time to refocus on what's important.
Screenshot_20200911-062254~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-062342~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-193812~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-193855~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-194107~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-194121~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-194217~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195602~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195619~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195700~2.png

Upvote 0

sampa

Veteran
Oct 6, 2006
Midwest
✟124,782.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And some more. So many places I would like to visit. I love walking and running in different neighborhoods of chicago, New York, Kyoto, Tokyo, New Orleans and someday I look forward to seeing the UK in different neighborhoods of Europe
Screenshot_20200911-195709~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195112~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195102~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195052~2.png
Screenshot_20200911-195025~2.png

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0