Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
So who here enjoys architecture? Whether it be an old church, or skyscrapers... What do you like? Do you have a favorite type of building or place?

Have you ever went somewhere to specifically see a type of architecture? Or maybe you studied it in college to become someone who builds or designs buildings?

ae3f89e3c06d1b5f4b1fa250ddde4b60.jpg

afc6a82f9abc65a4ebe54b8475e5fc38.jpg

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,624.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I love classical varieties of architecture. Gothic (or neogothic), Baroque, Beaux-Arts, Renaissance, etc. I generally dislike modern and/or Avante Garde architecture, though on rare occasions I think it's interesting when it's juxtaposed to the anarchic forms of nature.

To me, there's nothing more majestic and beautiful than say, Westminster Abbey, Chartres Cathedral, Santa Maria del Fiore, and of course everything at The Vatican: St. Peter's Basilica, Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, etc.

Sacred architecture and sacred space is INCREDIBLY important, and yet not enough people understand it. Let alone appreciate it.

I also absolutely love American colonial architecture. Colonial houses from the 17th and 18th centuries, State Houses, early collegiate buildings.

San Francisco is a great place to see a variety of architecture. From the Beaux-Arts City Hall (the last building built in that style), to the gothic St. Dominic's on Bush and Steiner, to the modern Transamerica Pyramid, to the Victorian row houses scattered around the Haight.

• Agree
Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

-Hannah-

May 14, 2017
L
✟1,961.00
Country
Portugal
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've been questioning myself if I should go back to college, start all over again, to study Architecture. This morning I was wondering if there was a thread like this. You created it just in time.

I like unusual houses, of special artists. There's a series on Nowness, called In Residence, that is an ode to this. One of my favorites is this one. And this one.

Upvote 0

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I love Mayan architecture. I find it amazing that such beautiful buildings were made without metal tools, without the wheel, without domesticated animals... Just pure manpower!

I would love to go back in time and see these cities while they were still thriving.

chichen-itza-small-group-tour-with-private-entrance-in-cancun-204142.jpg

56e9691185880d4529589dc79170adf9.jpg

display-3097.jpg

waystoplay-ruins-uxmal2.jpg

Mayan Architecture is beautiful and is rich in history and it's artistic all in the same way. I love how some areas are simple but intricate looking. Think of how long it took to build every layer of those steps in the picture. I then wonder what was it all for and did it serve it's purpose when it was first made.

I love those ancient cities, and lost cities. The architectures that are found via these maps that locate them somehow that have been lost all these years.

I love classical varieties of architecture. Gothic (or neogothic), Baroque, Beaux-Arts, Renaissance, etc. I generally dislike modern and/or Avante Garde architecture, though on rare occasions I think it's interesting when it's juxtaposed to the anarchic forms of nature.

To me, there's nothing more majestic and beautiful than say, Westminster Abbey, Chartres Cathedral, Santa Maria del Fiore, and of course everything at The Vatican: St. Peter's Basilica, Archbasilica of St. John Lateran, etc.

Sacred architecture and sacred space is INCREDIBLY important, and yet not enough people understand it. Let alone appreciate it.

I also absolutely love American colonial architecture. Colonial houses from the 17th and 18th centuries, State Houses, early collegiate buildings.

San Francisco is a great place to see a variety of architecture. From the Beaux-Arts City Hall (the last building built in that style), to the gothic St. Dominic's on Bush and Steiner, to the modern Transamerica Pyramid, to the Victorian row houses scattered around the Haight.

Baroque is very fancy, very intricate and artsy. I'm drawn to any painting that has this style as well.

I am a sucker for looking at Victorian houses as well. :bigeye:

I would love to take a road trip there and any other architecture rich areas. I know that Charlotte and Asheville NC have a lot of these places, especially like the Biltmore house.

I've been questioning myself if I should go back to college, start all over again, to study Architecture. This morning I was wondering if there was a thread like this. You created it just in time.

I like unusual houses, of special artists. There's a series on Nowness, called In Residence, that is an ode to this. One of my favorites is this one. And this one.

Aww well go me! I'm glad you found my thread. I will look at those links you posted. I love houses, decor, etc so I'm

• Friendly
Reactions: -Hannah-
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I love the old art deco diners from the 40's and 50's.

b8eaf7baea304808bbdd31aa45485467.jpg

art-deco-diner-exterior-2.jpg

amphora1.JPG
a25c1389-73f9-40f9-aa13-6a20adda3115.jpg

They actually just built one in the town my folks live in about 15 miles away. I think it just opened last week. Headed to town now for a haircut; might have to give it a try...

583e4fb1d3ce5.image.jpg

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I remember attending a Bible study where prayer requests were being taken, and I asked that people pray that more architecture be made that is friendly to homeless people. I kind of got the hint that this sort of thing wasn't much of a priority as the saving of souls are.
rain-umbrella-man-stool-surreal-picture-photo-black-and-white.jpg

Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I remember attending a Bible study where prayer requests were being taken, and I asked that people pray that more architecture be made that is friendly to homeless people. I kind of got the hint that this sort of thing wasn't much of a priority as the saving of souls are.
rain-umbrella-man-stool-surreal-picture-photo-black-and-white.jpg
:o Did they say they wouldn't pray for that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LadyOfMystery

Heart of Gold
Mar 25, 2007
North Carolina
✟279,393.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No I know that feeling. When you bring up something like that. I've done that before and it's not that they say anything, it's just this feeling you get that it's like "Ookay..." even though it's something they should totally be praying for.

I love those little houses that are becoming popular. THe one that you basically live in one room. I'm pretty sure I could live like that!

upload_2017-6-12_13-14-40.jpeg

upload_2017-6-12_13-14-56.jpeg

images

Upvote 0

Servant68

Sleepless 300 miles from Seattle
Jun 30, 2015
The Pacific Northwest
✟73,203.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I love those little houses that are becoming popular. The one that you basically live in one room. I'm pretty sure I could live like that!

LOL! You should have gone fishing with us as tiny houses was another subject that came up, along with pontoon boats...

The consensus among the group was that while they looked cool, were completely overpriced, too heavy, inefficient, and had inferior heating and plumbing systems compared to what you get in a nice RV at the same price or less.

This is the same price as the typical tiny house; about $60k...

1_3089_1925662_48328886.jpg

1_3089_1925662_46186042.jpg

9a958be68e9ce39807fa2ae55283c94e.jpg

Yes, that's a gas fireplace in the living room area...

11073d15d849c37e3e0a5a4221b7c380.jpg

And I've never seen a tiny house with an outdoor mini-bar and entertainment system...

2b1035100de97d2.jpg

Reactions: LadyOfMystery
Upvote 0

kittysbecute

Pokémon Master
Jun 3, 2007
Somewhere over the rainbow, where skies are blue
Visit site
✟159,349.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I like looking at model homes. It's pretty fun. Last year on my birthday I went on a bike ride with my family and on our way back we saw some model homes so we went in to look at them. I was the one who asked if it was okay if we looked around so they handed me all their pamphlets like I was gonna buy a house. :D One of the houses had a great layout. There's no way I could afford a house, but its still fun to look at them and explore. :D

Edit: I also really enjoy creating house designs, and also rearranging furniture within a house to make it the best. :D
There are ways to make a room more open and inviting with the same furniture that could also make it look uncomfortable and crowded. It just depends on how it is organized. :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0