Stuck in a toxic marriage and I don't know what to do.

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great update!

She vowed not to bring up the past anymore because she loves me. And mostlynits been I bringing it up lately anyway.

You can help her not bring up the past if you do not carry the behaviors of the past into the present. No matter how hard she tries, she will be unable to leave the past behind if it is chasing her into the present.

Here are some great articles on marital behaviors that rekindle and restore romantic love between husbands and wives:

https://www.marriagebuilders.com/a-summary-of-dr-harleys-basic-concepts.htm
https://www.marriagebuilders.com/the-love-bank.htm
https://www.marriagebuilders.com/love-busters.htm

You would do well to read them, and study all of the lovebusters so you can stop enacting them against her.

All the best, Neo!
E.

Upvote 0

Etorres

Jan 19, 2020
Margate
✟7,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Okay I've been married for 4 years now and my wife and I have been together for 5 years now. I'm in a toxic marriage and quite frankly I don't know what to do. I don't want to get a divorce because I made a life long commitment to her and besides, I think I'm the problem so why would I get a divorce from somebody where I'm the problem? Why is our marriage toxic? Several reasons. She's constantly bringing up things I did on the past. In the past, I admit I did not treat her right. See, I'm bipolar and I wasn't medicated when we met and for several years prior to that. So there was a lot of trust and abandonment issues back then. I've broken up with her several times during the first year of our relationship only to take her back again. I've constantly broken off our engagement only to take her back again. I used to be afraid of her constantly and we fought like almost all the time. Why we even agreed to get married was a complete mystery to both of us. It was like God had chosen us as a couple to be together. I mean I loved her deeply and she loved me but we definitely were a toxic couple and most people would not have made a lifelong commitment to somebody like that. I was bad, she was bad and it's just a mystery of God why we're even together. But she's stayed through with me to it all. She's dealt with all of my crap. She's always been constantly faithful to me even during my psychotic episodes where I'm not myself and I don't know what's going on. Just... I thought we were extremely faithful to each other. I mean, we've never cheated on each other so... why?

One of those episodes was a pretty big one. It was about 3 years ago. I remember parts of it but most of it I don't remember. What I do remember about it was that I almost killed her one night when I had not slept for many weeks on end. If our dog had not intervened and attacked me I probably would have killed her. So I was sent away to a mental hospital for a little over a week to get better. Never in my life had I wanted to go to a mental hospital but I was sent there against my will because I was getting really, really bad. It got to the point where I believed my mother was God and that I had divine powers and could cleanse hell so that it would not be such a bad place for people to go to. I had also tried to escape from the hospital on numerous occasions. The episode lasted for a little over a month. After I got better I was mad at my wife for sending me away because when we were dating I made her promise to never send me away (It's a long complicated story but one of my ex girlfriends was constantly in and out of mental hospitals and told me horrible stories about what they did to her.) But I realized after a while that my family really had no choice. Plus, they didn't really treat me badly at the hospital at all. Most of the staff was really kind to me. Even on the numerous times I tried to escape lol. Anyway, I was just so massively out of control and That episode was an extreme wake up call for me and I've been medicated ever since. I mean that whole episode happened because I wasn't taking my meds for a 3-4 year long period.

Since being medicated I thought I treated her a lot better. But, apparently this isn't the case. She keeps bringing up the past and saying that I constantly cuss in front of her (Which is true, it's a sin I'm battling against daily). That I'm extremely rude and arrogant, that I keep telling her what to do, and that I almost never want to have sex with her and that she's sexually frustrated all the time.

I don't know why I don't want to have sex with her. But that's a whole other topic that I could talk about for days. Anyway, I want to change. I'm supposed to be a Godly person who treats his wife properly but apparently I don't and I keep failing every 3 seconds. I can hear God pushing me to never give up but honestly? I feel like giving up. I've mostly given up on life and I just waste my days away waiting for the day when I can finally be with God and be happy beyond my wildest dreams.

I mean back when we first got married we promised to each other that we would be married for life and that we would never divorce each other. We didn't believe in divorce. I meant it and ALWAYS meant it. I knew she treated me badly but I wanted to be married to her for the rest of my life because I loved her and loved her for over a year at that point. But lately? She's been saying that she's open to getting a divorce and her story changed. She said she would never remarry but she said that if we keep treating each other this way or that if I treat her badly enough that she would divorce me. I honestly don't know what changed over the last four years. I mean, I got married in the eyes of God and promised God that I would be married and faithful to this woman for the rest of my life. I've kept that promise for over 5 years now. I don't know why all of a sudden she's backing out on what we promised to God and to the Judge that married us.

I don't know if it's because of me being bipolar and apparently treating her like crap. Or if she's just honestly sick of me. I mean, we stopped arguing for the most part and in my eyes I treat her a lot better now than I did before. But why does she constantly bring up my past and things that I did to her almost 5 years ago when I wasn't medicated?

And I put up with a lot of her crap too. Like constantly bringing up past sins that God has forgiven over 2,000 years ago. God doesn't hold my sins against me anymore so why should she? She never cleans or does almost literally anything for me or for God. She just sits on her behind in front of a computer and TV screen literally wasting both of our lives away. Whenever I bring up that I want to start living for God she scoffs at me (And she's apparently been a believer her entire life). Whenever I ask her to read the bible with me she says no. Or when I ask her to spend literally 15 minutes out of her life to talk to God. Nope can't do that. It infuriates me! I'm getting sick and tired of living in a pigpen that nobody wants to visit and that reeks 99.9% of the time. I complained the other week when I walked into our bedroom that it reeked EXTREMELY and she was like "That's because there's a bathroom in our bedroom" and I was like "No Jeanette that's body odor and garbage and because you haven't did our laundry in over 2 weeks or washed our bedding in over a year and because you haven't cleaned this place in literally 5 years." And then she was like "I don't know why I don't notice it then." and I was like "That's because we LIVE in it every freaking day!" I almost NEVER complain that we live in a pigstye despite it bothering me each and everyday. She always constantly brings up excuses of "Well my parents never made me clean and we always lived worse than this." Honestly I doubt it? And if we did so what? You're supposed to be respecting me and doing what I ask you to do. Instead of being so... idk! Insubordinate!

I mean despite all of that crap? I still want to be married to her. I don't want to divorce her and I deal with it. Yet she can't deal with me being bipolar? And stuff that I did to her so long ago? Let me deal with it when I have to stand before God and give an account to him for everything that I did to her and that I did to the entire world in my lifetime! Let me be massively ashamed THEN.

I really hope this thread doesn't get deleted and I really hope my wife logs on and reads it and knows how I truly feel because honestly? I can't talk to her anymore without her blowing up in my face. But she hasn't been an active member of CF in years despite me constantly asking her to at least spend time with other Christians like God commanded us to do and like we should be doing as Christians. It just sounds to me like she's suffering from depression. But of course, she will never take medicine for it. Yet, I'm expected to force myself to take crazy pills twice a day and say nothing about it.

I've tried going to God with this and I've seen changes in my life. But apparently these changes are not good enough for my wife who didn't know the kind of person I was before I met her and before I came to God. If she knew who I was before she probably would have stayed FAR away from me. See! I can't even tell her about my PAST and about how I feel! It's like I'm married to a mane-quin! I've been faithful, I've been trying to change but It's like she won't even LET me change. Or give time for God to change me. But then again the same could be said for me. I should be patient in waiting for God to change her. You guys have told me that and I've been really trying to wait. But, if something isn't done soon this marriage will probably be over and it'll be all my fault!

Upvote 0

Etorres

Jan 19, 2020
Margate
✟7,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
I need to tell u and this is speaks from pure experience. Leave your husband trust me when I tell u this but the grass is greener on the other side. Most people disagree but I can tell u from experience. Leave your husband God has someone else literally waiting for u that moment you leave your husband. Trust me I was very depressed when I figured this out but after a while you learn to cope with it. Long story short I had a Christian wife we were strong in faith but She found someone else while being married to me. We ended up getting a divorce and 4 months later she is already married and she couldn’t be more happier. She got exactly who she wanted. It may seem unethical but it’s the truth. So in the end she left her husband (in fact committed adultry) and life is better now then it was before the adultry

Upvote 0

Etorres

Jan 19, 2020
Margate
✟7,804.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
No they don’t. I’m speaking from experience. God sacrificed my relationship with him so that way he can
Get closer to my ex. God used me to fill in until the other man was ready to settle down. If God treated you the same way he treated me you would be speaking different

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I’m speaking from experience. God sacrificed my relationship with him so that way he can
get closer to my ex.
How did God sacrifice His relationship with you ?
God used me to fill in until the other man was ready to settle down.
How did God force you to be with your ex ?

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟922,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I need to tell u and this is speaks from pure experience. Leave your husband trust me when I tell u this but the grass is greener on the other side. Most people disagree but I can tell u from experience. Leave your husband God has someone else literally waiting for u that moment you leave your husband. Trust me I was very depressed when I figured this out but after a while you learn to cope with it. Long story short I had a Christian wife we were strong in faith but She found someone else while being married to me. We ended up getting a divorce and 4 months later she is already married and she couldn’t be more happier. She got exactly who she wanted. It may seem unethical but it’s the truth. So in the end she left her husband (in fact committed adultry) and life is better now then it was before the adultry

First of all, I'm the husband it might be helpful to even read my post before replying to it. My wife is the one that's "toxic". Second of all, I love my wife so much that it hurts, I would NEVER leave or betray her. Why? Because I made a vow to God to be married to her for the REST of my life. For BETTER or WORSE. When a person gets divorced they break that promise as if it meant/means nothing to them that they lied in front of the eyes of God. Also, what does scripture say about this subject? Matthew 5:31-32, Matthew 19:3-11 has the answer. You know for somebody who is claiming to follow Christ you cannot obey one simple commandment? Your first spouse is a gift from God to YOU! Your second spouse is a gift from Satan and in the eyes of God you are just adulterer's and you WILL NOT escape God's judgement. Don't believe me, look it up in the Bible.

You watch, I'll be rewarded and praised by God in ways that I cannot even imagine in the end while your friend and those who treat divorce as not such a serious matter and get divorced just because their spouse SNEEZED on them get nothing and will only be filled with SHAME on the day of judgement. I promise you that.

Plus has anybody ever stopped to think that all of the hurt, pain, and misery I/people like me have experienced in this life will seem like nothing compared to living for an ETERNITY with massive rewards and praise from our loving Lord and Savior? That's why I don't get why people divorce. I would never even REMOTELY consider such a thing. Sure, I could find somebody that would make me happier but why would I want to go against Christ to be happy for a sand spec of a course of time and lose out on praise from my savior and an eternity of rewards? You know how long an eternity is right? It goes on FOREVER. There is no end. You could live for googlplex of years (The highest number known to man) and still only live for not even one grain of sand of time of what you're going to live for.

People never question "Why die for God?" so why is it that people don't say "Stay in toxic and abusive marriage for a short period of time because you're suffering and it can't get better for God?"

I've suffered virtually all of my life, THIS? is nothing. I was constantly physically and verbally abused by my father for almost 27 years! That's right, for over 92% of my life on this planet, I was physically and verbally abused. Yet, I never hit him back once in my life. Even after he started hitting my mom too. I wanted to, but my body froze. I've also completely forgiven my father for those things and I remain talking to him now that I finally got away from his drunk butt. You don't think God isn't going to reward and praise me for that on the day of Judgement? And like I said, those 27 years seem like a long time now. About four times a year, I suffer through bipolar lows and manic episodes. About every 2 years I suffer a lot one massive psychotic episode. Sometimes I get so physchotic that I had to be strapped down. If you ask anyone else who knows me, my life sucks. But, I look FORWARD to what Christ has promised me and to the eternal rewards that I am going to get for being loyal to Christ and each and everyday of my life. Plus, after I've been living for sextillions of years and beyond. My suffering for 60-70 years will be NOTHING and will be as if it never happened. It won't even come to mind.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Okay I've been married for 4 years now and my wife and I have been together for 5 years now. I'm in a toxic marriage and quite frankly I don't know what to do. I don't want to get a divorce because I made a life long commitment to her and besides, I think I'm the problem so why would I get a divorce from somebody where I'm the problem? Why is our marriage toxic? Several reasons. She's constantly bringing up things I did on the past. In the past, I admit I did not treat her right. See, I'm bipolar and I wasn't medicated when we met and for several years prior to that. So there was a lot of trust and abandonment issues back then. I've broken up with her several times during the first year of our relationship only to take her back again. I've constantly broken off our engagement only to take her back again. I used to be afraid of her constantly and we fought like almost all the time. Why we even agreed to get married was a complete mystery to both of us. It was like God had chosen us as a couple to be together. I mean I loved her deeply and she loved me but we definitely were a toxic couple and most people would not have made a lifelong commitment to somebody like that. I was bad, she was bad and it's just a mystery of God why we're even together. But she's stayed through with me to it all. She's dealt with all of my crap. She's always been constantly faithful to me even during my psychotic episodes where I'm not myself and I don't know what's going on. Just... I thought we were extremely faithful to each other. I mean, we've never cheated on each other so... why?

One of those episodes was a pretty big one. It was about 3 years ago. I remember parts of it but most of it I don't remember. What I do remember about it was that I almost killed her one night when I had not slept for many weeks on end. If our dog had not intervened and attacked me I probably would have killed her. So I was sent away to a mental hospital for a little over a week to get better. Never in my life had I wanted to go to a mental hospital but I was sent there against my will because I was getting really, really bad. It got to the point where I believed my mother was God and that I had divine powers and could cleanse hell so that it would not be such a bad place for people to go to. I had also tried to escape from the hospital on numerous occasions. The episode lasted for a little over a month. After I got better I was mad at my wife for sending me away because when we were dating I made her promise to never send me away (It's a long complicated story but one of my ex girlfriends was constantly in and out of mental hospitals and told me horrible stories about what they did to her.) But I realized after a while that my family really had no choice. Plus, they didn't really treat me badly at the hospital at all. Most of the staff was really kind to me. Even on the numerous times I tried to escape lol. Anyway, I was just so massively out of control and That episode was an extreme wake up call for me and I've been medicated ever since. I mean that whole episode happened because I wasn't taking my meds for a 3-4 year long period.

Since being medicated I thought I treated her a lot better. But, apparently this isn't the case. She keeps bringing up the past and saying that I constantly cuss in front of her (Which is true, it's a sin I'm battling against daily). That I'm extremely rude and arrogant, that I keep telling her what to do, and that I almost never want to have sex with her and that she's sexually frustrated all the time.

I don't know why I don't want to have sex with her. But that's a whole other topic that I could talk about for days. Anyway, I want to change. I'm supposed to be a Godly person who treats his wife properly but apparently I don't and I keep failing every 3 seconds. I can hear God pushing me to never give up but honestly? I feel like giving up. I've mostly given up on life and I just waste my days away waiting for the day when I can finally be with God and be happy beyond my wildest dreams.

I mean back when we first got married we promised to each other that we would be married for life and that we would never divorce each other. We didn't believe in divorce. I meant it and ALWAYS meant it. I knew she treated me badly but I wanted to be married to her for the rest of my life because I loved her and loved her for over a year at that point. But lately? She's been saying that she's open to getting a divorce and her story changed. She said she would never remarry but she said that if we keep treating each other this way or that if I treat her badly enough that she would divorce me. I honestly don't know what changed over the last four years. I mean, I got married in the eyes of God and promised God that I would be married and faithful to this woman for the rest of my life. I've kept that promise for over 5 years now. I don't know why all of a sudden she's backing out on what we promised to God and to the Judge that married us.

I don't know if it's because of me being bipolar and apparently treating her like crap. Or if she's just honestly sick of me. I mean, we stopped arguing for the most part and in my eyes I treat her a lot better now than I did before. But why does she constantly bring up my past and things that I did to her almost 5 years ago when I wasn't medicated?

And I put up with a lot of her crap too. Like constantly bringing up past sins that God has forgiven over 2,000 years ago. God doesn't hold my sins against me anymore so why should she? She never cleans or does almost literally anything for me or for God. She just sits on her behind in front of a computer and TV screen literally wasting both of our lives away. Whenever I bring up that I want to start living for God she scoffs at me (And she's apparently been a believer her entire life). Whenever I ask her to read the bible with me she says no. Or when I ask her to spend literally 15 minutes out of her life to talk to God. Nope can't do that. It infuriates me! I'm getting sick and tired of living in a pigpen that nobody wants to visit and that reeks 99.9% of the time. I complained the other week when I walked into our bedroom that it reeked EXTREMELY and she was like "That's because there's a bathroom in our bedroom" and I was like "No Jeanette that's body odor and garbage and because you haven't did our laundry in over 2 weeks or washed our bedding in over a year and because you haven't cleaned this place in literally 5 years." And then she was like "I don't know why I don't notice it then." and I was like "That's because we LIVE in it every freaking day!" I almost NEVER complain that we live in a pigstye despite it bothering me each and everyday. She always constantly brings up excuses of "Well my parents never made me clean and we always lived worse than this." Honestly I doubt it? And if we did so what? You're supposed to be respecting me and doing what I ask you to do. Instead of being so... idk! Insubordinate!

I mean despite all of that crap? I still want to be married to her. I don't want to divorce her and I deal with it. Yet she can't deal with me being bipolar? And stuff that I did to her so long ago? Let me deal with it when I have to stand before God and give an account to him for everything that I did to her and that I did to the entire world in my lifetime! Let me be massively ashamed THEN.

I really hope this thread doesn't get deleted and I really hope my wife logs on and reads it and knows how I truly feel because honestly? I can't talk to her anymore without her blowing up in my face. But she hasn't been an active member of CF in years despite me constantly asking her to at least spend time with other Christians like God commanded us to do and like we should be doing as Christians. It just sounds to me like she's suffering from depression. But of course, she will never take medicine for it. Yet, I'm expected to force myself to take crazy pills twice a day and say nothing about it.

I've tried going to God with this and I've seen changes in my life. But apparently these changes are not good enough for my wife who didn't know the kind of person I was before I met her and before I came to God. If she knew who I was before she probably would have stayed FAR away from me. See! I can't even tell her about my PAST and about how I feel! It's like I'm married to a mane-quin! I've been faithful, I've been trying to change but It's like she won't even LET me change. Or give time for God to change me. But then again the same could be said for me. I should be patient in waiting for God to change her. You guys have told me that and I've been really trying to wait. But, if something isn't done soon this marriage will probably be over and it'll be all my fault!

Start by taking care of your wife's sexual needs.

Then couples counseling with local pastor.

Most men feel blessed when they want some
Up Close Loving.

M-Bob

Upvote 0