Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
People who really, honestly believe that racism is entirely in the past, and that everything is good today, are people who have not been keeping up with the news. (I didn't say opinion pieces, I said news.)

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
People who really, honestly believe that racism is entirely in the past, and that everything is good today, are people who have not been keeping up with the news. (I didn't say opinion pieces, I said news.)
I can't imagine anybody believing racism or any other type of hatred is a thing of the past that no longer exists.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,434.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single

Nothing is entirely in the past. But racism seems to be one of the main terms that are used by the black community as a method of marginalizing people they don't like, or to give themselves a platform of influence--and is way overplayed to the point of discrediting the users of it. I've even heard of the NBA and other sports organizations being referred to as the "modern day plantation", as if black people who lived on the plantations of the days of slavery were payed multi-million dollar contracts to play sports, or athletes of today are given whippings when they lose a game.

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Nobody owes anybody a job.
If you hold with the pure capitalist notion that the owners of a factory, or other means of production have carte blanche to conduct its business as they wish, then you are correct.
If you take a more nuanced, respectful, contemplative, approach (one might even say a Christian approach) then all the stakeholders in a business (owners, managers, workers, suppliers, customers) have an interest in that business and responsibilities to each of the other stakeholder groups. In that respect workers who have contributed to an enterprise, in some case for decades, are entitled (ethically) to have their roles placed a little higher on the list of priorities than a milliion dollar bonus for the CEO and 2% dividend for shareholders.
But you are, of course, entitled to your purer capitalist approach and to lay at the former workers' door responsibility for the consequent hardship (and reaction to it).

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I can't imagine anybody believing racism or any other type of hatred is a thing of the past that no longer exists.

What has changed is the responsibility for racism. In the beginning it was likely 100 percent the fault of whites. Now the responsibility can be shared almost equally, imo. Minorities have much more control of their destiny than they did 100 years ago.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
For most minorities safety in numbers is preferred over individuality.

I think its fair to say that some cultures value working together more so than others. Would you say that is true for the minorities you’ve known?

Safety in numbers suggests a measure of group consciousness that I haven’t experienced. Although its presented through well-known leaders and personalities. I don’t see it operating at a grassroots level.

We driven mindsets consider the whole in their plans, vision, and execution. Strengthening and paying it forward are common practices as is conscientiousness on the consequences of missteps. The betterment of the group is foremost. That’s legacy in action. There should be correlating achievements and steady progression when all are working towards the same point.

Safety in numbers is important when you’re in the same place and another matter when you aren’t. Minorities are in different echelons of society with varying degrees of exposure to the issues we’re addressing.

~Bella

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
In that respect workers who have contributed to an enterprise, in some case for decades, are entitled (ethically) to have their roles placed a little higher on the list of priorities than a milliion dollar bonus for the CEO and 2% dividend for shareholders.

When you open the door to venture capitalists and shareholders the dynamic shifts. Investment has a price and the greatest loss is autonomy and control in the areas named.

The CEO is rewarded for his prowess and delivering profits. His capacity is decidedly different from the laborer and compensation moves along those lines. Whether he’s worthy of millions is a different matter. On a scale of ROI they consider the leader more difficult to replace and assign a larger stake on his contribution than other persons.

I’m not debating the appropriateness of the practice but illustrating the compromises outside investment brings to a firm. It’s a catch-22 for some. They need the resources (for growth) but it comes at a steep price.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I've even heard of the NBA and other sports organizations being referred to as the "modern day plantation", as if black people who lived on the plantations of the days of slavery were payed multi-million dollar contracts to play sports, or athletes of today are given whippings when they lose a game.

They’re players. Not owners. That’s what they’re referencing. Gary Vaynerchuk spoke candidly on his dream of team ownership (The Jets) and the hill he needs to climb to get there.

That’s a billionaire’s club.

~Bella

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think its fair to say that some cultures value working together more so than others. Would you say that is true for the minorities you’ve known?
~Bella

Working together is part of their communality and culture. So, often the individual only moves at the speed of the group economically. Then, looking at the community (the group) we see other factors that limit the success of all, mainly the lack of education, poor health, and resistance to integrating socially and culturally. In other words they suffer most from self-inflicted wounds and limitations that only they themselves can remedy. Racism is often a convenient scapegoat, mostly proffered by advocates and activists for minorities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
When you open the door to venture capitalists and shareholders the dynamic shifts. Investment has a price and the greatest loss is autonomy and control in the areas named.

The CEO is rewarded for his prowess and delivering profits. His capacity is decidedly different from the laborer and compensation moves along those lines. Whether he’s worthy of millions is a different matter. On a scale of ROI they consider the leader more difficult to replace and assign a larger stake on his contribution than other persons.

I’m not debating the appropriateness of the practice but illustrating the compromises outside investment brings to a firm. It’s a catch-22 for some. They need the resources (for growth) but it comes at a steep price.

~Bella
I'm overly familiar with the issues you speak of. I simply note that with great rewards comes great responsibility. That responsibility - in a just society - lies not only to the shareholders.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If you hold with the pure capitalist notion that the owners of a factory, or other means of production have carte blanche to conduct its business as they wish, then you are correct.
If you take a more nuanced, respectful, contemplative, approach (one might even say a Christian approach) then all the stakeholders in a business (owners, managers, workers, suppliers, customers) have an interest in that business and responsibilities to each of the other stakeholder groups. In that respect workers who have contributed to an enterprise, in some case for decades, are entitled (ethically) to have their roles placed a little higher on the list of priorities than a milliion dollar bonus for the CEO and 2% dividend for shareholders.
But you are, of course, entitled to your purer capitalist approach and to lay at the former workers' door responsibility for the consequent hardship (and reaction to it).
It works both ways; some jobs leave the country, some jobs come to this country it kinda works out. But most people in the Ghetto aren't poor because their jobs left for foreign countries; it's a little more complicated than that.

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What has changed is the responsibility for racism. In the beginning it was likely 100 percent the fault of whites. Now the responsibility can be shared almost equally, imo. Minorities have much more control of their destiny than they did 100 years ago.
That has nothing to do with any thing I or E.J. said.

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Think Dennis Prager, for one. One of his recent "Fireside Chats" was on that very topic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0