USA
✟948,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
But if my brother from childhood becomes homeless I may well do everything in my power to help. I may let him stay with me even if he steals, give money even though he wastes it, hook him up with jobs even though I know he might not turn up etc. By the time I have to kick him out, it would still break my heart.

I would hope you’d be more discriminating with a wife and family in tow. Have you considered the impact of his character on your family? I realize you’re single. Inviting dysfunction into your home has a price. Be certain you’re prepared to deal with the fallout. It will last far beyond his stay.

And why would you bring hardship to a business owner by recommending an employee who’s unreliable? How does that serve his needs? Have you considered the wasted manpower and necessity of finding a replacement?

Your bad decision will minimize future recommendations. Most never forget the bad apple.

If the person’s character and life skills are in disarray, direct them to sources that address the deficiencies and prepare them for gainful employment.

~Bella

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No? You weren't fighting a foreign enemy, you were fighting amongst yourselves to make a decision you should have made in the first place. You didn't do anybody a favour.

That decision, if made "in the first place" would have jeopardized the union. That can was kicked down the road for nearly a century.

Upvote 0

Olmhinlu

Apr 15, 2020
Undisclosed
✟59,795.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would hope you’d be more discriminating with a wife and family in tow. Have you considered the impact of his character on your family?

Well that was quite the lecture. To clarify - I'm in no rush to endanger my family or my reputation. Even if you turned away this hypothetical brother, there would presumably be more grief and emotional attachment than there would for the stranger. The point was that some Americans treat the black community like the stranger rather than the brother.

Reactions: Sam91
Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The point was that some Americans treat the black community like the stranger rather than the brother.

I was raised in the ghetto and then ended up working for the City often in the ghetto for over 30 years.

Some of their thoughts regarding other parts of town are the same. No brothery love for others.
M

• Agree
Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Ceasing to abuse isn't the same as making up for it or dealing with the injuries. And of course more could be done to invest in certain communities. You put a man on the moon for goodness' sake.

If I meet a homeless man on the street who asks for money I might be tempted to tell him to get a job and take responsibility for his own life and quickly be on my way.

But if my brother from childhood becomes homeless I may well do everything in my power to help. I may let him stay with me even if he steals, give money even though he wastes it, hook him up with jobs even though I know he might not turn up etc. By the time I have to kick him out, it would still break my heart.

Of course everyone has to take responsibility for their own lives. But America hasn't exactly exhausted itself trying to bring black America into the fold.
It isn’t the job of America to bring anybody into the fold, that is the job of each American citizen; black, white, or whatever. In todays America, if you are unable to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to you, then you will be one of the many who remain poor. I don’t find it reasonable to expect America to do more to help those unwilling or unable to help themselves.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was raised in the ghetto and then ended up working for the City often in the ghetto for over 30 years.

Some of their thoughts regarding other parts of town are the same. No brothery love for others.
M

There is a bigger political divide than a racial one in America, imo.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟651,138.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
The 'gangsta' culture within the black community doesn't help.

Especially when they're proud of it, and then claim discrimination and racism when anyone not black recognizes that fact.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well that was quite the lecture. To clarify - I'm in no rush to endanger my family or my reputation. Even if you turned away this hypothetical brother, there would presumably be more grief and emotional attachment than there would for the stranger. The point was that some Americans treat the black community like the stranger rather than the brother.

It wasn’t a lecture. I was merely referencing the necessity of viewing the situation from both sides.

Our culture is decidedly individualistic. You’ll hear similar comments from other groups. Hillbilly Elegy and Nomadland are excellent resources on the subject.

As a rule, we reward self-starters and go-getters. Color isn’t the smoking gun. Its money and social class. They matter most.

~Bella

• Agree
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Ceasing to abuse isn't the same as making up for it or dealing with the injuries. And of course more could be done to invest in certain communities. You put a man on the moon for goodness' sake.

If I meet a homeless man on the street who asks for money I might be tempted to tell him to get a job and take responsibility for his own life and quickly be on my way.

Of course everyone has to take responsibility for their own lives. But America hasn't exactly exhausted itself trying to bring black America into the fold.

Inner city black communities (which account for most of black problems) should make a deal with their cities. In exchange for reducing crime they would receive aid in the amount saved by the city. Those new resources could then be used to improve education, infrastructure, and job opportunities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don’t think it is as bad as you think. Black people today in America have it better than black people anywhere else; better than blacks in Europe, Asia, Africa, Carabbean’s etc. Even their ancestors who were sold as slaves to the US were better off than those sold to the West Indies, South America, and all the other places they might have gone had the US not gotten involved in the Trans Atlantic slave trade.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I don’t think it is as bad as you think. Black people today in America have it better than black people anywhere else; better than blacks in Europe, Asia, Africa, Carabbean’s etc. Even their ancestors who were sold as slaves to the US were better off than those sold to the West Indies, South America, and all the other places they might have gone had the US not gotten involved in the Trans Atlantic slave trade.

Interesting as well is that most chose to remain here after being freed. What did they know that we didn't?

Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟239,995.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
They might want to get a handle on what's going on within the City block in which they live?

Can't blame outsiders for that.

Most of the danger in the gettos
comes from their own.

M
If a significant proportion of the unemployed on that block are unemployed as a consequence of the owners of the factories they used to work in shifting their production to China because that will let them make more profit and afford a larger yacht, would you still maintain no blame attached to outsiders?

341 comparable examples are available upon request, one at a time.

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Interesting as well is that most chose to remain here after being freed. What did they know that we didn't?
Well they knew they had no place else to go considering America quit bringing slaves from Africa in 1810 so by the time the slaves were freed half a century later, the freed slaves were at least 2 generations American; very few people brought from Africa were still alive by then; especially considering most slaves didn't live much past the age of 30 in those days.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟948,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I think it’s fair to admit many industries are impacted by technology and outsourcing. The days of beginning and ending your tenure with the same company are well behind us.

We’re in the knowledge economy. Employers value thought and creativity over manual labor. That may shift in the future. The greater point is the necessity of adapting and developing skills in demand. You have to stay ahead of the curve and remain relevant in today’s market.

~Bella

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
If a significant proportion of the unemployed on that block are unemployed as a consequence of the owners of the factories they used to work in shifting their production to China because that will let them make more profit and afford a larger yacht, would you still maintain no blame attached to outsiders?

Nobody owes anybody a job.

• Agree
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

One problem that blacks have is that they are less mobile than Whites occupationally. For instance it would be easier for a displaced white worker to get a job in a yacht factory than a displaced black worker. Or getting a job 'crewing' on that new yacht as it travels the globe. Hopefully this will change for them in the future but they have long way to go.

Upvote 0

Evan Jellicoe

Aug 2, 2016
downstate Illinois
✟22,984.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I don't know a single black person who has been a slave. I was born in 1965 when Civil Rights fight was going on, so the only black people that were really treated poorly related to that kind of racism are older than me (I am almost 55)...but yet, most older black people do not behave poorly.

If you want some insight into what black people really think, go Google "Chris Rock Who wants to change places?" It's a stand-up comic routine, but I think we all realize that the funniest routines are the ones that we recognize as being mostly true and painful. It's also full of extremely raunchy language not suitable for linking from here (but remember that it is what comes out from a man, not what goes in, that corrupts). But Chris will put to rest that notion that older black people are always nice; he let's you know why they are so nice.

Also, what you say about younger blacks not being treated badly is just not true. Maybe you ought to do some reading up on the subject. You could start with finding Black Like Me at the library (when it reopens) and seeing life through the eyes of a white man who disguised himself as a black man to see for himself.

Also, the most recent examples I could find of a cross being burned by the KKK, and of a black church being firebombed, were both in 2019.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One problem that blacks have is that they are less mobile than Whites occupationally. For instance it would be easier for a displaced white worker to get a job in a yacht factory than a displaced black worker. Or getting a job 'crewing' on that new yacht as it travels the globe.
How do you know this?

Upvote 0

Mountainmanbob

Goat Whisperer
Site Supporter
Sep 6, 2016
✟1,096,353.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don’t find it reasonable to expect America to do more to help those unwilling or unable to help themselves.

Even if you gave them everything for free
they wouldn't know how to keep it.
Skills first have to be acquired.
M

Last edited:
Upvote 0