Stargate

TheReasoner

Former christian, current teapot agnostic.
Mar 14, 2005
Norway
✟29,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Redneck said:
Stargate is pretty cool!11!!! :D

I don't get why they'd take the MP-5 on so many of the missions though. The M-16 or a variant would probably be more effective against the Jaffa armor. :)

It is not the mp5. The mp5 is a 9mm weapon, which is hardly effective against armor at all. They bring the FN P90, which is not too far from the caliber used on the M16, 5.7 mm ammunition designed for armor penetration. It is small and lightweight. It's got a 50 round clip which is much better than the H&K mp5s 32, and the M16s 30. The P90 is designed for personal defense and armor penetrating rounds.
The m16 uses 5.56 and it is more of an assault rifle. It in itself is weak and rather pathetic as it were. The clips are smaller (in terms of the number of rounds) it is just a bit more powerful, and it is a fairly unreliable weapon.
If you want armor penetration, and sheer power you'd use 7.62mm weapons, like the H&K AG3 I am familiar with. This weapon is designed for forest warfare and sheer power. An example of the weapon's power is simple; It can stop a car with a single (lucky) shot to the engine. It can kill a person when fired through a tree, and one shot kills, usually no matter where you hit. It's a heavy (1.4kg without a clip) and long (1.02 metres). But it is ideal for outdoor fighting, in woodlands and the like. If you want reliability, and power, you'd use the AG3. BUT it only has 20 rounds per clip, and is large and cumbersome. So:
The P90 is the ideal choice for the SG teams. The m16 is too large and too unreliable, while providing roughly the same firepower as the P90. The step up to 7.62 is a step too far, the weapon does have enough power to stop anything, virtually, but it's way too large and cumbersome for a small recon team. It and the m16 are assault weapons, and assault is not one of the SG teams tasks. So the P90 is an ideal choice.

Upvote 0

rahma

FUNdamentalist
Jan 15, 2004
between a frozen wastelan and a wast desert
Visit site
✟16,435.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Redneck said:
Amazon has seasons 1-7 for $350.

Oy :eek:

I got seasons 3 through 6 on DVD from a friend for $35 a season. Only downside was no cases, but eh, who needs cases?

Then, I ordered seasons 1 through 7 from ebay from China (maybe bootleg). A lot of the discs don't work, but I'm going through the entire thing, finding the discs that don't work and having the person who sold them to me replace them. Then, I'm going to sell seasons 3 through 7 on half.com and make a fortune, mwahaha. I bought those 7 seasons for about $13 a piece, and can sell them for about $30 a piece on half.com, after I've made sure they all work. Only downside is that they don't have all the audio commentary, which is part of what I love about the later seasons.

So, still have to buy season 7 with all the commentary, and wait breathlessly on the edge of my seat for season 8 and SGA

Upvote 0
R

Redneck

faith guardian said:
It is not the mp5. The mp5 is a 9mm weapon, which is hardly effective against armor at all. They bring the FN P90, which is not too far from the caliber used on the M16, 5.7 mm ammunition designed for armor penetration. It is small and lightweight. It's got a 50 round clip which is much better than the H&K mp5s 32, and the M16s 30. The P90 is designed for personal defense and armor penetrating rounds.
The m16 uses 5.56 and it is more of an assault rifle. It in itself is weak and rather pathetic as it were. The clips are smaller (in terms of the number of rounds) it is just a bit more powerful, and it is a fairly unreliable weapon.
If you want armor penetration, and sheer power you'd use 7.62mm weapons, like the H&K AG3 I am familiar with. This weapon is designed for forest warfare and sheer power. An example of the weapon's power is simple; It can stop a car with a single (lucky) shot to the engine. It can kill a person when fired through a tree, and one shot kills, usually no matter where you hit. It's a heavy (1.4kg without a clip) and long (1.02 metres). But it is ideal for outdoor fighting, in woodlands and the like. If you want reliability, and power, you'd use the AG3. BUT it only has 20 rounds per clip, and is large and cumbersome. So:
The P90 is the ideal choice for the SG teams. The m16 is too large and too unreliable, while providing roughly the same firepower as the P90. The step up to 7.62 is a step too far, the weapon does have enough power to stop anything, virtually, but it's way too large and cumbersome for a small recon team. It and the m16 are assault weapons, and assault is not one of the SG teams tasks. So the P90 is an ideal choice.

Yay a weapons debate! :cool:

Actually, they use the MP5 in the earlier seasons and the P-90 after about Season 4 or 5, I'm not really sure which.

The P-90 fires a 5.7x28mm round which is a pistol round and the same round that the FN-Five SeveN fires.

The M-16 and its variants fire a 5.56x45mm cartridge which is an assualt rifle catridge.

Personally, against the armored Jaffa, the P-90 is the better choice than the MP-5 because the ammunition has more pentrating power.

Upvote 0

die2live

Veteran
Jan 6, 2005
✟10,798.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
forgivensinner001 said:
The only fear I have about SG1 is that they will have an episode that introduces a particularly ancient and powerful goa'uld (or even a different, super-powerful alien) named Jehovah or Yahweh. That would probably kill the series for me. But as long as they don't do that, I'm good. :D

During that episode where they found the Christians on another planet, my brother pointed out something. WIth the Egyptian and every other god, they portrayed the Goa'uld as the gods that the early peoples worshipped. In that show, they protrayed the Unas devils more as imposters rather than the "real" thing.
Something to think about.

Upvote 0

AdamGogarty

Feb 25, 2005
London
✟8,059.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have slowly collected the 7 Boxsets of Stargate Episodes :) Is brilliant to be able to grab a dvd from any season when i am bored and want to watch something :) I like boxsets alot i tend to buy them more than individual DVDS. I got 'Band of brothers' Recently its really really good :D

Upvote 0

Tirocupidus

Apr 12, 2005
Oklahoma
✟15,428.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
rahma said:
Then, I ordered seasons 1 through 7 from ebay from China (maybe bootleg). A lot of the discs don't work, but I'm going through the entire thing, finding the discs that don't work and having the person who sold them to me replace them.
I also bought the first 7 seasons from Ebay from a Chinese source ($86 + s/h iirc). I found a lot (all?) of the discs from season 5, onward, didn't work. I bought a new $80 JVC player and they worked fine. Other than that, there's one disc with 2 missing episodes, and one disc that has an episode that plays mostly okay, but has some problems.

Ah, yes. Stargate: SG-1 is my favorite tv show ever. :) It's returning in July? Does Sci-fi usually have strangely-timed seasons?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Spherical Time

Reality has a well known Liberal bias.
Apr 20, 2005
New York City
Visit site
✟11,273.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Tirocupidus said:
It's returning in July? Does Sci-fi usually have strangely-timed seasons?
The Sci-Fi channel does, it seems, if not science fiction in general.

Reactions: GaelSong
Upvote 0

Taeurus

Apr 24, 2005
Sparta, TN
Visit site
✟1,568.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
die2live, i'm glad you started this thread. this is my all time favorite show!. anyway, was anybody else upset when at the end of this season's last episode, they said there might be a new stargate team?:mad: . i don't know all the details, but still they can't replace the old team, it's JUST NOT RIGHT!!! also can't wait to see the conclusion of the 2-part battle for Atlantis. it's gonna be freaken awesome.God bless.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

~Lady Trekki~

Waiting On God...And Putting My Trust In Him!
Apr 29, 2005
Visit site
✟61,796.00
Stargate is pretty cool...I don't watch it every week, but it's usually good when I do watch it. My favorite character from the show is Dr. Jackson...though Teelk is in close second place. The movie was awesome...and the series does a decent job of keeping your attention. It's good sci-fi. :D

Upvote 0

Tirocupidus

Apr 12, 2005
Oklahoma
✟15,428.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
~Lady Trekki~ said:
Stargate is pretty cool...I don't watch it every week, but it's usually good when I do watch it. My favorite character from the show is Dr. Jackson...though Teelk is in close second place. The movie was awesome...and the series does a decent job of keeping your attention. It's good sci-fi. :D
Teal'c ;)

Upvote 0

eden2760

Veteran
May 4, 2005
Seoul, South Korea
✟16,360.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I use to watch it every week for awhile. I've missed a few seaons for the last two years or so. But I absolutely love the shows. I consider myself (for having missed a lot :p) a hardcore SG-1 fan. The gh'a'ould (sp?) are probably some of the most disturbing (yet awesome) villians of all time and the characters are all separate, but equally deep characters imo. I think the series has a lot going for it and I think Stargate Atlantis sucks :p

though Teelk is in close second place.
Don't forget the episode where O'Neil spells out Teal'C's name to Senator Kinsey (whom is the character that I LOVE to Hate!)

Teal'c is my favorite character. Also I'm in the air force too. Hoorah SGC!

Upvote 0