WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey guys. So, for those who watch anime movies, have you heard of the movie Belle? I am planning on watching that in early 2024 after the holidays, if it is on DVD to rent from the local library for free. This is a sci-fi and fantasy movie and musical hybrid set in a world about a a woman who enters virtual reality to sing, but then ends up having to save the day.

Trailer:

Poster:
1702172982411.jpeg

Actors: https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/movies/Belle/

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hey guys. So, for those who watch anime movies, have you heard of the movie Belle? I am planning on watching that in early 2024 after the holidays, if it is on DVD to rent from the local library for free. This is a sci-fi and fantasy movie and musical hybrid set in a world about a a woman who enters virtual reality to sing, but then ends up having to save the day.

Trailer:

Poster:
View attachment 340260

Actors: https://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/movies/Belle/
Yes, I have seen it in theaters when it first came to the US and I also bought the DVD I liked it so much. This is the latest movie by director Mamoru Hosoda, who I have been following ever since I came across his 2006 "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". He seems to crank out a movie every 3 years. I also have his "Wolf Children" (2012) and "Mirai" (2018). I have not seen his 2009 movie, "Summer Wars", but apparently the idea of a virtual world is common to both "Summer Wars" and "Belle". Of all his movies I like "Belle" the best. The music is outstanding, even on the English dub, which is difficult to do when dealing with close-ups of people singing different languages. There is one particular somewhat humorous scene that goes on in a train station in which one static shot is maintained for about 5 minutes, even when two of the characters walk out of the frame. The static framing reminded me of director Wes Anderson's style. You may notice some similarities to the classic "Beauty and the Beast", but I assure those those similarities are purely superficial. The story is nothing at all like Beauty and the Beast, except that Belle in the virtual world might be considered the Beauty and there is a character in the virtual world they even call "the Beast" whose destruction is sought by those in power. And there are some symbolic rose petals. That's it. The core of the story is completely original, and involves more of Suzu/Belle's character arc than anyone else, starting with her losing her singing voice after the death of her mother. (That's not much of a spoiler. It happens right at the beginning.) I do hope you come back and tell us your reaction after you have seen it.

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Yes, I have seen it in theaters when it first came to the US and I also bought the DVD I liked it so much. This is the latest movie by director Mamoru Hosoda, who I have been following ever since I came across his 2006 "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". He seems to crank out a movie every 3 years. I also have his "Wolf Children" (2012) and "Mirai" (2018). I have not seen his 2009 movie, "Summer Wars", but apparently the idea of a virtual world is common to both "Summer Wars" and "Belle". Of all his movies I like "Belle" the best. The music is outstanding, even on the English dub, which is difficult to do when dealing with close-ups of people singing different languages. There is one particular somewhat humorous scene that goes on in a train station in which one static shot is maintained for about 5 minutes, even when two of the characters walk out of the frame. The static framing reminded me of director Wes Anderson's style. You may notice some similarities to the classic "Beauty and the Beast", but I assure those those similarities are purely superficial. The story is nothing at all like Beauty and the Beast, except that Belle in the virtual world might be considered the Beauty and there is a character in the virtual world they even call "the Beast" whose destruction is sought by those in power. And there are some symbolic rose petals. That's it. The core of the story is completely original, and involves more of Suzu/Belle's character arc than anyone else, starting with her losing her singing voice after the death of her mother. (That's not much of a spoiler. It happens right at the beginning.) I do hope you come back and tell us your reaction after you have seen it.
I actually watched it on the December 19th, as Belle was on HBO Max. The soundtrack was amazing, the voice acting was great, and the message of the story was good also, showing that harming people can cause others to harm people as well, and that showing love is the only solution to ending violence. For me, I would recommend Belle for folks 15 and up (maybe 12 and up for more mature folks), as the topic of abuse is touched upon in the ending scenes. Would not want to show this movie to anyone younger. But heavy topics need to be discussed in movies more, so Belle gets 10/10 stars in my books.

Reactions: LeafByNiggle
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟75,847.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
..then you know the train station scene I mentioned, right?
Yep, I do. The scene was done very well, and the actual station looks photo-realistic.

Here is all 2 minutes 41 seconds of the train station scene:

Upvote 0