Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not talking about how much science one knows, I'm talking about IQ:
  • mental age / chronological age x 100
It is my contention that the further back one goes, the higher the average IQ rises --- especially among the Jews, who, IMO, are the most intelligent people on earth.
The reason people were given those ridiculous ages in the Bible, and other mid-eastern literature much older than that, is because the most ancient works of Semitic origin were writ before the Arabic invention of the number, zero. Until then, the middle eastern cultures used a base-sixty numeric system. It is a sliding scale when translated into base ten, but properly transcrined, the ages reduce to normal life spans. Otherwise, the oldest record known to exist lists the kingdoms of Mesopotamia in a continuous succession over a period of about a quarter million years, with the earliest kings ruling for an average of thirty thousand years each!

Upvote 0

drunkard

Mar 29, 2004
✟210.00
Faith
Atheist
If a standard-sized star were on a collision course with the Earth, our planet would be completely charred a good while before it ever arrived. Earth, the moon, Mars and Venus could all be destroyed by that same event, all of them would be enveloped in the on-coming star. Our sun would almost certainly be profoundly effected by it too.

What happens to the earth's matter after envelopment?

Would it be atomized and radiated back out into the universe fairly quickly, or would most of it sink towards the star's center for long-term storage?

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
What happens to the earth's matter after envelopment?

Would it be atomized and radiated back out into the universe fairly quickly, or would most of it sink towards the star's center for long-term storage?
Sun_Earth-browse.jpg

I think it would just be swallowed and digested.

Upvote 0

And-U-Say

Veteran
Oct 11, 2004
California
✟19,565.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Those "primitives", as you call them, were a lot smarter than you think. Even "cavemen" back then would give our best scholars a run for their money, IMO.

Yes, really! Look at the Geico commercials, cavemen are really smart!

Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Those "primitives", as you call them, were a lot smarter than you think. Even "cavemen" back then would give our best scholars a run for their money, IMO.
Please don't get me started on that. Let's at least keep it on-topic for this thread.
BABYLON2.gif

We know what lies outside our atmosphere. And that proves that there is no water above where the firmament isn't, [Genesis 1:6-7] and no windows to let it drain in if there was any there [Genesis 7:11]. It also proves that the veil of night cannot be spread over the missing firmament like a curtain [Psalms 104:2] or a tent, [Isaiah 40:22]. We also know that the stars are not made to stand in the span of this expanse [Isaiah 48:13] because they are not "high" in the firmament, [Job 22:12]. They are so far beyond our puny world that "height" is meaningless and inapplicable. They are much too far away to be blown out of place by any storm [2 Esdras 15:34-35] and they couldn't be taken "down" by anything at all. We've also proven that the illusive heavenly firmament has no foundations either [2 Samuel 22:8] and neither does the Earth [Job 38:4-6]. There are no pillars [1 Samuel 2:8] holding the Earth above the deep, [Genesis 1:2] because there is no deep. Outer space is not full of water!

We also know what lies outside our gravitational field. And that proves that you can't have any passage of days and nights without a sun to measure them [Genesis 1:13-14] against an Earth which constantly moves [Psalms 104:5]. We also know that the sun cannot be made to set at noon, [Amos 8:9] and that neither the sun nor the moon can be stopped in the sky [Joshua 10:12-13].

We also know what is beyond our solar system. And that proves that the stars can't fall from the sky [Matthew 24:29] and even if they did, we still couldn't stomp on them [Daniel 8:10] because they're each millions of miles around. Which makes it a bit silly to imagine a whole group of them in combat with a mere human being [Judges 5:20].

We know what lies beyond our galaxy. And that proves that nothing or no one could ever "seal up the stars" [Job 9:7]. We also know that the Earth with its fictitious firmament didn't predate the "lights in the heavens" by any amount of time [Genesis 1:17-19] and that the stars weren't "set" specifically to light the Earth. Because the Earth is not at the center, -or the beginning- [Genesis 1:1] of the universe in any respect. The way the Bible depicts the Earth in relation to the rest of the universe is wrong and has been wrong for thousands of years.
AncientFirmament.jpg

Yeah, those ancient astrology-minded goat herders were sooooo smart.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian

LOL. Ah, you're always good for a laugh.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

This picture shows up a lot in posts as "proof" that the Scriptures are errant when it comes to how God created the universe.

How many of you actually realize that this picture is not - I repeat: NOT - inspired of God? It is the artist's conception of what the universe looked like, based on his interpretation of the Scriptures.

In fact, I thought it interesting to note that this picture appears in the New American Bible (whatever that is), and not the King James Bible.

I have a digitally remastered original King James, and it's not in there.

Here's part of the story that appears under the picture:
  • Adrian Swindler said:
    This passage and others like it in the Bible make no sense until they are interpreted in terms of the ancient Hebrew conception of the world as represented in the graphic illustrations on the following page that were published in the New American Bible and The Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible. (Similar ones appear in other Bible dictionaries.) If you will study the graphics and then read the above quotation again, the psalmist's meaning will become quite clear. He thought the earth rested on foundations or pillars that God had set in the ocean depths. Needless to say, modern science knows better.
I think it's appropriate that this picture, though not inspired of God, found its way in some other translation of the Scriptures. IOW --- go figure.

Aron-Ra said:
Yeah, those ancient astrology-minded goat herders were sooooo smart.

Those "ancients" were not astrology-minded --- since astrology is forbidden.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The reason people were given those ridiculous ages in the Bible, and other mid-eastern literature much older than that, is because the most ancient works of Semitic origin were writ before the Arabic invention of the number, zero.

In that case, I wish the Arabs hadn't of invented the number zero, so I could live longer.

Fact of the matter is though, here's why they lived so long:
  • [bible]Hebrews 9:27[/bible]
God instituted longevity, not nature - (which is something scientists need to learn).

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We know what lies beyond our galaxy. And that proves that nothing or no one could ever "seal up the stars" [Job 9:7]. We also know that the Earth with its fictitious firmament didn't predate the "lights in the heavens" by any amount of time [Genesis 1:17-19] and that the stars weren't "set" specifically to light the Earth. Because the Earth is not at the center, -or the beginning- [Genesis 1:1] of the universe in any respect. The way the Bible depicts the Earth in relation to the rest of the universe is wrong and has been wrong for thousands of years.

That's what you'd like to think - isn't it? Take a close look at this picture, Aron:

AncientFirmament.jpg

Notice that the sun, the moon, and the stars are below the water canopy - not above it?

This is based on the wrong definition of "firmament" - (probably from Strong's Concordance).

A firmament is a "containment field" - not just the atmosphere; and as such, there are 3 firmaments mentioned in Scripture. Here they are - by name:
  • FIRST HEAVEN - the atmosphere
  • SECOND HEAVEN - outer space
  • THIRD HEAVEN - Heaven proper
This is what happens when a person thinks pictures are inspired of God.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
We also know that the sun cannot be made to set at noon, [Amos 8:9]...

I can't let this one go uncorrected, either.
  • [bible]Amos 8:9[/bible]
This is a prophecy of the sun going dark from noon to three o'clock the day Jesus was crucified.

Jesus is all throughout the Old Testament.

Doesn't your Bible have marginal notes or footnotes, Aron?

Or, as I suspect, are you just copy-and-pasting junk theology?

Reactions: SH89
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yes, really! Look at the Geico commercials, cavemen are really smart!

I've mentioned two or three times now that the Geico commercials are a very good depiction of how the cavemen were.

That is, highly-intelligent, educated, cultured members of society, albeit outcasts - (probably due to the fact that they were anti-social).

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Doesn't your Bible have marginal notes or footnotes, Aron?

just in case there exist lurkers who don't know.
there are no footnotes, no marginal notes, no chapter or verse numbers, no pictures, no maps, no concordances, no indexes, no word lists in the Bible. All are added to particular printings but are not part of the text. In fact, the original Hebrew didn't have vowel markings or punctuation, and the Greek didn't have punctuation either, so paragraphs as well as sentences are inferred from context.

That is, highly-intelligent, educated, cultured members of society, albeit outcasts - (probably due to the fact that they were anti-social).

another Defender's Study Bible footnote?

Upvote 0

Xeriar

Nov 23, 2006
Visit site
✟15,207.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
The photosphere of any 'yellow' or hotter star is well above the molecular binding energy of any material substance (ie using elements of which we currently know). However, it's not particularly dense, so actually boiling the Earth away into nothing will take awhile for a yellow star.

No world of Saturn's size or larger is going to notice much, unless the collision was at some extreme speed. A few million years of interesting cloud formations, perhaps.

Meteors depend entirely on their size. It should be noted that, until more evidence is gathered from Lunar probes, the Giant Impact Hypothesis is still a hypothesis and not yet confirmed.

As for the contention that IQs were higher in olden times, this is patently false - see the Flynn effect.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
[/color][/font]

That's what you'd like to think - isn't it? Take a close look at this picture, Aron:

AncientFirmament.jpg

Notice that the sun, the moon, and the stars are below the water canopy - not above it?

This is based on the wrong definition of "firmament" - (probably from Strong's Concordance).

A firmament is a "containment field" - not just the atmosphere; and as such, there are 3 firmaments mentioned in Scripture. Here they are - by name:
  • FIRST HEAVEN - the atmosphere
  • SECOND HEAVEN - outer space
  • THIRD HEAVEN - Heaven proper
This is what happens when a person thinks pictures are inspired of God.
Unable to address any of the provided scriptural references, (much less all of them) AV1611VET is again only able to whine about the picture which reflects the text, a text which even he admits is senseless when interpreted literally. This is why he can only rely on certain Bibles, and only if they contain footnotes, footnotes which are only human interpretations which are no more authorative than his or mine.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
just in case there exist lurkers who don't know.
there are no footnotes, no marginal notes, no chapter or verse numbers, no pictures, no maps, no concordances, no indexes, no word lists in the Bible.

Just in case there exist lurkers who don't know, there are no pictures like this, either:

AncientFirmament.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ranmaonehalf

Nov 5, 2006
✟9,473.00
Faith
Atheist
I've mentioned two or three times now that the Geico commercials are a very good depiction of how the cavemen were.

I honestly prefer the

unfrozen caveman lawyer from SNL.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unfrozen_Caveman_Lawyer

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I'm just a caveman. I fell on some ice and was later thawed by some of your scientists. Your world frightens and confuses me! When I see my image on the security camera at the country club, I wonder, are they stealing my soul? "

Got to love unfrozen caveman lawyer.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Just in case there exist lurkers who don't know, there are no pictures like this, either:

AncientFirmament.jpg
This image isn't illustrated graphically, no. But it is illustrated literally. This was the common concept, not just amongst the Jews but all Semitic peoples, as well as the Greeks and Chinese too.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,888.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This image isn't illustrated graphically, no. But it is illustrated literally. This was the common concept, not just amongst the Jews but all Semitic peoples, as well as the Greeks and Chinese too.

Then why does David say "heavens" (plural) in Psalm 19?
  • [bible]Psalm 19:1[/bible]
And why did Paul use the term "third heaven"?
  • [bible]2 Corinthians 12:2[/bible]
I have to ask you this again, Aron: does your Bible have any marginal notes, footnotes, or at least cross-references?

Or do you just like the pictures?

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Then why does David say "heavens" (plural) in Psalm 19?
Because it was a common, though not universal belief that Heaven contained three to seven levels.
[bible]Psalm 19:1[/bible]
And why did Paul use the term "third heaven"?
Same reason. For example, take a look at the Garden of Earthly delights, painted by a Medieval monk named Hieronymus Bosch.
bosch-garden-of-delights-open.jpg

When you close the panels, you see the whole world as it was still viewed in the religious perspective of the 15th century, where God was often seen as residing beyond the firmament.
500px-Hieronymus_Bosch_-_The_Garden_of_Earthly_Delights_-_The_exterior_(shutters).jpg

[bible]2 Corinthians 12:2[/bible]
I have to ask you this again, Aron: does your Bible have any marginal notes, footnotes, or at least cross-references?

Or do you just like the pictures?
Still unable to account for any of the verses provided, you're now reduced to trying to question my ability to read. Your argument grows weaker by the moment.

Upvote 0