Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
'Scuse the dumb question but …

If a star collided with the earth what would happen? Would the earth survive the impact or would planet earth completely disintegrate? I'm not a rocket scientist and it's a hypothetical (admittedly) question. But let us assume a medium sized star ... (bang, :eek: clunk!) What do you think?

Gid in scientific mode :cool:

The planet would be destroyed completely, likely before impact, all life would be killed either from heat or other radition long before impact.

Upvote 0

Soul Searcher

The kingdom is within
Apr 27, 2005
West Virginia
✟39,544.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
Wanna squirm, Tom --- answer this simple question:
  • How did the star disappear, then reappear later and lead the Wise Men to a specific address?
[bible]Matthew 2:9-11[/bible]

Anyone else who thinks this is astrology-in-action, feel free to answer, too.

(The tough question is coming up.)
As I said, whether it was a star or not is irrelevant. Astrology takes in many other 'signs of heaven', like planets. What is important is that the 'wise Men' would have needed astrology to determine it was special and subsequently follow it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
As I said, whether it was a star or not is irrelevant. Astrology takes in many other 'signs of heaven', like planets. What is important is that the 'wise Men' would have needed astrology to determine it was special and subsequently follow it.

Let's try this again:

How is it this star led the Wise Men to a specific address?

My questions are only going to get harder, Tom --- if you don't know the answer, please feel free to say so and we'll drop this junk about astrology, okay?

(I notice Aron-Ra is awful quiet now.)

Upvote 0

Tomk80

Titleless
Apr 27, 2004
Maastricht
Visit site
✟21,582.00
Faith
Agnostic
Let's try this again:

My questions are only going to get harder, Tom --- if you don't know the answer, please feel free to say so and we'll drop this junk about astrology, okay?

Obviously through astrology. Otherwise it wouldn't have looked like a star to the wise men. If it would have been closer, it would have been described differently. They would have needed astrology to be able to gauge the position.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I think I adequately proved each of my points in this thread, but of course they were all ignored. So I dropped out for that reason, and because its finals week.

Upvote 0

rmwilliamsll

avid reader
Mar 19, 2004
✟7,946.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green

you need to read the text closer, it got them to an area, larger than a city but smaller than all of Israel or possibly the size of Judea. They literally had to ask directions of Herod.

Mat 2:1 ¶ Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem,

Mat 2:2 Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.

for someone who claims to read the KJV literally, you sure do take liberties with the text.

Upvote 0

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Well technically no meteor has ever hit earth. Those that hit are called meteorites, and the largest objects that have hit the earth as far as we know are asteroids the largest of which would appear to have done tremendous amounts of damage.
Iirc, a meteorite is the part of the meteor that survives the impact and meteor is a meteroid that has entered the Earth's atmosphere.

Whatever, you know what I mean, however badly I put it. :)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
you need to read the text closer, it got them to an area, larger than a city but smaller than all of Israel or possibly the size of Judea. They literally had to ask directions of Herod.

And you need to read it further --- Herod didn't know the answer:
  • [bible]Matthew 2:3-4[/bible]
He then mistakenly sends them to Bethlehem:
  • [bible]Matthew 2:5-8[/bible]
But as they start to go, this object intercepts them and leads them to the exact address:
  • [bible]Matthew 2:9-11[/bible]
This is not astrology in action.

for someone who claims to read the KJV literally, you sure do take liberties with the text.

Although this statement is wrong, since you didn't read far enough, and you think they're following a literal star; you do make a good point in that you're assuming I'm incorrect because it violates a literal interpretation.

Do you see how it's much, much harder to buffalo someone who claims a literal translation of the Scriptures, than it is someone who interprets it figuratively?

The only reason you guys think I'm wrong, is because you're assessing a literal translation to this star, and it's causing me much consternation and patience having to explain what this object is not.

And I like it!

That's the way it should be --- especially with Genesis 1.

I have a feeling I'm not going to be able to convince anyone what this thing was, so I'm not going to try; but for the record, I do not think it was a literal star - (it couldn't have been).

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You know that astrology is not condemed in the Bible if you interpret the right passages litteraly. Of course there are also a few passages in Isaiah and Zephaniah that hint at the exicution of astrologers.

Luke 21:25
And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars.

Genesis 1:14
And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
You know that astrology is not condemed in the Bible if you interpret the right passages litteraly. Of course there are also a few passages in Isaiah and Zephaniah that hint at the exicution of astrologers.

And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years.
You'd make a great apologist, ever considered coming over to the darkside? :D

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,579.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Not astrological signs --- obviously.

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not astrological signs --- obviously.
What ever happend to "If it disagrees with the King James Bible - it's wrong."? The verse in Genesis 1:14 is a direct quotation from God Himself stating that He created the 'science' of astrology.

Avatar, I am quite fond of the Darkside with it's red lightsabers and the lightning thing that they do, but I still voted for Yoda in the 32 BBY Galatic Presidental Election and I have never been fond of self apointed dictators controling planetary cannons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums