New Zealand
Visit site
✟32,027.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
'Scuse the dumb question but …

If a star collided with the earth what would happen? Would the earth survive the impact or would planet earth completely disintegrate? I'm not a rocket scientist and it's a hypothetical (admittedly) question. But let us assume a medium sized star ... (bang, :eek: clunk!) What do you think?

Gid in scientific mode :cool:

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat

If a star collided with the earth what would happen? Would the earth survive the impact or would planet earth completely disintegrate? I'm not a rocket scientist and it's a hypothetical (admittedly) question. But let us assume a medium sized star ... (bang, :eek: clunk!) What do you think?

I have a feeling that the earth would probably be incinerated even before the star hit it. It's safe to say that that planet would be completely, totally gone - left as nothing more than an interstellar scorch mark.

Picture an ant. Now picture an elephant, on fire, trampling said ant. That's kind of what it'd be like.

Upvote 0

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic

Something like a gnat hitting a windscreen at 100 kph. Not much from the windscreens point of view, but I wouldn't want to be the gnat/earth.

Upvote 0

Grengor

GrenAce
May 10, 2005
Oakley, California
✟18,998.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Republican

There is no such thing as a stupid ques...
Gideon said:
If a star collided with the earth what would happen? Would the earth survive the impact or would planet earth completely disintegrate?

...nvm
(j/k)
As far as I know the Earth would probably incinerate long before the Sun reached it's (no longer occupied) position. Also as Pete mentioned, the whole scale of 300,000,000 might be a problem for us as well. Just a tiny one.

Reactions: Dannager
Upvote 0

Dannager

Back in Town
May 5, 2005
✟11,819.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
US-Democrat
Also as Pete mentioned, the whole scale of 300,000,000 might be a problem for us as well. Just a tiny one.
Well, it's only 300,000 in terms of mass. Of course, that's because the sun is mostly comprised of low-mass elements (hydrogen and helium). Volume-wise, we're 1 / 1,300,000th the size of the sun, though. Nothing but a dust-speck to it.

Upvote 0

Morcova

Oct 30, 2006
✟10,470.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Libertarian
I have a feeling that the earth would probably be incinerated even before the star hit it. It's safe to say that that planet would be completely, totally gone - left as nothing more than an interstellar scorch mark.
Dannager is a great guy because he saved me the time of posting that answer myself!

Picture an ant. Now picture an elephant, on fire, trampling said ant. That's kind of what it'd be like.

LOL

Does it make me a particuallary bad person that I read that and my first thought was of a Bar-B-Que?

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Wow. Does all this mean this couldn't ever really happen?

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of the water--the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter." Rev. 8:10,11

:eek:

Upvote 0

Pete Harcoff

PeteAce - In memory of WinAce
Jun 30, 2002
✟9,874.00
Faith
Other Religion
This makes me worry a little about creationists on the whole. The fact that a collision with the sun would annihilate just about anything should be apparent to 8th graders. Is their education in science really this phenomenally lacking?
Nah, it's not creationists. Some people can't readily conceptualize the sheer vastness (or smallness) of things beyond everyday experience. It's more a human limitation than anything.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

I_Love_Cheese

Veteran
Jun 1, 2006
✟9,374.00
Faith
Agnostic
Wow. Does all this mean this couldn't ever really happen?

"The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of the water--the name of the star is Wormwood. A third of the waters turned bitter, and many people died from the waters that had become bitter." Rev. 8:10,11

:eek:
Well, if you are not to literal, a star could well describe a meteorite, and if it contained any significant quantity of HCN it could well cause the effects described. Cyanide is said to taste like bitter almond, though I am not sure how to account for the angel part.

I don't think this was what the OP meant by a star crashing into the earth, though if it was, that is a good description of how it might be recorded.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

• [bible]Revelation 8:10[/bible]
Here's a lesson in Hermeneutics 101:
  • Some Scripture was written using what's called the language of the observer.
Which means that if you interpret it literally, it usually won't make sense.

Upvote 0

Dr.GH

Doc WinAce fan
Apr 4, 2005
Dana Point, CA
Visit site
✟2,062.00
Faith
Taoist
The sun and the moon were believed to be planets that orbited the earth. The truth was not known until the 19th century CE. Even Newton had it wrong. The Geeks were close, but they still belived in theSumerian concept of pefect circles and a base 60 math. Base sixty is still used today in time, and geodesics. Go figure???

Upvote 0

lemmings

Veteran
Nov 5, 2006
California
✟18,469.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
[FONT=&quot]My apologies. :blush: Make that a meteor of very large size - something much smaller than the earth but larger than meteors that have hit in the past.

What kind of scenario would we have?

Gideon
[/FONT]
Mars + Earth = Earth, Moon

Earth + Sun = Sun

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hydra009

bel esprit
Oct 28, 2003
Raleigh, NC
✟18,036.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
My apologies. :blush: Make that a meteor of very large size - something much smaller than the earth but larger than meteors that have hit in the past.

What kind of scenario would we have?
The annihilation of a large portion of all species on the face of the planet, but except for having a nasty scar, Earth wouldn't be destroyed.

For comparison, the Chicxulub Crater was from a meteor about 10 km (6 miles) wide, hitting the Earth with the destructive force of about 100,000 gigatons of TNT. And that impact did some very nasty things. So with something bigger than that, I can guarantee you that we wouldn't ever have to worry about what to do after the impact.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
  • [bible]Revelation 8:10[/bible]
Here's a lesson in Hermeneutics 101:
  • Some Scripture was written using what's called the language of the observer.
Which means that if you interpret it literally, it usually won't make sense.
And all scripture was written by mere mortal men, and primitives who had no idea what they were talking about, which is another reason the Bible doesn't make sense. About the only way to make any sense out of it is to ignore most of what it really says, and 'interpret' heavily between the lines.

Upvote 0

Aron-Ra

Senior Veteran
Jul 3, 2004
Deep in the heart of the Bible belt
Visit site
✟14,521.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
If a standard-sized star were on a collision course with the Earth, our planet would be completely charred a good while before it ever arrived. Earth, the moon, Mars and Venus could all be destroyed by that same event, all of them would be enveloped in the on-coming star. Our sun would almost certainly be profoundly effected by it too.

If it were only a large planet, like Jupiter, temperatures would still soar, and the Earth would be yanked into peices even before impact. Our planet would disappear entirely into Jovian clouds erupting in a massive fireball that would might permanently mar the larger world's appearance.

If it were something relatively tiny, like one of the Martian moons, our global climate would be devestated. Anything larger than that, and all life of any kind everywhere would be incinerated in a single lava flow that would cover the whole world.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And all scripture was written by mere mortal men, and primitives who had no idea what they were talking about, which is another reason the Bible doesn't make sense. About the only way to make any sense out of it is to ignore most of what it really says, and 'interpret' heavily between the lines.

Those "primitives", as you call them, were a lot smarter than you think. Even "cavemen" back then would give our best scholars a run for their money, IMO.

Upvote 0