Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I think that Trump's shout out to Proud Boys means he is the "UNlawful and DISorderly" president.

BTW, "Antifa" is a buzzword the right uses to lump together isolated individual incidents of vandalism. "Antifa" has no website. No corporate address. No FB page. No Twitter. No instagram. No leadership. No structure.

There is no Antifa.

Interesting, because they have a dress code (all black with face coverings) and a flag.

Also a facebook page... Antifa International

If the Proud Boys are white supremacists...why do they have black members?

I would have seriously preferred to hear Biden not only condemn the violence, but say he would do something to stop it. If he really supported law and order, as Trump has proven to support via action and willingness to act, then he would have said so. He didn't. Stop the looting and rioting. Stopping lawlessness, especially on a massive scale, requires leaders willing to take action against it, not just words.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Trump has condemned white supremacy, KKK, Nazi’s etc. probably more than any other president! (A quick youtube search confirms this)

No it doesn't, and the idea that he's done that more than any other president is obviously absolute nonsense. Just because Trump claims to be the 'bestest EVAR president of EVERYTHING!!' doesn't mean that you have to copy him.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Why did you edit out the portion of Trump's answer where he said, "Sure, I'm prepared to do it", referring to Wallace's question of whether he would condemn white supremacy?

Seems kind of dishonest to me.

I didn't "edit it out" - he was talking over Wallace at the time. There was other cross talk that i couldn't succinctly transcribe. I've added it into the OP.

Of course, after being "prepared to do it", he didn't actually do it.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,402.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There is a balance between allowing the rights to peaceful assembly guaranteed in the First Amendment and ensuring Public Safety.
It is also true peaceful protesters are often joined by people with bad intentions. Sometimes those people are criminals who figure they can get away with something if things turn chaotic. Other times they are white nationalist groups who come in with paintballs and pepper spray to create a violent confrontation. Other times they may be infiltrators from the other side who are invested in making the peaceful protesters look bad. And lastly, government overreaction can create more violence then it stops.
Usually the onset of Colder Weather quickly stops prolonged protests. I think that enforcing curfews are a good way to keep protests orderly. The criminals come out at night.
Finally, it is absolutely wrong to attack one group of protesters, black lives matter, while telling another group, proud boys for example, that they can serve as your hateful auxiliaries.

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
You did. It doesn't appear in your quote, but it does appear on the video and in the transcript. It was dishonest of you to do so.

I transcribed the video myself. I didn't get all the cross talk. I didn't "edit it out".

His answer says different.

Perhaps you'd care to point out where he actually condemned white supremacists, rather than claiming he was prepared to do so?

Upvote 0

ZNP

Feb 20, 2020
Atlanta
✟61,779.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Trump: Proud Boys, stand back and stand by. But I'll tell you what, I'll tell you what - somebody's gotta do something about Antifa and the left, because this is not a right wing problem, this is a left wing...
Sounds like they are his personal militia

Upvote 0

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
Well, most adults who speak English recognize, "sure, I'm prepared to do that "to be an affirmative response.

No, it's not. It's a precursor to a response.

This: "I'm prepared to do that. I would say almost everything I see is from the left wing, not from the right wing." is not a condemnation of right wing violence.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Everything in his response communicated his disinterest and lack of concern regarding white supremacists. He had to be cajoled into denouncing them and only did so in the most minimal, half-hearted way he could imagine before trying to change the subject back to antifa. Whatever you think he meant by "stand back and stand by", the point he was getting across was that he's not concerned about them.

If I already answered this, sorry

But what do you think he meant by the reply?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's not a truth, that's a demand. And why would he spend more time than any president condemning white supremacy, then make demands of them? BTW in the picture provided in your link, is that a black guy in the sunglasses who is the leader of the Proud Boys? I thought they were supposed to be a racist organization! What type of racist organization are they that are lead by a black guy with white followers?
Extremists occupy different ends of the spectrum. Anarchists like Antifa on one end and Proud Boys, et al on the other.
Proud Boys are currently allied with White Supremacists because they share common ground in many areas. That gentleman you say is Black is actually Latino. But, they may look alike to some people.
PB has been evolving as noted in this article...
A regular media personality appearing in various conservative talk shows, McInnes announced to the world Proud Boys as a secret club for “Western chauvinists,” men (“women are not allowed”) focused on “anti-political correctness” and “anti-white guilt” with meetings that would consist of “drinking, fighting and reading aloud from Pat Buchanan’s Death of the West.”

Proud Boys are somewhat like militias that sprang up in other parts of the world, like Al Qaeda, who will work with groups that may actually differ, but have common agendas.

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's a paramilitary group that has been used for "security" in the past.

That's how bad things have gotten in the US. We have paramilitaries roaming the streets now, threatening to use intimidation and violence as political tools.

I would never have dreamed such a thing possible in the US, when I saw news reports of Contras in the 80's in Nicaragua. But it has happened. That's what's so damning about Trump's refusal to denounce these groups.
Yeah, last a Saturday they were all hanging out in a park walking around in military gear carrying rifles. And drinking...

Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yeah, last a Saturday they were all hanging out in a park walking around in military gear carrying rifles. And drinking...
It's a men's drinking club. Men with weapons and alcohol... what could be more American?

Upvote 0

Sparagmos

Oct 19, 2018
Portland, Oregon
✟278,062.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Trump should have just blanket condemned white supremacy rather than hemming and hawing about it. Could have saved himself a ton of fuss.
And he still could. He knows the proud boys are crowing about his “stand by” comment. Why doesn’t he call a presser and tell them in no uncertain terms they should stop with the threats and the violence, and that he did not mean what they thought he did?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

whatbogsends

Senior Veteran
Aug 29, 2003
Visit site
✟281,429.00
Faith
Atheist
If you ask me if I've chosen somebody to fill a position and I say, "Yes, I'm going to name him later", it's understood that I've chosen somebody.

However, if you're asked: "Are you prepared to name a candidate for a position?"
and respond with: "I'm prepared to do that. I tell you, we don't really need to fill that position." Then you didn't actually answer the question.

What "right wing violence"? Does Gropin' Joe have an obligation to condemn "left wing violence"?

The questions were based off of comments each candidates had made. Here was the exchange which Biden was asked a similar (definitely not the same):

At about 1:02:50

Wallace: Gentleman, I’m gonna take back control. And I want to get to another subject, which is the issue of protests in many cities that have turned violent. In Portland, Oregon, especially, we had more than 100 straight days of protests, which I think you would agree about peaceful protests. Many of those turned into riots. Mr. Vice President, you say that people who commit crimes should be held accountable. The question I have though is as the Democratic nominee, and earlier tonight you said that you are the Democratic Party right now. Have you ever called the Democratic mayor of Portland the Democratic governor of Oregon and said ‘Hey, you gotta stop this. Bring in the National Guard. Do whatever it takes. That you'd stop the days and months of violence in Portland?

Biden: I don't hold public office now. I am a former Vice President. I've made it clear, I've made it clear in my public statements that the violence should be prosecuted. Anyone who committed it --

Wallace: But you've never called for the people- Excuse me, sir. You’ve never called for the leaders in Portland, and in Oregon, to call in the national office and knock off 100 days of riots.

Biden: They can, in fact, take care of it if he’d just stay out of the way. Look-

Trump: Oh really? Oh really? -- The killer of a young man in the middle of the street and they shot him. For three days Portland didn’t do anything.

Wallace: President Trump. President Trump. I interrupt- President Trump

Of course, unlike Trump's response, Biden was interrupted by Trump and it wasn't allowed to finish. He did, however, make a wholly unconditioned "I've made it clear in my public statements that the violence should be prosecuted."

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's a men's drinking club. Men with weapons and alcohol... what could be more American?

....and having fun pointing weapons at protesters

(Reuters) - A supporter of the right-wing Proud Boys group who was indicted for pointing a firearm and firing a paintball gun at anti-racism protesters in Portland, Oregon, was arrested early on Wednesday, according to a county prosecutor.
Swinney, who has “Proud Boy” tattooed on his right arm, was indicted on Sept. 11 for allegedly spraying mace, causing physical harm with a paintball gun and pointing a revolver during demonstrations in Portland on Aug. 15 and Aug. 22, according to court documents.

Swinney is being held in the Multnomah County jail on 12 charges, including assault and unlawful use of a weapon, according to a statement by the Multnomah County District Attorney’s office.

Proud Boys member, who pointed gun, arrested in Portland

Upvote 0

wing2000

E pluribus unum
Site Supporter
Aug 18, 2012
✟1,427,424.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"....the four-degree initiation process of the Proud Boys:

1. Publicly declaring yourself a Proud Boy.
2. Being beat up by other members until you name five kinds of breakfast cereal. This degree also includes a vow to stop masturbating.
3. Getting a Proud Boy tattoo.
4. Engaging in physical violence with members of antifa, the leftist anti-fascist movement.

[2b may explain a lot! ^_^]

Why the Proud Boys Initiation Ritual Involves Cereal

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟557,941.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
If I already answered this, sorry

But what do you think he meant by the reply?

It was in the paragraph of mine you quoted:

Everything in his response communicated his disinterest and lack of concern regarding white supremacists. He had to be cajoled into denouncing them and only did so in the most minimal, half-hearted way he could imagine before trying to change the subject back to antifa. Whatever you think he meant by "stand back and stand by", the point he was getting across was that he's not concerned about them.​

Reactions: Pommer
Upvote 0